Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #45
FlyLikeEagle
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

To me the M3 has it over the Alfa. I'm awaiting delivery of my M3 at the end of the month and very closely compared it to the QV, taking 2 very long test drives of each at different dealers in my area. Forget the whole reliability "issue" with the Alfa though. I think nearly all early problems were just related to software and those seem to have been fixed. So let's just look at the car itself. Looks are subjective - I like the M3 better, but a lot of people like the Alfa. To each his own. I really preferred the M3's interior, especially with the full leather option. It is just a higher quality interior with superior infotainment, though the Alfa is ok in this area. The Alfa is a bit faster, but it did not offer the same visceral thrill as the M3, though the M3 I test drove and ordered had the Performance exhaust, which helps liven the driving experience. I thought the Alfa exhaust was too quiet. It's better in Race mode, but that's not a great mode to utilize in every day driving as all electronic nannies are off. I did like the fast steering on the Alfa, but preferred the heft of the steering in the M3. The tires that come as standard on the Alfa (Pirelli Corsa) are superior summer performance/track tires, but they aren't really good at temps below 50 degrees or in the rain. That's a negative factor for me in Chicago. The Alfa's DNA button is useful - and there is a big difference in ride quality between the settings which is very nice. The M3 drive settings also change the suspension stiffness, but the softest mode seems to be a little stiffer than the Alfa. So they each have their plusses, but for me the more exciting drive and the better place to be in was the M3!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #46
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
It's time. I have had the new car itch for a year and can't hold back anymore.

I have been driving a 2015 C63 507 Edition for the last three years and have enjoyed every minute of it. However, I need something different. I decided on the following 3 cars:

2018 M3 - Sakhir, Comp, Black 666 - 82K build

2017 Alfa QV - Missano Blue, Dark Tecnico wheels. Dealer is offering a nice discount on the 17. 76K build with discount 70K.

2017 Jaguar F-type R - Black with carbon wheels. This car is a one owner car with 4200 miles. 87K used

I have driven all the cars and loved each one of them. However, as you all know they are extremely different. The F-Type is scary fast and flat out obnoxious. Loved every minute of it; but it's used. The Alfa is by far the cheapest, sounds and drives great, and it's a brand I have never owned. The BMW is the icon and I miss being an owner. While the M3 and QV and similar in their approaches the Jag is in a different league. I have been going back and forth on the decision and can't make up my mind. Given this is a BMW forum I expect heavy leanings towards the M. With that said I have seen the thread wars on the Alfa and am expecting similar comments. Lastly, I know a couple of members here have jumped to the Jag and would love for them to chime in.

I know only I can make this decision but I was hoping to hear some comments that I may have not considered on my own. Any help with the decision would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry I am that guy, you buying or leasing and do you plan on keeping it long term?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #47
WERKE
President Directeur General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/ E92 M3 ESS/F-type R

F-Type R
      03-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #48
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

The F-Type sounds so good.

I would get it only if I was leasing.

If I was buying then 100% the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #49
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
Came from an M3 into an Alfa Quadrifoglio, and now looking to pick up either an F Type R or SVR to go along with the Alfa. Definitely NOT looking to sell the Alfa. As stated in the post above, it is a truly special drive. Can’t go wrong with either car though. ...garbage

M3 is solid, fun, well-equipped, but pretty common, and tends to get kind of boring after some time. .... garbage

Had a 2017 SVR Convertible for a week on vacation about a month ago down in Florida. Really fun, great sounding, beautiful looking car, but extremely impractical, and will definitely depreciate the most. In fact, many F Type R depreciated about $30-35k in the first year, which makes it a better pre-owned than new purchase. Trunk is also kind of a joke. With that said, I’ve never seen so many people whip out camera phones to take pictures of it while driving around in South Beach. Have had lots of fun cars in my life, but the overwhelmingly positive response was just off the charts. Odd considering how many exotics roam those same streets.

Lastly, for all the hate for the Alfa QV on this forum, mine and those of several friends, have been 100% reliable during the first year of ownership. Only software updates just after the launch. Jaguar is awesome and worthy of serious consideration if you want a drop dead gorgeous, fun to drive car, but it has already suffered a very significant history of reliability issues (electrical and mechanical recalls), and the infotainment system makes the Alfa’s look like a super computer, but I digress. Personally, that does not bother me when viewing it as more of a specialty car experience, hence my interest in getting one over say a clearly more reliable Porsche Boxster GTS.

Be brave and choose whatever makes you the happiest when you look at, sit in, drive, and listen to it. Life is short, so have some fun.
Funny that all your negative points for the M3 point to you being as useful as a three-toed tree sloth behind the wheel. A stock M3 is already faster, better handling, and a better performing car out of the box than the higher HP, stickier-tired Alfa. It would have taken $0 to improve your M3. Oh well, Alfa's win, BMW's win, and your loss.

You're already been banned once for being a QV fanboy... give it a rest already. Constructive criticism is deserved on both sides, but take your blinders off.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #50
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

faced a similar choice at the beginning of the month - cross shopped, among other cars, the QV, M3 GTS and F-Type SVR.

i'll be totally honest - the Alfa got stricken from the list as soon as i started reading that the test units weren't even making it through the road tests. i am glad, however, that at least one person on this thread has had no reliability issues.

the Jag is the prettiest car, but i find it somewhat contrived. it's like they took a quiet, refined, luxury GT and inexplicably made the exhaust loud af. everything else is refined and somewhat disconnected. with that said, i could have bought it and would probably have been happy with it for some time.

so i bought the M4 GTS. not a perfect car by any means, but it was the best of the options i had. but i'm really enjoying it and have not driven any of my other cars for the past two weeks. i'll be honest though - i drove the first 2014-15 (con't remember MY) M4's and didn't like them at all. would have taken an AMG or an F-type over those. but this GTS totally fixes all the things i hated. i haven't driven the LCI/comp pkg, so i hope that's also a big improvement over the first ones in the generation.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #51
REDEV217342
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 (sold)

[QUOTE=erind;22899213]Still have both. Buy the Jag man. Its a no brainer if you do not need 4 doors.

Beautiful. If you can have both, get both. Don't need a backseat and can only have one, get the Jag.

Last edited by REDEV217342; 03-20-2018 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #52
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

I'm no M fan boy, but the only car out of this bunch that's over-engineered to handle the rigors of enthusiastic driving lap after lap is the M, bar none. This is of great importance to me. From the efficient and over-built cooling system to the rear sub-frame bolted directly to the body in white, all this near excessive for street car design is straight out of BMW's motorsport program. Heck, just pop open the hood and look underneath the shiny paint. It tells a compelling story.

Jaguar, Alfa... nice to have options, but these rigs will fall apart when the F8X is just getting started.

BTW, if you plan on modding... there are no other options.
      03-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #53
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
M3, no question...and this is after the following sequence...
2015 Alpine White M4...
2016 Polaris White F-Type Coupe R...
2017 Sakhir Orange M3 ZCP...
2017 Ultimate Black F-Type Coupe R...
2018 Tanzanite Blue M3 ZCP

All within 3yrs!!!

Props! Cleanest garage i've ever seen!!!

In regards to OP questions; have you driven a C7 vette ? honestly i personally think it shits on the JAG and love the way both look. But the LSX has much more aftermarket support and reliability over the JAG imho. They are right around that price range brand new (non Z06).

My final debate was between 15+ CTS-V, C7 Vette, and the F80 M3.

I own an M3; however if the CTS-V had come with the vette 7 speed manual it would be a completely different story. (I also required the 4 door which is why the vette was out for me)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 06:05 AM   #54
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post
Props! Cleanest garage i've ever seen!!!
Thanks...more here:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=319

And speaking of the vette, I was this close to unloading my previous white Jag for this GS 7sp. It was like that transmission was built around the car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post
In regards to OP questions; have you driven a C7 vette ? honestly i personally think it shits on the JAG and love the way both look. But the LSX has much more aftermarket support and reliability over the JAG imho. They are right around that price range brand new (non Z06).

My final debate was between 15+ CTS-V, C7 Vette, and the F80 M3.

I own an M3; however if the CTS-V had come with the vette 7 speed manual it would be a completely different story. (I also required the 4 door which is why the vette was out for me)
Attached Images

'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0