R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #89
jballs16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 RS6, RR LWB, Raptor

Removing the tune is akin to the right to remain silent. The purpose isn't too help a criminal get away with a crime, but to stop an otherwise innocent person from falsely incriminating themself.

Imagine if all the N54 guys left their tunes in when the hpfp failed? BMW would undoubtedly blame the fault on the piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #90
EndBosS
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Coupé

Garage List
2024 XM  [9.00]
2022 G01 X3 LCI xDr ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Sorry if this was answered but how long does this process take once you have the ECU in hand?

Thanks
the ECU comes in, leaves the same day with UPS express
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #91
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #92
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I had a local tuner told me this morning they will be getting this unlock and will be tuning. Good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #93
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I am still trying to understand the convenience factor that this offers over currently available piggies that can be installed within 10 minutes. It can be done at any time and a basic pump gas tune requires connecting 2 cables. Flashes virtually had no realm in the n54 world until hand held tuners were released.
      12-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #94
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I am still trying to understand the convenience factor that this offers over currently available piggies that can be installed within 10 minutes. It can be done at any time and a basic pump gas tune requires connecting 2 cables. Flashes virtually had no realm in the n54 world until hand held tuners were released.
The difference between just tricking the car to add more boost vs a full tune? Thats the way I look at it personally. Ability to code out CEL without tapping into wires which to me is totally detectable.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #95
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
The difference between just tricking the car to add more boost vs a full tune? Thats the way I look at it personally.

I agree with DMK's comments. flashing is a desired option for many reasons.

additionally, to get the full benefit of a piggy you need to spend a lot more than 10 minutes hooking it up. tapping into wires etc.

I personally prefer to have all of the parameters changed via a flash to work in concert with each other, rather than having boost modified and having the rest sort itself out. its a more comprehensive solution IMO.

and no, this is not an invite for debate. I have experienced each for myself on previous BMW cars, and have formed my opinion based on my experiences. yours may be different, no reason to discuss here and go OT.

the flash is an important first step, and while at the moment there is no hand held flasher, you can bet your bottom dollar its coming. I lol'd when people said this car would never be flashed, and just like that I will predict hand held flashers to be available.
      12-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #96
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Neither of you answered the ultimate question... ease of install and convenience.

The tuner installed flashes offer neither one of these. The way the tune works is a completely different discussion and aside from this convo. As I said previously, the N54 world had virtually a 0 take rate on flashes until hand helds were available and user customizability was offered.
      12-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #97
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Neither of you answered the ultimate question... ease of install and convenience.

The tuner installed flashes offer neither one of these. The way the tune works is a completely different discussion and aside from this convo. As I said previously, the N54 world had virtually a 0 take rate on flashes until hand helds were available and user customizability was offered.
If I can drive to my local tuner 10 minutes away and they can flash it on a dyno while reading real readings. I think thats pretty easy?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #98
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:

If I can drive to my local tuner 10 minutes away and they can flash it on a dyno while reading real readings. I think thats pretty easy?
Yes, until you are stuck on the side of a highway with something random broken... then how do you deal with the tune if you have to take the car to a dealer? You say 10 minutes, assuming you have someone close to you.
      12-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #99
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
see answer above

I have installed these piggies before. you touch one thing wrong with a screwdriver, make a scratch, mark up a wire, mess up or scratch the tabs on anything, and the dealer can use that against you. I have seen it with friends of mine, seen the dealer in action.

a flash at a local dealer is easy and convenient. also less risk for a faulty install, and easier to troubleshoot should something not look right. plus, dynoing and data logging on the spot is an added bonus
      12-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #100
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:

Quote:
see answer above

I have installed these piggies before. you touch one thing wrong with a screwdriver, make a scratch, mark up a wire, mess up or scratch the tabs on anything, and the dealer can use that against you. I have seen it with friends of mine, seen the dealer in action.

a flash at a local dealer is easy and convenient. also less risk for a faulty install, and easier to troubleshoot should something not look right. plus, dynoing and data logging on the spot is an added bonus
Have you seen the install instructions for the jb stg1?
      12-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #101
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
see answer above

Kenny, we're usually on the same page, but that's just overly paranoid. Any of that could happen at any point. Even if I were completely stock and just Curious George style go and unplug things and plug them back in and happen to scratch something, they arent going to void my warranty. They have to prove that you did something to the vehicle with empirical evidence or something such as a broken tamper seal. They can't just guess and assume the customer is always at fault.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #102
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes and it won't remove CEL so no downpipes. I dont know why this is a debate its just preference.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #103
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
this is why I said to get full functionality in a previous post. stage 1 is not something I would run personally, for many reasons. but OT so......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Kenny, we're usually on the same page, but that's just overly paranoid. Any of that could happen at any point. Even if I were completely stock and just Curious George style go and unplug things and plug them back in and happen to scratch something, they arent going to void my warranty. They have to prove that you did something to the vehicle with empirical evidence or something such as a broken tamper seal. They can't just guess and assume the customer is always at fault.
the thing is that while this may be technically true, what they will do is say "we cant work on the car". and what are you going to do about it? you basically will have to deal with BMW NA, and even then possibly sue them.

they don't care about those laws, and will not perform the work. again, this isn't theory, its what actually happened to multiple people and myself on a very weird issue on a previous car. you wouldn't believe the shit they made up (IE that I tapped into o2 sensor wires to tune the car, as if that's how a tune is connected to the car). I asked for documentation, and they said "yeah well, we cant do any work sorry".

so, at the end of the day, it puts you in a tough spot. not all dealers are the same, but this is how some of ours are.

:twocents:

EDIT : imo all tuning solutions and mods carry risks depending on your dealer and how much they want to make things up or look into things. my car is stock for these reasons. but that's a personal choice, and if I did mod I would be aware of the risks like I know you and most others here are
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #104
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballs16
Removing the tune is akin to the right to remain silent. The purpose isn't too help a criminal get away with a crime, but to stop an otherwise innocent person from falsely incriminating themself.

Imagine if all the N54 guys left their tunes in when the hpfp failed? BMW would undoubtedly blame the fault on the piggyback.
Can't say how your legal system is, but most countries I know a bit about have separate criminal and civil law system. The right not to incriminate yourselves is related to criminal law, not civil law... AFAIK

Yes, a tune would definitely be the easy way out for BMW in a warranty claim. No argument there.

It's just the business ethics of this "we will remove any trace" policy that is interesting. As we all know, BMW also reads forums and keep track of what happens in the tuning industry. They also have intelligent software developers that might have built in detection systems that we don't know about etc.

My worry is that this might be used against the tuning industry and lead to strict policing and legislation...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #105
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
I had a local tuner told me this morning they will be getting this unlock and will be tuning. Good stuff.
I heard similar news this morning with some HP and TQ numbers.

Exciting for us so soon compared to the M5/6 crowd.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #106
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
I heard similar news this morning with some HP and TQ numbers.

Exciting for us so soon compared to the M5/6 crowd.
hopefully GIAC also gets this tech. one of my local shops that I like to use is a GIAC dealer.
      12-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #107
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
You realize that means fk all around here?
I'm sure it means plenty to his bank account tho. So who cares what it means on a forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #108
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBosS View Post
people who are in this business will know who we are... it's us that developped the HW
You realize that means fk all around here?
He is clearly in the B2B sector and is using the forum to attract attention for potential dealers in the US.

Good for him, IP should be rewarded.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #109
EndBosS
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Coupé

Garage List
2024 XM  [9.00]
2022 G01 X3 LCI xDr ...  [0.00]
YOLO

Last edited by EndBosS; 12-19-2014 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #110
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBosS
YOLO