Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

03-10-2017, 05:55 AM   #45
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Panerai is the older company but Rolex is definitely more well known to non-afficianados.

I'd say it's more like Rolex is better at marketing their history. Panerai is around 40 years older as a company.

Rolex is also way more into sponsorships of things like motorsports, horse racing, yacht racing, etc. Again, they have some strong marketers who have been able to keep the Rolex name in the limelight at glamorous events.
It might be 40 years older but not at making watches.
In fact, all Panerai movements were provided by Rolex when Panerai got commissioned by the Italian Navy to make a dive watch. They made diving tools, so they made a case, Rolex gave them the "watch" side of things.

Even after Rolex stopped providing movements, Panerai still had no clue so it went to ETA for movements. It isn't until modern history that Panerai has gotten seriously into the watch game and definitely after Silvester Stallone saved them from extinction.

Rolex is way way more prestigious in the Swiss watch industry than Panerai. Even Thierry Stern chairman of Patek, said, I wish Rolex would let me see the inside of their production and development side, for a company that nakes close to a million watches annually, they are unparelled in quality and prestige.

I like Panerai but when it comes to out right watch history and heritage, Rolex is light years ahead.
Resale on just about every single "boring" Rolex is high except for precious metals and woman's models. The Datejust depreciates a bit but compared to the new car dive a Panerai takes, it's no comparison....with the exception of a few models like the 398, 372, 1950....and purposely limited editions.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      03-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #46
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'd shop this same question on the Watches subforum, and might ask after some other less common alternatives if he likes all the added complications/dials on the Breitlings (I don't, so I'm clueless - even a day/date is more clutter than I prefer).

Since this is a retirement gift, I'd put aside considerations of resale value - it has 'heirloom' written all over it, and if you think dad will need the cash someday, then a superfine watch is a waste (most reports are that Rolex holds more of their value, but unless it is quite rare they don't really appreciate as an investment and most lose some value).

If he only has one, or a few, then he probably won't appreciate the unusual or idiosyncratic style of a Panerai as much as a classic like a Rolex or an Omega; might consider something like the miligauss or another non-dive style if you want something a little bit unusual that is still classic (or the Omegas - not as famous, but in many ways on a par w/ Rolex). If he is one of those individualists who is really into value over name brand, there are some smaller brands (or the Seiko specials) that he might appreciate more as kind of anti-showoff 'underdogs'.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 12:21 AM   #47
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Rolex Watches are classic timepieces, that hold value.
Panerai, your shipped has sailed.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #48
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Modern Panerai is a 25 year old trend started with Sylvester Stallone in Daylight.And marketing did the rest

I love the classic Angelus/Rolex equipped Panerais, also Panerai had the first real divewatch(Italian Navy) vs Blancpain FF and Rolex Sub a few decades later.

A few years ago I had a PAM 320 GMT(visited their shop in Florence centre a few years ago), I loved that watch as I love IWC(as a brand/in general) and JLC as well.

But Rolex is Rolex. My old man is a watchmaker...

Cheers
Robin (SD4K 116600)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #49
Dan.E46
E46Fanatics OG
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPPSK

Garage List
I have a Panerai PAM 312 and a Rolex Sea Dweller (116600). Both different time pieces for different occasions. Though the PAM can be worn in a formal/business setting, I find that I tend to wear it for more casual occasions (probably due to the kind of strap I use). The Rolex I go between casual/semi-formal to formal/business.

With that said, as far as the brands go, I believe Rolex is in a higher league when compared to Panerai. Without question, Rolex hold their value better and is synonymous with luxury. Panerai just doesn't have the same pedigree.

At the end of the day, it is up to the individual.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 04:49 AM   #50
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I believe without Stallone , we might have not heard of the brand that exists .They're making cool watches but Rolex has a league of its own .
      03-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #51
8_is_enough
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 GT3, 18 Macan GTS, 22 X540i

I'd get him the Rolex. Between the two brands, Rolexes are built better, have better resale value, and are more recognized (for better or worse). I have both and paid the same price for each one, but I'd pick the Rolex if I could only have one.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #52
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

rolex

based on the occasion i would say Rolex. Rolex is the most undeniable watch out there. Everyone recognizes it and it is a sign of achievement and wealth for majority of the population.

Most iconic would be your submariner and although everyone and their moms has one its is hard not to notice one on someones wrist.

Rolex goes with everything, dressed up or down.

When I started collecting several years back my first watch was a rolex datejust. my collection evolved to many other brands but ended up getting SS Daytona. Waiting for the SS Sky to come out.

I have pam 320 which i do wear often but its large on my wrist. Very sporty and weekend watch as it doesn't fit in my sleeves on my dress shirts. Love that you can easily switch bands but something about black face and brown bands doesn't work for me. it is now my vacation watch and wear it solely with the rubber strap.

if you can get your hands on a SS Daytona thats the unicorn of rolexes and your dad will set himself apart from everyone else but with a iconic and classic timepiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_is_enough View Post
I'd get him the Rolex. Between the two brands, Rolexes are built better, have better resale value, and are more recognized (for better or worse). I have both and paid the same price for each one, but I'd pick the Rolex if I could only have one.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 01:14 AM   #53
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

The Panerai ship has sailed in my book. Was never a fan of big watches. 36mm - 40mm for me is the perfect size for a watch.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #54
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
The Panerai ship has sailed in my book. Was never a fan of big watches. 36mm - 40mm for me is the perfect size for a watch.
At 6'4" and ~230lbs, 40mm is a bare minimum for me. Actually I don't much like anything under 42mm. I do, however, kind of like the new 42mm Explorers.

Horses for courses, right?

I've owned multiple Panerai, a couple of Breitlings (current watch is a Skyland) and even an Omega or two.

I keep going to back to Panerai - nothing else seems to scratch that itch. Nearly exclusively older watches, though. Most of the new stuff from Panerai leaves me cold, other than the 372 and some of the 47mm Radiomirs. I just wish the Daylight Chronos like the 196 or 188 had a better WR number.

Oh, and Panerai's move to in-house movements can be traced to about the same time that Richemont bought Minerva. This is not a coincidence.

-Trent

Last edited by hooligan_G01; 11-30-2017 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #55
KillerKhan
Eurobimmer
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 MSport

Nice to find watch lovers here...

A PAM is forever

Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      12-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #56
stellutz462
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, GS430

How about some other brands, maybe JLC? I’m obsessed with this one:
Jaeger LeCoultre
Master Chronograph Mens Watch
Model #: 1538420
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #57
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
charlize theron
She's gorgeous even when she's filthy, with a buzzcut and an artificial arm.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #58
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

My daily driver is a Rolex Milgauss. It's a little quirky with the green crystal and lighting bolt second hand, but still has Rolex build quality.

I'm a lawyer in semi-rural Northern California, where there are relatively few watch aficionados, and wearing a nice watch is part of the image that attracts clients. Most people here wouldn't know a Zenith from a Seiko, or a Panerai from a Fossil, but a Rolex says Rolex.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #59
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKhan View Post
Nice to find watch lovers here...

A PAM is forever

Nice PAM082 Vespucci! Got any more pics for us?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #60
HandmadeShifts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

I have both, Rolex subC as my daily and panerai whenever I feel like I need a change. paneral grabs attention, Rolex blends in like an ordinary watch.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #61
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Panerai is becoming quite popular and for good reason. They're clean and unique. When I think Rolex, I think unoriginal and boring.
When you think Rolex, you should think quality and when you think panerai, you should think cheap. (yes I'm commenting on a really old post but its more a general opinion/post)
Just google the 'scandal' about panerai PAM318, or the fact that they now use snapback backlids on some of their cases. Thats not very worthy of a brand that advocats Military heritage and divers heritage and adapts a ruggedness style.
Even an $80 seiko 5 has a screw down back.
A snapback case only has a purpose on a dresswatch or a lady's watch imho.

Also with a Rolex you're sure to get an inhouse movement. Thats something one should expect in these price ranges, especially these days. I also dont think that the movements Panerai uses are technically as refined as Rolex movements.

I think from the luminor marina there are also versions with snapback case (not sure though)
As a brand panerai is rolling downhill very very fast imho due to these things where they're clearly cheaping out on multiple models. As fast as Panerai got popular, I think actions like these will result in an equally fast demise. Rolex has been at the top of their game for pretty much as long as they have been around. maybe not because of their uniqueness but because of their quality (Panerai used to use rolex parts because of their quality ). Panerai only seem to know how to do one style, and that (used to) rugged military style is now turning into a cheaper, more technically comprimized clone of itself. They're not going forewards, they're going backwards. But maybe I'm looking at it too much from a technical/horological pov.
Maybe if I had to pick a panerai I'd pick a used one from a certain era instead of a new one
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 12-12-2017 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #62
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

rolex
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #63
KillerKhan
Eurobimmer
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
Nice PAM082 Vespucci! Got any more pics for us?
Hey, mate... glad you appreciate it! finding someone who knows and like this PAM ain't usual at all .)

on a oxblood/burgundy leather on deplo

in full sun

with wifey, both on vintage NATOs

nice shaped body on his shark with matching stitching

And it's very special feature

Very glad to share
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #64
KillerKhan
Eurobimmer
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
When you think Rolex, you should think quality and when you think panerai, you should think cheap. (yes I'm commenting on a really old post but its more a general opinion/post)
Just google the 'scandal' about panerai PAM318, or the fact that they now use snapback backlids on some of their cases. Thats not very worthy of a brand that advocats Military heritage and divers heritage and adapts a ruggedness style.
Even an $80 seiko 5 has a screw down back.
A snapback case only has a purpose on a dresswatch or a lady's watch imho.

Also with a Rolex you're sure to get an inhouse movement. Thats something one should expect in these price ranges, especially these days. I also dont think that the movements Panerai uses are technically as refined as Rolex movements.

I think from the luminor marina there are also versions with snapback case (not sure though)
As a brand panerai is rolling downhill very very fast imho due to these things where they're clearly cheaping out on multiple models. As fast as Panerai got popular, I think actions like these will result in an equally fast demise. Rolex has been at the top of their game for pretty much as long as they have been around. maybe not because of their uniqueness but because of their quality (Panerai used to use rolex parts because of their quality ). Panerai only seem to know how to do one style, and that (used to) rugged military style is now turning into a cheaper, more technically comprimized clone of itself. They're not going forewards, they're going backwards. But maybe I'm looking at it too much from a technical/horological pov.
Maybe if I had to pick a panerai I'd pick a used one from a certain era instead of a new one
I do totally agree with you.
Busness is business but the Panerai heritage has been destroyed and will never come back
The real PAMs are:
- only manual mov, no automatic
- no complications like gmt, rattrapante, moonphase, power reserve, chrono and others... just time and, borderline, the "secondina" (the small dial for seconds @9)
- only radiomir and luminor classic cases, not less that 44mm
- only stainless steel or titanium cases, ceramic is already too much
- no white dials and other frills or marks like Submersible, slytech, black label, 8 days..
Pam should be rough, mannish watches...

I am talking as a proud owner of a semi destroyed 6152 Marina Militare

Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      12-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #65
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

^Thats not semi destroyed. For a real Panerai thats just the right amount of patina
A working watch that had a working life.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      12-27-2017, 03:53 AM   #66
KillerKhan
Eurobimmer
Italy
Rep

Just to make things fair, also some rolexes have their own life on...

Appreciate 0