Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

F8x Console Buttons (Near the shift lever)

Thanks everyone for helping identify these.

From top to bottom:

(1) DSC (could only toggle on/off for E9x M3, now can select MDM mode as well)
(2) Throttle mapping (equivalent to "Power" button for E9x M3)
(3) Adaptive M Suspension (equivalent to "EDC" button for E9x M3) (optional)
(4) Steering Weight (only changeable via M Drive for E9x M3, now gets its own button)
(5) Sideview cameras (optional)
(6) PDC on/off (optional)

(above quoted and modified from southlight's summarization)

And the button on the chrome shifter surround controls the DCT shift program (Drivelogic).

With Adaptive M Suspension:

Without Adaptive M Suspension:

F30 for comparison, showing DDC switch instead of M DDC buttons:

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
BTW, found this one:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
That would be my guess too. I've seen other pics that show an icon of a coilover on that unlabeled button. It's a bit crappy that BMW includes a non-functioning button if you don't order EDC.
I guess I will have unlabeled buttons for the "park distance control" and "camera" spots in my car
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:
That would be my guess too. I've seen other pics that show an icon of a coilover on that unlabeled button. It's a bit crappy that BMW includes a non-functioning button if you don't order EDC.
I guess I will have unlabeled buttons for the "park distance control" and "camera" spots in my car
You should paint icons of an oil slick and an ejector seat on those, and change the subject awkwardly whenever a friend asks you what they do.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You should paint icons of an oil slick and an ejector seat on those, and change the subject awkwardly whenever a friend asks you what they do.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
It's a bit crappy that BMW includes a non-functioning button if you don't order EDC.
Actually I think is awesome that an idle button exists for someone that would like to wire up V1 ON/OFF capability to it...or whatever else tickles their fancy.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's a bit crappy that BMW includes a non-functioning button if you don't order EDC.
You mean as opposed to a different trim piece with no hole at all. Yeah that would look nicer. This is obviously the cheaper route. But I'll bet it adds weight! (j/k)

I do notice that this button is in the area with the separate chrome trim piece, so maybe production cars will actually have one with no hole/blank.

By the way, Sedan_Clan, are these buttons and console area the same as those in your 335i? I think the 3 Series has all of these adjustments available too, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72
Quote:
Actually I think is awesome that an idle button exists for someone that would like to wire up V1 ON/OFF capability to it...or whatever else tickles their fancy.
Fair point. I wonder if dead buttons are clickable or if they're just static, though.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Park distance would be my guess for the sixth button.
PDC is the lowest one with the "P", right? Or no?

Quote:
BTW, found this one:
Thanks.

By the way, with I-Drive standard now, and the fact that there are two M Buttons for customization, I'm not sure how I feel about all of these buttons on the console. Yes its convenient, but sometimes less is more. I think I want the iPhone version of a car interior. No, I take that back - there would be no steering wheel. I guess that's coming in a couple decades.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fair point. I wonder if dead buttons are clickable or if they're just static, though.
I'll bet they are fixed like other similar placeholders in other BMWs and other cars for that matter. Of course you could always replace it with a real button for customization purposes.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
I do too!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I'll bet they are fixed like other similar placeholders in other BMWs and other cars for that matter. Of course you could always replace it with a real button for customization purposes.
In the past it just required a quick filing of a plastic 'lip', and the button becomes usable.

P.S. The "P" button is for PDC/back-up camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
That is indeed the final piece to this puzzle.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
P.S. The "P" button is for PDC/back-up camera.
What's the one with the gauge on it though?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Throttle sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That would be DCT shift speeds, no?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #17
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
That would be DCT shift speeds, no?
He's referring to the one with the speedometer style icon. The one with the 'bar graph' icon is the DCT shift speed button.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #18
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He's referring to the one with the speedometer style icon. The one with the 'bar graph' icon is the DCT shift speed button.
The old "power" functionality would be my guess. i.e. - increased throttle sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
The old "power" functionality would be my guess. i.e. - increased throttle sensitivity.
Hopefully these modes are key dependent or have memory. I'd hate to have to treat the car like a plane cockpit, and poke a bunch of buttons every time I'm about to go somewhere. It's bad enough that the F30 335i/435i reverts some of the systems back to a default when you shut the car off.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #20
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully these modes are key dependent or have memory. I'd hate to have to treat the car like a plane cockpit, and poke a bunch of buttons every time I'm about to go somewhere. It's bad enough that the F30 335i/435i reverts some of the systems back to a default when you shut the car off.
That's what the M button is for.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
That's what the M button is for.
That button has nothing to do with the key dependent memory settings that I was referring to. The F-Series doesn't remember all settings, which is why it reverts back to a default. Auto Start Stop, for example, just gained memory settings in 2014. Earlier model F-Series cars didn't have memory (..or rather, memory was deactivated from the factory, and can only be changed via coding).

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #22
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That button has nothing to do with the key dependent memory settings that I was referring to. The F-Series doesn't remember all settings, which is why it reverts back to a default. Auto Start Stop, for example, just gained memory settings in 2014. Earlier model F-Series cars didn't have memory (..or rather, memory was deactivated from the factory, and can only be changed via coding).

I can't speak to key-dependent memory settings in F cars, but in the E9xM cars, you can set everything you want (including the "power" setting we were talking about earlier) on the click of that M button.
Appreciate 0