European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Bimmertech MMI Back Up Camera Review

Finally got my Bimmertech MMI back up camera working.

My mini review is as follows:

Communication:
A - Bimmertech was overly responsive to emails and answered all of my questions. Even gave me a promo code when asked. Customer service on point.

Packaging:
A - Nice box with contents easily laid out and neatly packaged.

Shipping:
A - Extremely fast. Shipping from Poland took only a few days.

Product:
B+ - The camera picture looks pretty good (although only had it installed today). The picture is pretty clear, but something about it doesn't feel "OEM" which I guess really can't be a complaint since it's not OEM. All in all, it's a pretty good picture and takes up the entire screen when put into reverse. The switch to the camera when it goes into reverse is seamless. Only negative is that when technicpnp did the install, the MMI module was fried so needed to wait for a new one. The addition of the parking lines also is a nice feature. New module, camera works great.

Installation:
A - Had it installed by technicpnp in Fort Lauderdale. He did a great job and helped out since the first install didn't go as planned since the module was fried. He did a great job!

Value:
B+ - Camera plus installation is in the $800-$900 range which is a huge difference from the executive package. For those who had no interest in any other feature in the executive package other than the backup camera, this is definitely an alternative to consider.
      07-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #2
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Glad to hear it worked out well. I thought I heard there were some problems with the 16's and newer, with the color screen or something.

BTW, do you have the HK audio system?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

MMI kit is the only one that is compatible with a 16 from what I understand. That's what I got.

Yes, I have HK.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
ecf34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Installation cost is variable depending on where you live. It costed me $660 for installation alone (although I also had the front cam) but that's still ~$3000 less than the Exec Pack, plus I get a sweet front cam and no ugly holes in my bumper.

One thing about the backup cam is that it's slightly offset from center due to the location of the camera. Not sure if this is the case with the OEM camera but the on-screen center isn't actually the midpoint of the car. I've learned to park my car slightly left of the image.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecf34 View Post
Installation cost is variable depending on where you live. It costed me $660 for installation alone (although I also had the front cam) but that's still ~$3000 less than the Exec Pack, plus I get a sweet front cam and no ugly holes in my bumper.

One thing about the backup cam is that it's slightly offset from center due to the location of the camera. Not sure if this is the case with the OEM camera but the on-screen center isn't actually the midpoint of the car. I've learned to park my car slightly left of the image.
Wow $660 for installation seems high! My quote for rear view and front facing was $340 (I decided just to do rear fyi).

I believe the camera is in the same place for OEM, so your off center issue is probably the same (although I can't confirm). I haven't really noticed it but I see if I'll need to start parking further left.
      07-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
Rx7andy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

My MMI rear camera stopped working after a month. My iDrive screen goes blank once I put the car in reverse and it stays blank for the duration of the drive. When I restart the car after it has been parked for a while the iDrive screen works until I put the car in reverse.

I'm in contact with Bimmertech and the installer and will report back on what we find.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx7andy View Post
My MMI rear camera stopped working after a month. My iDrive screen goes blank once I put the car in reverse and it stays blank for the duration of the drive. When I restart the car after it has been parked for a while the iDrive screen works until I put the car in reverse.

I'm in contact with Bimmertech and the installer and will report back on what we find.
Have you done anything since you installed the camera? Coding, other elec. mods? Not sure what that would cause an issue with the camera/iDrive, but you never know.

Keep me posted.
      07-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
Rx7andy
Private First Class
Rep

Nope didn't do anything. It just stopped working 2 days ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope didn't do anything. It just stopped working 2 days ago.
Ugh. That sucks. Hopefully they'll get it fixed. The guys at Bimmertech are very responsive.
      07-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #10
Rx7andy
Private First Class
Rep

Yes been talking to Nelson and already emailed him a video of the symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes been talking to Nelson and already emailed him a video of the symptoms.
Any diagnosis?
      08-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #12
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

What made you guys choose this over an OEM kit? Just the cost savings?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #13
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
MMI is the only thing that integrates with a '16. Bimmertech was having problems with the other kits (i.e., picture only being in black and white).

Give them your VIN and they'll tell you which is compatible (I assume it's still only MMI).
      08-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
MMI is the only thing that integrates with a '16. Bimmertech was having problems with the other kits (i.e., picture only being in black and white).

Give them your VIN and they'll tell you which is compatible (I assume it's still only MMI).
I will but not sure how the BMW OEM Camera couldn't be compatible?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #15
AlbeeM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2016

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
MMI kit is the only one that is compatible with a 16 from what I understand. That's what I got.

Yes, I have HK.
Which transmission do you have KnightedBMW ? DCT or 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will but not sure how the BMW OEM Camera couldn't be compatible?
Not sure. They def know more than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbeeM View Post
Which transmission do you have KnightedBMW ? DCT or 6MT?
DCT
      08-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #17
Rx7andy
Private First Class
Rep

I had chosen the MMI kit because I also wanted the front camera in addition to the rear camera so I'll be less likely to damage my front lip when I park head in. I have a 2015 F80.

The installer checked all the wires and connectors and they are all good. I've sent an email to Bimmertech asking for a replacement camera and harness.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #18
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
I was in the market for a rear/front camera and almost had it installed, though its difficult to find someone locally that I'd trust and the prices were pretty high. The primary reason for not getting the Executive pack was I didn't care about all the features included other than the camera and couldn't justify spending $3500. I've since decided to retrain myself to driving w/out a camera (even my 09 335 has sensors). It been a bit of a change but I've gotten used to it.

It also irks me a bit how BMW packages an option that is available on cars that are much less expensive so I guess its kinda my way of expressing my opinion with my wallet. Fortunately this will all change in 18 and BMW will have to have it standard, even though they'll past this cost on to us.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #19
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMV///M3 View Post
I was in the market for a rear/front camera and almost had it installed, though its difficult to find someone locally that I'd trust and the prices were pretty high. The primary reason for not getting the Executive pack was I didn't care about all the features included other than the camera and couldn't justify spending $3500. I've since decided to retrain myself to driving w/out a camera (even my 09 335 has sensors). It been a bit of a change but I've gotten used to it.

It also irks me a bit how BMW packages an option that is available on cars that are much less expensive so I guess its kinda my way of expressing my opinion with my wallet. Fortunately this will all change in 18 and BMW will have to have it standard, even though they'll past this cost on to us.
By OEM kit I meant the back-up camera you can buy for like $900 from bimmertech not the Exec Pack. I too find the Exec Pack tro be a ton of fluff and didn't order it on my new car. I too had to retrain myself to not blindly back into stuff. But I would still like a camera as my 2008 4runner has a factory one but my 82k MSRP 2016 M4 doesnt....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #20
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:

By OEM kit I meant the back-up camera you can buy for like $900 from bimmertech not the Exec Pack. I too find the Exec Pack tro be a ton of fluff and didn't order it on my new car. I too had to retrain myself to not blindly back into stuff. But I would still like a camera as my 2008 4runner has a factory one but my 82k MSRP 2016 M4 doesnt....
Ahhh ok I got ya. For 2016 the MMI kit is the only one available for our cars, from BimmerTech at least. There's another thread regarding why they couldn't get the OEM kit to work properly on our model years.

Yea it's not that bad once you get used to it, don't get me wrong I do miss the added comfort of at least sensors, but I'm about 6 weeks in and getting more comfortable judging distance. Negotiating pull in parking and getting closer to curbs is another story, I still end up pretty far away haha.
Appreciate 1
dmk087318.00
      08-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #21
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh ok I got ya. For 2016 the MMI kit is the only one available for our cars, from BimmerTech at least. There's another thread regarding why they couldn't get the OEM kit to work properly on our model years.

Yea it's not that bad once you get used to it, don't get me wrong I do miss the added comfort of at least sensors, but I'm about 6 weeks in and getting more comfortable judging distance. Negotiating pull in parking and getting closer to curbs is another story, I still end up pretty far away haha.
Yeah I heard this before. Though it makes 0 sense to me how the factory unit wouldn't work on the car? Is it a coding issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #22
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I heard this before. Though it makes 0 sense to me how the factory unit wouldn't work on the car? Is it a coding issue?
Here's the thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1080053

Looks like the 16's required a new camera? Not really anymore info after that.

I'll most likely go the remainder of my lease w/out one. Then decide if I should have one installed if I end up keeping it.

Funny story, the lady and I were heading to a movie this weekend (Jason Bourne) and I found a good end spot in the isle, I proceeded to back in and she says "babe, you know you don't have a back up camera" Fortunately I was one of my better back in jobs I've done lately. Practice practice practice..
Appreciate 0