European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Archer03
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Drivetrain Malfunction

I recently tuned my 2015 F82 with BM3 and F80Paul's Custom 93 map. I was accelerating in 2nd gear (nowhere near WOT) and got a drivetrain malfunction and limp mode. I shut the car down and it restarted and drove with no issues. When I got home I read the codes and had the following:

1E5A20 engine torque limitation: exceeded maximum nominal torque permanently

1F0526 DME, internal error, safety function: torque comparison

Are these anything to worry about? My car just went out of warranty and I'm a little worried about the crank hub issue.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Ugh, literally about to pull the trigger on bm3 and I see something like this . Got my 18 F80 five months ago so I have a lot of warranty left.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

As always, contact your tuner first for advice..

Flash back to stock.. delete codes and try to re-create..
      03-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
OreoGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 CP Satin Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer03 View Post
I recently tuned my 2015 F82 with BM3 and F80Paul's Custom 93 map. I was accelerating in 2nd gear (nowhere near WOT) and got a drivetrain malfunction and limp mode. I shut the car down and it restarted and drove with no issues. When I got home I read the codes and had the following:

Are these anything to worry about? My car just went out of warranty and I'm a little worried about the crank hub issue.

Thanks for the help.
Same for me. Nothing to worry about, at least in my case. Contact Paul, he was brilliant in helping me. He’ll send you a revised map. A bit worrying, but at least in my case, no mechanical issues. Confirmed by BMW too, as I had the car checked out. I’m pretty sure the same in your case
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
OreoGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
As always, contact your tuner first for advice..

Flash back to stock.. delete codes and try to re-create..
Good advice. The DTMAL happened to me twice in two days, so may happen regularly. In which case flash back to stock for a couple of days and see if the issue comes back. That will help isolate the issue to the map, or something else.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
OreoGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedmyf80 View Post
Ugh, literally about to pull the trigger on bm3 and I see something like this . Got my 18 F80 five months ago so I have a lot of warranty left.
BM3 is the app, and not a specific map. I’d still buy it with confidence. I ran Stage 2 OTS by PTF for 7K miles, no issues. Then I flashed Paul’s map and got a DTMAL. But all credit to Paul, he was extremely responsive, reassuring and a great help. He’ll correct the issue, if it is the map.

Anyway, these things happen from time to time. I’m comfortable that help was on hand by Paul when I needed it. That’s as reassuring to me as something being perfect. Happy to continue using Paul.

Last edited by OreoGuy; 03-16-2018 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

If you had a crank hub issue, you would not have restarted and been OK.

You have a DCT? Sounds like the car detected too much torque and got very upset about it. There is likely zero mechanical damage, this is a failsafe.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Thanks for the help.

Just contact me through the tune in BM3 for a fix. The issue has arisen with my recent pedal mapping changes for part throttle smoothness. A few forum members have been awesome to help me dial in part throttle mapping for track duty. But the changes have cause this DTMAL to occur on some cars. Dzenno and Halim are looking into the issue to see if there are some additional tables required or some other changed need for reduced pedal mapping on these ROM versions.

For now, I will reset your pedal mapping settings back to stock. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep

whoop_ass ashmostro , you guys have not experienced the "torque comparison" DTMAL while testing the part throttle mapping, correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
whoop_ass
Captain
Rep
Drives: non

Hey Paul none what so ever.
Right at the start of bm3 when it got released i had it happen once with ots map, dzenno and halim got it sorted quickly

Since than no problems and tested your pedal map with zero issues.
Could be isolated to certain roms maybe Paul.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoop_ass View Post
Hey Paul none what so ever.
Right at the start of bm3 when it got released i had it happen once with ots map, dzenno and halim got it sorted quickly

Since than no problems and tested your pedal map with zero issues.
Could be isolated to certain roms maybe Paul.
Yes, it definitely doesn't happen on every car, and resetting the pedal mapping back to stock seems to be the fix for those that get the DTMAL. It's frustrating because we have worked so hard on these pedal smoothness changes. I'm hoping it's just some torque monitoring tables for certain ROM's that are not exposed in the editor.
Appreciate 1
whoop_ass355.00
      03-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedmyf80 View Post
WE haven't seen any such issues with the OTS maps.. If you custom tune then there is always a possibility of a bug or two to creep up especially if you are try to get the most out of the car. Usually nothing to worry about and just requires a slight adjustment.

Nothing to worry about.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
Archer03
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I flashed back to Stage 1 and haven't had any issues so definitely don't think there is any damage done.

Thanks for the response F80Paul. I will try the update and let you know how it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 05:17 AM   #14
whoop_ass
Captain
Rep
Drives: non

Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I flashed back to Stage 1 and haven't had any issues so definitely don't think there is any damage done.

Thanks for the response F80Paul. I will try the update and let you know how it works.
oh def dont worry about damage ...
nothing would happen at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #15
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Pedal smoothnes is a MUST, the car is undriveble at the track for a longer time on Stg2, the CS map has the smoothest throttle map for track by far.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:29 PM   #16
Siddharth D
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Thanks for the help.

I had the exact same thing happen to my car while I was on the track.
it happened 3 times, every time I switched the car off and on, and the problem was solved.

after the 2nd day on the track, my car lost complete power. it feels like either the turbos are not spooling or they are bleeding.
On the sports display, max power at full throttle is 180 hp.
there are no fault codes in the car vehicle information, but after using an OBD tool, it shows cats error and o2 sensor error.

what could be the reason for losing the power ???
Appreciate 0