Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

03-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

F80 M3 Pricing?

So i'm new to the "NEW CAR" buying game as far as brand new models are concerned. I was originally planning on buying an e92 M3, but the lady and I decided to wait 2 years, which falls perfectly in the timeline of the F80. Are the prices for brand new models like that typically marked up like crazy? Or since its going to be a regular production model, it'll be around the MSRP. I guess i'm referring to how the 1M sold for much much more than what it was listed at. Then again, it was a one time model.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
ty1gonz27M
United_States
Rep
Drives: want E92 M3

I would like to know this as well since I am waiting to purchase a M3 until i get back to the states, which is right around the time the F80 M3 will be out.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

It won't be like the 1M, there's only 760 1Ms made in the US
M3 is a permanent BMW model, and will go for at least 4 yrs of production.

If you want to avoid all the crazyness of premium over MSRP, you can simply go for euro delivery for euro invoice, which is actually cheaper than US invoive.

But the question is when will it be ACTUALLY available to our market in the US...like the dates we will be able to ORDER not see the car on website or bmwusa...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
It won't be like the 1M, there's only 760 1Ms made in the US
M3 is a permanent BMW model, and will go for at least 4 yrs of production.

If you want to avoid all the crazyness of premium over MSRP, you can simply go for euro delivery for euro invoice, which is actually cheaper than US invoive.

But the question is when will it be ACTUALLY available to our market in the US...like the dates we will be able to ORDER not see the car on website or bmwusa...
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
ty1gonz27M
United_States
Rep
Drives: want E92 M3

I am not worried about the high premiums because I will be purchasing mine through BMW military sales if available during my departure of my duty station.. Just hope its available to order..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atown88 View Post
So i'm new to the "NEW CAR" buying game as far as brand new models are concerned. I was originally planning on buying an e92 M3, but the lady and I decided to wait 2 years, which falls perfectly in the timeline of the F80. Are the prices for brand new models like that typically marked up like crazy? Or since its going to be a regular production model, it'll be around the MSRP. I guess i'm referring to how the 1M sold for much much more than what it was listed at. Then again, it was a one time model.

Thanks!
Only crazy people paid a premium of the 1 coupe M, it could have been had for msrp if you have any relations with a dealer. You can always get a deal if you look hard enough. Ive never paid msrp, let alone a premium, so its no different here. Im getting the new f30 Msport in the fall to hold me over until the next M3 or M4 GC in 3 years, if you want advice, dont try to be the first one to get the new car though, if you can wait a year until the hype is over, you'll always find a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
STi2M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG/SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
If you go Euro delivery, don't you still have to technically do it through a dealer? If it takes away from their allocation I would think they would put all the people who want to pay over MSRP (or who have bought a lot of cars there before) ahead of you.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi2M3 View Post
If you go Euro delivery, don't you still have to technically do it through a dealer? If it takes away from their allocation I would think they would put all the people who want to pay over MSRP (or who have bought a lot of cars there before) ahead of you.
Yes Euro delivery is done through dealer, but there is no "competiton" or "premium war" of getting the car.

If you buy off MSRP here in the States, yea people fight for the available cars in the lot + dealer would obviously provide vehicles to those who pay the most premium on top of MSRP.

With that said, US dealers could work around lot availability + money over msrp to get the most out of each vehicle.
Yet they can't play around with Euro delivery price, which is strictly done through Euro invoice price + all options are ordered with invoice price as well. What they can ask is $500~1500 over the invoice price which the dealer gets for processing the Euro delivery.

Here is a realistic example of current M3 with real options added
2012 M3 Coupe well equipped

US MSRP: 68000 -> Sticker you will see on the car
US Invoice: 62100 -> Price you want to get close before purchase, but hard especially in M3 situation

Euro Delivery MSRP: 63000
Euro Delivery Invoice: 58000 -> Price you will pay + some 500~1500 over the invoice the dealer asks for.

Even with 1500 over invoice, it's still almost 9000 cheaper than US MSRP sticker price you have to fight to lower.

Again, this is just @ the perspective of car buying. If you do ED, you have to pay at least $1000 for air fare and travel $$...Which i believe is 150% worth the way we should get the M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Oliver1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

When the car is initially released, there will be a premium as a lot of people want to be first to have the new car and are willing to pay for it. Just like when the E90/E92 first came out, there was a lot of dealer markups going on. If you can wait until after the initial frenzy over the car, you can get one for a reasonable price. It is not like the 1M where only so many allocations were given out. If you don't want to pay a markup, there will always be a boat coming in the next month with more M3's on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
STi2M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG/SO M3 (on order)

Wouldn't the dealer still be losing one of its early allocation (that it could otherwise sell at an inflated price)?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
boarchicken
Private
Rep
Drives: currently g35 2008 sedan

Quote:
Yes Euro delivery is done through dealer, but there is no "competiton" or "premium war" of getting the car.

If you buy off MSRP here in the States, yea people fight for the available cars in the lot + dealer would obviously provide vehicles to those who pay the most premium on top of MSRP.

With that said, US dealers could work around lot availability + money over msrp to get the most out of each vehicle.
Yet they can't play around with Euro delivery price, which is strictly done through Euro invoice price + all options are ordered with invoice price as well. What they can ask is $500~1500 over the invoice price which the dealer gets for processing the Euro delivery.

Here is a realistic example of current M3 with real options added
2012 M3 Coupe well equipped

US MSRP: 68000 -> Sticker you will see on the car
US Invoice: 62100 -> Price you want to get close before purchase, but hard especially in M3 situation

Euro Delivery MSRP: 63000
Euro Delivery Invoice: 58000 -> Price you will pay + some 500~1500 over the invoice the dealer asks for.

Even with 1500 over invoice, it's still almost 9000 cheaper than US MSRP sticker price you have to fight to lower.

Again, this is just @ the perspective of car buying. If you do ED, you have to pay at least $1000 for air fare and travel $$...Which i believe is 150% worth the way we should get the M3.

Dude I agree with you 1000%. I just had no idea European delivery was that cheap. I always dreamt of getting a brand new m3 straight from the factory. Seems like a definite possibility now with the up coming f80 m3/m4

My only concern is how much would it cost to bring the car back with you to the states? And how long would it take? The car would be
Much cheaper but it seems like it will end up costing you more cause of airfare and shipping it to the states (export costs/taxes)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarchicken View Post
Dude I agree with you 1000%. I just had no idea European delivery was that cheap. I always dreamt of getting a brand new m3 straight from the factory. Seems like a definite possibility now with the up coming f80 m3/m4

My only concern is how much would it cost to bring the car back with you to the states? And how long would it take? The car would be
Much cheaper but it seems like it will end up costing you more cause of airfare and shipping it to the states (export costs/taxes)
It will only save you money if you go straight to the factory and then immediately bring it back.

Transportation back home is free (for the car).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
boarchicken
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=bimmerjph;11995354]It will only save you money if you go straight to the factory and then immediately bring it back.

Transportation back home is free (for the car).[/

That sounds too good to be true. Why wouldn't they charge you to bring it
Back home? And what If you wanna kick it at Germany for a week to explore Then come back to the us?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

[QUOTE=boarchicken;11996653]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
It will only save you money if you go straight to the factory and then immediately bring it back.

Transportation back home is free (for the car).[/

That sounds too good to be true. Why wouldn't they charge you to bring it
Back home? And what If you wanna kick it at Germany for a week to explore Then come back to the us?

Well free isn't the best word to use now that I think about it. It is already included in the price. It will probably end up costing you more if you make a trip out of it due to lodging, food, entertainment. But if you were planing to go to Europe anyway it is still smart to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #15
tuna_hp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Here's the most important question: Have euro delivery M3s historically come out of dealer allocation?

From what I've read online, the big savings in the BMW european delivery program come because the dealerships can get you most of the cars without it counting against their allocation. It isn't a car that they could otherwise sell to someone on the lot or for domestic delivery so there isn't any other customer that could pay more for it. That's why they only charge basically a service fee over euro invoice.

But I've also read that M cars and other high demand new cars are an exception from this rule and come out of dealer allocation, so the dealer only has a certain number of them and has incentives to sell them for as much as they can. Even if they sell a customer one of these cars for euro delivery, it's still a car that they now can't sell to some other customer. Even though these cars still have european delivery list prices 7% lower than their domestic prices, they also don't pay the dealer the customer satisfaction kickback which is about that much, so the dealer is going to want about the same amount whether you buy it off the lot or order it european delivery.

Is this true? Do european delivery M3s come out of dealer allocation? Is there a list anywhere of which cars come out of allocation and which don't?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
boarchicken
Private
Rep

^which brings the question, wouldn't it be better just to fly straight to Germany and buy it from them?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
tuna_hp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarchicken View Post
^which brings the question, wouldn't it be better just to fly straight to Germany and buy it from them?
Ha yeah, the whole "you have to negotiate with a dealership over pricing but the dealership can sell as many of them as it wants so everything over euro invoice is pure unlimited profit for them" doesn't make a lot of sense. Of course, it also doesn't really make sense that you can save SO MUCH MONEY by doing euro delivery, and I wouldn't complain about that. Who the hell is ordering for domestic delivery? Do they just not know about the euro delivery program?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
If you want to learn about the European Delivery process, go to the BMW USA website, then click on "Experience" and "European Delivery". The BMW USA website also has the European invoice price for every model available for European Delivery.

I did European Delivery in May 2011 on a 2011 335is Coupe and saved a little over $8,000 over US MSRP ($52,000 vs. $60,150). European Delivery is an awesome experience and every BMW owner should do this at least once in their lifetime. I can't wait to go back and do ED on the new M3 Coupe/M4 in 2014/2015.

As to why more people don't do this, most are unaware, some people are actually afraid to drive in Europe (?), others can't take the time, others don't think believe that this much saving is possible, and some people just can't dream this big.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

BMW European is uber awesome. Wifey and I are doing BMW Euro Delivery Number 6 next year if the M3 is available prior to year end.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
As to why more people don't do this, most are unaware, some people are actually afraid to drive in Europe (?), others can't take the time, others don't think believe that this much saving is possible, and some people just can't dream this big.
I was thinking the same thing. I did a European tour with my parents when I was younger, and I remember the roads/driving to seem pretty stressful. I would like to do ED, but would feel like my overprotectiveness of a brand new M would take away from the trip. haha
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #21
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by atown88 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I did a European tour with my parents when I was younger, and I remember the roads/driving to seem pretty stressful. I would like to do ED, but would feel like my overprotectiveness of a brand new M would take away from the trip. haha
Anyone with even a normal amount of self-confidence should have no problem driving in Europe. Having the Nav option is really helpful, but there's always Garmin or Tom-Tom. I did a week long driving tour of Germany and Switzerland in 1989 with road maps, no GPS or Internet but I did have someone navigating. If you felt stressful when your parents where driving in Europe I'm guessing road trip in the US were also pretty stressful. Some of it just has to do with the way you approach life. However, if one is just a bad driver and knows it, I wouldn't recommend it.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #22
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
Anyone with even a normal amount of self-confidence should have no problem driving in Europe. Having the Nav option is really helpful, but there's always Garmin or Tom-Tom. I did a week long driving tour of Germany and Switzerland in 1989 with road maps, no GPS or Internet but I did have someone navigating. If you felt stressful when your parents where driving in Europe I'm guessing road trip in the US were also pretty stressful. Some of it just has to do with the way you approach life. However, if one is just a bad driver and knows it, I wouldn't recommend it.
I guess I should add that my dad was driving an RV. I felt like a Griswold. lol. I guess what I imagine are really narrow roads with heavy traffic. I would really love to hit up the Autobahn, and some of those back country roads.
Appreciate 0