proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #89
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Let people fraud a company...great. BMW should read the forums and during service visits start randomly checking for ecu's that have been opened.
Option to waive warranty for money back would be so nice. I'd get that drivetrain warranty waived to drop the price and deal with it myself in a heartbeat. I wonder how much of the car cost is BMW warranty related. On top of all that when waiving warranty go ahead and unlock my ECU so any tuner of my choosing can do what I need or want them to do. How are we forced honestly to pay for this warranty crap without an option?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:49 AM   #90
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

The simple truth is that if you are worried about your warranty don't mod you car. End of story. Now can we please not litter this thread and incredible achievement by PTF with the ridiculous warranty debate that is ever so boring.
Appreciate 4
      05-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #91
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbshawn View Post
So when switching these settings and tunes will that add to the "flash counter" if so then this may not be for everyone who values their warranty. I know that now BMW checks that as one of the first things when going in for warranty work.
My Understanding is that this generation Bosch DME does not have a flash counter like past generations. Perhaps PTF could confirm?
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #92
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoohooSoCal View Post
Reading is fundamental.
Reading is hard!
      05-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #93
M3SSY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 / F80 M3

Raspberry pi and romraider? or are you developing your own software?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #94
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Im not sure why taking the ECU out once is such a huge deal at this point....
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #95
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Are you guys based in Toronto? This would sell me on the tune
Yes sir. PTF's tuning work is entirely mobile and cloud service based but our home location where any mechanical work is done is listed on our website and its co-located with Columbus Automotive owned by Ivo who are one of if not the most experienced N54/N55 service shops in the area.

bootmod3 will be entirely supported online as well and a tech forum is in the plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
The simple truth is that if you are worried about your warranty don't mod you car. End of story. Now can we please not litter this thread and incredible achievement by PTF with the ridiculous warranty debate that is ever so boring.
+1

Warranty and modification never blend well. We will never make a single claim that any modification including ours will pre transparent or invisible. It is impossible and it has always been that way with any modification. You can choose to believe us or not, all modifications and tunes can/are detectable and 'can' cause a warranty issue regardless of what they are. All you can have at the end of the day is a great relationship with your SA/dealer willing to work with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
My Understanding is that this generation Bosch DME does not have a flash counter like past generations. Perhaps PTF could confirm?
There's most definitely a flash counter on all modern DMEs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Im not sure why taking the ECU out once is such a huge deal at this point....
+1
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #96
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Yes sir. PTF's tuning work is entirely mobile and cloud service based but our home location where any mechanical work is done is listed on our website and its co-located with Columbus Automotive owned by Ivo who are one of if not the most experienced N54/N55 service shops in the area.

bootmod3 will be entirely supported online as well and a tech forum is in the plans

+1

Warranty and modification never blend well. We will never make a single claim that any modification including ours will pre transparent or invisible. It is impossible and it has always been that way with any modification. You can choose to believe us or not, all modifications and tunes can/are detectable and 'can' cause a warranty issue regardless of what they are. All you can have at the end of the day is a great relationship with your SA/dealer willing to work with you.

There's most definitely a flash counter on all modern DMEs.

+1
So.. sorry if I missed this. What is the targeted release date and how does one get on "the list" ?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #97
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
So.. sorry if I missed this. What is the targeted release date and how does one get on "the list" ?
dmk08 you can email us at sales@protuningfreaks.com and we'll have you added on the public beta list to be notified when it goes out into public beta.

ETAs when it comes to reverse engineering work are very hard to provide and that's part of the reason we tried really hard to stay away from the forums until public beta. At times we achieve large progress in a day and other times it takes weeks or months. We could have started posting a year ago and been in this pre-public beta mode still which really wouldn't sit well with how we like to manage a product release.

Please trust me when I say this, we have no plans on sitting on this As soon as its ready and our comfort level is high enough it will go out to betas to start having fun with while we continue enhancing it with features, table discovery and provide support. It isn't months, its a matter of weeks at this point. All the critical features already work including map switching and datalogging.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #98
an_DREW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80

Question

I already have the ESS flash tune, will my DME still have to be pulled if I wanted a tuner to create a custom dyno/road tune?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #99
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_DREW View Post
I already have the ESS flash tune, will my DME still have to be pulled if I wanted a tuner to create a custom dyno/road tune?
an_DREW you can inquire with ESS on your flash file. If they've removed the lock then you'll just need your original readout/file from the car to get started.

If they haven't removed it then unfortunately the DME would need to come out again and sent in for unlock to one of our supporting dealer locations. We have had a number of great shops reach out and we should have you covered if that is the route you end up going.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #100
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Do you have a list of your supporting dealers? I have a jb4 now but I'm eagerly awaiting the day I can go to a local shop and have them pull the ecu and tune it in the same day.. I know some local vendors already offer ECU flashes but I'm looking at your product, specifically.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #101
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Do you have a list of your supporting dealers? I have a jb4 now but I'm eagerly awaiting the day I can go to a local shop and have them pull the ecu and tune it in the same day.. I know some local vendors already offer ECU flashes but I'm looking at your product, specifically.
We won't have an official list ready until the device is out in public beta. Some of the shops we're working with already have the required tools on site and others we are sending the units to and training on jailbreak process.

If you have an interested shop in the area feel free to let them know and we can get them set up with everything required to get the DME jailbreak done.
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #102
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Quote:

great news. i will most likely drive from ottawa to get this done. please update when the tune is released.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 03:10 AM   #103
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Emailed you guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #104
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
great news. i will most likely drive from ottawa to get this done. please update when the tune is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Emailed you guys.

Thanks for all the public beta inquiry emails and signups guys. Really appreciate the support!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #105
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Its super easy to do. I had mine out in literally 15-20 minutes. You just disconnect the front hose to the water cooler, loosen two little screws on the charge pipe couplers and pull the white plastic insert securing the charge pipe and the top comes off. No need to remove the cowl or the carbon brace. You use a long ratchet extension to take off the intake manifold bolts and pull it over to the side and you can reach down and disconnect the ECU connectors and the whole intake manifold with the ECU comes out. Done!
Good tip.

Can make a video of this guide?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #106
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
We won't have an official list ready until the device is out in public beta. Some of the shops we're working with already have the required tools on site and others we are sending the units to and training on jailbreak process.

If you have an interested shop in the area feel free to let them know and we can get them set up with everything required to get the DME jailbreak done.

So once you're out of Beta, will you be listing Supportive Shops/Dealers on your site (including U.S)?

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #107
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
an_DREW you can inquire with ESS on your flash file. If they've removed the lock then you'll just need your original readout/file from the car to get started.

If they haven't removed it then unfortunately the DME would need to come out again and sent in for unlock to one of our supporting dealer locations. We have had a number of great shops reach out and we should have you covered if that is the route you end up going.
Another way to find out if the lock has been removed from your DME is to scan your car for codes. If you have a code that says something a long the lines of "DME protection against tampering has been manipulated" then it is unlocked. This code does not clear no matter how many times you try to clear it, even using Rheingold. Some people purposely ask tuners NOT to remove the lock from the DME so that it wont be obvious to the dealership that their car is tuned.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs

Last edited by BuLoOoSki; 05-26-2016 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:51 PM   #108
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
So once you're out of Beta, will you be listing Supportive Shops/Dealers on your site (including U.S)?

Yes absolutely. A new website is in the works for bootmod3 as its being managed as a separate entity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
Another way to find out if the lock has been removed from your DME is to scan your car for codes. If you have a code that says something a long the lines of "DME protection against tampering has been manipulated" then it is unlocked. This code does not clear no matter how many times you try to clear it, even using Rheingold. Some people purposely ask tuners NOT to remove the lock from the DME so that it wont be obvious to the dealership that their car is tuned.
...unless you're using bootmod3

You're absolutely right about many out there struggling with that code. We have worked it out and the ugly tamper code was made history a long while back actually.
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #109
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_root View Post
Good tip.

Can make a video of this guide?
If I ever pull the dme again I'll do it for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 02:12 AM   #110
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
...unless you're using bootmod3

You're absolutely right about many out there struggling with that code. We have worked it out and the ugly tamper code was made history a long while back actually.
Well that's good to know! Even though personally I do not care that the code is there, but many do.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0