Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
Wdh777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Competition Package M5

DCT "auto" mode

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm on the fence about getting a dct vs manual. My current m3 is a manual. How is the automatic mode with a dct? Could I have a person who can't drive stick drive the car in automatic mode? Also when you turn the car on does it start in manual or auto mode? I had a smg m5 years ago and it would start in manual which I always used but the valets could never figure it out. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Yes and yes.
It can be driven as easy as any auto box and it always starts in auto. Even if you get into manual by accident the car will not break down or act damaging if you slow down and stop without shifting.

The E9X M3 with DCT is two cars in one. It can be driven in auto mode below 3k rpm the whole day by grandmas but when you bring it up in the power band and shift it manually it's a proper sports car which screams, pulls hard and with downshift throttle blips that might scare the novices but delight the the rest of us.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Wdh777
Private First Class
Rep

So on manual mode it will shift down automatically to avoid a stall. Will it also up shift to avoid a redline? Worried about the valet driving off in 1st.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdh777
So on manual mode it will shift down automatically to avoid a stall. Will it also up shift to avoid a redline? Worried about the valet driving off in 1st.
Yes u r thinking too much. These gear boxes have come a long way since smg days
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdh777 View Post
No, it will not upshift at redline in manual mode. Instead the engine will hit the limiter and stay there. However, the transmission will always start out in auto mode (D1) so this should not come into play for valeting and similar situations.

That being said, if the valet attendant is redlining the car he should probably be fired. The slowest you can go while at max RPM would be in first gear and that still puts you at about 40 mph. Way too fast for any parking area. And that's just looking at practical concerns and ignoring the question of whether he had any business driving the car aggressively to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
These gear boxes have come a long way since smg days
True. I would recommend the OP read up on the DCT in the E9x M3 and F1x M5/M6. The F8x will operate very similarly.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
This is a valid concern, as it did happen to me on a couple of occasions with my E92 M3. In North America, for some reason I never understood, the DCT on the E92 defaulted in manual mode when engaged. You had to flick the lever twice to the right to put it D, which was not very intuitive for people that have never driven the car. Once in NYC, the hotel valet had to pick up the car at the parking garage that was several blocks away and I could hear the engine reving from far . I must say the valet was quite embarassed.

The good news is that it now seems DCT will default in D on the F8X, which is a far more logical approach IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

^^^ I cringed. But even in that situation where the garage was off site, surely 45mph (max speed of E9x w/DCT in first gear) was way too fast. Although I can see the argument that he was just revving it up trying to get it to shift. And of course, first gear doesn't make sense either way for driving at fixed speeds - it's gonna put the engine way above cruising RPM even at 25mph.

Anyway, the German manual confirms that D1 is the default for the F8x there, and it's also the default for the M5/M6 in the US (globally, I suspect) so we can be all but certain (I'll say it's a lock, honestly) it will be the case for the M3/M4 too. So hopefully the days of manual mode mishaps are over.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
Wdh777
Private First Class
Rep

Great to know. My older m5 with a msg defaulted to manual which was an issue whenever I would valet it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I actually thought the OP had posed a noob question. Turns out, I knew noob about operating a DCT. I assumed it was like my current step. - with a regular driving mode, a sport mode and the option of manual shifts. The step always shifted at redline no matter what you did.

I guess it's comforting to know that the default start-up mode is auto, but what happens in the various drivelogic settings? Are these all auto drivelogic settings? Once you perform a manual shift are you committed to performing manual shifts until you switch back to auto - and how do you do that? If you execute a manual shift and then shift back into auto mode, will it stay in the same drivelogic setting?

I'm not bitching about the complexity btw. I'd drive a manual if I could so I actually appreciate having to be more engaged with the tranny with and that there is a learning curve. I just want to do it right. Throw a noob a bone here.

Edit: I found this article which does a nice job of explaining how the DCT operates and the drivelogic settings in the M5:

http://m5carblog.blogspot.ca/2013/02...nsmission.html

Last edited by M4TW; 04-13-2014 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
Yes u r thinking too much. These gear boxes have come a long way since smg days
Not only that but their are noticeable improvements in the Jerking that went on with the e90s where you'd get on it and the car would think you really want to go and you'd confuse the DCT those little things have changed for the better making it an even more capable auto car... (BTW I've got the F10 m5 dct and had the e92 one on the m3 for reference both cars I logged almost 30k combined in less than a year )
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #11
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post

I'm not bitching about the complexity btw. I'd drive a manual if I could so I actually appreciate having to be more engaged with the tranny with and that there is a learning curve. I just want to do it right. Throw a noob a bone here.

M4TW You'd be driving a manual comfortably by the second day, with albeit with a stall or two when you forget you're still in first and come to a stop! If you think you'd prefer to drive one the only way to learn is to GET ONE!

I learned on my 2011 335. I got it brand new, had no idea how to drive it, brought a friend that knew with me to the dealer to pick it up and off we went to a parking lot for my first lesson. Just go for it! It's so much more fun and involved then you would even think but at the same time daily driving becomes second nature very quickly! Every turn presents an opportunity to have MORE fun.

JUST DO IT! Don't be a wuss you won't regret it, and stalling really isn't that bad for the car, riding the clutch is . . . This car WILL have enough torque that you can ease into first gear without even touching the gas and it will have friggin auto-blip rev matching, so there really COULDN'T be a better/easier car to learn on.

DO IT!

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
M4TW You'd be driving a manual comfortably by the second day, with albeit with a stall or two when you forget you're still in first and come to a stop! If you think you'd prefer to drive one the only way to learn is to GET ONE!

I learned on my 2011 335. I got it brand new, had no idea how to drive it, brought a friend that knew with me to the dealer to pick it up and off we went to a parking lot for my first lesson. Just go for it! It's so much more fun and involved then you would even think but at the same time daily driving becomes second nature very quickly! Every turn presents an opportunity to have MORE fun.

JUST DO IT! Don't be a wuss you won't regret it, and stalling really isn't that bad for the car, riding the clutch is . . . This car WILL have enough torque that you can ease into first gear without even touching the gas and it will have friggin auto-blip rev matching, so there really COULDN'T be a better/easier car to learn on.

DO IT!
I agree completely. The first car that I ever drove was a standard - a VW Beatle when I was 13. Most of the cars I have owned have been standards for the reasons you say. I had to switch to a slush box due to a problem with my foot. That's what I meant by not being able to drive a standard. . Reading up on the DCT I am happy to see I can get some more of that joy back - though not quite the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I actually thought the OP had posed a noob question. Turns out, I knew noob about operating a DCT. I assumed it was like my current step. - with a regular driving mode, a sport mode and the option of manual shifts. The step always shifted at redline no matter what you did.

I guess it's comforting to know that the default start-up mode is auto, but what happens in the various drivelogic settings? Are these all auto drivelogic settings? Once you perform a manual shift are you committed to performing manual shifts until you switch back to auto - and how do you do that? If you execute a manual shift and then shift back into auto mode, will it stay in the same drivelogic setting?

Edit: I found this article which does a nice job of explaining how the DCT operates and the drivelogic settings in the M5:

You basically move the knob to the right and it'll select D or if its in D it goes to manual... You can shift whenever you want adjust settings via transmission similar to the e90s but instead of s1-s5/6 its now 3 settings... I use tranny speed 3 + sport plus for my kill mode, and economy and tranny setting 1 for zero f*s given driving.

There is no base startup mode because when the car is in park you just tap the dct to the right and if you do it one more time it goes into manual.

Here is how you would adjust both engine response and transmission shift speed s3 and sport plus being the two most aggressive combinations... And S1/Efficiency being the least aggressive.

This is configuring the second M button (it shows suspension [edcesq] for those e90 people, handling from tight and lose to brick like, to power/tranny response, and traction levels)

Last edited by M5Rlz; 04-15-2014 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:07 AM   #14
///ADMAN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm on the fence about getting a dct vs manual. How is the automatic mode with a dct?
This should give you a better idea. It's essentially the same DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
No, it will not upshift at redline in manual mode. Instead the engine will hit the limiter and stay there.
As you can see, not the case with the N54/DCT combination. Jump to 10:45 for example.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #15
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
This is a valid concern, as it did happen to me on a couple of occasions with my E92 M3. In North America, for some reason I never understood, the DCT on the E92 defaulted in manual mode when engaged. You had to flick the lever twice to the right to put it D, which was not very intuitive for people that have never driven the car. Once in NYC, the hotel valet had to pick up the car at the parking garage that was several blocks away and I could hear the engine reving from far . I must say the valet was quite embarassed.

The good news is that it now seems DCT will default in D on the F8X, which is a far more logical approach IMO.
Right. And now the are 2 M buttons where we can adjust our setting. So it would be easy to start the car and put just one button M1 (for example) to go with your own setting and on the other hand M2 could be used as all maximum performance button to make easy lunches of fast driving. So much more usefull than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ADMAN View Post
This should give you a better idea. It's essentially the same DCT.

As you can see, not the case with the N54/DCT combination. Jump to 10:45 for example.
As I know, the dct jn bmw has not hte same programm as on the M car. And it would be more logically that the car will stay on the red line when it is needed. I assume, that the bmw DCT programm is adopted like the ordinary auto transmission.

Last edited by jackkk; 04-16-2014 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure, but to be clear I was talking about the F8x only. It will operate just as other past and present M DCT cars have.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

It is the case with the F10 M5.. I did it the other day from a 55 roll which is near the top of my 2nd gear and I slammed redline and the car sat until I shifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sure, but to be clear I was talking about the F8x only. It will operate just as other past and present M DCT cars have.
Yup your correct brother carry on
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #18
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
I agree completely. The first car that I ever drove was a standard - a VW Beatle when I was 13. Most of the cars I have owned have been standards for the reasons you say. I had to switch to a slush box due to a problem with my foot. That's what I meant by not being able to drive a standard. . Reading up on the DCT I am happy to see I can get some more of that joy back - though not quite the same.
Ah hah a foot problem! You have a worthy excuse for a DCT then I thought for some reason you were just being stubborn and wouldn't learn! Well either way if you get the DCT and you pull up next to me at a light it sounds like you're going to win 99% of the time anyway. . . I'll just be "more connected" to the car while I'm watching your tail lights accelerate away!

The convertible looks amazing btw I just looked at the NY Auto Show pics. I have a 16 week old pitbull so I need a back seat!

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #19
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

I am going to my dealer this week to test a car with DCT. I ordered a manual but I figured it's always best to make an informed decision, and since I didn't consider nor try the DCT, I'd like to see what it is like.
I love driving manuals, but I know that this might be the last car I am able to order with one so no since in fighting the inevitable.
Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #20
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Ah hah a foot problem! You have a worthy excuse for a DCT then I thought for some reason you were just being stubborn and wouldn't learn! Well either way if you get the DCT and you pull up next to me at a light it sounds like you're going to win 99% of the time anyway. . . I'll just be "more connected" to the car while I'm watching your tail lights accelerate away!

The convertible looks amazing btw I just looked at the NY Auto Show pics. I have a 16 week old pitbull so I need a back seat!
I'd still manage to blow a paddle shift and would end up being mauled by your dog. Good thing we drive on the same team.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #21
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Until somebody actually drives a F80 we will not know exactly how the DCT is set up. My DCT does not default to d1. It defaults to the last setting which is S3. I don't get D1 ever unless I've the car to d and set the shift to 1

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #22
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Until somebody actually drives a F80 we will not know exactly how the DCT is set up. My DCT does not default to d1. It defaults to the last setting which is S3. I don't get D1 ever unless I've the car to d and set the shift to 1
On North-American E9X, DCT default startup is S3 and it remembers the last D setting used when switching to D mode. On European models, the DCT defaults to D2 at startup and remembers the last S setting used when it is switched to S mode. The E9X has 11 drivelogic modes (6 in S and 5 in D).

The DCT on the F8X is a carry over from the F1X with its 6 drivelogic setting (3 in S and 3 in D). It is therefore relatively safe to assume it will have the same setup as on the F1X that defaults to D1 at startup.
Appreciate 0