proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Closed Thread

05-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #221
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

C7 Corvette is one of the cars I'm looking forward to see.. 3.x liter V8 revving at 10000rpm sounds sweet...
      05-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #222
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
C7 Corvette is one of the cars I'm looking forward to see.. 3.x liter V8 revving at 10000rpm sounds sweet...
Yeah, I am pretty curious about the C7 too. A small turbo V8 would be very trick, though the 10000 RPM part is pretty tough to believe. At 3.xL, it would be able to hit 450hp+ without revving nearly that high. But even if it were only 8k RPM give-or-take it'd still be a sweet setup.

In the end, the oft-rumored naturally aspirated 5.5L V8 (same displacment as the C6R GT2) remains the most believable option for the next Corvette. But I am hopeful that someone, if not GM, who builds performance cars with prices well south of a Ferrari or McLaren will pick up the the high revving V8 (N/A, turbo, or whatever) torch from BMW and Audi.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #223
Jaylyons1
Private
Rep
Drives: R32 GT-R/'16 IS300/Project TBD

If they do #1 then that may be the first time I ever buy a brand new car for myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #224
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Option #1!!! Come on BMW. Keep the V8 for the F30/F32 m3 with a Twin Turbo! As much as I would want this to happen I doubt it cuz thats in the new M5 So I dont know how likely it will be that BMW will have similar engines in 2 different cars.

What do you guys think? Will BMW Keep the V8 and Slap Twin Turbos on it?

1. S65 V8 Biturbo Engine
This one comes as the biggest suprise to us. Most of us are sad thinking about current M3's glorious S65 engine (which just won an International Engine of the Year Award) going away. However, according to this rumor, it may be far from gone. BMW M has allegedly reworked the engine internals, lowered the redline slightly, and -- sit tight -- added a bi-turbo. Maximum output would be only a tad higher than in the current S65, but with much more torque and much lower fuel consumption.

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #225
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

S65 V8 Biturbo Engine? nah they'd prob just use detuned M5 engine first
      06-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #226
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

The TT 4L V8 option may not be too far fetched if the i8M is going to have at TT 4L V8 according to Roundel.

http://roundel.imirus.com/Mpowered/i...ssue=5&page=42

Double click to zoom in under the pic.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #227
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

^^^ Roundel is a good pub, but I have my doubts they have the most current information:

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523681

It's all speculation either way, but if you think about it, a V8 i8 really makes no sense whatsoever. The whole point of the "i" brand is greener vehicles (or, if you are suitably skeptical, the mere impression of greener vehicles ). A V8 does not fit. A V8 supercar under the main BMW brand makes sense (such as perhaps an 8 series, or M8, or M1 or Z8, etc), but such a car has proven to be nothing more than mere myth thus far. And even if it does exist in some form, almost certainly there is nothing far enough along in development to lend itself to parts sharing with an F32 M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #228
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

I agree. I think it would be a full BMW version and not necessarily an "i" car.
As for the 4L, V8 TT, who know's, but if they do put such an engine in the M8, there's at least a chance they'll use it somewhere else too.
Maybe it'll take over for the S63 since that's not a real //M engine?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #229
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 MSport & 2018 X3 30i

There have been many opinions so I wont reiterate..

I for one am looking forward to the turbo..this one of the main things stopping me from going with a M3. On our hwys here in Ontario the speed limit is 100kms..if you are caught 50km over you lose your car and face a HUGE fine. So with the V8 the torque way up top you need to really get up there in speed to feel the pull...personally I love the way my N55 TT pulls from the bottom..

flameaway

SP3335
      06-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #230
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremePower3335 View Post
...with the V8 the torque way up top you need to really get up there in speed to feel the pull...

flameaway
Not a flame, but you're information is simply incorrect. The M3 pulls like a locomotive at highway speeds as long as you are in the correct gear. Also, the M3 torque curve is very flat, so you get nearly full torque at a very low RPM. It is power that you have to rev to redline to maximize.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #231
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 MSport & 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Not a flame, but you're information is simply incorrect. The M3 pulls like a locomotive at highway speeds as long as you are in the correct gear. Also, the M3 torque curve is very flat, so you get nearly full torque at a very low RPM. It is power that you have to rev to redline to maximize.
Forgive my lack of knowledge then..I am going by what I have read...I guess never having driven a M3 I am not really "qualified"..I guess I should drive one first..All I know is that I love the way my 135 pulls (more than the way it looks - well from the front anyway) so I would like something similar or better..my preference is a M3 but I am open to many different options for my next vehicle..
      06-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #232
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You often don't need to drive a car to understand its feel under WOT. A combination of some examination of the torque and power curves is actually a pretty darn good substitute for an actual drive.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #233
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

There will be no M version of the BMWi Eco-Sports Car i8.
To do so defeats the entire purpose of BMWi which is seen as a new interpretation of mobility.

BMW i8 is not just a regular BMW with a sub-brand badge. it is entirely new from the design , technology ,material technology and powertrain.

This is not a BMW as we know it. This is BMW bringing that future of mobility today in a new concept - There will be no other car like it , and the same goes for the i3.

The countdown to the future starts @ the IAA in September.

But just as BMWi is a sub-brand with stand alone products. BMW M is on course to have it's own stand-alone product-A pure BMW M project. Which BMW M will be the first sharer of material technology within BMW.
But that is in the early stages of conception.

BMW M are flat-out finishing off the M6 now that the M3 Lightweight Sedan and M5 are complete (And debuting next Thursday and Tuesday respectively).

The X3 M and a special X6M is being prepared aswell as the early prototypes of the run-out and next M3 in which the new BMW 4er Coupe prototypes will be on the road any day soon. Plus some other projects that are in the process of development including the Material Technology Concept.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 06-14-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #234
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^nice.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #235
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
To do so defeats the entire purpose of BMWi which is seen as a new interpretation of mobility.

BMW i8 is not just a regular BMW with a sub-brand badge. it is entirely new from the design , technology ,material technology and powertrain.

This is not a BMW as we know it. This is BMW bringing that future of mobility today in a new concept - There will be no other car like it , and the same goes for the i3.

But just as BMWi is a sub-brand with stand alone products. BMW M is on course to have it's own stand-alone product-A pure BMW M project. Which BMW M will be the first sharer of material technology within BMW.

BMW M are flat-out finishing off the M6 now that the M3 Lightweight Sedan and M5 are complete (And debuting next Thursday and Tuesday respectively).

The X3 M and a special X6M is being prepared aswell as the early prototypes of the run-out and next M3 in which the new BMW 4er Coupe prototypes will be on the road any day soon. Plus some other projects that are in the process of development including the Material Technology Concept.
DAMN! Thanks Scott.

New M project!!! Hopefully M becomes its own brand
      06-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #236
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

By run out, do you mean the current model's send off cars?
Is there a special version for the US market, or was the matte black it?

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #237
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremePower3335 View Post
Forgive my lack of knowledge then..I am going by what I have read...I guess never having driven a M3 I am not really "qualified"..I guess I should drive one first..All I know is that I love the way my 135 pulls (more than the way it looks - well from the front anyway) so I would like something similar or better..my preference is a M3 but I am open to many different options for my next vehicle..
In this review, there are a couple of seconds where he accelerates driving at a 'regular' speed - seems like good torque to me! Starts around 4:21 if you don't want to see the whole review.

Will get some seat time in an M3 next month. Can't wait. Love my 335i, but am also considering an M3, and am curious how they each feel driving... in Ontario.
      06-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #238
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Not sure what truncated S63 engine would get them. Displacement would be around 3.3L so a reliable HP number would be around 10-15% more than the current 1M. Hardly headline grabbing numbers at all.

I have no interest in a heavy biturbo V8, no matter how much HP.

Looks like a used 911 for me, or the future M version of the next 1/2 series, the one with the rumored LTW construction and biturbo 4 engine.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #239
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Not sure what truncated S63 engine would get them. Displacement would be around 3.3L so a reliable HP number would be around 10-15% more than the current 1M. Hardly headline grabbing numbers at all.
The N54 is not a good measuring stick. It is not an M-developed engine. An "S54" based on the N54 could easily make over 400hp reliably.

Still, yes, the V6 does not make sense, but for different reasons (discussed in many other threads already).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #240
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The N54 is not a good measuring stick. It is not an M-developed engine. An "S54" based on the N54 could easily make over 400hp reliably.
Sure, but the new engine will need to deliver around 450 - 460BHP (between the S65 and the S63).

Quote:
Still, yes, the V6 does not make sense, but for different reasons (discussed in many other threads already).
I understand the objections but I'm not so sure they are important in the grand scheme of things. I mean, BMW will start making 3 cylinder engines soon for crying out loud. Compared to that, a twin turbo V6 is pure bliss.

Personally, I think it makes a lot more sense than the very long I6, which comes with its own share of problems. I'm sure BMW can work out through the balancing issues just like other companies have done - after all for example nobody ever complained that the NSX engine is uncouth, or unexciting for that matter.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #241
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Sure, but the new engine will need to deliver around 450 - 460BHP (between the S65 and the S63).
Right, and that's not a problem for a 3L motor. Just like 2L turbo I4 can make 300hp today (and a decade ago).

Quote:
I understand the objections...
Objections are one thing, but there are many reasons why a V6 doesn't make sense (I won't rehash here though). Anyway, latest is that they indeed settled on the I6.

Quote:
Personally, I think it makes a lot more sense than the very long I6,
It'll be the same size as BMW's other I6 engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #242
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

So will there be an M4 as well?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread