Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

11-02-2023, 09:08 PM   #23
m3freak86
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 ///M3

August 21, 2023

What's being installed: Eventuri Gloss Carbon Fiber Charge Pipes

Took a small vacation with the family and got to spend some time away from the car. While I love being in the garage tinkering, it was a welcome break since at this point I was in the garage almost every night getting things installed on the car. Must be my old age...

After returning home and feeling refreshed, it was time to get back on the car. Decided to tackle Eventuri charge pipes as this is more of a reassurance mod more than anything. The stock charge pipes are known to crack over time, although I wasn't too worried about that happening due to the low miles. Either way, it was hard to refuse another eventuri carbon piece for the car.

Now, I will admit, there are less expensive options out there that serve a similar, if not the same purpose. But when it comes to quality carbon performance parts, I tend to splurge a bit knowing I am getting a very high quality and very researched piece that not only looks great, but performs even better. Also, there is no question that when you hold and see the eventuri charge pipes in your hand, they are the superior option. The weave is a direct match to the OEM carbon strut brace, which I thought was a very nice touch.

Install took some time as I wanted to make sure I was dotting my I's and crossing my T's. Boost leaks are no fun to track down and since these pipes are coming directly off the turbos, I didn't want to move through this install quickly and screw anything up. In usual BMW fashion, you need to remove quite a few things in order to get to where you need to be. Although, there wasn't anything too difficult about the install. I did have one oh **** moment when I dropped the 10mm bolt into the intake tube, but was extremely lucky and fished it out with a magnet rather quickly. Would have made for a bad day, but thankfully it was resolved with no issue.

One thing to note is that the connection points to the turbo outlets do not tighten down like one would think. This had me scratching my head a bit, but the design of the adapter actually allows for movement under load to ensure proper boost levels and transferring of the air to the charge cooler. Definitely something I have never seen before, but was reassured after doing some research on the eventuri instruction manual.

I don't believe there were any result in power gains from the charge pipes, but I am very confident these will hold up to whatever I may throw at it in the future. Plus, they look phenomenal and tie into the engine bay perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTfHfsW9fp4
Attached Images

11-03-2023, 11:59 AM   #24
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3freak86 View Post
Finally got a chance to give the car its first wash in the garage after the long drive home. There is nothing like getting to know a new car than spending some quality time cleaning every nook and cranny. I am an avid weekend detail enthusiast, so I can always appreciate the therapeutic release I get from washing.

There's a thread here somewhere warning F8X owners about using too much water in the wash bay. I usually spray on my towels and wipe down so I didn't dig too deep into the post but I saw you'd pressure washed the bay. The OP did the same and it resulted in very expensive repairs so be wary of doing this on the F8X platform.

Side note - after using an MTM hose for years, I tried out the 1/4 Uberflex and it's way easier to work with. I don't see myself going back.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 12:04 PM   #25
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
There's a thread here somewhere warning F8X owners about using too much water in the wash bay. I usually spray on my towels and wipe down so I didn't dig too deep into the post but I saw you'd pressure washed the bay. The OP did the same and it resulted in very expensive repairs so be wary of doing this on the F8X platform.
I've done this same method to many vehicles in my day (some way more expensive and complex than the f80) and never had an issue. You just need to be mindful of where you are spraying and the pressure you are using. I use an electric pressure washer that keeps the PSI around 900, which is my ideal pressure for washing. Engine bays are designed to get wet and most connections and parts of the engine bay are covered and protected from elements. Obviously, some areas like fuse boxes, intakes, etc. you need to be mindful of, but this isn't anything new or abnormal. I am willing to bet the member you are refering to used way too high of pressure and/or sprayed into areas they shouldn't.

Lastly, this isn't an every wash procedure. Only done on first washes and when I do corrections/full details.
      11-03-2023, 12:09 PM   #26
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've done this same method to many vehicles in my day (some way more expensive and complex than the f80) and never had an issue. You just need to be mindful of where you are spraying and the pressure you are using. I use an electric pressure washer that keeps the PSI around 900, which is my ideal pressure for washing. Engine bays are designed to get wet and most connections and parts of the engine bay are covered and protected from elements. Obviously, some areas like fuse boxes, intakes, etc. you need to be mindful of, but this isn't anything new or abnormal. I am willing to bet the member you are refering to used way too high of pressure and/or sprayed into areas they shouldn't.

Lastly, this isn't an every wash procedure. Only done on first washes and when I do corrections/full details.
The damage wasn't from pressure. It was from exposing water to an electrical component that isn't completely covered causing it to short and requiring a complete replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 12:14 PM   #27
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
The damage wasn't from pressure. It was from exposing water to an electrical component that isn't completely covered causing it to short and requiring a complete replacement.
Willing to bet they were putting the PW gun too close to a certain area, which caused that component to get damaged (or was already damaged in the first place), which in turn caused the issue they had. Either way, this is a method that I have a lot of experience with as well as a method that many sought after professional detailers use as well. Phil from detailers domain even commented on here a few years ago my exact method.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1400516
      11-03-2023, 12:42 PM   #28
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Willing to bet they were putting the PW gun too close to a certain area, which caused that component to get damaged (or was already damaged in the first place), which in turn caused the issue they had. Either way, this is a method that I have a lot of experience with as well as a method that many sought after professional detailers use as well. Phil from detailers domain even commented on here a few years ago my exact method.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1400516
Yes, the wash process is fine on many other platforms. If you think the wash process is fine on the F8X as well then I'm not here to argue. It was just an FYI as the post wasn't a single use case and many others had the same issue. If you search, there's multiple posts and they're indicating the DME is not water tight but if you think it's a pressure issue then you can disregard.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 12:56 PM   #29
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

August 22, 2023

What's being installed: Downstar Titanium Full Burnt Engine Bay Hardware Kit

Adding that extra detail is always important to me. I think it is something that makes your car stand out from the rest when other would normally look past it. I went down the rabbit hole of swapping out all the engine bay hardware with titanium bolts on my previous car. It was a very long drawn out process as I had to measure nearly every bolt, nut, and fastener to accomplish this project. I was about to go down that same route, however, I came across a company called Downstar. I am sure many of you are familiar with the brand as it seems to be quite popular in the BMW world.

I was pleasantly surprised to see they did all the headwork and already had a full kit ready to purchase. You were able to choose different colors, materials, etc. Since I am such a titanium fan, I gravitated towards the more expensive full titanium kit they offered in their full burnt finish. I think it adds a great contrast to the black and carbon features with a small pop of color. Not to mention, titanium in general is much more resistant to wear over time than the normal materials used.

The kit arrived and was invdidually packaged for each part of the engine bay. It included a nice instructional sheet to show exactly where everything went. Very nice touch as it left no guess work as to what bolts went where. Install couldn't be easier as it simply was unbolting one bolt and replacing it with the downstar hardware.

Really pleased with how it turned out and added the right amount of color to the bay. Again, this is something most will miss, but to me, it's those fine details that make it my own.

As you can probably tell... I will be adding more titanium hardware to the car in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zskPXUZYxmk
Attached Images

11-04-2023, 11:21 AM   #30
Samurai_F80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
2016 Bmw  [10.00]
Awesome read and clean build! Can’t wait to see what you decide for suspension/wheels. The mod bug is a slippery slope! 🤣💸
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 11:27 AM   #31
M3ZCPNYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Nice write up cool
Car
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 06:35 AM   #32
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_F80 View Post
Awesome read and clean build! Can’t wait to see what you decide for suspension/wheels. The mod bug is a slippery slope! 🤣💸
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZCPNYC View Post
Nice write up cool
Car
Thanks fellas! I appreciate the kind words. Check out my Instagram (@chrisvuono) and YouTube (scoobyfreak86) to see where things are currently.
      11-06-2023, 11:04 AM   #33
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

August 23, 2023

What's being installed: Volk TE37sl's unboxing and test fit

Before I got this car, I drooled over every F80 with TE's. The overall simplicity, aggressive/track look, and it being one of my favorite wheels ever made me want to get a set as soon as I got the car. I actually told myself to rock the stock OEM 20's with some FC spacers for a bit, but I really couldn't help myself. The spec and model I was after was unfortunately a discontinued spec, so it became pretty difficult to source exactly what I was after.

Now, black isn't everyone's favorite. But the good thing is, I am not here to please everyone else. I am here to make sure I am doing what I want to do. With saying that, I always gravitate towards darker colored wheels. I always enjoyed the more aggressive look that it offers, so when it was time to find a set of TE's, I knew black was my #1 choice. I originally was searching for a set of gloss black, but there was 2 reasons why I didn't go that route. 1. Being a detail enthusiast, gloss black is not fun to keep looking fresh. I didn't felt like it was worth the time and effort it would take to keep them looking to my standards. 2. Gloss black was no where to be found. A few bronze and gunmetal choices out there, but I ultimately wanted black.

Reached out to my friend Bryant at Envision Tuning and sure enough, he had exactly hat I was after. TE37's in Matte Black 18x9.5 +22 and 18x11 +34. Knowing how long it takes to preorder Volks and wait for them to ship made me jump on these asap since they were in stock and ready to go.

They arrived a few days later and upon opening the box and removing the wheel covers, I was greeted with exactly what I was looking for. Smiling ear to ear, I was finally able to say the ol' saying "TE THE WORLD!". Now I understand this is a common wheel and pretty much see them on every build out there, but this was a really cool moment for me. Happy I was able to do it and bring you guys along on the journey.

After I came to my senses, I was able to remove everything from the boxes and take a closer look at them. Absolutely love the aggressive concave on the 11" rear. I was trying my best to put them away and get some sleep, but I decided it was worth it to stay up late and do a quick test fit on the car. See my vision come to life.

Threw a passenger front and rear on to get a look and I was just ecstatic. The video below, you can really hear it in my voice. It's always funny hearing the videos back as in the moment, you don't really get to hear what's being said from the other side. It's really cool to capture those moments and relive them when watching the video back.

Now it was time to decide on tires. I wanted a specific look, so I went down a steep rabbit hole to figure out what was going to work and look best for my application.

More to come on that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O9Ax35T9C4
Attached Images

11-06-2023, 03:52 PM   #34
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 - F80

Nice I have twin's build to look out for! 18 6MT in MGM checking in!

Wheels look sick, I plan on picking up a set by end of year and was torn between black or hyper silver. Thanks for making it that much harder to chose. haha
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 11:25 AM   #35
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

August 24, 2023

What's being installed: Mosselman Oil Thermostat

Before I purchase any car, I look into the common issues and problems to see if there are resolutions to them. I would hate to own a car where a common issue happens and there are no fixes for them other than replacing it with the same OEM part that will fail again. Thankfully, the small problematic areas the S55 has, there are some great aftermarket solutions out there to remedy them. I am a firm believer in that if you take care of the car, it will take care of you.

One common issue that the S55 has are the inconsistent and high oil temps. This is geared more towards scenarios when you are driving the car harder and/or on track, but anytime there is a chance to increase cooling, I am all for it. I came across the Mosselman oil thermostat in my research and knew it was something I wanted to put on my car. Knowing how much better it performs how great of a job it does keeping the oil cooler, it was a no brainer. Not to mention, it is an absolutely beautiful piece that is front and center in the engine bay.

I hit up my friend Brian from Kies Motorsports and he got me everything I needed to get the job done. Upon opening the box, I was greeted with a beautiful machined billet aluminum oil thermostat and titanium bolts to tie it all together. What a presentation! Since this was my first "engine part" install on this car, I did my research and made sure I was confident enough to tackle the job. I trust my skill level, but anytime messing with oil systems, I always tend to psych myself out and make myself feel like it's harder than it really is.

After looking through a few tutorials, I was ready to get this done. After taking a closer look at everything, I realized it is a super simple job and it was going to be an easy install. Got working on removing the stock tstat and to my surprise, I had it off in only a few minutes. With only some minor oil spillage, it was time to get everything put on and back together. Everything bolted up perfectly, just like stock. Always reassuring as it confirms you not only did the job correctly, but the part you chose was the right choice.

Cleaned everything up and started up the car to check for any leaks or issues and fortunately, everything was good to go. I had to go out and get my car inspected the following day, so I got to go out and enjoy the car for a bit. Immediately, I noticed the lower oil temps on the gauge cluster. It wasn't something that was hardly noticeable, yet a rather larger difference overall. Having the tstat open up sooner and allow the oil to cool much sooner is a welcomed improvement for my S55.

I go over in much more detail of the different temp ranges and the full install, so be sure to check the video below for more info.

Very happy to have added this to my M3 and definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to keep their S55's happy and healthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8io1Vu-ZLI
Attached Images

11-22-2023, 11:22 AM   #36
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

August 29, 2023

What's being installed: M Performance Aluminum Pedal Set

One interior mod that I love to do are pedals. I have upgrade the pedals in just about every car I have owned (including my truck) to give it that extra layer of detail. I don't like the loud flashy pedals that catch your attention too much as I usually gravitate towards black. However, my M3 already had the M performance aluminum dead pedal installed. Although, I believe this is something that all F8x's come with. Because of this, I decided to stick with them and pick up the remaining 3 m performance pedals to tie it all in.

Snagged them from IND and they were at my door in a few days. Install of these was very straight forward, although, I do think the hardware/screws to install the brake and clutch should have been the self tap screws that you used in the throttle pedal. The Nut/bolt method is a little too clunky for the small area you have to work in. You have to drill the brake pedal in the right spot to be able to use all the nuts. If you are off a bit, there the pedal arm gets in the way, so it can be frustrating. Anyway, the install went very smooth and happy I decided to stick with the M performance pedals.

It really gave some contrast to the interior since it is pretty much just a black and carbon fiber slate. The un conventional (of me) bright pedals were a welcoming touch to the interior and happy I went this route. The pedal feel so feel quite a bit more confident inspiring as the rubber grips are very reassuring. The stock rubber covers on any car always left me feeling uneasy when the weather is not the greatest.

Highly recommend snagging a set and installing in your car. Very much worth the upgrade! Although now, I am most likely going to get a new dead pedal since that has been on the car since new and a bit scratched up comparing the new pedals.

Full install video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8pWwrJtvFk
Attached Images

Last edited by m3freak86; 11-22-2023 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2023, 11:33 AM   #37
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

August 31, 2023

What's being installed: Lwrclssgarage Front Chassis Bar

If you have been following me from my STI ownership, one of my favorite mods I did was the front chassis bar from lwrclssgarage. This was a modification that inquired about anytime I posted a video or picture of the front end. I think it added some nice contrast to the front bumper as well as some structural integrity bolting 2 points together.

Lwrclssgarage is getting their feet wet in the Euro world and they reached out wondering if I wanted to try out their new chassis bar for the F8x. Since I was so happy with the one from the STI, I was very excited to show the BMW world this medication. The great thing about it is you can choose any color you would like to match your theme or car. I ended up choosing a custom color called Illusion Lite Blue to match the golden wrench supply cap set. Wanted to have a pop of color up front, but not be too in your face.

The install of this is pretty awesome as it uses all factory mounting locations and hardware. Some small clearance needs to be done on the top bracket, but shouldn't hinder from getting one yourself. I had to do some custom work to mine as well since I am running the Eventuri intake with the intake grill scoops. Since there aren't any provisions in the brace for this, I had to drill out some holes and use a bracket to get them attached. Luckily, everything worked out perfectly and couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

Looks amazing peaking through the from kidney grilles while adding much more rigidity to the front end. The stock bracing is basically a piece of bent sheet metal, so adding this was a welcoming mod.

You can purchase yours through this link and use my discount code (scoobyfreak86) for 10% off!

https://lowerclassgarage.co?sca_ref=4362721.Lv23HQeU2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC9NScGKuQU
Attached Images

11-22-2023, 11:54 AM   #38
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

September 6, 2023

What's being installed: New tire pick up, ceramic coating volks, and getting the new wheels ready

This was a fun video to make as I was able to document the entire journey getting my new Volk TE37sl's ready to be mounted up to the car. I find this process extremely exciting as new wheel day doesn't happen all the time. Although, can be a bit nerve wracking because all of the research, money spent, and planning, you hope your vision comes to fruition.

Started off by getting the new HUF TPMS sensors on the wheels. I decided to go with this brand and not OEM due to 2 reasons. 1: cost. OEM sensors were nearly $500 after tax. 2: No valve stem color choices. Many recommended the brand HUF, so I snagged a set of them with my valve stem color choice (black) for under $200. Much more reasonable if you ask me. Everything bolted up to the wheels perfectly. I was still a little weary if they would program to the car as easy as they say, but I will report on this at a later date.

Next up was picking up the new tires. I dove DEEP into tire research to figure out both the look and performance I wanted for this setup. I am a big Michelin fan boy as I have tried just about everything worthwhile from their lineup over the years. Winter tires all the way to Cup 2's, I've been a massive fan. However, this setup I wanted to get out of my comfort zone and try something different. I wanted that chunky, flat side walled, aggressive tread look on the car. Not to mention a true decided extreme summer tire that will give me all the grip I could possibly want. The Falken 615's were always my favorite, but unfortunately, they did not come in the rear sizing I wanted. So I took a look at their other models and saw they had another model called the RT660's. After asking a few friends that are big track rats and researching a ton on them, I decided it was worth the gamble and try them out. Ordered them through a good friend of mine, so I headed up his way to pick them up at his shop. As soon as I saw them in person, I KNEW it was the right choice. Sizing I went with are 265/35/18 front and 295/30/18 rear.

Next up was getting the tires mounted up so I can get them ceramic coated and ready for install. Went to my favorite and trusted tire shop and got everything mounted up. My only gripe is that they didn't have black wheel weights anymore, so they had to use silver. Don't worry, I address this on my own at a later date.

Finally, I had everything ready to go, just needed to get them up to my "spec". Gave them a good wash after the tire mounting, denibbed all the tires, and got them coated with my favorite wheel coating Cquartz Dlux. It holds up to the heat abuse very well.

I decided to hold off on installing the spoke decal as the red ones the wheels came with are just a bit too much for me. I made the decision to keep the spokes decal free (for now) until I decide what to do.

I know, I know. You just want to see them mounted. Believe me, I wanted to throw them on the car just as bad, but the number 1 rule to not break when modifying a car is to not install wheels before suspension. Doing so can taint your vision and make you second guess you choices. I have done that in my younger years and knew I wanted to do this setup justice, so I reluctantly packed them in the corner for a bit until I was able to get the new KW V3 coils on.

Full video below taking you along with me through the entire new wheel process!

11-27-2023, 12:50 PM   #39
Kal_el
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

The master of all build threads. She’s looking good my man! Love the blue accents!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 12:55 PM   #40
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_el View Post
The master of all build threads. She’s looking good my man! Love the blue accents!
Heyy Scotty! So cool to see some OG M3 guys still around. I appreciate the kind words. Lots more to come! Just need to get some type to keep updating the journal here.
      11-27-2023, 02:31 PM   #41
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Heyy Scotty! So cool to see some OG M3 guys still around. I appreciate the kind words. Lots more to come! Just need to get some type to keep updating the journal here.
It's a great thread - thanks for keeping up with it!

I know that whenever (if) you go to sell the car, you can just give this link to a prospective buyer to show the history relatively well. Pretty cool.
      11-27-2023, 02:33 PM   #42
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
It's a great thread - thanks for keeping up with it!

I know that whenever (if) you go to sell the car, you can just give this link to a prospective buyer to show the history relatively well. Pretty cool.
Thanks! Yes, my previous journals on past cars have been a great asset in selling my cars privately. New owner can see the entire ownership and when things were done.
      11-28-2023, 12:05 PM   #43
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

September 7, 2023

What's being installed: Active Autowerke Single Midpipe

There is no surprise that the S55 isn't the greatest sounding M car to ever come out of BMW. I'll be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed at the exhaust note when I first heard if way back in 2015. Especially coming after the glorious V8 S65, it was a hard pill to swallow. However, I had a lot of experience with the S54 in my e46 M3 so I knew the S55 could sound good. I just needed to find the right solution.

Naturally, I started my search looking at full catbacks, but my findings were that no one was taking care of the tone. It was more about just getting more volume and whatever sound came out, that was it. With that being said, I had the AA midpipe in the back of my head, but couldn't understand how JUST a midpipe would make that car sound that much better. Luckily, a good friend of mine has an f80 with the single AA midpipe so I swung over to his place to check it out. Started the car up and I was blown away at how much better (and louder!) the car sounded. It sounded deep, throaty, and way more aggressive than the stock exhaust. I was sold right then and there. I did briefly look at the EL midpipe by AA, but have heard that it is a much higher pitched note, which is not what I am after.

Placed an order for the AA single (non res) midpipe and waited for it to arrive. Now, I won't lie, I had this sitting for a few months before I got around to the install. Mainly due to limited free time, but also a part of me was a bit anxious to cut up my OEM exhaust on my new (to me) M3. What if I screw up? What if I cut it wrong? Lots of intrusive thoughts ran through my mind, but I decided to suck it up and just get it done.

Marked up my exhaust to the 1.5" from the back weld per AA instructions and I got to cutting. Wasn't sure how the saw would react laying under the car in a bit of an awkward position (I NEED A LIFT!). BUT! it got the job done. Nice even cuts and everything went through like butter. Now that the "hard" part of the install was complete, I felt a sign of relief knowing it was going to go smoothly. Got the remaining bolts off the exhaust off and removed the stock midpipe from the car.

Comparing side by side, you can instantly tell why the OEM exhaust was so quiet and so restrictive. Much smaller diameter piping and resonators galore. I knew this was going to be the right step in the right direction. Crawled under the car once again and got the midpipe situated in position and bolted down. I was reassured I cut properly once I held the midpipe into place and saw it line right up with the OEM muffler. Bolted all the hardware and clamps down and it was ready for its first start.

Since I have the BMS valve controller, I made sure the valves were open and got the car started up. My ears were smiling hearing the gigantic roar from the car and immediately thought.... NOW It sounds like an M car. Checked for any leaks (there were none) and I set off for my maiden voyage.

To my surprise, it was still fairly quiet in the cabin. Definitely more audible, but I understood why many F8x owners install this midpipe and be done with the exhaust. It's a perfect OEM+ setup. When you romp on the car, lots more gurgles and pops are audible. Car just sounds more free and open, but close the valves and the car sounds like a comfortable, quiet cruiser.

Very very pleased with the outcome of the AA midpipe as it gave me validation that this car CAN sounds good. But, if you know me... I always want a bit more. More to come on that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2m5vpNO1Lg
Attached Images

11-28-2023, 12:29 PM   #44
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

September 12, 2023

What's being installed: Autotecknic Carbon Fiber Mirrors

I think we all have a little bit of a carbon obsession when it comes to cars. I love the contrast it provides in certain areas and it gives the car a much more detailed and aggressive look. Is it necessary? Absolutely not, but neither is a 444hp German saloon.

I am an avid believer that adding too much carbon to a car can cheapen the overall look. I've been in the car scene long enough to know when it has been done right or not. With that said, I do think there are certain places where carbon is justified. One of which are mirrors. For whatever reason it may be, carbon mirrors are something I always gravitate towards. I did it on nearly every previous car so I knew the M3 mirrors were going to get some surgery soon.

Naturally, went right to the BMW OEM M Performance mirror's but had a very hard time justifying spending the $1k on mirrors just to achieve the look I am after. Don't get me wrong, I love spending too much on car parts, but carbon mirror caps are pretty easily replicate with very high quality for a much cheaper price. Will I ever go with the OEM M Performance ones down the line? Maybe... but for now, I was determined to find something as good as the OEM pieces for a fraction of the price.

Autotecknic is a brand I have used in the past on my e46. The quality, fit, and finish was top notch, so as soon as I saw they offered mirrors... it was a no brainer for me. And these were only $350! Much lower cost than OEM, but was I about to find out if the "pay for what you get" motto was true?

NOPE! The quality of the mirrors were 100% there. It was a true dry carbon piece, so not some plastic piece laid with a carbon sheet on top. It was the real deal. Weave looked perfect and no abnormal pulls or strains in the weave. I think the only place I could see a skimp in quality were the edges around the mirror. They were sharp and abrupt were the OEM ones have a rounded and smooth finish. However, that is just me nit picking. And to be honest, I would buy these over and over again if it meant saving an extra $650 bucks!

Popped the OEM Mineral Grey covers off and popped the new ones on. And to my surprise, these things clicked in just like OEM. No weird buldges or places where the clips weren't going into place. Nothing! Gaps are all perfect and looking great. Small pieces like this are one of the few times I do not mind going aftermarket over OEM. They are very easy to mimic and recreate that the chance of screwing it up is very low.

Since my car is Mineral Grey, the carbon accent works very well. It's not too in your face where it stands out from the rest as it almost blends in. Which is exactly what I was after. The small details that get noticed when you take a second to look around the car.

If anyone is looking for a high quality carbon mirror without the 4 digit cost of OEM, highly recommend the Autotecknic mirror covers.