Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

10-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 MW/CSC/6MT/18s

BMW Alexandria (DC area too) Lease Negotiation Experiences

For those in the DC area, I am very close to working with BMW Alexandria on a deal for a lease on a F80. Rolling out of my current lease in the spring of next year. Was looking at either a M2 or M3 depending on DD needs. Car will be auto-Xed and tracked too.

Was by Pickett Street and decided to randomly roll into BMW Alexandria. Had a great test drive session and was given the run of the cars which they had. Took out an auto M235i for size comparison and test drove a F80 in stick. CA was an enthusiast and it was great to chat up cars. Wasn't pressuring and knew I was in no rush but want to lock something in if I can get a deal that doesn't financially waterboard me. Gave him my final word over e-mail yesterday and he was very prompt in all responses with good information. Haven't had that experience before (very difficult for me to be on the phone during the day).

That said, I am using the USAA buyer's program for the price, and BMW Sterling has the lowest USAA car program price (retail of 68,5XX with a discount to 63340). Hoping that Alexandria can meet and/or exceed as I did not like the interactions I had so far with Sterling's CA who I am "working" with. Somewhat pushy, uninformed (corrected me multiple times instating that BMW only makes a M235i), and wanted me to call her "when I had something". Understand needing to make a decision but let me make the f-ing decision.

Obviously, the DC area is pretty competitive, but I wanted to know if anyone had any similar experiences of getting one dealership to honor another's price through a buyer's program? Also would prefer Alexandria as I live in DC and it's much closer for service and what not.

I have heard of the nightmares (on this forum and through service experiences) at Rockville, Sterling, and Passport (had a slimy experience at another PP dealership back in the day). Northwest had good plug but it is a ways away and I would prefer to buy where I will have the car serviced now that I will be here for the foreseeable future.

Any inputs, suggests or comments welcome.

Can't wait to join the F80 crowd. Build will be SSII, Carboncloth, 18s, M Suspension, DCT, with dealer installs on the alcantara DCT steering wheel and diffuser.
      10-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 Xdrive

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
I totally agree. I went thru same thing as this was first time getting into BMW family, more so, first M ever.
From the experience, just like AMG, M is a huge thing where they don't try hassle much and comes down to "this is what we can offer, if you want to take or not" and gives you the final call to take it... I litterally went thru all dealers around DC,VA,MD and ended up at silver spring to pick up M4. not that I receive huge discount , but was enough for me to be happy and save further trouble.

Last week I was disputing on my wheel warranty coverage, there went extensive to make sure I understood what I paid for and were willing to credit back if I wasn't happy with warranty. being said, I was glad that CA who I worked is someone that'll go long way down the road.

Happy searching and hope your purchase works well~!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

I leased my F80 through BMW of Alexandria. I started back in February 2015. I went to Rockville (awful!), BMW of Fairfax and worked with the CA I got my wife's X3 the year before but he was firm on BMW not allowing European Delivery with the pull ahead program. BMW Alexandria contradicted this so I ended up with them in the end. I went to a few other dealers as well but don't remember all.

I ended up at BMW of Alexandria which is where I started with. They gave me the best deal, were not pushy at all. It was by no means the best deal compared to what others have been getting around the country. But from what I was comparing to (DMV area) it was the best deal.

I got my European Delivery for June 2nd and my car was re-delivered July 27th.

I've also been taking my previous car and my wife's X3 to BMW of Alexandria for service for over 2.5 years. The only service I had done on the F80 was the break-in which was done on re-delivery by BMW Alexandria since I had put about 1400 miles on my ED.

TLDR: You are in good hands there
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko
I leased my F80 through BMW of Alexandria. I started back in February 2015. I went to Rockville (awful!), BMW of Fairfax and worked with the CA I got my wife's X3 the year before but he was firm on BMW not allowing European Delivery with the pull ahead program. BMW Alexandria contradicted this so I ended up with them in the end. I went to a few other dealers as well but don't remember all.

I ended up at BMW of Alexandria which is where I started with. They gave me the best deal, were not pushy at all. It was by no means the best deal compared to what others have been getting around the country. But from what I was comparing to (DMV area) it was the best deal.

I got my European Delivery for June 2nd and my car was re-delivered July 27th.

I've also been taking my previous car and my wife's X3 to BMW of Alexandria for service for over 2.5 years. The only service I had done on the F80 was the break-in which was done on re-delivery by BMW Alexandria since I had put about 1400 miles on my ED.

TLDR: You are in good hands there
Yeh I got a good feeling and my intuition is generally good. But everyone is always out to make a buck extra hence the "trust but verify".

Thanks for the feedback!
      11-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
devildog5811
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 BSM/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR MFS View Post
For those in the DC area, I am very close to working with BMW Alexandria on a deal for a lease on a F80. Rolling out of my current lease in the spring of next year. Was looking at either a M2 or M3 depending on DD needs. Car will be auto-Xed and tracked too.

Was by Pickett Street and decided to randomly roll into BMW Alexandria. Had a great test drive session and was given the run of the cars which they had. Took out an auto M235i for size comparison and test drove a F80 in stick. CA was an enthusiast and it was great to chat up cars. Wasn't pressuring and knew I was in no rush but want to lock something in if I can get a deal that doesn't financially waterboard me. Gave him my final word over e-mail yesterday and he was very prompt in all responses with good information. Haven't had that experience before (very difficult for me to be on the phone during the day).

That said, I am using the USAA buyer's program for the price, and BMW Sterling has the lowest USAA car program price (retail of 68,5XX with a discount to 63340). Hoping that Alexandria can meet and/or exceed as I did not like the interactions I had so far with Sterling's CA who I am "working" with. Somewhat pushy, uninformed (corrected me multiple times instating that BMW only makes a M235i), and wanted me to call her "when I had something". Understand needing to make a decision but let me make the f-ing decision.

Obviously, the DC area is pretty competitive, but I wanted to know if anyone had any similar experiences of getting one dealership to honor another's price through a buyer's program? Also would prefer Alexandria as I live in DC and it's much closer for service and what not.

I have heard of the nightmares (on this forum and through service experiences) at Rockville, Sterling, and Passport (had a slimy experience at another PP dealership back in the day). Northwest had good plug but it is a ways away and I would prefer to buy where I will have the car serviced now that I will be here for the foreseeable future.

Any inputs, suggests or comments welcome.

Can't wait to join the F80 crowd. Build will be SSII, Carboncloth, 18s, M Suspension, DCT, with dealer installs on the alcantara DCT steering wheel and diffuser.
Go see Paul Blakeman at BMW Alexandria. Good guy wont jerk you around
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
I've never done it but wouldn't it be bit too strange if you walk in same dealer and request another SA because one didn't worked out well ?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog5811 View Post
Go see Paul Blakeman at BMW Alexandria. Good guy wont jerk you around
+1 Paul is a great guy. Known him since he was working at BMW of Fairfax.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeite22 View Post
I've never done it but wouldn't it be bit too strange if you walk in same dealer and request another SA because one didn't worked out well ?
LOL. "That guy"...

I mean its your/my/our money so I wouldn't feel too bad. So long as the CA losing you isn't a vindictive prick who is tight with the Service Center, then hell no!
      11-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
Quote:
LOL. "That guy"...

I mean its your/my/our money so I wouldn't feel too bad. So long as the CA losing you isn't a vindictive prick who is tight with the Service Center, then hell no!
lol. yeah true~
I would end up searching for another dealer if one happens to not work out. not being bias or anything but first person that I deal with at the dealer pretty much describes overall attitude at the dealer.. im sure it's not all true but I would feel ackward going back same dealer asking for different SA when one didn't work out.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

Try Dave Comfort and Mark White at Passport. I got 7% off MSRP before any discounts. Not sure of their lease deals.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 05:37 AM   #11
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo
Try Dave Comfort and Mark White at Passport. I got 7% off MSRP before any discounts. Not sure of their lease deals.
Yeh I'm shopping three dealerships right now. I have a guaranteed price through USAA, but some places don't seem to want to make note of that hence I am close to walking.

Also, for VA leases (I completely forget) but sales tax is incorporated into the monthly lease payment correct? Also, you are hit on the yearly with the property tax if I recall...?
      11-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #12
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Yeh I'm shopping three dealerships right now. I have a guaranteed price through USAA, but some places don't seem to want to make note of that hence I am close to walking.

Also, for VA leases (I completely forget) but sales tax is incorporated into the monthly lease payment correct? Also, you are hit on the yearly with the property tax if I recall...?
Correct on both and if you live in Arlington County you also get hit with the decal ($33/yr). I paid the sales tax and fees up front with no downpayment on my lease.

My property tax was around $1500 on the M3 but that is just since July. I expect it to be closer to $3,000 next year.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #13
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeh I was in Arlington and remember the 33 dollar sticker... Amazing. :

Was the property tax on the total price or a percentage there of relative to the lease?

Thanks!
      11-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

Quote:
Yeh I was in Arlington and remember the 33 dollar sticker... Amazing. :

Was the property tax on the total price or a percentage there of relative to the lease?

Thanks!
It's on the total price of the car. Property tax is a serious point of contention around these parts lol.
      11-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #15
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the input. Trying to research this but not doing so hot... Is the rate state wide or county based? Trying to figure this out as I live in DC but car is registered in VA as I am military...
      11-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. Trying to research this but not doing so hot... Is the rate state wide or county based? Trying to figure this out as I live in DC but car is registered in VA as I am military...
It's county based, but the overall amount is similar between all the counties here in VA. Not sure if you get a break for being military, but it's worth looking into - perhaps some other can chime in on that piece..
      11-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #17
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
I also wanted to highly recommend Mark White (sales manager) and Ian Lawyer (CA) at Passport. I had a great experience dealing with them earlier this week. They are transparent and no marking up the base money factor. If anyone wants their contact information, send me a PM. thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #18
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZEVO
Quote:
I also wanted to highly recommend Mark White (sales manager) and Ian Lawyer (CA) at Passport. I had a great experience dealing with them earlier this week. They are transparent and no marking up the base money factor. If anyone wants their contact information, send me a PM. thanks
+1
      11-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #19
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
Passport BMW will beat any other dealers price.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #20
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyDC
Passport BMW will beat any other dealers price.
Yes and they're also nice to work with.
      11-15-2015, 05:57 AM   #21
KZEVO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Yes and they're also nice to work with.
+1 - I wasn't clear in my earlier post...it was the overall experience dealing with Ian and Mark including their transparent process is the reason I would highly recommend them. My preference is always try to first establish a good working relationship with a dealership close to home and also work on getting to a number that is mutually agreeable to both. With Passport the experience was phenomenal. Best dealership that I have dealt with so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #22
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR MFS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo

For the tax reason some people do Penfed payment saver so you can get part of the subsidy on the property tax. Plus you don't have those lease fees.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0