European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #221
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedc5 View Post
Giulia Quadrifoglio is FUGLY in my opinion
Don’t speak too soon, because the future of the next M3/M4 is not looking too rosy if this is BMW’s new design language...which it seems to be given a recent spy photo of the new X5 as well. Glass houses, Dude.

The Alfa is stunningly beautiful in comparison to this abortion.
Attached Images

Last edited by mcc3456; 02-05-2018 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #222
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
Don’t speak too soon, because the future of the next M3/M4 is not looking too rosy if this is BMW’s new design language...which it seems to be given a recent spy photo of the new X5 as well. Glass houses, Dude.

LOL, if your best attempt to show how good looking the Alfa is, is to compare it against what appears as a terribly photoshopped SUV... well... seems desperate and does nothing to help your case.
Appreciate 2
dpgfunk332.50
JustChris17485.50
      02-07-2018, 06:22 AM   #223
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
LOL, if your best attempt to show how good looking the Alfa is, is to compare it against what appears as a terribly photoshopped SUV... well... seems desperate and does nothing to help your case.
The Alfa is better looking than the M3/M4 which is also good looking, but way too common (boring) looking. The QV is sexy, muscular, and curvaceous. Apparently, you’re not a fashion forward person. Seems your best excuse for not liking the Alfa is a lame aestetics argument. Mean girl??? Clearly, it’s safer for you to be part of a herd.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #224
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

Quote:
The Alfa is better looking than the M3/M4 which is also good looking, but way too common (boring) looking. The QV is sexy, muscular, and curvaceous. Apparently, you’re not a fashion forward person. Seems your best excuse for not liking the Alfa is a lame aestetics argument. Mean girl??? Clearly, it’s safer for you to be part of a herd.
There is nothing boring about the m3's looks. It is clearly sexier and more muscular than the Alfa you drive! The front of the Alfa really kills it for me, it really does have a bird like front end. Don't get me wrong though, we buy what we like so enjoy your car like most of us on this forum enjoy ours.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #225
CommonProject
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
again, you forgot the huge vagina in the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #226
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonProject View Post
Quote:
again, you forgot the huge vagina in the front of the car.
It is a rather large gape
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #227
dpgfunk
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:

Someone gave their opinion on a current model and your response was how ugly a competitor's future model might possibly look.....
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 12:22 AM   #228
Rennyk.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Has anyone who's picked one up, successfully negotiated a discount on these cars? It's frustrating with dealers marking them up purely because they aren't making that many, so they say. I see multiple dealers with inventory on the lot. I get it's a good competitor to the m3, but how far can a brand ride out the exclusive new kid on the block gag.
      02-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #229
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennyk. View Post
Has anyone who's picked one up, successfully negotiated a discount on these cars? It's frustrating with dealers marking them up purely because they aren't making that many, so they say. I see multiple dealers with inventory on the lot. I get it's a good competitor to the m3, but how far can a brand ride out the exclusive new kid on the block gag.
Marking up??? There are some dealers that cannot give them away.

Here is a 2017 and there may be more on this lot. They just sold a week or so ago a 2017 grey that they had had since May of 2017.

https://www.musiccitymotorcars.com/s...e=Alfa%20Romeo
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #230
Rennyk.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Quote:

Here is a 2017 and there may be more on this lot. They just sold a week or so ago a 2017 grey that they had had since May of 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Quote:

That's what I figured, seems to be Southern California dealers. Saw a few 17s with heavy Mark downs but on new 18s the first word out of his mouth was " we have a market adjustment " it's hard to keep a straight face when they play that game sometimes.
      02-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #231
nemesis07r
Rep
Drives: Car

So I was informed that there was a dealer offering 5k+ off new 2018 models off the Alfa with no negotiation, so I think it's safe to say 7-8k off msrp after some push which would bring a usual spec of 77k to about 69-70k. With that in mind and that most comparisons against the m3, the Alfa usually comes out on top would that be a good buy? I'm not sure how much BMW is doing off new comp pack models, but I was shocked at how aggressive they were to move those vehicles.

Does aggressive pricing from Alfa make it a better buy over a comp pack m3? Or are there aggressive discounts from the m3 as well which brings the pricing level?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #232
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis07r View Post
So I was informed that there was a dealer offering 5k+ off new 2018 models off the Alfa with no negotiation, so I think it's safe to say 7-8k off msrp after some push which would bring a usual spec of 77k to about 69-70k. With that in mind and that most comparisons against the m3, the Alfa usually comes out on top would that be a good buy? I'm not sure how much BMW is doing off new comp pack models, but I was shocked at how aggressive they were to move those vehicles.

Does aggressive pricing from Alfa make it a better buy over a comp pack m3? Or are there aggressive discounts from the m3 as well which brings the pricing level?
Buy the car you like best, the Alfa " coming out on top " of reviews is just one persons opinion. The Alfa wouldn't be a good buy for me because I like the M3 more.

Can't go wrong, but AF lease rates are crap and long term reliability it still TBD
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #233
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis07r View Post

That is not really the case. If you look at the tally of comparisons in this thread, there are more occasions where the M3/4 finished ahead of the Giulia QV.

I say buy whatever car you fancy and can afford.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-21-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #234
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That is not really the case. If you look at the tally of comparisons in this thread, there are more occasions where the M3/4 finished ahead of the Giulia QV.
Uh-oh. What have you done? Be prepared for the backlash from our resident Alfa defender.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      02-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #235
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
Uh-oh. What have you done? Be prepared for the backlash from our resident Alfa defender.
lol

It's always fun seeing this. If it helps any I'm looking at a Giulia Sport or Mazda6 as a daily.
      05-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #236
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

Just took delivery of the Q wagon. 2018 modell so I guess all will fly well then. First impressions Is Wow, Its a salty cracker In racemode this Quadrifoglio car.
Whats not to like..

-Carbon roof

-carbon seats

-carbon Hood

-carbon (Whats its name, driveshaft)

-carbon front splitter and its active, Hence retract on long straights but go down to produce aero when braking / cornering etc.

- carbon steeringwheel

-carbon trim all over in cabin

-carbon rear spoiler

-carbon side spoiler

-super Sweetspot seating position, like really god and the best steeringwheel(M4 GTS is to thick)

- its macho:-) as It will only get real agressive and responsive and Loud In racemode and all ESC is going off then.(If you do not dare to disconect(ESC) it to racemode you will not get loud mode from exhaust with craks / bangs, willnot get as I understand the most agressive gearbox and fast throttle respons/ etc. will not get big nice shitlights. One must go racemode to get all the nice things.

-it give 100kg downforce at Vmax vs M4 GTS 120kg, and ALFA look is wing less

-every time you start you Instant see motor oil level, I like.

- big big difference between the Alfa DNA driving modes, and man its agressive in Race! Its loud and fast and very very fun car. Its like M4 GTS agressive.
- steering Is just super nice.

-I dont have any problems with the brake by wire, thats just no Issue. Even in slow speed I can modulate the brakes well i think.

-its very agressive and loud in racemode (did I say that:-), you almost get a shock, did not expect that.

-great big shiftlights and they only show up in full race mode when all ESC is off.

- rear gripp on cold tire is better than M4 GTS

Not so nice...its 1700kg full fuel vs my M4 GTS full fuel 1610kg on same scale. Nor so nice, paddels fixed on streering colum and I am not keen on that, but might get used to it.

500km now and wow I like it! No track yet, eager to go and how will my impression be after that?
Tire Bar is shown, but not inside tire temp like GTS.

You very much feel Ferrari been a part of development, its real downforce Ferrari windtunnel, Ferrari chassie feeling, seat /steering feel.

More easy to live with than M4 GTS, and more nice and soft chassie / car in SOFT MODE, very big difference among the 4 chassie / car setting, Race mode Is addictive all ESC off then, thats the only way I driven mine now for 500km🤔☺️

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 05-31-2018 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      05-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #237
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Congrats Capt Unknown, I just picked up a new QV myself on Friday. My choice was really down to this and the M3. Both great cars but I decided it would be fun to give an Alfa a go this time around. I’ll share some initial impresssions as well as some of the other factors that helped sway my decision when I have some more time.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      05-30-2018, 12:58 AM   #238
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Congrats Capt Unknown, I just picked up a new QV myself on Friday. My choice was really down to this and the M3. Both great cars but I decided it would be fun to give an Alfa a go this time around. I’ll share some initial impresssions as well as some of the other factors that helped sway my decision when I have some more time.
Thanks 😊
Looking forward to your input/ impressions later on then.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #239
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Unknown GT4 View Post
Thanks 😊
Looking forward to your input/ impressions later on then.
Ok, here goes, in no particular order…

- Overall, I love the fact that this is basically a Ferrari skunkworks built car and shares nothing else with any other FCA platforms or parts. The chassis is not just a beefed up version of a lower series model. It is its own chassis and this shines in the driving dynamics and overall balance of the car. Now that FCA and Ferrari are fully separated, never again will there likely be another car like this. FCA knows that this car cannot be a failure and they have put a lot of attention and cost into it building it using robust components, tight tolerances and vault-like rigidity. They want to know immediately about any issues and have addressed them accordingly. Most of them being software programming related and not hardware breaking down.

- I think it looks amazing – Where the F80 is beautiful in its aggressive, bull dog stance and wide rear hips, the QV is sensual with touches of fierceness with its carbon fiber accents and rear diffuser. Yes, the front looks like and owl (in my case, a white owl) but I see this as a thing of beauty rather than a knock as the white owl is a magnificent looking creature. If it looked like Sloth from Goonies, then ok, it’d need some desperate attention. I wasn’t really a fan at first either but it has really grown on me and the carve-out of the hood line is really well executed.

- I find the interior to be irresistible, especially with the green and white contrast stitching. Here’s an area where I disagree with all the reviewers who regurgitate the same spoon fed line that the interior is not at the level of its German competitors. The beauty here is in the simplicity of the layout and the aesthetically pleasing wavy flow and integration of the infotainment screen. And the contrast stitching is everywhere, including the rear seats, rear window sills and leather dash. Take that $180k GT3 with your standard rubber dashboard!

- Infotainment functionality – another area where the reviews just assume before even using it, that it is already inferior to everyone else’s, or that they copied BMW’s I-drive. Both systems are made by Magneti Marelli, an Italian company no less, so that is why they are so similar in design and functionality. Where they may differ is in where all the different functions are located/programed in so that can be frustrating when you’re used to a certain layout, resulting in instant negative criticism. It is missing touchscreen but that to me is the only noteworthy difference. And I prefer the in-dash location vs. on top of dash.

- Steering – Ever since driving an Evo IX over a decade ago, I was in love with the steering. I still regret choosing the Sti over that car and it has haunted me to this day! Well, this car brings that feeling back except without all the sensitive twitchiness. You can sneeze without drifting over 2 lanes! They really went aggressive with the steering in a good way and I happily welcome it.

- Transmission – I initially ruled out this car entirely once it was confirmed that only the ZF 8 speed was going to be offered based on all the boring ZFs I’ve owned and driven in the past… elastic banding, slow shifting. They all seemed the same. But holy crap, they pulled off some magic with the tuning in this version because it shifts and feels like a dct (at least compared to my E92 M and 991 TTS), shot gun like upshifts and it literally “bangs” on the upshifts. In fact, if you didn’t know, I think you’d be hard pressed to tell it wasn’t a dct. Even Sutcliffe assumed it was in his Evo review where he states “really liking the Alfa’s gearbox, 8 speed dual clutch and it does exactly what YOU want it to do whereas the Mercedes gearbox (C63 S AMG) has a mind of its own, particularly on upshifts whereas the Alfa’s gearbox is just bang, bang, absolutely where you want it.”

But even though the transmission really excels, I feel that 8 gears is too many for a car with so much HP and torque. I feel like you don’t get to the use the entire motor and you run out of gearing too quickly. I never test drove the F80 with dct, only the manual, but I suspect it would be similar in that car too.

- Grip – The car has so much grip that I was beginning to think that there were no traction control warnings. Turns out, they just weren’t going off because they haven’t been needed. For a high hp/tq rear-wheel drive car, the grip is astonishing, even in the rain. It is not just a factor of the tires, it’s the overall chassis, balance, weight, and rear diff sorcery all working together.

So re the title of this thread, “Is anyone here considering the Giulia Quadrifoglio,” Yes! I really love the F80 too and around here, don’t see many of them. If I were leasing, it would be the F80 all day since the QV’s lease rates are laughable, at least currently. I was quoted $1100/mo with $10k down!

Name:  IMG_20180525_163732.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  1.25 MB

Name:  MVIMG_20180525_153704.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  658.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20180525_153759.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  588.3 KB

Name:  MVIMG_20180525_153631.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  617.3 KB
Appreciate 2
mcc3456332.00
jmg18663.00
      05-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #240
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

Great story, I cant express it like that in english. Hey, I got the same colour If its that 3 layer pearl effect, it was 3000euro extra and Is more or less same Ferrari coulor but there its 13000euro😂
I got the front Sparco carbon bucket seats and also green stitching.
Agree, the gripp is very very solid even cold tires and I guess this is no real r- compound? Hence better grip cold. Anybody know how this Sweet engin is lubricated? Wet or dry sump or what? I got no clu?
Gear box is it not Borg Warner? Some one said ZF but as I recall its Borg 600nm solid.
To bad you can not start the car up in racemode?! Its no sound on upstart, then click to track mode for sound.
The bang it makes on upshifts is unreal in racemode
The q car looks small vs M3, but how is it the Q car is 1700kg full gasoline?

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 05-30-2018 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #241
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Unknown GT4 View Post
Great story, I cant express it like that in english. Hey, I got the same colour If its that 3 layer pearl effect, it was 3000euro extra and Is more or less same Ferrari coulor but there its 13000euro��
I got the front Sparco carbon bucket seats and also green stitching.
Agree, the gripp is very very solid even cold tires and I guess this is no real r- compound? Hence better grip cold. Anybody know how this Sweet engin is lubricated? Wet or dry sump or what? I got no clu?
Gear box is it not Borg Warner? Some one said ZF but as I recall its Borg 600nm solid.
To bad you can not start the car up in racemode?! Its no sound on upstart, then click to track mode for sound.
The bang it makes on upshifts is unreal in racemode
The q car looks small vs M3, but how is it the Q car is 1700kg full gasoline?
Haha, thanks - I think you nailed the important points well enough. Yes, it's Trofeo white which is a 3 layer paint and a $2200 USD extra cost here. I concur that these are not true R comp tires, just really sticky performance tires with very low 60 treadwear. Not only are they decent in the rain but they are also quiet and don't throw up constant, cringeworthy rock noises in the fenders.

I really wanted the carbon race seats but this will be my daily driver and my wife will also be driving it on occasion. However, I think the standard seats are so well bolstered, that the buckets are not necessarily needed but they do look amazing and probably save some weight (and are not heated).

I'm pretty sure the motor does not have dry sump oiling. I searched for this and although I could not find technical details, the consensus is that it is a wet sump. I'm also not sure what other kind of oil cooling/starvation saving features it might have built in, if any.

Gear box is definitely a ZF unit, a similar unit to that used in the new Aston Martin Vantage but likely with different tuning specific to the Alfa.

The QV does look small and short compared to many of the modern sedans that keep growing and growing. This is a refreshing part of the styling and it hides its weight well.

Race mode is addictive and much louder than the other modes with the baffles fully open. There's a switch that you can install like with Ferraris that will open the baffles in any mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #242
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

Thanks, yes I see its ZF gearbox.
Even my M4 GTS had -2 negative camber all corner more or less it wear outer edge tire also my GT4 Porsche stock form destroyed front very fast.
I never buy in to the general forum storys of wear and tear on brakes/ tires or what people sugesst one need to track drive a car. I like to see for my selfe Whats what as we all drive different.
I will report back my findings anyway, the pork on this Q car is what will limit it on track, thats for sure. My car is 1700kg carbon bucket and steel rotors. The brakes carbon on M4 GTS was very nice but I am sure I can adapt to what the Q car can give me.

The M4 GTS was to porky at 1610kg, so
Sure the Q way to porky. On street I feel its very keen to drive and resoond, Looking to do tracks to see Whats what.
Same day me and my friend drive out cars on scale, my friends 2017 M4 Competition manual box was 1620kg full fuel vs my Q car 1700kg full fuel, so sure the Q car Is way to porky.
But I am sure my steel brakes fully stock will manage still.
I will be very open with my impression from the Q car at track. And sure, some small tracks I would not even bother to drive with a porky car like this. In the same way I did not drive them small tracks with M4 GTS.
We know we will destroy tires there.

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 05-30-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0