BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
Josh_F82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Bootmod3 & Daily Driving

The very last thing I want to do is start another BM3 vs. JB4 thread lol, so for the sake of debate and after tons of reading... I think the BM3 is my better bet.

My main question now is, how does BM3 (stage 2) hold up with daily driving? Is there a significant change in MPG and/or daily drivability? One of the features that originally drew me to the JB4 was its pass through mode where you were able to bring the car back to stock with a few simple taps on your phone. Changing on the fly is not that easy with BM3, and it would be nice to be able to go back to stock if you noticed you were burning through gas with just regular commutes to work. (The purpose of this tune will be simply for fun... I don't plan on doing any tracking)

If there is a significant difference, then I may have to go with a JB4 seeing I will have the option to easily turn it off.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

It has more to do with how you drive it than the tune, IMHO. Tunes that tend to emphasize torque down low encourage a heavier foot in street driving, and so those tend to get worse mileage but it's an unfair attribution.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_F82 View Post
The very last thing I want to do is start another BM3 vs. JB4 thread lol, so for the sake of debate and after tons of reading... I think the BM3 is my better bet.

My main question now is, how does BM3 (stage 2) hold up with daily driving? Is there a significant change in MPG and/or daily drivability? One of the features that originally drew me to the JB4 was its pass through mode where you were able to bring the car back to stock with a few simple taps on your phone. Changing on the fly is not that easy with BM3, and it would be nice to be able to go back to stock if you noticed you were burning through gas with just regular commutes to work. (The purpose of this tune will be simply for fun... I don't plan on doing any tracking)

If there is a significant difference, then I may have to go with a JB4 seeing I will have the option to easily turn it off.

Thoughts?
After owning both, I can tell you that there is no significant change in MPG for me at least. Of course that depends on your driving style. My commute is mixed with heavy city driving to some freeway and I havent noticed anything different. Even when I take her out on the weekends for hard pulls and what not there's nothing drastic.

Map switching on the JB4 is hands down faster and easier than the BM3. I dont even use the app anymore to change maps I just use the BC stalk button. You can do it even while driving. Cant do that with the BM3. The JB4 also has it's other little features that make it handy to have like the flap control, asd delete, max led brightness, etc. Back when I was just running the JB4, my wife would have to occasionally drive my car to her work so I usually kept it in Map 0 or 4. Forgot to change the map one day and left it on 2 and while she didnt die driving it thank god, she asked me if I bought some car parts she didnt know about to make my car faster. (she doesnt know about the BM3 tho.... said it was a factory BMW software update )
Appreciate 3
bb1857868.00
Laoschris489.00
      02-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
Josh_F82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Quote:

Thoughts?
After owning both, I can tell you that there is no significant change in MPG for me at least. Of course that depends on your driving style. My commute is mixed with heavy city driving to some freeway and I havent noticed anything different. Even when I take her out on the weekends for hard pulls and what not there's nothing drastic.

Map switching on the JB4 is hands down faster and easier than the BM3. I dont even use the app anymore to change maps I just use the BC stalk button. You can do it even while driving. Cant do that with the BM3. The JB4 also has it's other little features that make it handy to have like the flap control, asd delete, max led brightness, etc. Back when I was just running the JB4, my wife would have to occasionally drive my car to her work so I usually kept it in Map 0 or 4. Forgot to change the map one day and left it on 2 and while she didnt die driving it thank god, she asked me if I bought some car parts she didnt know about to make my car faster. (she doesnt know about the BM3 tho.... said it was a factory BMW software update )
Quote:

Great story, that's hilarious ???. Have ownedboth.... how do you like ur JB4 compared to ur BM3?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great story, that's hilarious ???. Have ownedboth.... how do you like ur JB4 compared to ur BM3?
The JB4 was fun and convenient. I really never ran anything more than Map 2 and maybe Map 7 like twice. It laid down solid noticeable power. But what really sold me on keeping it was the other little things like the flap control and asd delete.

But to be honest, I never really used the JB4 to it's full potential until I got the BM3 tune. I run both now (at the same time) and now tinker with it a bit more such as meth and exploiting Map 6 here and there. I still think there is a ton of unused potential with it given BMS' new E85 and BEF developments.

I'm glad I went with the JB4 first to get a taste of what a F82 is like with added power. When I got the BM3 stage 2 flashed it was just like the cherry on top. I knew what to expect in terms of a higher performance car and had a baseline to compare it to. Even the shop that flashed my car said I should run both and there's no downside...so here I am today. lol

Now if I went BM3 first, I dont think I'd complain at all. I'd probably never consider running the JB4 at all unless I planned on running meth or PI tho. The BM3 tune is so much more refined now than when I got it almost a year ago. I remember the day I flashed it I was like holy fuck this is almost unstreetable in Sport+ but that was quickly resolved the same day and all is well now.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      02-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
Josh_F82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The JB4 was fun and convenient. I really never ran anything more than Map 2 and maybe Map 7 like twice. It laid down solid noticeable power. But what really sold me on keeping it was the other little things like the flap control and asd delete.

But to be honest, I never really used the JB4 to it's full potential until I got the BM3 tune. I run both now (at the same time) and now tinker with it a bit more such as meth and exploiting Map 6 here and there. I still think there is a ton of unused potential with it given BMS' new E85 and BEF developments.

I'm glad I went with the JB4 first to get a taste of what a F82 is like with added power. When I got the BM3 stage 2 flashed it was just like the cherry on top. I knew what to expect in terms of a higher performance car and had a baseline to compare it to. Even the shop that flashed my car said I should run both and there's no downside...so here I am today. lol

Now if I went BM3 first, I dont think I'd complain at all. I'd probably never consider running the JB4 at all unless I planned on running meth or PI tho. The BM3 tune is so much more refined now than when I got it almost a year ago. I remember the day I flashed it I was like holy fuck this is almost unstreetable in Sport+ but that was quickly resolved the same day and all is well now.
So the efficient, sport, and sport plus still have significant differences with either tune? I would imagine those options went away after BM3 lol
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So the efficient, sport, and sport plus still have significant differences with either tune? I would imagine those options went away after BM3 lol
They're still there. Pretty much the same type feel to it in terms of throttle response. I dont think the JB4 or BM3 manipulated those specific settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #8
jhpo0326
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They're still there. Pretty much the same type feel to it in terms of throttle response. I dont think the JB4 or BM3 manipulated those specific settings.
So when you say you are running both is that a BM3 Stage2 E85 with a JB4 Map1?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #9
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpo0326 View Post
He's using BM3 as a back end flash.

Backend flash is a flash that runs in conjunction with the JB4 taking over functions such as air/fuel/timing (these functions are normally handled by the stock flash with some intervention from the JB4 to a small degree) while JB4 serves as the primary point for boost control
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #10
jhpo0326
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
Quote:

Backend flash is a flash that runs in conjunction with the JB4 taking over functions such as air/fuel/timing (these functions are normally handled by the stock flash with some intervention from the JB4 to a small degree) while JB4 serves as the primary point for boost control
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
Quote:

Got it but you are just using BM3 as your flashing tool to load in a BEF from BMS and/or MHD
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:36 PM   #11
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Got it but you are just using BM3 as your flashing tool to load in a BEF from BMS and/or MHD
Correct, BM3 is a platform for flashes and it is also used to allow independent tuners create maps tailored to your individual car
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:24 AM   #12
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

if anything these tunes are refined enough that you get better traction and less wildness, if you have an earlier production f8x
Appreciate 0