proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

02-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
May or may not be moving to Elk Grove, CA, for next 3-4 years.. advice appreciated

Hey guys, I may or may not be moving to Elk Grove, CA for the next 3-4 years in September for school. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or warning..

I was planning on bringing my car with me, but I'm wondering if I'll have any issues doing so? Like would it be safe? My car is pretty flashy.. since I'll be by myself, I was looking into renting an apartment in one of the "gated" communities that are in Elk Grove like Stonelake or Castellinino. Unfortunately every single community I researched online has pretty bad reviews. If anyone has any advice for me that'd be great.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Alright you're in Long Island and you're worried about NorCal? It's not so much Elk Grove that's the issue - it's south of there in some parts of Sacramento really (near Florin Rd) but there are plenty of uppity people from Elk Grove (scott boras comes to mind) and north of there, it's Roseville and even higher class neighborhoods... You're not moving to the slums or say Stockton for that matter... Plus, it's California, you're going to see f8x's everywhere, it's really nothing special, it's just a car... Crime is everywhere even in Beverly Hills so I don't see how that would prevent you from living your life... You survived Long Island I think you'll survive Northern California...

Plus, why leave your car sitting in NY for the next 3-4 years?! If you're going to do that just sell her and get a Prius to fit in here in CA...

Bring the car, don't stress, you have insurance and enjoy performance summer tires all year round...
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

elk grove is kinda far from roseville/folsom/uppity SAC

wife has relatives in elk grove we visited years ago. it seems average middle class.

you need a private garage IMO. thief and vandals run rampant.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Alright you're in Long Island and you're worried about NorCal? It's not so much Elk Grove that's the issue - it's south of there in some parts of Sacramento really (near Florin Rd) but there are plenty of uppity people from Elk Grove (scott boras comes to mind) and north of there, it's Roseville and even higher class neighborhoods... You're not moving to the slums or say Stockton for that matter... Plus, it's California, you're going to see f8x's everywhere, it's really nothing special, it's just a car... Crime is everywhere even in Beverly Hills so I don't see how that would prevent you from living your life... You survived Long Island I think you'll survive Northern California...

Plus, why leave your car sitting in NY for the next 3-4 years?! If you're going to do that just sell her and get a Prius to fit in here in CA...

Bring the car, don't stress, you have insurance and enjoy performance summer tires all year round...
lol to me Long Island is more similar to SoCal. I'd prefer to be in LA or even San Francisco b/c I've spent enough time at both places to know I wouldn't have anything to worry about... I've never been to Sacramento so I have no idea what to expect.

Long Island is like a bubble lol. I am not afraid to say it, I have no idea what life is like/would be if I weren't here.

I guess you're right, I'm going to bring the car with me either way. But thanks for telling me at Roseville.. I just looked and its 40 min away from the school which isn't too bad. The apartments seem much nicer there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast4d View Post

wife has relatives in elk grove we visited years ago. it seems average middle class.

I'm not going to rent a 3+ bedroom house if it's just me lol. I'm more than okay living in surrounding ****s that are nicer 30-40 min away.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy
Quote:

lol to me Long Island is more similar to SoCal. I'd prefer to be in LA or even San Francisco b/c I've spent enough time at both places to know I wouldn't have anything to worry about... I've never been to Sacramento so I have no idea what to expect.

Long Island is like a bubble lol. I am not afraid to say it, I have no idea what life is like/would be if I weren't here.

I guess you're right, I'm going to bring the car with me either way. But thanks for telling me at Roseville.. I just looked and its 40 min away from the school which isn't too bad. The apartments seem much nicer there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast4d View Post

I'm not going to rent a 3+ bedroom house if it's just me lol. I'm more than okay living in surrounding ****s that are nicer 30-40 min away.
I'm actually from NYC so to me, Long Island is like Elk Grove... jk...

You'll be fine, I lived for a year and a half in SF and hated it... Been in SoCal for years now...

Think about it - performance rubbers all year round... You'll love it...

Roseville I do like... New shopping mall, ton of restaurants and if you work out, they have one of the sickest gyms I have ever been to... Life Time Athletic, you should check them out...

Good luck with the move and if you get out here, welcome to CA...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

I am a member the the Sacramento Valley Chapter of BMWCCA. We have several members with M cars who live in Elk Grove. Most of Elk Grove should be OK. You could also consider other ****s around Sacramento County, including Arden-Arcade where I live, Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Citrus Heights, or Roseville, northeast of Sacramento. Stay away from West Sacramento, and the Oak Park, North Sacramento, and Del Paso Heights districts of the city of Sacramento.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

come to Elk Grove and drive over to East Bay on the weekends once a month to join our meets! good bunch of guys, and we try to do activities in addition to just driving...
      02-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #8
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:

No way. Beverly Hills exports all their crime to adjacent cities; even their parking laws are different from the rest of LA County. The only crimes committed in BHills are: Standing while being homeless and Qatari Princes speeding through residential streets in yellow La Ferraris (they have diplomatic immunity though. So it's all good.)
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #9
m4recruiter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - ED Pick-up 4/29/16

Look at it this way. Most criminals do their job very well. If you were a criminal, which neighborhood would you profit from breaking into or stealing cars?
2001 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Which school? Because 40 mins turns into 80 mins real quick when you're driving during rush HR.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #11
casschan86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 ZCP 6SPD

I live in Arden (I have a M3) and traffic in Sacramento isn't bad like socal. My GF has a m4 and she lives in EG. You should't have a problem. There are areas close to EG that are bad. A lot of asians in EG. Look at other areas if you have concerns.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #12
hadeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

EG isn't bad. Some areas are nice. The cops there are very quick in pulling modified cars over. I'm in Roseville, about 30 minutes away, worth the commute.
      02-09-2016, 12:38 AM   #13
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
I've lived in both NYC and now, Roseville. I'm originally from Orange County in socal (born and raised). What I'm getting at is, I'm accustomed to nice areas and have seen my share of dumps (bw parts of NYC and sac). You want to stay out of Elk Grove if possible. Roseville, Rocklin, Granite Bay, Folsom (parts), and El Dorado Hills are where I'd look if possible. Basically stay in Placer County. In my opinion, most of what I've seen in Sacramento County is a dump. No offense to any of those that may live in these parts... it's my opinion. Good luck with your move!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 02:45 AM   #14
USAM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

There are quite a few gated apartments in the Sacramento area that also have garages so your car will not be sitting out at night. You might want to look into those. The only place I would think your car may be tampered with is at your school. Are you going to enroll in McGeorge or at CSUS? If it's McGeorge that's in a pretty bad area. I should know, I grew up in south sac (the compton of sacramento) and know that area well. lol In all seriousness I wouldn't be worried too much. I park my M3 on the street whenever I visit my parents in the hood and I don't even think about it. I think in the hood a honda accord is probably more susceptible to being stolen over an M3. The accord is more familiar to them and their comfort level in stealing it over an M3, that they may know nothing about or even know how to operate, will sway their decision on which to take. Just don't leave valuables in plain site to tempt anyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #15
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

Crime is up in the greater Sacramento area. The city itself was rated one of the worst cities to live-in factoring in crime/poverty, etc.

Long story short, just take all the precautions you can make (e.g. don't leave things visible in your car that someone might want to steal, wheel locks, alarm might be a good idea...).

My 2 cents; probably worth 10 cents but that's as far as I will go. GL.
Appreciate 0