BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

10-14-2017, 03:06 AM   #1
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

ZCP - CS or GTS code?

ok calling all people who’ve had coding done.

I am getting a zcp which I understand has different coding to the regular m3, but doesn’t this match the different springs and hardware? Do you really get all the zcp benefits by coding or is the hardware like springs actually different? Is the diff and steering physically different or is it just the coding?

So my understanding is you can code

GTS steering
GTS DCT
GTS ESP - not really sure what this does
GTS diff - not really sure about this either

- is there anything else I’m missing?
- what are the CS options and how do they differ?
- also which settings are related to different hardware on the models?
- what’s people’s thoughts on CS vs GTS
- opinions on optimum setup

If you could elaborate on why you like a certain option it’d be great.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
One thing the CS has that the GTS does not is a revised calibration of the EDC (GTS has manualy adjustable full coilovers).

Further, according to AM&S supertest article, they say the CS ABS system has been greatly improved over the GTS to better take advatage of the r-compound tires.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
mrgold0.00
      10-14-2017, 06:24 AM   #3
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So this is what I’m talking about, settings that are specific to particular differences. So does that mean if you’ve got the zcp it’s best to stick to that specific EDC
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #4
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Interested to know this as well
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprequired View Post
So this is what I’m talking about, settings that are specific to particular differences. So does that mean if you’ve got the zcp it’s best to stick to that specific EDC
It's all about different setups and compromises. The CP and CS EDC settings are optimized around their stock configuration. From what I gather, both cars have the same spring and sway-bar rates, the EDC calibration on the CS is probably more focused for a sportier drive with rather sticky tires. If you plan on upgrading the tires on your CP or plan to track regularly, it is probably worthwhile to upgrade to the CS EDC, DSC and ABS settings.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 05:19 AM   #6
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I’d like to hear from people who have had these changes made to get some real world examples

At this point I think I’ve had it confirmed there’s no difference between diff, eps, and traction for cs/gts.

Tyres are one difference but not to worries about that. Interested in zcp damping and ca damping
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Just got everything done today on my f80 zhp. Gts power steering, gts dct, gts mdm, gts diff. Should have came from the factory this way. I left edc alone since my coder said there is very little difference between zhp edc and cs edc. I opted out as a result.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Just got everything done today on my f80 zhp. Gts power steering, gts dct, gts mdm, gts diff. Should have came from the factory this way. I left edc alone since my coder said there is very little difference between zhp edc and cs edc. I opted out as a result.
ok so can you throw me a bone and describe the difference over the stock setup? I'm interested to hear you explain it a bit in depth if you can. Does the steering weight just feel better for example or do you get more road feel?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #9
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

At my computer now so I can type a detailed response.

GTS DCT - An absolute must. It transforms the DCT gearbox to the point where it feels like an entirely different vehicle. I was seriously considering ditching the F80 because the gearbox was driving me crazy. Everyone says "you need to learn to adapt to it, you are driving it wrong, etc." NOPE. The stock DCT software just sucks. Jerky acceleration is gone. Jerky downshifts is gone. Faster upshifts and non-jerky downshifts are in place. Going into reverse is instant. Slow speed driving (e.g., around parking lots) is MUCH better. You lightly press the throttle and it moves forward slowly and smoothly with no jerk. Stock, it was press throttle, go nowhere, press more throttle, you jerk forward, press more throttle, you hit the car in front of you. No more of that non-sense. It is transformational. Just do it, now.

GTS Power Steering - 2nd best change relative to the DCT. When your steering wheel is dead center, when you move left or right, there is a "dead spot" that no matter how much you move it, the car stays straight. This means you need to give more steering input to get the car to turn. NO MORE!! With the GTS PS, you barely touch the steering wheel, it turns. The steering is more sensitive, but in a good, confidence inspiring way. For some reason, I also get the sensation that the steering is "smoother" in comfort mode. It's lighter, feels more natural, and makes the car a pleasure to drive on short or long journeys. You don't need to wrestle with the steering wheel as much. I can turn the wheel with my pinky finger and its super smooth. Definitely helps with driving fatigue in day to day traffic. The steering is noticeably more precise. Do it, now.

GTS MDM - MDM hardly kicks in anymore. Makes the car feel more natural and balanced without all the nannys telling me what I can and can't do. In a way, its more playful and fluid. Feels like the systems are getting in the way of letting the M3 be an M3.

GTS Diff - It's hard to distinguish what this changes due to the GTS DCT flash being done at the same time. However, you might as well just do it if you are going to do everything else. I am OCD and I hate when things are "incomplete" or "doesn't match." The whole package above will transform your F80.

I was a skeptic. I was reading some forum posts of people saying this and that, but I didn't have time to mess around since today is my day off after working 100+ hours last week and getting out of the office at 2am last night. I wanted to treat myself after a long stressful project was finally over. I decided to pull the trigger this morning without much research and thought. BOY AM I GLAD I DID!!
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race

Last edited by hellokitty; 10-17-2017 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 12
      10-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:

GTS DCT - An absolute must. It transforms the DCT gearbox to the point where it feels like an entirely different vehicle. I was seriously considering ditching the F80 because the gearbox was driving me crazy. Everyone says "you need to learn to adapt to it, you are driving it wrong, etc." NOPE. The stock DCT software just sucks. Jerky acceleration is gone. Jerky downshifts is gone. Faster upshifts and non-jerky downshifts are in place. Going into reverse is instant. Slow speed driving (e.g., around parking lots) is MUCH better. You lightly press the throttle and it moves forward slowly and smoothly with no jerk. Stock, it was press throttle, go nowhere, press more throttle, you jerk forward, press more throttle, you hit the car in front of you. No more of that non-sense. It is transformational. Just do it, now.

GTS Power Steering - 2nd best change relative to the DCT. When your steering wheel is dead center, when you move left or right, there is a "dead spot" that no matter how much you move it, the car stays straight. This means you need to give more steering input to get the car to turn. NO MORE!! With the GTS PS, you barely touch the steering wheel, it turns. The steering is more sensitive, but in a good, confidence inspiring way. For some reason, I also get the sensation that the steering is "smoother" in comfort mode. It's lighter, feels more natural, and makes the car a pleasure to drive on short or long journeys. You don't need to wrestle with the steering wheel as much. I can turn the wheel with my pinky finger and its super smooth. Definitely helps with driving fatigue in day to day traffic. The steering is noticeably more precise. Do it, now.

GTS MDM - MDM hardly kicks in anymore. Makes the car feel more natural and balanced without all the nannys telling me what I can and can't do. In a way, its more playful and fluid. Feels like the systems are getting in the way of letting the M3 be an M3.

GTS Diff - It's hard to distinguish what this changes due to the GTS DCT flash being done at the same time. However, you might as well just do it if you are going to do everything else. I am OCD and I hate when things are "incomplete" or "doesn't match." The whole package above will transform your F80.

I was a skeptic. I was reading some forum posts of people saying this and that, but I didn't have time to mess around since today is my day off after working 100+ hours last week and getting out of the office at 2am last night. I wanted to treat myself after a long stressful project was finally over. I decided to pull the trigger this morning without much research and thought. BOY AM I GLAD I DID!!
Is your car a competition package (prior to the coding) ?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #11
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Is your car a competition package (prior to the coding) ?
Yes, 2017 M3 competition package.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 1
qskid2810.50
      10-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #12
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, 2017 M3 competition package.
Just an FYI the option code is ZCP not ZHP ....(ZHP is Exec pack)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #13
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
haha thanks, im a noob

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #14
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Wow Kitty what a great review! I’ll definitey stick to what you’ve done and thanks again for taking the time to write that up. Very very informative!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #15
ctgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CIVIC M3

Quote:

Have to agree with everything you mentioned. I recently had all these changes made to my '16 non CP w/ DCT. I was really disappointed with this DCT gearbox (jerky, lethargic downshifts, clunky all around). The GTS DCT flash really transformed the way the gearbox behaves. So much smoother, really feels like a different car.

CS EDC, suspension feels a tad firmer with Eibach springs. Less floaty. Will test this out further and GTS MDM/DIFF at an upcoming track event.

Most are minor improvements with the exception of the DCT flash which in my opinion is major.
Appreciate 1
qskid2810.50
      10-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #16
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe not in North Korea. As far as I know, the ZCP option code for the Competition Package is only used in the USA.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 12:59 AM   #17
elmerzasty
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80

I cannot comment on the GTS DCT flash, but can only attest that I have experienced all of the above mentioned pros of the GTS DCT flash with just a dealer update in late 2016 on my non-CP M3.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #18
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerzasty View Post
I cannot comment on the GTS DCT flash, but can only attest that I have experienced all of the above mentioned pros of the GTS DCT flash with just a dealer update in late 2016 on my non-CP M3.
i'm not following, are you saying that the BMW dealer flash updated your car and it corrected issues with the DCT or they flashed the GTS DCT?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #19
elmerzasty
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80

The car had 02/2015 software previously. The dealer flashed the whole car to "civic" M3 7/2016 I-level. All of the before mentioned issues with the gearbox were fixed by this. I did not do the GTS flash.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #20
darkbro66
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 SO/CB M3

This post is really making me think about doing the same thing to my car. Is the best way to find someone that can update my car (also 2017 ZCP) just using the forum? I assume this is not something the dealer would help with in any way, even if they are mod friendly.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:19 AM   #21
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgeorge View Post
Have to agree with everything you mentioned. I recently had all these changes made to my '16 non CP w/ DCT. I was really disappointed with this DCT gearbox (jerky, lethargic downshifts, clunky all around). The GTS DCT flash really transformed the way the gearbox behaves. So much smoother, really feels like a different car.

CS EDC, suspension feels a tad firmer with Eibach springs. Less floaty. Will test this out further and GTS MDM/DIFF at an upcoming track event.

Most are minor improvements with the exception of the DCT flash which in my opinion is major.
Taking into account the above post, what year was your m3?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #22
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Kitty is what year is your BMW? The post 2 or 3 above is saying his m3 2015 got flashed and improved the DCT. I’m trying to work out if it improved to one level, and going gts dct would improve things again or is its already there
Appreciate 0