proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #67
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
it's only a few samples with manufacturing defects, not a wide spread epidemic affecting all exhausts.

yes, for the money, this system might be expensive for some people, but the fitment, warranty, and most importantly, sound is definitely worth the price.

this exhaust new is around $5K+, maybe $4500 after discounts if you look carefully around the internet. the used prices have been falling and this one listed at $3400 with tips is a damn good price. it was only a few months ago that you couldn't even find one for sale, let alone at a reasonable cost like this one.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 2
apexit214.00
MW16M357.50
      11-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #68
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
it's only a few samples with manufacturing defects, not a wide spread epidemic affecting all exhausts.

yes, for the money, this system might be expensive for some people, but the fitment, warranty, and most importantly, sound is definitely worth the price.

this exhaust new is around $5K+, maybe $4500 after discounts if you look carefully around the internet. the used prices have been falling and this one listed at $3400 with tips is a damn good price. it was only a few months ago that you couldn't even find one for sale, let alone at a reasonable cost like this one.

Nope, it's not... Why it is worth over 5K for a cat back exhaust? Because of the BMW Performance Decal on the can?

You can get a full system with warranty and best fitment for less than 4K, and those exhaust don't ckrack after couple thousand miles...

MPE is nice when you lease a new car, that may make sence.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #69
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Nope, it's not... Why it is worth over 5K for a cat back exhaust? Because of the BMW Performance Decal on the can?

You can get a full system with warranty and best fitment for less than 4K, and those exhaust don't ckrack after couple thousand miles...

MPE is nice when you lease a new car, that may make sence.
Again, the value is subjective to a prospective owner. To some it may not be worth it, and to others, it is worth the price. Personally, I think the MPE is the best sound exhaust on this platform compared to other exhausts that cost the same, and some that cost more (ahem akrapovic). And what I meant in terms of warranty is that because it's an OEM piece and not aftermarket, you wouldn't be voiding your powertrain warranty as well. To each their own.
Appreciate 2
MW16M357.50
T1M3LESS2269.50
      11-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #70
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:

Quote:
Again, the value is subjective to a prospective owner. To some it may not be worth it, and to others, it is worth the price. Personally, I think the MPE is the best sound exhaust on this platform compared to other exhausts that cost the same, and some that cost more (ahem akrapovic). And what I meant in terms of warranty is that because it's an OEM piece and not aftermarket, you wouldn't be voiding your powertrain warranty as well. To each their own.
Epidemic? Come on man, its a problem, how widespread who knows but more than enough for anyone to be weary of buying secondhand knowing full well they are SOL if it cracks. @te37 bought a used cracked one, tell us did BMW warranty it for you?

Aftermarket exhaust voids the powertrain warranty?!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #71
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Epidemic? Come on man, its a problem, how widespread who knows but more than enough for anyone to be weary of buying secondhand knowing full well they are SOL if it cracks

Aftermarket exhaust voids the powertrain warranty?!
my point is that we don't know if it's wide spread or not. there have been only a few incidences that have been posted on the forums (literally just one thread), and clearly not enough evidence for people to get worried. it could simply be an isolated issue considering how many of these exhausts have been sold to the public. the FUD is absolutely ridiculous without any sort of substantial evidence that proves otherwise.

And yes, any aftermarket part has the potential of voiding a warranty. The likelihood of that happening is slim to none, but it is still possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #72
MW16M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

This MPE sale reminds me of that old energy stock called Enrod...Pretty soon he, the poor OP, won't be able to throw the muffler away due to radiation contamination. However, a buyer or two here will take the muffler in for free, if the OP pays shipping.

All kidding aside, I'll be racing to my M3 tomorrow morning with a flash light and magnifying glass to check out my can man
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #73
MW16M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I think this thread has been very informative... and I, like many other forum members will do after reading,..Check their MPE can man. However, I firmly believe this to be an anomaly.
Appreciate 1
apexit214.00
      11-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #74
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

I would call bmw and raise hell.. did you buy from a dealer? even if you are third owner bmw dealer sells you car with bmw oem part on it they should have the ability to goodwill it or warranty it... my .02
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #75
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Dinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
I would call bmw and raise hell.. did you buy from a dealer? even if you are third owner bmw dealer sells you car with bmw oem part on it they should have the ability to goodwill it or warranty it... my .02
Thanks Jeff I'm trying. Dropped car back off at Classic BMW today for them to try again. When I inquired about getting a regional reps info for BMW the CA that I work with offered to try and take it up the ladder further. I told him I wasn't looking to throw him under the bus or anything, my gripe isn't with him. He said they won't help with this because I can't produce a receipt. I said bottom line is the car isn't even on the road full 2 calendar years yet even. The exhaust is less than two years old and is obviously a BMW OEM part. I did mention this thread and even showed it to him and some of the responses. This is a known defect and many are being replaced. I understand I have no receipt but it's a technicality to me from my perspective. Car has less than 14k on it and honestly is a garage queen, is not driven often. CA said talking to reps and moving up the ladder is his job and I think he was nervous about me saying something bad about his service so he offered to try again, harder this time I guess So we've come full circle now to dropped the car off today and he's going to see what he can do. Told him I'm not picking it up until it has a new MPE on it just busting his balls. He's actually a nice kid and I've spent a fortune in service for my wife's 335i at this dealership so I've "earned" it I think. I always go with their recommended service and they have been good to me with out of warranty items before so I'm not going to knock the dealership or the CA. This is a smaller BMW dealership so I'm sure they don't have the pull of larger dealerships around the nation but enthusiasts especially need help when there is a problem. We are a big part of driving the marque forward figuratively and literally no?
      11-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #76
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Jeff I'm trying. Dropped car back off at Classic BMW today for them to try again. When I inquired about getting a regional reps info for BMW the CA that I work with offered to try and take it up the ladder further. I told him I wasn't looking to throw him under the bus or anything, my gripe isn't with him. He said they won't help with this because I can't produce a receipt. I said bottom line is the car isn't even on the road full 2 calendar years yet even. The exhaust is less than two years old and is obviously a BMW OEM part. I did mention this thread and even showed it to him and some of the responses. This is a known defect and many are being replaced. I understand I have no receipt but it's a technicality to me from my perspective. Car has less than 14k on it and honestly is a garage queen, is not driven often. CA said talking to reps and moving up the ladder is his job and I think he was nervous about me saying something bad about his service so he offered to try again, harder this time I guess So we've come full circle now to dropped the car off today and he's going to see what he can do. Told him I'm not picking it up until it has a new MPE on it just busting his balls. He's actually a nice kid and I've spent a fortune in service for my wife's 335i at this dealership so I've "earned" it I think. I always go with their recommended service and they have been good to me with out of warranty items before so I'm not going to knock the dealership or the CA. This is a smaller BMW dealership so I'm sure they don't have the pull of larger dealerships around the nation but enthusiasts especially need help when there is a problem. We are a big part of driving the marque forward figuratively and literally no?
      11-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #77
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
      11-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #78
N54MPower
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Aren't they inconel?
It's as I stated, stainless pipes with a titanium main muffler. Inconel is heavy relative to stainless steel or titanium and would only be used on a exhaust/turbo manifold or the hot side of a turbo, not the cat back portion of the exhaust that isn't subjected to high heat.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #79
Bonzer103
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY/SO M3

I didn't read through the thread so this may have been mentioned, but cracking is a known issue with welding titanium. It is prone to hydrogen embrittlement that are common crack initiation sights as a result of the housing flexing.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #80
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54MPower View Post
Quote:
Aren't they inconel?
It's as I stated, stainless pipes with a titanium main muffler. Inconel is heavy relative to stainless steel or titanium and would only be used on a exhaust/turbo manifold or the hot side of a turbo, not the cat back portion of the exhaust that isn't subjected to high heat.
The E9X M3 MPE was made of Inconel, maybe the source of the confusion. Inconel is much stronger and more resistant to heat than stainless steel, which allows to reduce wall thickness hence lower weight.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #81
tommy94gt
Captain
Rep
Drives: SMB F80

Quote:
Not that rare apparently. My friend checked his today and its cracked in the exact same spot.

Spend your money on an Akra Slip-on it seems..
Akra seems to be the way to go but go full Evo!

Last edited by tommy94gt; 02-05-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
Bimmma43.00
      12-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #82
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desborough
Quote:
Just remember no receipt = no reimbursement from BMWNA. So the dealer has to decide if they want to eat approx $4k to make you happy.

I suspect a previous owner bought it cheap because it was dropped at some point.

Is the car CPO? Does this fall under CPO warranty?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #83
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm still looking for a cracked one to purchase . send me a message
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #84
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

So, if there are cracks to be found later, does anyone know how the warranty would work if you bought this used?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #85
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Well it finally caught up with me also....just spotted this last night. I did an inspection on Nov 2nd and all was well so it started sometime after that. I have noticed since it go colder that the exhaust was vibrating & resonating more. Mine is an early build car so it has a good 10-14k+ on the exhaust. Time to call the dealer
I purchased my M4 2nd hand with the exhaust so not sure how deep the pool will be for me to swim in. I wonder if they can investigate and tell if it was port installed or installed at dealer upon delivery since mine was a dealer car. If I recall correctly you could not order it with the MPE at the time from the factory and the only receipt i will have is for the car of course

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 02-13-2024 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #86
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeM4 View Post
OP went the cheap route and lost. Buy used parts and take your chances. BMW HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY HERE. Played the game and lost, by OEM or suck it up.
You are a fucking idiot.
Appreciate 4
LOW4LYF2161.50
IK6SPEED4481.50
      02-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #87
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeM4 View Post
Im not the one who bought a used part and now has a problem.
Are you kidding? One thing to is to buy something that has got 60,000 miles on it and who knows what else on it and assume liability on that.

What we are seeing here is quite obviously a DESIGN/MANUFACTURING DEFECT. All crack propogations we are seeing are similar indicating an obvious issue with the weldment / a stress concentration at that area.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #88
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Appreciate 0