GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

KW V3 Too low on F80 rear

Judging from those of us who have KW V3's, even at the highest setting, is nearly tucking/tucking tire.

I could raise mine higher, but the spanner would be exposed as a portion of it would be hanging off the treads.

Has anyone replaced the rear springs with other KW springs?

I also use the have the H.A.S. kit, and noticed the rear springs on that kit are significantly longer aka adjust the rear much higher.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr3s View Post
Judging from those of us who have KW V3's, even at the highest setting, is nearly tucking/tucking tire.

I could raise mine higher, but the spanner would be exposed as a portion of it would be hanging off the treads.

I also use the have the H.A.S. kit, and noticed the rear springs on that kit are significantly longer aka adjust the rear much higher.
KW are known to drop low. The twin-tube shock design helps to do that. Monotube setups usually don't go as low (I.E. Bilstein PSS10 / Ohlins). I'm not sure if getting a spring that is taller would match the shocks well, but you'd probably have to ask KW.
Appreciate 1
Danlnyc88440.50
      03-29-2017, 12:29 AM   #3
spoonf20c
let me see you become a ///Monster
Philippines
Rep
Drives: F80

pretty bummed about this myself, anyone consider placing a shim or spacer on the rear spring mount like macht schnell uses for their f80 spring application?
      04-22-2017, 06:36 AM   #4
Rooz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X5; 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonf20c View Post
pretty bummed about this myself, anyone consider placing a shim or spacer on the rear spring mount like macht schnell uses for their f80 spring application?
I talked with one of the local shops here about this and they mentioned in the past they had cut ~1inch spacers that allow you to adjust more. Am currently on the highest setting on the rear and the tires are tucked in behind the fender. Nothing's rubbing unless if I go over big dips in the road, wouldn't mind them being ~1/4 of an inch higher
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:29 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

You could use longer springs or a taller height adjusters. KW may have made the rear dampers significantly shorter thus the need for a shorter spring so there is enough droop travel.

KW had the same issue with the E9x none M and M coilovers as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
mtr3s
Captain
Rep

I called KW USA. No longer springs to match with the perch. There is a universal KW 30 MM spacer, but I don't like that idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #7
spoonf20c
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
I called KW USA. No longer springs to match with the perch. There is a universal KW 30 MM spacer, but I don't like that idea.
Quote:
any details on the spacer? what is it supposed to be placed between? part number or is listed on their site. i'll give it a shot if it's reasonably priced
      04-26-2017, 12:06 AM   #8
mtr3s
Captain
Rep

About $80.00. They sell them everywhere online. The one that fits is 30 MM. There is a smaller one, but that will not fit KW V3 rear.

I ended up lowering my fronts to match the rear. Now its rubbing issues >_<.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
spoonf20c
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
About $80.00. They sell them everywhere online. The one that fits is 30 MM. There is a smaller one, but that will not fit KW V3 rear.

I ended up lowering my fronts to match the rear. Now its rubbing issues >_<.
ha yeah i ended up lowering the front to match the rear gap too. its a bit much for daily driving and having a lip too. im gonna give the spacers a shot
      05-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
Oreganoflow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

no v3 rear height complaints here...

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
You can get springs from other sources that will work. Eibach, H&R, Hypercoil and Swift all have them.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #12
mtr3s
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
You can get springs from other sources that will work. Eibach, H&R, Hypercoil and Swift all have them.
Can you link me a few longer springs that will work to replace the rear springs? I assume the spring rate will be similar or there is a tolerance level.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can you link me a few longer springs that will work to replace the rear springs? I assume the spring rate will be similar or there is a tolerance level.
PM you with specific questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #14
ppjev
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Guys, those who use DDC from KW. What are you using to make rear of your car 1cm higher? On its highest position it is too low for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #15
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Does anybody know if its possible to use taller height adjusters?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
Does anybody know if its possible to use taller height adjusters?
Yes, you can as long as you can find a longer height adjuster. You can also use a longer spring or add a helper spring.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Is this also the case for f82?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #18
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppjev View Post
Guys, those who use DDC from KW. What are you using to make rear of your car 1cm higher? On its highest position it is too low for me.
Justin.AutoTalent answered this question on my build thread. It involves some factors but he has known me since I had my M4 (3+ years now) and would know what I like so he ordered meatier tires for me.

KW suspension always sit low. I'm almost certain the way DDC comes from factory are the highest they can go. You might be able to change the springs and push them up but I wouldn't recommend doing so as KW didn't design them that way. It's just like shoving aftermarket springs to lower your car on stock suspension. You aren't supposed to change the spring rate on stock suspension, it messes with how the car feels.
      07-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #19
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Justin.AutoTalent answered this question on my build thread. It involves some factors but he has known me since I had my M4 (3+ years now) and would know what I like so he ordered meatier tires for me.

KW suspension always sit low. I'm almost certain the way DDC comes from factory are the highest they can go. You might be able to change the springs and push them up but I wouldn't recommend doing so as KW didn't design them that way. It's just like shoving aftermarket springs to lower your car on stock suspension. You aren't supposed to change the spring rate on stock suspension, it messes with how the car feels.
KW springs are also known to collapse or lose free length over time that can contribute to the lower ride height as well.

A minor deviation in spring length and height isn't going to be an issue at all. Larger deviation will have to take compression and droop travel into consideration.

Does anyone know if the DDC rear dampers are much shorter than OEM?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 01:13 AM   #20
ppjev
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:

KW springs are also known to collapse or lose free length over time that can contribute to the lower ride height as well.

A minor deviation in spring length and height isn't going to be an issue at all. Larger deviation will have to take compression and droop travel into consideration.

Quote:
Quote:

I just talked to KW about my issue. They confirmed that there is nothing wrong if I will use longer spring, 2cm longer, but with the same force. They are sending me such spring next week. Also, spring with higher force would work, but they decided to go this way.

So problem is solved. 120nm/220mm spring will be used, instead of 120/200. Which will solve all the problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 10:56 PM   #21
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppjev View Post
I just talked to KW about my issue. They confirmed that there is nothing wrong if I will use longer spring, 2cm longer, but with the same force. They are sending me such spring next week. Also, spring with higher force would work, but they decided to go this way.

So problem is solved. 120nm/220mm spring will be used, instead of 120/200. Which will solve all the problems.
Excellent news!

Nothing wrong with changing spring length or rate slightly.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 12:36 AM   #22
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

Harold, spring collapse or ring....? Personally never seen or heard any complaints about a spring collapsing in my 8 years of selling KW.
Appreciate 1