Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #23
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

The new Accord is a fine car, not a single flaw and clearly best in class. The front end design is unconventional but isn't the reason for slow sales.

At the end of the day it's about $$. The Accord is priced higher than competitors and as such isn't that affordable to lease. Despite being such a great car, consumers aren't paying the extra coin.

Also, the Civic becoming larger and the CR-V being so good + the current crossover craze likely has something to do with it.

Honda will likely tinker with lease rates and things will sort themselves out.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #24
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
So the accord with the detuned engine will beat the type r to 60 thanks to 10 speed auto. For a performance car the type r is really slow to 60 lol taking 5.8 seconds. It may make up for it in the corners or after 60 but that is too slow IMO.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...rd-first-test/
Momentum car.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #25
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Doesnt matter the accord have a more power engine, Civic Type R is not meant for straight road, its meant for track and windy road. Fastest FWD on Nurburgring

Last edited by Blueeyesredpanda; 03-19-2018 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #26
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
Doesnt matter the accord have a more power engine, Civic Type R is not meant for straight road, its meant for track and windy road.
I thought about fighting this and all the people that bought amazing handling cars, just to turn them into drag-racers, but then I looked at a map and realized, a lot of people, possibly most people, live in places where there are no curvy roads. It's sad, but true. Quite literally, their cars only travel in straight lines and right angles. I think this is one reason that the drag racing/0-60/quarter mile/stoplight acceleration thing remains relevant for so many people. I really don't care for it, but for many people, it's all they've got...
      03-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #27
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
possibly most people, live in places where there are no curvy roads. It's sad, but true.
I am one of those people. Have an AWD too
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #28
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quite literally, their cars only travel in straight lines and right angles. I think this is one reason that the drag racing/0-60/quarter mile/stoplight acceleration thing remains relevant for so many people. I really don't care for it, but for many people, it's all they've got...
I have a 328i, those 335i, big v8, big turbo always look down on my 328i, until we hit a 360 turn on highway. I think people should really experience the track, a real windy track, not drag track.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #29
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
I have a 328i, those 335i, big v8, big turbo always look down on my 328i, until we hit a 360 turn on highway. I think people should really experience the track, a real windy track, not drag track.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #30
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

What kills accord sales; check the insurance rates on them.

They're fucking ridiculous cost more to insurance a 2009 accord in SFL than my 2015 F80.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #31
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
I thought about fighting this and all the people that bought amazing handling cars, just to turn them into drag-racers, but then I looked at a map and realized, a lot of people, possibly most people, live in places where there are no curvy roads. It's sad, but true. Quite literally, their cars only travel in straight lines and right angles. I think this is one reason that the drag racing/0-60/quarter mile/stoplight acceleration thing remains relevant for so many people. I really don't care for it, but for many people, it's all they've got...
You read my mind. Where the fuck do these people live in; the Alps?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #32
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post

They're fucking ridiculous cost more to insurance a 2009 accord in SFL than my 2015 F80.
It's because Accords are so popular - and always on or at the top of the list of Most Stolen Cars. BTW, if insurance cost is your main criteria for buying a vehicle, you also shouldn't buy a Honda Civic, Toyota Camry or Corolla, Nissan Altima or a full-size pickup.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #33
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The current gen Accord is really painful to look at. For the first time in a long time, the Camry has bested it in appearance and the sale figures reflect that. I sat in the new Camry and really liked it and I think it looks great.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #34
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
is really slow to 60 lol taking 5.8 seconds.
I love the fact that we can say this with a (semi) straight face. Even 20ish years ago, 5.8 to 60 was pretty quick.
      03-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #35
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
The current gen Accord is really painful to look at. For the first time in a long time, the Camry has bested it in appearance and the sale figures reflect that. I sat in the new Camry and really liked it and I think it looks great.
The sales figures for the Camry are so high right now because of the incentives on them and the amount Toyota is spending on national advertising. It will be interesting to see what happens when Honda steps up with competitive incentives.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #36
420Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
It's because Accords are so popular - and always on or at the top of the list of Most Stolen Cars. BTW, if insurance cost is your main criteria for buying a vehicle, you also shouldn't buy a Honda Civic, Toyota Camry or Corolla, Nissan Altima or a full-size pickup.
you have to realize the average audience buying those cars. They are for the working class looking to keep their monthly bill attainable; which includes insurance. That class i can assure you definitely is penny pinching where they can.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #37
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Around here (north Jersey) Honda dealers are pretty arrogant. My family has owned lots of Honda's because of their rock-solid reliability, but dealers almost act like they're doing you a favor when you want to buy one.
      03-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #38
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Around here (north Jersey) Honda dealers are pretty arrogant. My family has owned lots of Honda's because of their rock-solid reliability, but dealers almost act like they're doing you a favor when you want to buy one.
Same here where I live. We lease minivans every 2-3 years for the wife. 8 years ago I looked at a Honda and Toyota. They are neighboring dealers where I live. When I told the Honda saleman what the Toyota was offering for the price he said, “Well this is a Honda!”

So I’m on my third Toyota van now. We always get a premium 296hp V6 leather interior, navigation, and with sunroof van for the same $0 down monthly payment as the Honda dealers base engine, fabric seats, stripped plastic interior model Odyssey.

The Honda dealers need to wake up they are no better than Kia or Toyota but they think they Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #39
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
gawd the Accord is butt ugly.
Woah! You weren't kidding with that statement. I must say, I am especially impressed by the looks of the new Camry though. And I've read about a lot of problems with the Type R engine. Not good.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 07:25 AM   #40
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The new Accord is a fine car, not a single flaw and clearly best in class. The front end design is unconventional but isn't the reason for slow sales.

At the end of the day it's about $$. The Accord is priced higher than competitors and as such isn't that affordable to lease. Despite being such a great car, consumers aren't paying the extra coin.

Also, the Civic becoming larger and the CR-V being so good + the current crossover craze likely has something to do with it.

Honda will likely tinker with lease rates and things will sort themselves out.
I think it is a solid car... but the looks screwed this car over... it's competitively priced, I don't get the price arguement.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #41
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

I actually like the new accord. It's one of my favorite accords. I do not like the rims though. Honda has made some horrible rims in recent years! uke:

I doubt I would ever buy one though. I am bipolar when it comes to car purchases. This seems like its smack dab in the middle. It's plain but not plain enough. It's nice but not nice enough. Sometimes, I'd rather drive an old Camry than a new mediocre car (or my bicycle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post

I wonder what the reason is for this. Theft?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:17 AM   #42
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Honda hasn't been the same since the old man died years ago... They make a very reliable car, but one of the most boring looking cars on the road....and I am a Honda fan, but both Acura and Honda have lost thier way in the design aspect. The only good looking car they make these days start @ $170,000 unfortunately.(new NSX)

I love my gen 1 NSX, but don't think I'd buy any of the newest ACURA or Hondas.

The CTR (civic type- R) is prolly a very fun track car and an ass kicker, judging by its Nring lap times, but it's ugly af.

Should have brought back the ITR(Integra type-R)would have probably looked a lot better.

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 04-06-2018 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
eluded3002.00
      04-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #43
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I think a lot of things are changing in the world. High end German cars used to be exclusive and they used to be things that other cars were not. These kind of bubbles are almost always temporary in business, unless you truly have a niche, like perhaps Rolls Royce where there'll always be a few that will pay outrageous numbers for actual high quality materials and so on. Otherwise, the one constant in business IMO is that someone else will come along and eventually figure out how to do what you do, but they'll do it cheaper, faster, more efficiently, with new features, etc. With companies like GM and Ford going worldwide and with information technology what it is, nothing is that hidden or that exclusive anymore. Companies have learned how to leverage their design and procurement chains. German auto makers have been walking a fine line of trying to offer a little more excitement and sporty-ness and have it at prices that guarantee mass production sales numbers, but trying to stretch the car in every direction at once has taken it's toll and when it comes down to it, there was nothing that they were doing that no one else could not replicate. Now, others are replicating them or beating them at their own game. There is a lot of bias still in their favor, but that will eventually start dying out too IMO. That Honda has "caught up to" or "exceeded" the A4 is no surprise to me, it was only a matter of time.

If you do want to stay on top of "the game", you have to constantly reinvent yourself, constantly push the boundaries, invent new processes and new markets. Not some BS slight redesign to add 20hp, but actually push new technology that people want, because again, if you rest on your laurels, someone else will be along shortly to do what you do, but better.