BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Imran@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: All of them

Eventuri Carbon Intake System BMW F8X M3/M4 Development

So after months of development work the Eventuri F8X M3/M4 Intake System has been completed. The design process starts with a 3D scan of the engine bay which is then imported into CAD for the design work. CFD modelling is used throughout the modelling and then verified on the dyno.

Here is a photo showing the 3D printed prototypes in place:

The aim as always was to develop an intake in order to make the inlet track of the engine more efficient therefore allowing the engine to make more power. To do this Eventuri had to carefully balance inlet temperatures requirements with a smooth path for airflow. Clearly lower IATs is best for power but then ensuring the inlet track is smooth is equally as important to allow the turbos to draw in air with as little drag as possible.

All the main components are made from prepreg carbon fibre of the highest quality. The weave is a 100% match to OE BMW Performance products. CF is used because it is a great heat insulator across its thickness.

Filter Housings

The main component in our intake systems and the thing which sets us apart from other intake companies is the venturi housing which is a unique take on the regular "cone filter with heat shield" design. It is a Patent Pending system where the cone filter is reversed to decouple it from the narrower inlet/MAF tube and the actual housing acts to then shape the airflow smoothly down from the large opening to the smaller outlet to the MAF.

So what's so "special" about this intake - after all it's just another cone filter and a heat shield right???

Allow us to explain:

Most aftermarket intakes use a cone filter mated to the MAF tube and have some sort of heat shield surrounding the cone. In this configuration - the airflow has to negotiate a path from the large diameter at the base of the filter through to the smaller diameter of the MAF tube in a relatively short distance. Usually there is a velocity stack at the base of the filter to help the airflow. This is not great for aerodynamic efficiency as you will get dead spots and some turbulent effects.

The Eventuri is a new type of intake design which is patent pending and this is why: A cone filter is used - BUT here it is inverted and decoupled from the MAF tube. The filter is now mated to the front of the carbon housing and by inverting it the maximum surface area for incoming airflow is captured. Now, the carbon housing is not merely a heat shield - it shapes the flow smoothly down to the MAF tube over the entire distance of the housing. This means that we keep laminar conditions through the path into the MAF tube which is a lot more efficient. Basically the ENTIRE housing acts as a velocity stack. On the road - this translates not only to more power but smoother delivery and a sharper throttle response.

Here's a diagram to summarise the advantage of the design:

With the housings redesigned to fit into the more restrictive F8X engine bay the tubing which also hold the MAF sensors were designed.

LHS Intake

Looking at the engine, the left side has a short convoluted pipe going from the OEM airbox to the turbo inlet tube. In order to use the intake housing, the tube was redesigned, removing the ridges and importantly holding the MAF sensor.

To direct ambient air to the filter, a duct was designed which fits over the stock intake duct from the bumper. Initially this was designed as a closed duct to completely cover the mouth of the housing:

However, CFD analysis pointed to turbulence caused by the abrupt change in direction from the stock duct to the filter - on dyno testing this was proven as we gained more power by opening the top of this duct.

So this was redesigned and now the duct directs and saturates the filter opening with ambient air without causing a restriction - a balance between IATs and airflow:

Although now semi-open, IATs are still kept consistently low with the addition of a secondary heat shield and more importantly front scoops.

Now since the flexible stock tube had been removed and replaced with a rigid CF tube, it was important to ensure some movement in the assembly in line with engine rotation and vibrations. So a mounting bracket was designed to slot into the stock rubber airbox mount. The bracket has a stub at one end which sits in the rubber mount and allows for adequate movement:

RHS Intake

For the right side, the long tube was redesigned to go from our filter housing to the turbo inlet tube. This longer tube has to clear the top of the radiator fan shroud but stay under the stock strut brace. In order to do so, like the stock tube, the tube had to be transitioned from circular at the connecting ends to oval in the middle for clearance. Importantly, a constant cross sectional area was mainained throughout the length downstream of the MAF sensor.

Again - a duct was designed to capture ambient air from the stock ducts and direct the flow to the filters. Just like the analysis and testing carried out on the left side duct, we found that by opening the top of this duct, the system gained more power. Again - the scoops then ensure cold air saturation at the filter mouth.

Front Air Scoops

The final components in this system are the front scoops - essential in our system to direct ambient air to the ducts and then to the filters.

The scoops were designed for maximum efficiency in directing the incoming air to the stock duct openings. Many aftermarket scoops have a large flat area almost perpendicular to the oncoming air - not great for channelling it into the ducts as the airflow just "hits" this flat portion and creates turbulence.

The Eventuri Scoops have been designed to sit directly behind the front grills to capture as much air as possible and with a continuous curve to the duct opening to ensure this airflow is efficiently channelled.

Here are the 3D printed prototypes in place - as you can see they capture the full area between the duct opening and the grills.

Video demonstrating effectiveness of the scoops.

Full assembly photos:

Dyno Testing

We carried out extensive dyno tests both with the stock setup and the Eventuri in prototype form. Tests were carried out back to back on the same day under the same conditions to keep things fair.

We carried out several runs with both configurations until we got repeat results. Here is the end graph - the car in question already had an Akra exhaust.

Just to reiterate these results are with the full system in 3D printed ABS plastic.

So we saw a peak gain of 10-15hp on the runs made. Furthermore the gain is across a decent range of the RPMs and not just at the end. Even though our dyno fan produces wind speed of around 100 MPH dyno graphs can only show so much - on the road the results are more pronounced due to better airflow.

We are very fair when we publish dyno figures. We don't take the worst figure stock against the best figure with the intakes.

Here are the results from the system in full pre preg Carbon Fibre.

Flywheel (Best 3 runs stock vs Best 3 runs with Eventuri)

Flywheel (Best stock vs Best with Eventuri)

Wheel (Best stock vs Best with Eventuri)

The finished product in Carbon Fibre.

You can see other kits on the Eventuri website: http://www.eventuri.net

Last edited by Imran@Evolve; 12-18-2015 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 3
      12-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
JBiddy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M

beautiful pce
      12-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Kr3st
Wheel Whore
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
So it made ~15whp best/best?
      12-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr3st View Post
So it made ~15whp best/best?
That is correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

Looking good. Any chance you have average/average? Not sure if that's possible.
      12-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ul View Post
Looking good. Any chance you have average/average? Not sure if that's possible.
I don't think that is a fair figure as the first run with the stock intake was quiet low.

Based on the flywheel graph above average would be:

Stock 442.03
Eventuri 463.06

That's why we prefer showing highest vs highest.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra TT 6MT, '15 MW M4

Do I even want to know the price.......
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HIGH~PSI View Post
Do I even want to know the price.......
Contact one of the vendors in the classified section that supply the product in your region. There is a few threads up
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Contact one of the vendors in the classified section that supply the product in your region. There is a few threads up
But you want to hook your good friend DMK08 up out of region right? :P
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
But you want to hook your good friend DMK08 up out of region right? :P
I am sure I contacted you before general release.

As much as I love to look after old customers its out of my hands now. Can only serve non US customers for the Eventuri product line.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
I am sure I contacted you before general release.

As much as I love to look after old customers its out of my hands now. Can only serve non US customers for the Eventuri product line.
I can order from a Euro IP
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
Acree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting...

Now that's how you develop and introduce a product! Anyone have a link to the price?

Past
03 MB E55 AMG, 16 Grigio Medio F80 M3, 11 E92 M3, 13 BRZ, 06 Evo IX, 05 350Z
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #13
Kr3st
Wheel Whore
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
Now that's how you develop and introduce a product! Anyone have a link to the price?
http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...ke-system-1478
      12-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #14
Performance Eurowerks
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Great thread, as expected!

We've installed several of the Eventuri E46 M3 kits here at our shop. 100% of the time, clients have been absolutely pleased. All of our clients have completed full track seasons, no issues with hazing and yellowing. Stellar noise. Power that is actually tangible.

We imagine that the gains are just as prominent in the new F8X M3/4!
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #15
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Well done presentation, Imran. Beautiful piece of engineering.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #16
marcus321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Acura NSX

Man that is absolutely gorgeous!!! I will get one...one day haha. Its to expensive for my wallet right now.

IG: marcusnc1
Appreciate 2
DJM428.50
      12-18-2015, 04:41 AM   #17
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
Thank you. We will have even more data to share soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performance Eurowerks View Post
Great thread, as expected!

We've installed several of the Eventuri E46 M3 kits here at our shop. 100% of the time, clients have been absolutely pleased. All of our clients have completed full track seasons, no issues with hazing and yellowing. Stellar noise. Power that is actually tangible.

We imagine that the gains are just as prominent in the new F8X M3/4!
Thanks Alex! Glad your customers are enjoying their kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
Well done presentation, Imran. Beautiful piece of engineering.
Thank you - the Eventuri design engineer was really challenged by this system and took 6 months to complete whilst working on other intake projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus321 View Post
Man that is absolutely gorgeous!!! I will get one...one day haha. Its to expensive for my wallet right now.

There is a lot of pre pre carbon there and you can see how much time and thought has gone into the development so I think its competitively priced.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #18
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 07:14 AM   #19
IC3BLAK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 DCT SO

I have one of these fitted and if you have the money - honestly its well worth it! The built quality on the CF is par OEM if not better. Definitely pulls the RPM better and coupled with the JB4, its epic! For the looks/sound alone is great too if you're not after gains!
      12-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #20
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I like it in the red
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #21
F80KilahB
Private
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3 (on delivery)

Need this in my life!!! Adding to next year's Christmas list! One way or another she will be mine someday

Congrats on a stellar masterpiece, looks like it was meant to look like that from the get go!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #22
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

If If I was looking for looks aswell as performance then I would have this in a heart beat in blue Kevlar
Appreciate 0