Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #45
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolololol View Post
Ooops my bad, slight correction.

I actually did get the cable as part of the package just didnt pick it up !!

So happy now !!

PS, I do love the Hex Stage 2 Tune, im not interested in custom tuning so flash and forget is good for me. I am pushing more than 530hp and 500lb/ft of torque. Do I need any more power ?? The answer is no (for me).
Sounds like Vf spun this one in the background.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #46
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Sounds like Vf spun this one in the background.

If by "spun" you mean "handled this with good customer service", sure!

We notify all of our dealers of new incentives, discounts, pricing changes,
etc... approximately 30-days before we announce it publicly so they can
proactively start relaying it to their customers.

It's inevitable that someone will make a purchase just before a new deal
is announced and then feel like they may have missed out on something.
We do our best to try and minimize how many customers that may affect.

In this case the dealer just forgot to hand the HEX Flash Cable to the
customer with his paperwork when he picked up the car. One phone call
and a follow up e-mail and all is right in the world again.
Appreciate 2
domino_z1239.50
      03-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #47
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post

If by "spun" you mean "handled this with good customer service", sure!

We notify all of our dealers of new incentives, discounts, pricing changes,
etc... approximately 30-days before we announce it publicly so they can
proactively start relaying it to their customers.

It's inevitable that someone will make a purchase just before a new deal
is announced and then feel like they may have missed out on something.
We do our best to try and minimize how many customers that may affect.

In this case the dealer just forgot to hand the HEX Flash Cable to the
customer with his paperwork when he picked up the car. One phone call
and a follow up e-mail and all is right in the world again.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #48
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
I can post comparisons to both tomorrow.

I had VF Hex Stage 2, and dyno'ed at Auto Talent before I changed tunes.

We have dyno'ed a few Bootmod3 on 91. I'll try to post the actual chart instead of a iphone pic this time

We still have the DynoJet results for your car on Stage TWO as well,
so no sandbagging!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #49
soobieajax325
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3, WRX, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post

We still have the DynoJet results for your car on Stage TWO as well,
so no sandbagging!
The numbers are going to be different compared to the dynojet. If i'm not mistaken, auto talent uses a dynapack
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #50
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
So funny to see all of the BM3 drones come out with those annoying avatars every time this type of thread comes out... so here I am for VF.

Another EXTREMELY satisfied VF Hex tune customer here.

I don't care what anyone says, I did my own research, compared the VF and BM3 offering, and I still find the VF tune offering superior to what BM3 offers. I consider myself sufficiently verse to not be sold on marketing alone and having personally been involved in 'custom' tuning on other platforms, I was not looking for that. I see the value in BM3, I really do. If data logging on public roads and going through iterations of tunes by someone remote and then hope your car is running solid afterwards is something that appeals to you, by all means, the BM3 is powerful there. The allure of an ESTABLISHED, well developed vendor with fantastic customer service is worth the MINOR price difference ($300 price difference on tuning for a car that touches $80K -- really people are complaining about that?). Furthermore, tuning has a lot to do with experience, and to take advantage of the BM3's custom tuning platform one needs to have access to a professional tuner who will likely charge hundreds of dollars an hour for their labor and dyno time, in fact making the BM3 more expensive by far. Other than that... sure go ahead and tinker with your car on your own... .

For me, the set and forget nature of what has been a rock solid tune over thousands of miles offering consistent and OEM-like power enhancements both on the street and track is more than enough for me to recommend the VF Hex offerings.

By the way, I don't care what BM3 says about their 'burbles' and the fact they are going to offer this adjustment by 'slider' or something in the future. Volume alone will not change the fact that their burbles sound like SHIT. The GTS acoustical features of the VF Hex tunes are BY FAR the absolute best of ANY offering today. You could argue that online videos don't do sound clips any justice.. but relatively speaking.. listen to the bottom videos and compare that to any online BM3 burble clips. NO THANKS.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #51
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
So funny to see all of the BM3 drones come out with those annoying avatars every time this type of thread comes out... so here I am for VF.

Another EXTREMELY satisfied VF Hex tune customer here.

I don't care what anyone says, I did my own research, compared the VF and BM3 offering, and I still find the VF tune offering superior to what BM3 offers. I consider myself sufficiently verse to not be sold on marketing alone and having personally been involved in 'custom' tuning on other platforms, I was not looking for that. I see the value in BM3, I really do. If data logging on public roads and going through iterations of tunes by someone remote and then hope your car is running solid afterwards is something that appeals to you, by all means, the BM3 is powerful there. The allure of an ESTABLISHED, well developed vendor with fantastic customer service is worth the MINOR price difference ($300 price difference on tuning for a car that touches $80K -- really people are complaining about that?). Furthermore, tuning has a lot to do with experience, and to take advantage of the BM3's custom tuning platform one needs to have access to a professional tuner who will likely charge hundreds of dollars an hour for their labor and dyno time, in fact making the BM3 more expensive by far. Other than that... sure go ahead and tinker with your car on your own... .

For me, the set and forget nature of what has been a rock solid tune over thousands of miles offering consistent and OEM-like power enhancements both on the street and track is more than enough for me to recommend the VF Hex offerings.

By the way, I don't care what BM3 says about their 'burbles' and the fact they are going to offer this adjustment by 'slider' or something in the future. Volume alone will not change the fact that their burbles sound like SHIT. The GTS acoustical features of the VF Hex tunes are BY FAR the absolute best of ANY offering today. You could argue that online videos don't do sound clips any justice.. but relatively speaking.. listen to the bottom videos and compare that to any online BM3 burble clips. NO THANKS.
I set my tune and forget it too. I think you have a misconception of how the OTS maps work.

Sorry you picked the wrong platform no reason to be salty.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      03-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #52
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
I set my tune and forget it too. I think you have a misconception of how the OTS maps work.

I think you have a misconception of my point and since you only singled out that point, I'll elaborate on it.

All of the BM3's band-wagoners like to use the 'custom tuning', blah blah, 'data logging' and, blah blah, 'interface' that the BM3 offers as one of the sole arguments for why the BM3 is better.

The VF offers a vastly better OTS, plug and play, set it and forget it solution than what BM3 offers and that to truly take advantage of BM3s offering you need to custom tune - something that not everyone is cut out for and something that is going to cost, much more.

So... as you say, no reason to be salty that you chose the BM3 to do things (OTS) that could have been done much better by VF just to save a few bucks.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #53
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you have a misconception of my point and since you only singled out that point, I'll elaborate on it.

All of the BM3's band-wagoners like to use the 'custom tuning', blah blah, 'data logging' and, blah blah, 'interface' that the BM3 offers as one of the sole arguments for why the BM3 is better.

The VF offers a vastly better OTS, plug and play, set it and forget it solution than what BM3 offers and that to truly take advantage of BM3s offering you need to custom tune - something that not everyone is cut out for and something that is going to cost, much more.

So... as you say, no reason to be salty that you chose the BM3 to do things (OTS) that could have been done much better by VF just to save a few bucks.
If by better OTS maps you mean running higher boost to accomplish the same power with timing pulls then yes I guess VF is better.

I wonder how long these turbos will hold up running 26 PSI.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      03-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #54
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

BM3 is the full package IMO. The set it and forget it OTS maps are great. Dzenan Becic is an awesome tuner if you need something custom. The ability to edit custom tunes ourselves in the future is a huge bonus. The burble options sound great. The driveability is great. They always check your logs for you to be sure maps you choose to run is safe with your available fueling. And their tunes make remarkable power.

Sorry I don't know how to embed a video. This is the BM3 GTS burbles on stock sport exhaust with DP's:
https://youtu.be/faAtySnM0fU
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      03-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #55
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Quote:

Jesus you're deluded. Whatever makes you feel better I guess. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #56
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

alz0rz 1FastS4 our OTS maps are simply just that, off the shelf, pre-generated, flash and go

There is zero requirement for anyone to datalog, custom tune, in any way to enjoy these tunes and put down the numbers we've shown so far out of these out of the box tunes.

Stage 1 93 octane: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1297004
Stage 2 93 octane: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1320220
Stage 2 93 on car with OEM downpipes, just dropin filters and exhaust: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=477

On the custom tuning side of it the tuners using bootmod3 and us do both custom flash-only tunes and flash tunes stacked with piggybacks. Fuel-It's M4 putting down 700whp and running 172mph in the 1/2 mile with a Pure Stage 2 setup and full E85 is one of those custom tuning examples. Once the custom tuning feature is released all bootmod3 users will have access to tables for tuning themselves or with their tuner of choice; same tables we use, no exceptions.

Appreciate 3
dmk087318.00
hexone36.50
FSociety3812.50
      03-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #57
1FastS4
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S3 & 2016 M4

Quote:
If by better OTS maps you mean running higher boost to accomplish the same power with timing pulls then yes I guess VF is better.

I wonder how long these turbos will hold up running 26 PSI.
My car made 20psi on Stage 1, and 22psi on Stage 2 so I'm not sure where you're getting 26psi numbers at. At Shift Sector my logs were showing 22psi tapering to 20psi at WOT, while making between 8 and 12 degrees in every gear across the entire RPM range for the full 1/2 mile pass.

It's also funny to me that you guys are always looking at BM3 dyno plots on 93 octane, 5th gear pulls, and STD Correction for comparrison to VF/HEX dyno plots on 91 Octane, 4th gear, and Uncorrected.
Appreciate 2
domino_z1239.50
      03-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #58
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastS4 View Post
My car made 20psi on Stage 1, and 22psi on Stage 2 so I'm not sure where you're getting 26psi numbers at. At Shift Sector my logs were showing 22psi tapering to 20psi at WOT, while making between 8 and 12 degrees in every gear across the entire RPM range for the full 1/2 mile pass.

It's also funny to me that you guys are always looking at BM3 dyno plots on 93 octane, 5th gear pulls, and STD Correction for comparrison to VF/HEX dyno plots on 91 Octane, 4th gear, and Uncorrected.
Those were the quoted numbers in the old VF thread by VF themselves. So did they change their tune?

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1189

Last edited by dmk08; 03-22-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #59
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Drew's car is fast, no doubt about that.
He's also JB4, FBO, meth injection, ethanol blend, with drag radials.

I was 1 MPH slower than his best ShiftSector trap speed.
HEX Tune, downpipes, VF charge cooler, and 5 gallons 104 Octane/2 gallons 91 Octane, and Bridgestone RE71's.

That 165+ came from a completely different event in Arizona, so I have nothing to compare that to.
I don't want to muck up this thread, as I think VF and BM3 have done some great work with flash tuning on the S55, but FWIW Brother at the October Shift-S3ctor event I was running the JB4, 100% Meth, an E48 mix and 20" Drag Radials, I've never been FBO. I ran in hot weather and I hit 157MPH, so that's ~3MPH faster. Eric's JB4 M3, E30 on Map 2, no other mods, did 154MPH. Having said that your car did great regardless.

The 166MPH 1/2 mile trap speed happened at NFZ in California not Arizona, the same event Steve's Fuel-it, Pure Turbos, BM3/JB4 car did 172, for that event I added ESS Tuning DP's, and you are right NFZ trap speeds are higher than SS3.

Also you don't always need trap speeds or dynos to compare or see how well a tune or piggyback performs, I have several 1/2 mile racing videos that speak volumes about what the JB4, Meth and E48 can do, to me those speak a lot louder than a review or a dyno plot posted on a car forum.
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH

Last edited by DLSJ5; 03-22-2017 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #60
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Those were the quoted numbers in the old VF thread by VF themselves. So did they change their tune?

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1189
Either that or 26 psi was not requested by the ECM on those runs on that particular day, in order to achieve VFs target hp/tp figures, which actually is good.

Good question none the less.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #61
1FastS4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
I don't want to muck up this thread, as I think VF and BM3 have done some great work with flash tuning on the S55, but FWIW Brother at the October Shift-S3ctor event I was running the JB4, 100% Meth, an E48 mix and 20" Drag Radials, I've never been FBO. I ran in hot weather and I hit 157MPH, so that's ~3MPH faster. Eric's JB4 M3, E30 on Map 2, no other mods, did 154MPH. Having said that your car did great regardless.

The 166MPH 1/2 mile trap speed happened at NFZ in California not Arizona, the same event Steve's Fuel-it, Pure Turbos, BM3/JB4 car did 172, for that event I added ESS Tuning DP's, and you are right NFZ trap speeds are higher than SS3.

Also you don't always need trap speeds or dynos to compare or see how well a tune or piggyback performs, I have several 1/2 mile racing videos that speak volumes about what the JB4, Meth and E48 can do, to me those speak a lot louder than a review or a dyno plot posted on a car forum.
It was probably that pesky head wind we were dealing with all day!

Just kidding. Your car is definitely quick, and you've always been great at putting the power down when it counts.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #62
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Paul View Post
Sorry I don't know how to embed a video. This is the BM3 GTS burbles on stock sport exhaust with DP's:
https://youtu.be/faAtySnM0fU
Are the burbles only below 4K like oe zcp/gts?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #63
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

Is there thoughts on ESS vs BM3 vs VF OTS tunes? I have a local vendor doing ESS, but the BM3 franchise is half way across (up) the country
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #64
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:

What were you using to datalog these runs, if you don't mind me asking.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #65
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
Either that or 26 psi was not requested by the ECM on those runs on that particular day, in order to achieve VFs target hp/tp figures, which actually is good.

Good question none the less.
Someone smarter than me told me that he's probably looking at MAP values not TMAP and MAP maxes out at 22.5 psi.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #66
1FastS4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Someone smarter than me told me that he's probably looking at MAP values not TMAP and MAP maxes out at 22.5 psi.
The log above clearly shows that it is reading Absolute Manifold Pressure (TMAP) as 36.3psi. Minus the barometric pressure of 14.4psi means that actual boost pressure is 21.9psi.
Appreciate 1
tuan40918.00