proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

02-12-2022, 11:26 AM   #1
Samf82m4
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 6MT

M3 Wheel Setup on M4?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey all, I've been looking to pull the trigger on some wheels for my M4 and I'm really aiming towards a set of Rohana RFX5s. Here is the common sizing I have found among M3 owners:

Front: 20x10 ET 22 275/30/20
Rear: 20x11 ET 28 305/25/20

I've seen two users with F80s (pictures attached) rocking this setup with spacers and state:

"I had them on my car with 5mm spacers in the rear, 12.5-10mm spacers in the front. Fitment is aggressive, there is no rubbing issues when installed without spacers"

My simple question is, should I be able to run these wheels on my M4? More specifically, I'll be installing EMD springs to pair so I'll have similar wheel gap to the examples attached. Is there anything I need to consider here? I don't want an extremely aggressive setup I'm gonna have to worry about rubbing all the time and it sounds like that is achievable here if I play around with spacer sizing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 03:54 PM   #2
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

My man there is little to no difference between an M3 and M4. Except M4 can clear 275s in the front a lot easier than an M3 but any wheel that fits an M3 will fit on an M4. However, those offsets are less than ideal and I wouldn't mess with them and I wouldn't recommend you do either if you are here asking about wheels on an M3 fitting on an M4.

Also one users definition of rubbing is not the same as anothers. Simply looking at the pictures you posted there is no way those don't rub, just look where the tire sits in relation to the fender. And on springs you have no ability to raise/lower or adjust camber to hopefully clear them.

My advice would be simply to buy a set of wheels with the correct offsets so you don't have to mess with spacers or rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 07:46 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I ran a few sets of wheels between my F80 and F82, and the latter was an easier fit. The rear fender wells on the F80 pull in a little more, it gives the car "them hips". I was going for extra fat in the rears with 325s. They rubbed a tiny bit on the F80 but still fit by raising MP-HAS up like stock. On the F82 they just fit.

If you're not pushing the limit of fitment then wheels are generally interchangeable between the two cars. If you need the definitive answer ping SignatureWheelBMW and ask Jimmy, he's the pro's pro.
      02-13-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
Samf82m4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
I wouldn't recommend you do either if you are here asking about wheels on an M3 fitting on an M4.
Lol ok. I know F80 and F82 wheels are interchangeable, that's pretty obvious. I was looking for an answer similar to TopJimmy's where he mentioned the fender well differences.

I've ran "safe" wheel combos on all of my BMWs but this time I'm trying to push the fitment boundaries as much as I can (mainly for astetic). I don't track my M4 and everywhere I drive is within a 2 mile range.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 11:07 AM   #5
Samf82m4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I ran a few sets of wheels between my F80 and F82, and the latter was an easier fit. The rear fender wells on the F80 pull in a little more, it gives the car "them hips". I was going for extra fat in the rears with 325s. They rubbed a tiny bit on the F80 but still fit by raising MP-HAS up like stock. On the F82 they just fit.

If you're not pushing the limit of fitment then wheels are generally interchangeable between the two cars. If you need the definitive answer ping SignatureWheelBMW and ask Jimmy, he's the pro's pro.
Perfect thanks! I've also reached out to VIBE motorsports. They have a silverstone F80 on RFX5s all over the internet but I can't find it on their website . I'm hoping they can provide some guidance as well.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5472.50
      02-13-2022, 11:13 AM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samf82m4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

Perfect thanks! I've also reached out to VIBE motorsports. They have a silverstone F80 on RFX5s all over the internet but I can't find it on their website . I'm hoping they can provide some guidance as well.
The reason I mention Jimmy at Signature is he takes into account the actual sidewall profile of each tire make/model when he answers. If you want to max things out those little details matter…like are the shoulders round or square…does sidewall flex on these tires or are they stiff…and he answers for any wheel make/model too. It's worth the PM to learn a lot.