EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

01-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #23
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
The only reason why I got the M4 is because I knew I wanted DCT over BMW's rubbery manual action, and the DCT over its two gen lifespan has proven to be a rock solid piece of engineering wizardry worthy of applause. Bravo, BMW.

Being new to DCT and coming from 20K miles worth on the fast upshifting ZF 8 speed box, the real DCT difference maker is the much more responsive downshift. Splitting hairs, the ZF D/auto feel is marginally smoother than DCT in D/efficient.

ZF, eat this L.

DCT, enjoy the W.
huh.

boy I wouldn't call the MT "rubbery", I think it's great, but then I'm on my 3rd DCT so I don't have tons of daily experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #24
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
I haven't had any particular quality problems with my DCT but I certainly would have gone with the manual in hindsight. This DCT is outstanding in spirited canyon or track driving but it is clunky and not friendly around town and on start up. Also I just read an article in which the BMW executive said that the future will be conventional automatics as the DCT cannot handle the power of some of the M engines. The new M5 is an example of that already as they ditched the DCT in favor of a conventional automatic.
A DCT can handle the power, that's not the real reason BMW went with an AT on the M5. It is all about cost.

This conversation was taken out of this thead by moderators; further discussion on the topic should be continued here: http://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1456357

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #25
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I had an E92 DCT M3 for 6 years and well over 100 track days with it. Never had a single issue with the DCT. A track buddy of mine bought it and has kept on tracking it over the last 3 years. He hasn’t had any issue with it either.

My M4 DCT has been flawless over the last 3 1/2 year and 60+ track days thus far.
Was the fluid ever changed?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #26
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Was the fluid ever changed?
No

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #27
SpaceCowboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 in white with CS

Quote:
A DCT can handle the power, that's not the real reason BMW went with an AT on the M5. It is all about cost.

This conversation was taken out of this thead by moderators; further discussion on the topic should be continued here: http://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1456357

http://www.thedrive.com/news/9582/bm...-their-way-out

"...according to BMW M’s vice president of sales and marketing, Peter Quintus, they just can't handle the power put out by the highly-tuned engines. Both the DCT and manual gearboxes are starting to become a weak point in the powertrain, and Quintus feels that the answer lies in old-fashioned torque converter automatics."
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #28
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH View Post
This is my first "automatic" after 30 years of buying ONLY manual cars. Was a total manual snob up until a couple years ago.

Love the DCT and (very strangely) can't even imagine wanting a manual transmission for my next car after having the DCT.
This happened to me when I got my first DCT on my E92 M3. I have a combined 90k miles with two DCT cars and I would not hesitate to get another.
      01-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #29
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
Quote:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/9582/bm...-their-way-out

"...according to BMW Ms vice president of sales and marketing, Peter Quintus, they just can't handle the power put out by the highly-tuned engines. Both the DCT and manual gearboxes are starting to become a weak point in the powertrain, and Quintus feels that the answer lies in old-fashioned torque converter automatics."
I agree with CanAut. The real reason they are abandoning DCT is cost. There are a few FBO F10 M5's out there pushing north of 700 hp with no issues.
      01-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #30
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I know a few guys that had the oil leaking from their tranny in the e92.

However all of us have sold our cars so not sure what happened afterwards or if that is symptom of more serious matter.
at a CCA meeting I attended in Montvale last year it was said that the F8X DCT is not the same box as was in the E9X, that instead our DCTs are from the M5. wondered if anyone else has that information?
In my 335, it leaked oil. the box in the 335 was esentially the same as in the M3, without the trans cooler.
it was an issue with the plastic oil sump, which was redesigned before the F8x
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #31
Indiana Jones
Private
Rep
Drives: Panigale 1299

I have to say, living in a big city like Miami, DCT is great option, and for me the best option. It gives you plenty of manual feel, minus the third pedal, which may sound odd, as that's is usually the reason to get manual. It's hard to explain, but you can feel the clutch engage/grab and release. If you're at a light you don't need to stay on the brakes and if you're on a hill you will roll back until you engage the gas/clutch. As a manual driver, I don't feel like I am settling or sacrificing by going to DCT. DCT is a great transmission that performs better than manual...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #32
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
I have to say, living in a big city like Miami, DCT is great option, and for me the best option. It gives you plenty of manual feel, minus the third pedal, which may sound odd, as that's is usually the reason to get manual. It's hard to explain, but you can feel the clutch engage/grab and release. If you're at a light you don't need to stay on the brakes and if you're on a hill you will roll back until you engage the gas/clutch. As a manual driver, I don't feel like I am settling or sacrificing by going to DCT. DCT is a great transmission that performs better than manual...
Miami a big city? San Antonio has 3x the population.

I live in LA. This is a big city. I can't imagine driving a manual shift in something so practical as a 3/4 series commuter car in this concrete jungle with third world roads.

But you're right on target about the feel. DCT is the real deal.
      01-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #33
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
Miami a big city? San Antonio has 3x the population.

I live in LA. This is a big city. I can't imagine driving a manual shift in something so practical as a 3/4 series commuter car in this concrete jungle with third world roads.

But you're right on target about the feel. DCT is the real deal.
You looking at Dade County or just city of Miami? The city of Miami is only one of many municipalities in what is considered "Miami". No where near the size of L.A. but no way is San Antonio larger than the Miami metro area. Miami metro is also very spread out L.A. style vs. concentrated NY-style.
      01-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #34
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
I drove a 80's mustang with a heavy cable-operated clutch in bumper-to-bumper traffic every day one summer for a co-op job in Dallas/Ft Worth (literally between those two cities) during road construction. By the fall my left leg was noticeably bigger than the right Still love a 6MT but DCT is ready for prime time. Hopefully it won't be the last of its kind in a BMW.
      01-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #35
Indiana Jones
Private
Rep
Drives: Panigale 1299

Miami is a big city, as far as TRAFFIC is concerned...always in or around the Top 5 worst cities for traffic...which is why anyone here should consider DCT.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread