ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

02-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #45
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

loving this car more and more now
      02-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #46
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Killjoy: I think you are taking this a little too seriously. Just a fun marketing stunt from BMW. Seems to be working given the discussion. Many like me appreciate seeing this like this. There isn't a message here that only the M4 can do hoon in the snow.
My thoughts EXACTLY!!! Lighten up man!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #47
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This car is like cleavage.... I can't take my eyes off of it!

I really really love it.... ESPECIALLY in Austin Yellow. With black wheels.

Keep the pictures coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I've seen a few 4 series cars on the street including a bitchin' Estoril blue 435i M Sport, I've accepted the "M4" moniker as a thing to be proud of. I don't care what BMW calls it, I want it badly.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #48
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes, agree that the M4 looks awesome in that colour and those wheels. The car has presence!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #49
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
The conditions and images shown in these photos, while awesome, could be replicated with almost any car. Doesn't really mean much.
It does to people who claim a RWD car cannot be successfully driven in the snow. Those people do exist, believe it or not.

Quote:
Just because you can drive it in the snow, doesn't mean you should.
Oh I agree 100%. A car like this should only be driven in the snow by someone with good car control skills. This is exactly why BMW has this winter driving program - to teach those skills.

Quote:
Again, it isn't a debate of if you can get it rolling forward, its your margin of safety which is the issue, which will always be higher with an AWD given an identical setup.
I may not strictly agree, but for the sake of not derailing this thread, I won't debate you. I'll add, though, that the majority of the vehicles out there do not have AWD, and I'll bet you even know folks who don't drive non-AWD cars in the winter whom you do not feel compelled or obligated to have discussions about such choices with.

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure it will be hella fun in the snow, on a closed course.. just not as a daily driver through all conditions winter can throw at you.
Well, mine has been very fun this winter on public roads driving in the same conditions that everyone else in this part of the US has been driving in. I've gotten stuck twice - once in my own driveway because I did not have time to clear it before work, and once when I did not see the huge drift that had accumulated on my street despite that we had had no snowfall for over 24 hours and I had just driven through that same area a couple hours earlier. And you know, even getting the car unstuck was fun in its own way.

Quote:
...However, I would still take the added margin of safety another car could provide any day.
Fantastic. It is certainly a personal choice, and that sounds like the right choice for you then, and one in which you must be extremely comfortable and content with.

Be safe out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #50
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

If the M4 can pull this off, I am sure the M3 can do all that while looking much better.

Awesome pictures!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #51
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It does to people who claim a RWD car cannot be successfully driven in the snow. Those people do exist, believe it or not.

Oh I agree 100%. A car like this should only be driven in the snow by someone with good car control skills. This is exactly why BMW has this winter driving program - to teach those skills.

I may not strictly agree, but for the sake of not derailing this thread, I won't debate you. I'll add, though, that the majority of the vehicles out there do not have AWD, and I'll bet you even know folks who don't drive non-AWD cars in the winter whom you do not feel compelled or obligated to have discussions about such choices with.

Well, mine has been very fun this winter on public roads driving in the same conditions that everyone else in this part of the US has been driving in. I've gotten stuck twice - once in my own driveway because I did not have time to clear it before work, and once when I did not see the huge drift that had accumulated on my street despite that we had had no snowfall for over 24 hours and I had just driven through that same area a couple hours earlier. And you know, even getting the car unstuck was fun in its own way.

Fantastic. It is certainly a personal choice, and that sounds like the right choice for you then, and one in which you must be extremely comfortable and content with.

Be safe out there.
One of the classiest replies ever
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #52
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
The conditions and images shown in these photos, while awesome, could be replicated with almost any car. Doesn't really mean much. Just because you can drive it in the snow, doesn't mean you should.. Again, it isn't a debate of if you can get it rolling forward, its your margin of safety which is the issue, which will always be higher with an AWD given an identical setup. You can't predict everything the clowns around you will do on the highway, and I prefer to have all the margin I can get rather than have to deal with an accident.

Yes, I'm sure it will be hella fun in the snow, on a closed course.. just not as a daily driver through all conditions winter can throw at you.

Back in the day, I was driving my rwd Lexus IS300 through all kinds of winter weather while everyone on the forums was crying about how much it sucked in snow... it wasn't that bad. Same prob applies to M4. However, I would still take the added margin of safety another car could provide any day.
the flip side is that these aren't rare, collectibles. these cars are meant to be driven. they're expensive to own, and if you don't drive them for three months of the year, you're increasing the cost of ownership significantly for each mile driven (when you think about the somewhat steep depreciation curve).

it's a personal thing, of course, but I've always driven all of my cars year-round and would anticipate driving this M3 in the winter as well (with proper winter rubber).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #53
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

Great shots. This car is just looking better and better! I bet it was a blast
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #54
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

quattro my ass
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #55
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
This car is like cleavage.... I can't take my eyes off of it!

I really really love it.... ESPECIALLY in Austin Yellow. With black wheels.

Keep the pictures coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I've seen a few 4 series cars on the street including a bitchin' Estoril blue 435i M Sport, I've accepted the "M4" moniker as a thing to be proud of. I don't care what BMW calls it, I want it badly.
thats what i want to hear! none of that m235i nonsense
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #56
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
The conditions and images shown in these photos, while awesome, could be replicated with almost any car. Doesn't really mean much. Just because you can drive it in the snow, doesn't mean you should.. Again, it isn't a debate of if you can get it rolling forward, its your margin of safety which is the issue, which will always be higher with an AWD given an identical setup. You can't predict everything the clowns around you will do on the highway, and I prefer to have all the margin I can get rather than have to deal with an accident.

Back in the day, I was driving my rwd Lexus IS300 through all kinds of winter weather while everyone on the forums was crying about how much it sucked in snow... it wasn't that bad. Same prob applies to M4. However, I would still take the added margin of safety another car could provide any day.
Agree with you 100%.
      02-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #57
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
One of the classiest replies ever
+1
      02-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #58
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
thats what i want to hear! none of that m235i nonsense
That's right! Now, how am I going to do it? Turn in my lease early and get killed? Sell my car and hope to get enough to pay it off? Wait til Sept 2015 when my lease is up???? Help me Phil!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #59
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
That's right! Now, how am I going to do it? Turn in my lease early and get killed? Sell my car and hope to get enough to pay it off? Wait til Sept 2015 when my lease is up???? Help me Phil!
wait till lease is over...your car is awesome right now...then pick up a low mileage CPO (as a result of some rich dude who didn't like the car and took the hit you mentioned above but to him was chump change)!

thats the best buy you can get on these cars....example i bought my car 20k off msrp with 4k miles!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #60
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
wait till lease is over...your car is awesome right now...then pick up a low mileage CPO (as a result of some rich dude who didn't like the car and took the hit you mentioned above but to him was chump change)!

thats the best buy you can get on these cars....example i bought my car 20k off msrp with 4k miles!

I'll take that under advisement.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #61
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

The only trouble I had was this past storm in PA with the slush and frozen pavement underneath!! I couldn't go anywhere. Other than that I use my car in every storm and it handles very well with snow tires
      02-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #62
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

AWD and 4WD just gets you deeper into the ditch when you slide off the road. They brake just as well as a FWD or RWD car in the snow. It's all about the tires (and obviously your speed).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #63
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513
That is one killer photoshoot.
Right?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #64
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Staggered winter setup for the win. (Well, unless those are fronts+spacer they have on the back)

Pics like this always make me smile. Bookmark this thread for when the winter driving debates come up - they always do.
Awesome photos.

Snow tires for the win.

A staggered setup may be optimal for winter hooliganism, but to ride safely you'd want a square setup with the most narrow tires possible (less surface area and thus the narrower tires tend to ride on top of the snow whereas wide tires sink down and plow through it, which is not good).
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #65
Audifan
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i Xi M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
From the BMW Driving Experience facebook page: "Hello BMW M4! The new star of the BMW Driving Experience takes up its duty."

The M4 Coupe arrives for duty at the BMW Snow and Ice Training school in Slden, Austria.

Attachment 974539

Attachment 974540

Attachment 974541

Attachment 974542

Attachment 974543

Attachment 974544

Attachment 974545

Attachment 974546

Attachment 974547

Attachment 974548

Attachment 974549
Hi Jason, what winter/snow tires were used for the M4? Thanks!
2007 VW GTi
2000 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #66
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
Hi Jason, what winter/snow tires were used for the M4? Thanks!
I had the same question, I current have blizzaks on mine and they are loud but amazing in wet/snow.
Appreciate 0