ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #67
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Don't know why the credibility of the BMW employee is in such question...actually the statement makes complete sense. Remember the reviewers on 5th Gear having issues with the M5 (think it was Vicki) with respect to throttle modulation and sudden oversteer. My own experiences driving the 1M vs the M3 made the non-linearity of power delivery very apparent. That's the downside of having a torque-monster.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #68
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Don't know why the credibility of the BMW employee is in such question...actually the statement makes complete sense. Remember the reviewers on 5th Gear having issues with the M5 (think it was Vicki) with respect to throttle modulation and sudden oversteer. My own experiences driving the 1M vs the M3 made the non-linearity of power delivery very apparent. That's the downside of having a torque-monster.
I agree.

I've heard from several people that have driven the F10 M5 that it is less forgiving that prior M5s. To me, that's an awesome attribute in an era where some cars literally drive themselves.

Makes the wait to drive the F80 unbearable.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #69
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Yeah I wish BMW did something similar to what AMG does. Whenever you purchase or lease a new AMG, you get one free trip to an AMG Driving Academy track session of your choosing. Laguna Seca and the Circuit of the Americas are just a few of the track choices available.
I got a free driving school in South Carolina for my recent 335 lease (this past May). I used it as a $750 credit to do a 1 day M school (they even let me use the 15% CCA discount on the balance). Will be doing it in June. Hope the F80 is available by then so I can report back....

One other aspect that hasn't been discussed is how the "sport+" mode makes the throttle pretty non linear (i.e. small pedal motion = big throttle opening). I think N54 folks who have tried Cobb "linear throttle" vs. "stock throttle" maps will know what I'm talking about.

Hopefully with the F80 there will not be any of these tricks, and that the gas pedal will be programmed to be linear.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #70
RaddM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 & 991 GT3

I'm sure it will be easier to drive than a FBO 335i on meth or e85. Take the traction control off that and it will punish some people.

This is coming from someone who wrecked their FBO 335i and 11' M3 within one year. Leave the traction control on past 11:00 p.m haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #71
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I got a free driving school in South Carolina for my recent 335 lease (this past May). I used it as a $750 credit to do a 1 day M school (they even let me use the 15% CCA discount on the balance). Will be doing it in June. Hope the F80 is available by then so I can report back....

One other aspect that hasn't been discussed is how the "sport+" mode makes the throttle pretty non linear (i.e. small pedal motion = big throttle opening). I think N54 folks who have tried Cobb "linear throttle" vs. "stock throttle" maps will know what I'm talking about.

Hopefully with the F80 there will not be any of these tricks, and that the gas pedal will be programmed to be linear.

The E9X M3's Sport+ received the same sort of criticism, so let's be fair here. It just takes some adjusting to. Once adjusted it is fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #72
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

I can't wait to drive one !
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #73
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup
In sports+ the instant rush of torque due to the turbines constantly spinning could lead to trouble. Disable dsc and DTc and u might find a few f8x at the bottom of cliffs

You mean like e46s?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #74
The_M_Way
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I really enjoyed the ease of the e92 M3...(really shoulda just bought it that day...but the frozen silver seemed like a real hassle). But...I think most enthusiast drivers will adapt quickly to the intricacies of the throttle. When I heard this comment, I thought of the time I let my ex-wife drive the M3 and experiencing the jostling of the car as she pulled off the gas quickly like the SMG was an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #75
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

The E9X M3's Sport+ received the same sort of criticism, so let's be fair here. It just takes some adjusting to. Once adjusted it is fine.
Damn first they put our car down. And now the driver?!

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #76
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

I heard that the best way to drive is to smash the throttle. Basically your pedal should be fully on the throttle or not at all. Like an on/off switch. Seems the new m3/4 is not designed for this time-honored driving style.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #77
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3
They did a drift session in the m6 and it was the same due to lack of throttle response and torque.

Its unintuitive, get on gas before you need it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #78
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

I love challenging cars, they make you drive better.

Or do they?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #79
iPhone vs Android
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I disagree, my ZCP in sport+ is pretty linear.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #80
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Refreshing.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...?src=soc_fcbks

"M3/M4: Sloppy drivers need not apply

[Overheard at the Detroit auto show:]

'The M3/M4 won’t tolerate sloppy throttle inputs. It’s without a doubt the highest-performance road car M has built, but it also requires a LOT of talent to drive ... at least BMW has a network of driver’s schools to help there, starting with the teen driving program up through the BMW CCA race schools.'"

- A BMW employee who’s driven the new M3

hmmmm....wonder what BMW employees do at auto shows? Oh wait I know, they are working. This statement is nothing else but just a part of the marketing campaign.

NOT TRYING to take anything from gorgeous cars that M4/M3s are, but if previous Vipers were drivable so will be the new M.
      01-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #81
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone vs Android View Post
I disagree, my ZCP in sport+ is pretty linear.
Disagree with what exactly? What I stated is a fact (..regarding the criticism, not your personal opinions/observations of the mode). I've defended the E9X multiple times against people ranting about the jerky, anxious nature of Sport+. Hell, even the journalists didn't care for Sport+, and all of the best lap times were achieved in Normal. So, disagree if you like, but fact is fact.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #82
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
I think all companies that sell performance cars today should include a complimentary driving school.
People could have common sense and avoid high performance cars unless they have already learned how to drive through years of track experience.

Driving a fast car slow isn't any fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #83
iPhone vs Android
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Disagree with what exactly? What I stated is a fact (..regarding the criticism, not your personal opinions/observations of the mode). I've defended the E9X multiple times against people ranting about the jerky, anxious nature of Sport+. Hell, even the journalists didn't care for Sport+, and all of the best lap times were achieved in Normal. So, disagree if you like, but fact is fact.
My car does exhibit linear throttle response in Sport+ mode, I don't know what else to say.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #84
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone vs Android View Post
My car does exhibit linear throttle response in Sport+ mode, I don't know what else to say.
I'm not disagreeing with you; I personally prefer Sport+ myself. My comment wasn't based on your opinion nor mine. It was in reference to critics, the opinions of other owners, and magazine reviews.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #85
InterJon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w View Post
Everyone likes the idea of lighter cars, but lighter cars spin more easily. They spin less spectacularly than if you lose a heavy car, but they spin more often. Audi has a good thing going where I can be full throttle at the apex because of the quattro and the active sports differential. Try that in an M3 and you're going backwards into a wall.

One of the safer cars I've ridden in at the track is the Audi A3 VR6, which is basically a front wheel drive car with an open diff (and some haldex AWD that occasionally sends power to the rear). It basically slipped through every turn. You could be full throttle every turn and it would just slip a wheel if you sent too much torque down.
You sir are doing it wrong. Sure you are in the right forums?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #86
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
People could have common sense and avoid high performance cars unless they have already learned how to drive through years of track experience.

Driving a fast car slow isn't any fun.
Years?

Just lol.

Some of you guys are delusional when it comes to these cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #87
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
Years?

Just lol.

Some of you guys are delusional when it comes to these cars.
You can't possibly come close to the limit of ANY modern performance car without years of experience.

Performance cars have been improving by leaps and bounds, while the general populace still has no idea how to drive. Unless one has honed his skills in a controlled environment, he has no idea how to drive whatsoever.

"Spirited" street driving simply does not compare.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #88
iPhone vs Android
Banned
Rep

I have read so many times (most of them were in fact in this forum) where people turned off DSC in their M3s and ended up kissing the pavement. One guy went as far as getting all of his springs and suspension replaced and another had frame damage. Point is, these cars are not meant to be driven at their maximum potential (I'd even say not even half their maximum potential) by standard people who have no track experience.
Appreciate 0