proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

04-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #45
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Looks great OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Putting a sticker on your car to try and fool people into thinking its carbon fibre when its not is lame.
I am pretty sure he did it for himself not to fool people...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #46
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

I'm digging that 997 Turbo in the garage

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #47
m4bpro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdabest1 View Post
I think it looks great ! I wana do it to my 235i , how much do I need just for the roof ? 5 feet by 5 or 5 ft by 10 ?
I ordered 5 x 10 which was enough to cover the roof, side mirrors, and diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:03 PM   #48
m4bpro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I don't have anything against vinyl wraps.

Let me try and explain - carbon fiber is cool because its light and strong. Its cool for what it is. Putting a sticker on your car to try and fool people into thinking its carbon fibre when its not is lame. While its not the same (or as bad) as putting an M badge on a 328 it certainly in the same realm of that. You're trying to trick people into thinking the car is something its not, and for what purpose?

Seriously its like wearing a fake Vacheron while wearing a real Tom Ford suit. Lame.

The OP posted pictures because he wanted opinions and feedback. I like the car, I like the colour, but putting stickers on it to make things look like carbon fibre when its not is a horrible mistake. Brutal.

Sich übergeben!!
Hello Sassicaia. I respect your opinion and I appreciate honesty. I knew when I did this that there will be some people that won't agree but that's ok. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm glad you shared yours because it opens up discussion or argument which can be be both healthy or disruptive to a topic. But that's good right? That's what forums are for so I'm cool with it As I mentioned on my original post, I really needed my moonroof but my wife and I both agree that the carbon roof also enhances the exterior of the car. My only option is to wrap and yes, I could've gone gloss black and call it a day. But when I found this wrap and saw the quality, I really liked it. Yes, it does look like real carbon and it's actually hard to tell but I always tell people it's only a wrap as I shared here. I would never tell people it's real carbon but when they see it, they like how it looks and give compliments just as some people did here. It's just the things we do to enhance the look of our cars and sometimes it's always not just about performance. It's like dressing up for work or going to a party, most of the time you can't tell the brand of clothes that people wear but at the end of the day, if they look good...they look good.

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 3
      04-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #49
m4bpro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshab356 View Post
I'm digging that 997 Turbo in the garage
Haha! Thanks, it's the little big brother
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #50
m4bpro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraycanmansam View Post
Do you have the carbon fibre interior pieces? Just wondering how the finish compares to the real deal?
Yes I do have the interior carbon pieces and it looks a little different. The interior carbon is more showy while the wrap is a little mild. There was actually a Maserati getting a full body wrap (matte white) at the same shop where they installed my roof wrap and it had "real" carbon covers for side mirrors. He saw mine and he actually said he couldn't tell the difference between his carbon mirrors and mine It looks identical.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #51
m4bpro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyjb View Post
Can you please tell me a little bit more about the painting? My AY arrives in a month, and this looks like something I will want to do.

thanks!
I painted the "shark" antennae and the roof side inserts gloss black which goes well with the wrap. Most paint shops can do this and your wrap installer can remove the pieces. It needs to be done anyway so the wrap can be tucked in nicely.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #52
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4bpro View Post
Hello Sassicaia. I respect your opinion and I appreciate honesty. I knew when I did this that there will be some people that won't agree but that's ok. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm glad you shared yours because it opens up discussion or argument which can be be both healthy or disruptive to a topic. But that's good right? That's what forums are for so I'm cool with it As I mentioned on my original post, I really needed my moonroof but my wife and I both agree that the carbon roof also enhances the exterior of the car. My only option is to wrap and yes, I could've gone gloss black and call it a day. But when I found this wrap and saw the quality, I really liked it. Yes, it does look like real carbon and it's actually hard to tell but I always tell people it's only a wrap as I shared here. I would never tell people it's real carbon but when they see it, they like how it looks and give compliments just as some people did here. It's just the things we do to enhance the look of our cars and sometimes it's always not just about performance. It's like dressing up for work or going to a party, most of the time you can't tell the brand of clothes that people wear but at the end of the day, if they look good...they look good.

Just my 2 cents
Dont get me wrong your taste in cars (and colour) is impeccable, and puts you in the top 1% of the world for taste IMO. Im not picking, but at the same time calling it like it is (i was born without a filter). I get why you did it, and while the carbon fibre roof looks better then the moon roof, there is nothing to be ashamed of with the moon roof option, and with your paint still looks awesome on its own.

Im having a similar issue with my wife. She is letting me spec the car out the way I want (CF roof), but I KNOW she wants the moon roof. She doesnt know its an option. If I ask her opinion she will want it, and if I dont I can just apologize later. CF roof with moon roof would be best of both worlds.

You posted it and clearly it seems more people agree with your choice over mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #53
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
I painted the "shark" antennae and the roof side inserts gloss black which goes well with the wrap. Most paint shops can do this and your wrap installer can remove the pieces. It needs to be done anyway so the wrap can be tucked in nicely.
I think it looks great and thanks for sharing the info on the material. There are many more of us who love the CF look but also need the sunroof. Too bad BMW couldn't offer a combo with both. I may go this route as I use my sunroof almost daily and cannot imagine not having one though I am trying to get used to it since the i3 we just got doesn't have it either. It does have the CFRP roof tho lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 05:26 AM   #54
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

I'm amazed by how good it looks, never thought that could be done with a wrap!

Quote:
Of course its a design element as well, but only when its real does it warrant the element of design.

My cigar humidor is CF, certainly not for performance reasons, but purely because it looks good. That said "faking" it is just that: faking. No difference then fake gold, or a fake Monte Blanc pen.

Maybe im in the minority here, but there is no reason to fake it, and to me faking something says more then the effect its trying to achieve.
I think he had a perfectly good reason to "fake" it since his wife really wanted the CF roof. That's about the best reason you could get

I understand where you're coming from even though I don't agree with you. I see this as just another wrap, doesn't matter if it looks like CF or pink velvet. If he's upfront about it (which he certainly is) then I see no problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #55
azula
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:
You know what they say, happy wife means happy life
RIO 2. Anyone in here with a Child will know what I'm talking about. LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #56
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

looks great! don't let the naysayers mess with you.

Great compromise of having a moon room and the cf look together!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #57
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Looks great!!! Nice solution and ignore the haters
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #58
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

I'd probably do this if I like moon roof, but my fiance belongs to the type that never wants any sun on her face lol.. so carbon roof for me.
      04-30-2015, 11:14 PM   #59
m4bpro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys! I was a little worried waiting for the wrap because I've never seen one in person. After I saw it on my car, I couldn't believe how nice it turned out to be. I wish you guys could see it in person because it's definitely better than the pictures. I continue to get compliments from people that see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:29 AM   #60
bimmerking818
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4bpro
Thanks guys! I was a little worried waiting for the wrap because I've never seen one in person. After I saw it on my car, I couldn't believe how nice it turned out to be. I wish you guys could see it in person because it's definitely better than the pictures. I continue to get compliments from people that see it.
Hey brother can u plz give me the exact name of the wrap? bc I would like to order some for myself also if u don't mind of course?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:44 AM   #61
m4bpro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerking818 View Post
Hey brother can u plz give me the exact name of the wrap? bc I would like to order some for myself also if u don't mind of course?
It's called XPO Tech Art Gloss Carbon Fiber (Gloss Black color) and it's made my Vvivid.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:46 AM   #62
bimmerking818
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's called XPO Tech Art Gloss Carbon Fiber (Gloss Black color) and it's made my Vvivid.
Thx brother
Is 5 by 5 enough for the roof?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:59 AM   #63
m4bpro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thx brother
I'm not sure. I ordered 5x10 which was enough for the roof, side mirrors, and diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 01:12 AM   #64
bimmerking818
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thx brother
I'm not sure. I ordered 5x10 which was enough for the roof, side mirrors, and diffuser.
Thx for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #65
bill1718
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i ///Msport

like that porsche in the garage
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #66
idocm4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F82

Man if I didn't already wrap my mirrors with XPEL, I would have definitely wrap them in this. Looking good OP!
Appreciate 0