Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #67
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
My 2016 started doing this ... but only after my XM Trial went out... didn't have XM for a couple months. When I restored service, it began.

Leads me the believe it's XM and/or the antenna.

Annoying as fuck.
Yes, I know this thread is essentially 18 months old, recently resurrected by a post that had nothing to do with the topic, but as everyone is pointing to 2016 cars and satellite, I would point out these were the very first radios with a XM Chipset instead of the Sirius Chipset that had been used up through 2015.

Also, was 2016 the first year of NBT-EVO?

And didn’t they increase memory size in 2017 units?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 04:42 AM   #68
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Your issue has nothing to do with the issue in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk820911 View Post
Just got a diagnosis on my 2008 335i with HK from Southbay BMW in Los Angeles:

Water damage to ULF module. Verified satellite radio cutting off. Inspected satellite radio and TCU module and found ULF module that sits under the TCU, to be corroded. REcommend replacing UFL module and cleaning necessary connectors.

Price = $2,200.

So far as to say, I'm not paying that much and am going to look at service outside of BMW. Supporting photos they provided below.

Here were my symptoms:
  • Satellite Radio - Sound cuts out every 5 minutes or so lasting about 30 seconds with loud popping and crackling noises. Then resumes playing. Crackling only occurs when there is no music.
  • iPhone Music through USB - Satellite radio - Sound cuts out every 15 minutes or so lasting about 30 seconds with loud popping and crackling noises. Then resumes playing. The onscreen song data would also disappear.
  • Phone calls with Bluetooth - Satellite radio - Sound cuts out every 15 minutes or so lasting about 5 seconds with no noises. Then resumes phone call.
  • AM/FM - No effect.

Attachment 1754791

Attachment 1754792

Attachment 1754793

Attachment 1754794
Man. Harsh.

It's still good info for us to have. It's not that far off topic, barely really.

What happens if his symptoms start with some newer cars. Due to his info we will will have an idea where to start. That's what forums are for.

Information.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #69
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

The separate Sat tuner module -shown in this post- disappeared with the introduction of the NBT unit. Which means that if you try to check a module that is not there will waste your time. It is completely out of topic. All F8x regardless of model year have NBT units. This is an F8x forum.

Instead of telling us how you feel about an answer to a technical issue, what about pointing out and discussing that the solution of this issue is in fact in post #46? That is a well researched, proven solution that fully applies to the F8x however it has not been given as much attention as it deserves.

Quote:
Man. Harsh.

It's still good info for us to have. It's not that far off topic, barely really.

What happens if his symptoms start with some newer cars. Due to his info we will will have an idea where to start. That's what forums are for.

Information.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #70
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The separate Sat tuner module -shown in this post- disappeared with the introduction of the NBT unit. Which means that if you try to check a module that is not there will waste your time. It is completely out of topic. All F8x regardless of model year have NBT units. This is an F8x forum.

Instead of telling us how you feel about an answer to a technical issue, what about pointing out and discussing that the solution of this issue is in fact in post #46? That is a well researched, proven solution that fully applies to the F8x however it has not been given as much attention as it deserves.

Quote:
Man. Harsh.

Information.
Why didn't you point that, out as opposed to laying into someone that is new here?

He was trying to be helpful.

You were just bashing him.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #71
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

"Harsh". "Bashing". Do you always demand of others to write what you want to read?

Nothing that you "feel" changes the fact that the post has nothing to do with this issue.

Quote:
Why didn't you point that, out as opposed to laying into someone that is new here?

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #72
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"Harsh". "Bashing". Do you always demand of others to write what you want to read?

Nothing that you "feel" changes the fact that the post has nothing to do with this issue.

Quote:

You're an idiot.

Your reply to his post was because it wasn't something YOU wanted read about.

Otherwise you wouldn't have posted it in the first place.

Is turn-a-round not fair play where you come from?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #73
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Post 46 totally ignores reports of this ONLY happening while listening to Satellite Radio, unless one believes the Speaker Cover has a conscious awareness of Audio Source material.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #74
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So far in this thread the common issue is rattle/crackling from the mids and only from SiriusXM. Replacing OEM amp or mids seems not a definitive solution. The thing is that 1) SiriusXM compression scheme boosts bass and mid-bass compared to other sources. 2) Rattle/crackle comes from door speakers 3) Door speakers are mid-bass. 4) Tightening the door grills solved the rattles in one member’s car.

Any bassy source will rattle any loose grill. Try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Post 46 totally ignores reports of this ONLY happening while listening to Satellite Radio, unless one believes the Speaker Cover has a conscious awareness of Audio Source material.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #75
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So far in this thread the common issue is rattle/crackling from the mids and only from SiriusXM. Replacing OEM amp or mids seems not a definitive solution. The thing is that 1) SiriusXM compression scheme boosts bass and mid-bass compared to other sources. 2) Rattle/crackle comes from door speakers 3) Door speakers are mid-bass. 4) Tightening the door grills solved the rattles in one member’s car.

Any bassy source will rattle any loose grill. Try it.
Sirius and XM use completely different codecs....and quite frankly, neither is that good. Both are 20+ years old with the Sirius codec over 25+ years old...developed pre World Wide Web, which is why XM chipsets are better.

Regardless, nothing you noted would cause static in SiriusXM Source only.

Again, I point out 2016 was first year of Switch from Sirius Chipset to XM Chipset in BMW. I also believe it was first year of NBT EVO and has a smaller Memory Chip than the 2017 models.

I would point to those 2 things are far more likely than a loose speaker cover that knows your are listening to Satellite.

Unless you have a tin foil hat on.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #76
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Compare the bass/mid-bass response of Sat Radio with any other source, same song, same EQ settings, OEM or aftermarket. The bass boost is there. Is this from the chipset? As long as I remember, Sirius always has been using some bass boost at around 300Hz, so even voices sound deeper than other sources. However, a loose grill will rattle with tight bass/midbass regardless of source, chipset, time of day, whatever you want. And if you have one particular source with more bass than the other then it could rattle more with that particular source if a grill is loose.

There is a solution in this thread. That is a member detailed contribution with the same car, something that I respect much more than personal responses with feelings and shit. Either use it or keep wondering what is wrong and doing nothing. If the grille is not loose then go back to the first post in this thread and add more pages or keep going to the dealer until they get it right. Simple. No tin hat required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Sirius and XM use completely different codecs....and quite frankly, neither is that good. Both are 20+ years old with the Sirius codec over 25+ years old...developed pre World Wide Web, which is why XM chipsets are better.

Regardless, nothing you noted would cause static in SiriusXM Source only.

Again, I point out 2016 was first year of Switch from Sirius Chipset to XM Chipset in BMW. I also believe it was first year of NBT EVO and has a smaller Memory Chip than the 2017 models.

I would point to those 2 things are far more likely than a loose speaker cover that knows your are listening to Satellite.

Unless you have a tin foil hat on.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 10:24 PM   #77
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Compare the bass/mid-bass response of Sat Radio with any other source, same song, same EQ settings, OEM or aftermarket. The bass boost is there. Is this from the chipset? As long as I remember, Sirius always has been using some bass boost at around 300Hz, so even voices sound deeper than other sources. However, a loose grill will rattle with tight bass/midbass regardless of source, chipset, time of day, whatever you want. And if you have one particular source with more bass than the other then it could rattle more with that particular source if a grill is loose.

There is a solution in this thread. That is a member detailed contribution with the same car, something that I respect much more than personal responses with feelings and shit. Either use it or keep wondering what is wrong and doing nothing. If the grille is not loose then go back to the first post in this thread and add more pages or keep going to the dealer until they get it right. Simple. No tin hat required.
Third attempt.

The 2016 cars in question do not have Sirius Chipsets in them.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 05:12 AM   #78
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

For what it's worth, and seems pointless based on the opinions here, but here goes.

My issue ONLY began when my Satellite subscription ran out. I chose not to renew it for a couple months. When it renewed, that same day, it started.

No bullshit.

This car is my DD, and I listened to Sat. Radio daily prior to free period ending. So, yes I am sure it only began after the renewal.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #79
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For what it's worth, and seems pointless based on the opinions here, but here goes.

My issue ONLY began when my Satellite subscription ran out. I chose not to renew it for a couple months. When it renewed, that same day, it started.

No bullshit.

This car is my DD, and I listened to Sat. Radio daily prior to free period ending. So, yes I am sure it only began after the renewal.
Well, like your cable box, Directv, Dish etc, the unit is constantly sent authorization codes in the stream every day or so. This happens constantly as your car might be turned off when authorization is sent.

There are drop dead points that unit must receive a new authorization code or it drops the authorization until a new one is finally received.

When you resubscribe, they simply send out an authorization code, no different than your car had received hundreds of times in the past.

So there is nothing different to account for what you are describing.

BTW, I am not saying that you did not start noticing it after the resubscription, but ancient Romans were sure the sun rose every morning because Apollo pulled it across the sky behind his chariot.

The sun did indeed rise every morning, just not for the reasons they thought.
Appreciate 0