Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

01-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #23
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
I had the same thought on wheels, but stuck dark and got the dark kidney grill surrounds from iND (along with front reflector covers). This sets up a general blue/black (with mild chrome) contrast which actually works very nicely (roof is black/carbon, body is blue, most accents black). A bit of aggression/dark menace which then contrasts with my SS interior. (but I kept up the contrast theme with the individual piano black trim interior - agree that the aluminum is not the best)
The interior is Silverstone, which I like, but I want a bit of contrast on the outside. Hence my preference for the lighter wheels and keeping the chrome surround around the grill.

I appreciate the blue/black aggressive look - but it is not for me as a daily driver. I think part of the problem is the limited supply of Tanzanite images on the web ... only a few to choose from, and the ones from the UK are so dark and glum looking.

My old E92 had a similar look and feel to it (but with silver wheels), so I am just not sure I want to "duplicate" this combo.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #24
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
That is why it is not a dealbreaker ... just someone thing I have become accustomed to in my current car. Rather than hunting for road signs, I can just look in my HUD and see the current speed. I would say for me, it has been 99% accurate. It misses the odd sign here and there, but definitely a feature I use more than I thought I would.

I agree, that most of the time I travel with the speed of traffic, but when the roads are more empty, that is when you have to keep an eye on your speed, and I am sure it is easier to get going faster than you should in an M car.
Oh yeah.

In this car it is crazy easy to look down and say 'oh my, am I really going that fast already????'

The HUD is a must here.

Quote:
The interior is Silverstone, which I like, but I want a bit of contrast on the outside. Hence my preference for the lighter wheels and keeping the chrome surround around the grill.

I appreciate the blue/black aggressive look - but it is not for me as a daily driver. I think part of the problem is the limited supply of Tanzanite images on the web ... only a few to choose from, and the ones from the UK are so dark and glum looking.

My old E92 had a similar look and feel to it (but with silver wheels), so I am just not sure I want to "duplicate" this combo.
Very nice looking ride.

I put up some (terrible) TB photos here - sunny, just shitty photography. Obviously I blame the equipment.....(more accurately: rushing the pictures as I wanted to drive!)

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1071097

(other than the post-train photos, they all have the winter wheels on, which are still dark (BBM SRs in graphite))

But, yeah, a TB/Chrome contrast would work too. All good choices!
      01-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #25
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
They have the same config in both coupe and convertible format ... just not sure I want to spend the extra on the convertible and lose some performance at the same time.
Quote:
For most of the driving most people here do, the performance loss with the 'vert will be pretty minimal. If you were into serious tracking/racing, I would think it is a bigger issue.....but ask someone like GrussGott who drives his 'verts hard in NoCal - I don't think he minds the extra few pounds and in nice weather.........
On the convertible ... I was never a convertible guy until I got my E93 3 years ago in MN ... it was one of those weird fuckit times we get in our lives.

Whether you'd like it or not depends on a few things IMO:

(1.) True track use. How often do you go? If it's twice a month a vert is insane. If it's a few times a year or never (like me) then who cares.

(2.) Canyon use. Again, how often? For me it's about 80%. I can tell you the F83 has improved my runs by a LOT. I'm competitive with most people out there now whereas I used to be middle of the pack in my E93. Not sure exactly why yet, but chassis-wise you can carve with the best of them. I go every week, sometimes twice, and ... sun, redwoods, ocean, the smell of rubber and motor oil? It's a little bit of ok. Talk about a stress reliever!

(3.) Self-identity. If being a hard-core performance guy is part of your self identity then a 'vert is a stupid choice. It used to be for me, but then I got to the fuckit point and was stuck with the vert for 3 years. Now I can't imagine not having a convertible. I may add a track car in the future when I have the time to go weekly, but if I can afford it, from now on, I'll always want a 'vert.

Net-net. Yeah, there's miniscule performance loss in a vert. But you gain top-down action anytime you want and also with a hard top, quiet and comfort when you want.

I can't totally say that I'd get a 435 vert over an M3/4 ... but luckily I don't have to make that choice so far!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #26
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
(1.) True track use. How often do you go? If it's twice a month a vert is insane. If it's a few times a year or never (like me) then who cares.

(2.) Canyon use. Again, how often? For me it's about 80%. I can tell you the F83 has improved my runs by a LOT. I'm competitive with most people out there now whereas I used to be middle of the pack in my E93. Not sure exactly why yet, but chassis-wise you can carve with the best of them. I go every week, sometimes twice, and ... sun, redwoods, ocean, the smell of rubber and motor oil? It's a little bit of ok. Talk about a stress reliever!

(3.) Self-identity. If being a hard-core performance guy is part of your self identity then a 'vert is a stupid choice. It used to be for me, but then I got to the fuckit point and was stuck with the vert for 3 years. Now I can't imagine not having a convertible. I may add a track car in the future when I have the time to go weekly, but if I can afford it, from now on, I'll always want a 'vert.
Honestly, #1 and #2 don't apply to me ... I'll never take it to a track, and really, there is nothing but straight boring suburb roads where I live.

#3 ... I think I am teetering on the edge. I like the performance side of things, but then I also wonder how it would be nice during the summer to be able to drive top-down. I think part of my hesitation with the convertible is the kids needing boosters in the back seats. Doesn't look so cool when you are riding around with two ugly coloured car seats in the back.

The coupe is also a little more practical for when I have to go to the rink with my hockey gear, and not to mention is about $10k more expensive.

I'm still on the fence, but I think with your post, I've realized driving is not all about the best 0-60 numbers.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #27
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I put up some (terrible) TB photos here - sunny, just shitty photography. Obviously I blame the equipment.....(more accurately: rushing the pictures as I wanted to drive!)

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1071097

(other than the post-train photos, they all have the winter wheels on, which are still dark (BBM SRs in graphite))

But, yeah, a TB/Chrome contrast would work too. All good choices!
As I said, I'll love it in the summer when it is clean, but the rest of the year, I'll just "blend in" with all the other dark cars around.

I think also part of my hesitation is the timing ... I'd need to take this vehicle immediately, which means that not only do I need to get winter tires and rims, but right after Xmas I've got a few bills to pay first.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #28
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
I think part of my hesitation with the convertible is the kids needing boosters in the back seats.
Putting those seats in with the top down is where it's at. Or loading in tires or whatever. Top goes down, stuff goes in, top goes back up. New exhaust? Fits just fine with the top down. Load-n-go

Quote:
Doesn't look so cool when you are riding around with two ugly coloured car seats in the back.
What the hell are you talking about??? That is THE coolest! Who's cooler, a dad with shit hidden in his coupe or a Dad with with two kids (and/or seats) in the back with top down? That's rock-n-roll.

No lie, I was cruising along the coast one day and decided to pull into a beach parking lot. Right up front was a sweet 458 so I parked next to it and busted out the DSLR to take some pics ... Dude had a kid seat in there! He took his kid out for a beach date in a Ferrari!

That's just baller.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #29
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: .

Hi guys, new to the forum here. I am strongly considering picking up a M4.

I have no experience with this car, so maybe you guys can explain the pros and the cons between the 6 speed manual and the DCT. I am not sure what one I would get.

Have any of you guys received a discounted price on your M3/M4? What dealership in the GTA is offering the best price?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #30
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overrated View Post
Hi guys, new to the forum here. I am strongly considering picking up a M4.

I have no experience with this car, so maybe you guys can explain the pros and the cons between the 6 speed manual and the DCT. I am not sure what one I would get.

Have any of you guys received a discounted price on your M3/M4? What dealership in the GTA is offering the best price?

Thanks
If you need a good deal on the M's call Javin (Sales Manager) and Jay Wong @ Endras BMW and tell them Farley told you to call them.

6spd MT- EXCITING, need skill to drive, it shows the girls(women) that you are the "MAN!", when upgrade turbos, easier and cheap to upgrade transmission then the DCT, you can hang with the other cool 6 spd "M" members

DCT- a little bit faster then the 6spd, no skill needed, you can leave it "D" when you get lazy(great in rush hour)

Either way which ever you pick, you will love it, and will not have buyer remorse!

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 10:10 PM   #31
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
If you need a good deal on the M's call Javin (Sales Manager) and Jay Wong @ Endras BMW and tell them Farley told you to call them.

6spd MT- EXCITING, need skill to drive, it shows the girls(women) that you are the "MAN!", when upgrade turbos, easier and cheap to upgrade transmission then the DCT, you can hang with the other cool 6 spd "M" members

DCT- a little bit faster then the 6spd, no skill needed, you can leave it "D" when you get lazy(great in rush hour)

Either way which ever you pick, you will love it, and will not have buyer remorse!
Sounds like you guys are really enjoying the new M's. I have owned manual and DCT cars so I am not sure what way to go if I decide to pick up the M4.

Are they really as loud as everyone says they are? I have not seen one running in person as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 12:03 AM   #32
redfox
INSTAGRAM: @yaasplease
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post

Few more points. DCT is a little bit faster if you are comparing to a 6MT with a pro driver. 6MT is lighter, about 30 lbs I believe, meaningful. DCT has launch control, which works wonders. DCT is 7 speed, one can argue a better utilization of the power band. However, given the flat power curve of the S55, I'm not sure that's the case. Hence, 6 speed versus 7 speed comparison in this case is not that valid IMO.
Appreciate 0