BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-27-2024, 01:41 AM   #1
f80bobs
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Comp vs non Comp

What differnece does the Competition pack make on the F80. I’m not talking about the different wheels, seats, and lower springs. I’d like to know the actual technical differences. There is a slight difference in the tune but how about coding in the steering? And other modules?
I’ve also heard that the sway bars are different, is that the only suspension difference? If so if it both front and rear? Or only front? Is there any other differneces?

Any info is appreciated, also finally maybe a little controversial question, can I retrofit a comp pack to a base model? I know it would cost lots of money and it’ll never be an original comp, but if I wanted to, what would I need to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 02:02 AM   #2
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Besides seats, wheels the springs, dampers and sway bars are all different.
I'm not sure about the steering but i think they upgraded the software for the diff too.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 04:47 AM   #3
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

This is from the sticky thread in this forum.

Summary:
Power output: 444 HP
0-60 DCT: 3.8 seconds (sedan/coupe), 4.1 seconds (convertible)
Tuned Adaptive M Suspension
New Springs
New Dampers
New Anti-Roll Bars
Reconfigured driving modes (Comfort, Sport and Sport+)
Reconfigured Active M Differential and DSC Dynamic Stability Control
Forged, machine-polished, weight-and rigidity-optimized, multi-spoke 20-inch M alloy wheels (front 9J ×20; rear10 J ×20) Mixed tires sizes (front: 265/30 R20, rear: 285/30 R20)
Special lightweight M sports seats
Seatbelts with woven-in BMW M stripes cap
M sports exhaust system with black chrome tailpipes
BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line exterior trim
High-gloss Black finish on the BMW kidney grille, the side gills and the model badge on the tail
$5500 for sedan/coupe, $5000 for convertible
      03-27-2024, 11:45 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I believe ZCP has its own steering, diff and edc tuning. Springs, dampers (same as cs but coded to zcp) and anti-sway bars are different as well as suspension tuning. Engine tuning is different and increases peak horsepower by 19 hp compared to base model. However, the peak torque was shifted to a higher rpm but I actually prefer the MY ‘15 & ‘16 torque curve - zcp and new base engine tuning feels a bit tamed to me. The 20”/20” wheel setup really impacts suspension ride quality. IMO, the 18” 513M base model wheels are the best looking and have the best ride quality. The cs 19”/20” 763M wheels are a close second. The zcp 666M, besides their effect on ride quality, also look overly complicated and extremely difficult to clean.

Many forum members have had the steering, diff, edc and dsc/mdm coded to cs/gts (except for edc which has to be cs). DCT software is usually upgraded to gts/cs.

I don’t believe there’s anything preventing you from converting a base model to one with zcp steering, diff, edc, dsc/mdm, seat belts with M tri-color stripes, suspension tuning, suspension hardware and engine tuning. Engine tuning requires an ecu tune but the “zcp” power level tune is not identical to BMW zcp engine power/tuning. Seats and updated elec items may not be possible and/or are prohibitively expensive. Converting a base model to a zcp may actually devalue the car and make it worth less than the original base. You’ll probably end up spending more money to convert a base model into a zcp than it would’ve cost you to buy a zcp model to begin with and have a real zcp that’s worth more as well.
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2024, 10:01 AM   #5
Boznien
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP (Avus Blue)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Instagram: @boznien
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 11:14 AM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boznien View Post
If no one has “read the thread” and you did, where’s your post with the correct response/missing info to the OP? I could’ve included subjective responses but that’s based more on opinion, not objectively quantifiable facts/measurements. If the OP had asked for owner’s experiences with base and zcp models then subjective responses are welcomed. I did give my opinion on the engine turning and the use of 20” front wheels; however, you can look at BMW’s official hp-torque curves for the base and zcp models and clearly see zcp peak torque has been shifted to a higher rpm. Also, differences in ride quality and performance between 19” and 20” wheels can be (and has been in other cases) quantified on the street and track. So again, how have we not “read the thread” and, because you are the only who’s “read the thread”, where are your responses to the OP’s questions?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 02:57 PM   #7
Boznien
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
If no one has “read the thread” and you did, where’s your post with the correct response/missing info to the OP? I could’ve included subjective responses but that’s based more on opinion, not objectively quantifiable facts/measurements. If the OP had asked for owner’s experiences with base and zcp models then subjective responses are welcomed. I did give my opinion on the engine turning and the use of 20” front wheels; however, you can look at BMW’s official hp-torque curves for the base and zcp models and clearly see zcp peak torque has been shifted to a higher rpm. Also, differences in ride quality and performance between 19” and 20” wheels can be (and has been in other cases) quantified on the street and track. So again, how have we not “read the thread” and, because you are the only who’s “read the thread”, where are your responses to the OP’s questions?
I understand where you're coming from but all of these questions from the OP could be found in existing threads or several Youtube videos comparing the two and many of which give their experiences with the ZCP package.

I did not mean to come off like a dick with the 'RTT' comment. This topic has been discussed countless times. I understand asking for the subjective side of ZCP or non-ZCP. But like I stated earlier, many threads and video cover this with opinions on it.

Is The Competition Package Worth It? BMW F8X M3/M4
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 03:11 PM   #8
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boznien View Post
I understand where you're coming from but all of these questions from the OP could be found in existing threads or several Youtube videos comparing the two and many of which give their experiences with the ZCP package.

I did not mean to come off like a dick with the 'RTT' comment. This topic has been discussed countless times. I understand asking for the subjective side of ZCP or non-ZCP. But like I stated earlier, many threads and video cover this with opinions on it.

Is The Competition Package Worth It? BMW F8X M3/M4
Ok. Miscommunication, all good! “read the thread” to me meant the forum members weren’t correctly reading the OP. I’m used to seeing this when someone is politely saying the answers are found in existing threads.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 03:55 PM   #9
Boznien
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Ok. Miscommunication, all good! “read the thread” to me meant the forum members weren’t correctly reading the OP. I’m used to seeing this when someone is politely saying the answers are found in existing threads.
Then I'll take the blame on that one. I misinterpreted the RTT emote. My apologies, OP.

My statements still stand though but with love.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 06:19 AM   #10
sheldons36
Rep
Drives: M4 F82

I'm not sure how the prices fair over in Canda/States but it wasn't too much extra here to pick up a comp pack of a base car in the UK, I got my M4 F82 a few months back.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:37 AM   #11
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Before buying my M4, I test drove a ZCP and Non-ZCP back to back. I didn’t think 5500 was worth an extra 19 HP, a chrome delete, a different suspension tune that I didn’t feel a difference, plus ugly 20 Inch Multispoke wheels that take forever to clean and a burble tube that goes pop pop pop. Remember, ZCP is an option, it’s not a trim.

Exec package makes the biggest difference IMO as it’s things you use daily such as HUD, 360 Camera, Automated Parallel parking, heated steering wheel, ICON headlights, and blind spot monitoring (this is a separate option). I didn’t want a Toyota Camry or Honda Civic to have more luxury features than my BMW lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:54 AM   #12
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Having owned both non zcp and zcp…it’s not even close. Do yourself a favor and make sure it has the zcp.
      04-04-2024, 11:00 AM   #13
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Honestly, I didn’t see much difference between the comp/non-comp models I’ve owned. The biggest difference was the OEM burble tune which is really pronounced with an MPE exhaust on the comp models. Otherwise, I don’t think I’d be able to tell the difference without knowing which car I was in.

CS model is where the clear difference was felt.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 08:06 PM   #14
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If you plan to mod just whatever you can get the best price on because you will change parts. Will echo above that exec package is great. Love the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:29 AM   #15
Vmohan5072
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:

Many forum members have had the steering, diff, edc and dsc/mdm coded to cs/gts (except for edc which has to be cs). DCT software is usually upgraded to gts/cs.

I don’t believe there’s anything preventing you from converting a base model to one with zcp steering, diff, edc, dsc/mdm, seat belts with M tri-color stripes, suspension tuning, suspension hardware and engine tuning.
Seats and cosmetics aside, if OP can't find a competition package in his budget, it is absolutely worth taking a base model and putting istep updates and GTS/CS flashes onto the car. For a low cost (free if you're able to scrape up the coding resources on this site) a lot of the jank on the base model is absolutely smoothed out and improved and thus the best parts of the competition are retained. Most of the rest of the comp package is just dress up

I'd just advise against touching the EDC coding with base dampers and sway bars. If OP can find a set of comp dampers and sway bars for cheap online, then sure, but otherwise stick with EPS DCT MDM and diff.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 04:50 AM   #16
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmohan5072 View Post
Seats and cosmetics aside, if OP can't find a competition package in his budget, it is absolutely worth taking a base model and putting istep updates and GTS/CS flashes onto the car. For a low cost (free if you're able to scrape up the coding resources on this site) a lot of the jank on the base model is absolutely smoothed out and improved and thus the best parts of the competition are retained. Most of the rest of the comp package is just dress up

I'd just advise against touching the EDC coding with base dampers and sway bars. If OP can find a set of comp dampers and sway bars for cheap online, then sure, but otherwise stick with EPS DCT MDM and diff.
Suspension hardware = zcp dampers + zcp ASBs

I did not say, nor recommended, to use zcp, cs or gts edc. I said a lot of forum members have coded to cs/gts and flashed to cs/gts dct.

I’m unaware of any threads that discuss in technical detail, not speculation, the actual differences in base dampers and zcp/cs dampers (mechanical or electromechanical). Is your recommendation of advising against using zcp/cs edc coding based on actual knowledge of incompatibility between base and zcp/cs dampers or is it your opinion? Do you have base edc damper dyno curves, base edc damper dyno curves on zcp/cs coding, and zcp/cs edc damper dyno curves that shows the base edc dampers on zcp/cs coding results in some crazy unstable damping curves or the base can’t match/achieve zcp/cs LS, MS or HS, or a combo of LS, MS and HS, damping? A lot of base owners say they notice an improvement in ride quality when running cs edc coding on their base edc dampers - are they all wrong?

Also, converting a base to zcp likely will devalue the car, or at a minimum reduce the number of potential buyers, because they don’t want a piecemeal “zcp”, they want a real zcp.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 05:59 PM   #17
Vmohan5072
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Apologies if that came off the wrong way and for putting my thoughts on your reply instead as a general comment on the thread. Started off just agreeing with your statement of people coding the cars and vouching for the effectiveness of the coding myself, but then went off on a tangent that should have just been a general comment instead of throwing it onto you haha.

In the end buying a zcp car will be much easier, but if he ends up with a base car for whatever reason, I suggested that stuff in the previous comment as a very cost effective and reversible way to improve the base feel.

Quote:
I’m unaware of any threads that discuss in technical detail, not speculation, the actual differences in base dampers and zcp/cs dampers (mechanical or electromechanical).
Racer20 had a thread of the damper curves on a damper dyno between the base and zcp dampers right here. There is a an improvement overall, with results attached.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1525983

Quote:
A lot of base owners say they notice an improvement in ride quality when running cs edc coding on their base edc dampers - are they all wrong?
They are not wrong with the ride quality. There's no doubt that CS EDC on base dampers makes the suspension softer and more compliant on the street. But there's absolutely a lot of people on here who do complain about the tradeoffs being too soft and floaty in sport/sport+ from the different dampers, lazier diving, and sloppier bodyroll when pushing the car hard. Going to ZCP dampers and ZCP rear bar (front bar is still base for the CS) and doing the CS EDC changes will give you the same improved softer ride quality in comfort but still have tighter body control and no floaty feeling in sport/sport+. But that's if they want to go through all that process at all, that's up for them to decide if it's worth or not, I probably shouldn't have been firm on the whole "I advise against" thing.

Regardless, he's free to try the CS EDC anyways on base dampers as well as the rest of the CS/GTS coding if he's already doing the rest of the coding, worst comes to worst it can just be undone just as easily as putting it on.

Quote:
Also, converting a base to zcp likely will devalue the car, or at a minimum reduce the number of potential buyers, because they don’t want a piecemeal “zcp”, they want a real zcp.
I agree with trying to piecemeal a ZCP will hurt values. Coding can always be reverted back to stock when ready to sell so that won't be an issue. In the end if he can afford a ZCP then it's best to do it, otherwise this is a worthwhile, cost effective, and reversible thing to try on a base.

Last edited by Vmohan5072; 04-05-2024 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0