GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Is Individual paint a scam?
Individual paint is a scam, BMW should offer more standard colors! 139 54.51%
Individual paint FTW, I need 50 shades of grey! 116 45.49%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

02-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #23
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Smile Choose Wisely

OP, I agree with you it is a bit nutz, but remember the choice is yours, not theirs. They just give you the option(s) to choose poorly.

If you have money to burn, or you are willing to pay, it's a non-issue. I.E. don't be mad people are getting soaked, they chose to accept the soaking. Looking at the aforementioned responses people are bothered by the manner in which the costs are manipulated. "Creepers are going to creep" and, well you get the idea...companies are going to profit how they see fit.

The good news is anyone can get a base model and modify the car at their leisure. Getting a $66,500 base model in lieu of the $85k car on the lot is a lot of mods, granted not OEM, but it will certainly be individual.

Luckily for me, I really did like the SSII, the lines pop and the car is just plain awesome.
      02-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #24
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I laughed.

It's funny to me because you can't deny it is difficult to trust them lately with the current marketing material, warranty/service policy, and product mix that are all over the place.

For example, that new X4 video just makes your skin crawl, right? Exactly what sort of mentality does it require to watch that and say - "Yeah, you nailed that BMW - solid choice for a promo!"? I feel like I have to do a few shots of Jaegermeister if I want to approach a BMW dealership. It's like a walk of shame now, LOL.

Anyway, to answer the OP, is BMW Individual itself shady? No. But as it applies to a strategy whereby they allegedly carefully rule out desirable colors from the past that could otherwise have been offered as standard because that they know will be popular a $3500 to $5000+ up-sell through Individual? Yeah, that's a bit sketchy. Shrewd business to be sure, but it does leave you feeling like they are trying to pull people into the dealership with a certain MSRP and then fleece the bejesus out of you with ridiculous option pricing.
My thought exactly. The program itself is a very good offering and options but not how they are deciding what components go under the program instead of offering them standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
BMW is artificially making colors that are not really that special, desirable through exclusivity. Yes, there are extreme colors that meet the "individual" purpose/intent, but many of the colors that are often drooled over on this site are fairly basic (that's where the "crazy pills" come in for me).

A color should be "individual" because of the inherent uniqueness of the color, not by making it exclusive through not offering it otherwise. Like my previous example, people wouldn't give two shits about SMB if any of the other similar blues was offered as standard.

Again, glad buyers have the option, and value is in the eyes of the beholder, but still shady business to artificially create demand like that.
Very true. I was telling my coworkers the other day about the program and what are being offered under the program. We were checking out those so called "Individual Paint" online and they were like wtf. Some of those "Individual Paint" are just not special enough but we know there are people who think they get a special product because they pay more for it than other people.

I think I read someone said gotta pay to play. Well BMW got you on that.

Rather or not they are worth it is another subject but certainly not to me.
Appreciate 1
stooker2752.50
      02-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #25
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
BMW is artificially making colors that are not really that special, desirable through exclusivity. Yes, there are extreme colors that meet the "individual" purpose/intent, but many of the colors that are often drooled over on this site are fairly basic (that's where the "crazy pills" come in for me).

A color should be "individual" because of the inherent uniqueness of the color, not by making it exclusive through not offering it otherwise. Like my previous example, people wouldn't give two shits about SMB if any of the other similar blues was offered as standard.

Again, glad buyers have the option, and value is in the eyes of the beholder, but still shady business to artificially create demand like that.
I don't think it's shady, they price it, you like it, you pay for it, if you don't you don't.

Yes it would better if we could choose any BMW colour for our M car but then we also expect a 10k discount in the UK and they have to make money somewhere, how much money they make is ultimately up to the consumer and the choices they make.
      02-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #26
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Rather, it’s a manufacturer’s upsell. With all of the options BMW offers, i don’t see how changing a paint can in an automated machine is an issue. All bs.
All the exteriors parts are painted by the parts suppliers , it’s not just the body. Door handles, mirrors, etc all come from suppliers, not painted at factory. That all has to be coordinated on special colors. It’s actually amazing given the logistics that they do it.
Appreciate 1
RowanBuds1707.00
      02-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #27
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
My thought exactly. The program itself is a very good offering and options but not how they are deciding what components go under the program instead of offering them standards.

Very true. I was telling my coworkers the other day about the program and what are being offered under the program. We were checking out those so called "Individual Paint" online and they were like wtf. Some of those "Individual Paint" are just not special enough but we know there are people who think they get a special product because they pay more for it than other people.

I think I read someone said gotta pay to play. Well BMW got you on that.

Rather or not they are worth it is another subject but certainly not to me.

It’s not about being special. It’s about getting a color you enjoy. It adds no value to the car, just to the owner.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #28
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Definitely Shady IMO. Only because I think the standard colors for the M3/M4 are lacking.

-No traditional blue. Blue is my favorite color on a car but not baby blue. Just not my bag.
-No traditional red. I happen to love SO but I know many people who wanted a standard red.
-Austin Yellow
-No lighter grey. I actually like Mineral Grey (owned it) but it hides a lot of the cars accents
Appreciate 3
      02-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #29
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

I'm on the same page as those saying some of the individual colors are not special and BMW is simply trying to squeeze the consumer for more money by offering a limited number of basic colors.

At the end of the day, it is up to the consumer to determine if paying $5k for the paint color they want is worth it (just like the hot topic re: whether or not the Comp pack is worth the $$$).

I didn't even consider going individual paint because it was not worth it to me (but did spec the car with the Comp pack bc I was willing to pay extra for what some here deem unworthy/a ripoff). Either way, BMW got an extra $5k out of my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #30
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam View Post
It’s not about being special. It’s about getting a color you enjoy. It adds no value to the car, just to the owner.
Most of these people who got extra cash to burn are trying to be the Special group and brag about the $5k paint they got. Believe it or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #31
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Perhaps, you lost track of my message. Being “soaked” was in reference to how the M3/4 are nearly a $90k car on most lots. These aren’t even individual orders. Retail psychology suggests that when people see a higher price, they assume it’s better with virtually minimal changes from the previous year. The notion that BMW will change course if “enough” people don’t buy it is laughable.
Yeah I guess I did lose track. I guess I didn't know what you meant by "soaked", but thought I had. Anyway, I buy stuff I like. If I think it's too high of a price, I decide if I like it enough to still buy it. I don't really give a lot of thought to if it's fair, or moral, or whatever. It's all about leverage. Do you want what a company is selling badly enough to pay their price? In some cases, (like an M car which BMW makes a lot of money on) yes. In other cases, (like having the latest iPhone every year) no. Even if I pay more than I want to for something, I have to remember that I don't set the price, at least not directly. I only decide if there's sufficient value to buy it. My opinion remains the same. BMW can charge whatever they want for whatever they want. We can choose to buy it or not buy it. If you think the company is deceptive, or intentionally puts colors noone wants on their standard color list, that's your right to think that way. It may even be true. I think they're selling more M cars than they ever so people either don't care about it or they are willing to overlook it.
Appreciate 1
ra2289303.50
      02-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #32
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
I'm on the same page as those saying some of the individual colors are not special and BMW is simply trying to squeeze the consumer for more money by offering a limited number of basic colors.

At the end of the day, it is up to the consumer to determine if paying $5k for the paint color they want is worth it (just like the hot topic re: whether or not the Comp pack is worth the $$$).

I didn't even consider going individual paint because it was not worth it to me (but did spec the car with the Comp pack bc I was willing to pay extra for what some here deem unworthy/a ripoff). Either way, BMW got an extra $5k out of my pocket.

Its the same as every other car company.
Go to the Porsche 911 page, just 7 colors. Mostly whites and blacks and greys. Anything else is extra.

Go to the Lexus LC page, same thing.

This is how its always been, manufacturers change their set of colors every year. When new gen Camaro first came out they had a cool blue/teal color, but it was gone the next year.

BMW has had different colors over different generations. These are the ones for F8x series, next gen we will probably see a whole new set. Look at the M2 which has a blue much nicer than the Yas Marina.

Its just nice you have an option as opposed to other manufactures where you don't.

Individual just means it not a standard color exterior or interior, not that its any better or has any status, it does not. Just customized to an owners liking.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #33
Treeboy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '22 X4 M40i / '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
'24 X5 M60i  [0.00]
'22 X4 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
It is standard practice for an auto maker to offer a half-dozen standard colors. It's a production issue and it doesn't really matter if another model offers a different color standard - that's a different production line and maybe even a different plant altogether.

We're probably lucky that the Individual program even exists. There are a whole lot of owners of other vehicles that would LOVE the privilege of paying extra for a unique color.
I get what you are saying. It makes perfect sense.

What I disagree with is that BMW (at least in Canada) limits buyer's standard color selections within the same model based on the package selected.

From very recent experience I am talking about F15 X5. I accept that to get M Sport specific color (like Carbon Black), you have to buy M Sport package and this unlocks the access to M Sport specific colors. That is marketing, got it. But why they will not allow us to get some of the standard X5 colors (like Imperial Blue) in connection with M Sport package, that I do not understand.

It might be different in US, but in Canada, if you want to order blue X5 35i with M Sport, you have to go through the Individual program. Unless you consider Carbon Black as a blue color.

It is wrong. I get that there is M aero kit and extended fender flares on M Sport body, compare to base model, but it is not like M Sport X5 is produced on different production lines in the factory than let's say Luxury Line.
To charge premium for Imperial Blue X5 35i M Sport over Imperial Blue X5 35i is a shady practice in my opinion. Not that I think that anyone would like Imperial Blue that much to go trough with it...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #34
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjam View Post
Its the same as every other car company.
Go to the Porsche 911 page, just 7 colors. Mostly whites and blacks and greys. Anything else is extra.

Go to the Lexus LC page, same thing.

This is how its always been, manufacturers change their set of colors every year. When new gen Camaro first came out they had a cool blue/teal color, but it was gone the next year.

BMW has had different colors over different generations. These are the ones for F8x series, next gen we will probably see a whole new set. Look at the M2 which has a blue much nicer than the Yas Marina.

Its just nice you have an option as opposed to other manufactures where you don't.

Individual just means it not a standard color exterior or interior, not that its any better or has any status, it does not. Just customized to an owners liking.
Eh, not sure what you’re talking about with the 911. I’m seeing 12 standard and metallic colors (metallic only $720 extra). Yes a lot are vanilla colors but it does includes red, yellow and two blues.

I’m also seeing four “special” colors and those are $3,150, to include Miami Blue and Lava Orange.

Seems like the 911 has way more choices than the F8x, before having to go custom, which is $6K+.

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i

Last edited by stooker; 02-15-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #35
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eh, not sure what you’re talking about with the 911. I’m seeing 12 standard and metallic colors (metallic only $720 extra). Yes a lot are vanilla colors but it does includes red, yellow and two blues.

I’m also seeing four “special” colors and those are $3,150, to include Miami Blue and Lava Orange.

Seems like the 911 has way more choices than the F8x.
I looked at the Carrara T, it’s only 7 and 2 special, which are extra. Which shows it’s the same way, it’s by model, not line, just like bmw.

The m has all those basic colors , just not in shades you may like

I think it’s wrong to call something shady, that makes it sound illegal or immoral. It’s not. Plus Porsche cost a lot more so you are still paying for it . Maybe even more actually when you compare similar options between an M and comparible model Porsche.

Sorry just don’t see it as shady.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2039.00
      02-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #36
ferrarifast
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 Comp xDrive Coupe

Shady is sneakily replacing the carbon fiber drive shaft with a steel one, while claiming nothing will be impacted. I wouldn't call a 5k paint to sample paint job as shady....
Life is too short to list the non Ms
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #37
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

It shouldn't be described as shady, more like sh*tty.

And simply because other car manufacturers do it doesn't make it ok. Just means they are all playing the same game.
Appreciate 1
dmk087316.00
      02-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #38
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I agree that it's a little shady. Mini, which is owned by BMW, offers 12 colors on Mini Cooper. Why can't BMW do the same on the M3/M4?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #39
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Those were the days when people could order an M3 in classic red or blue colors without paying extra for Individual!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 03:26 AM   #40
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

It’s all about automation and batches dude. Do a tour of the Munich factory sometime, they’ll even go into the one-off procedures for the individual process. IIRC, they were sprayed by actual humans instead of robots (it makes sense but my memory is foggy)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 04:24 AM   #41
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

YouTube “bmw individual paint”. It looks like humans and automation paints the car. Like i said, bs gimmick.

Last edited by 48Laws; 02-16-2018 at 04:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 05:03 AM   #42
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
It shouldn't be described as shady, more like sh*tty.

And simply because other car manufacturers do it doesn't make it ok. Just means they are all playing the same game.
Shady, shitty, sketchy, opportunistic, exploiting, manipulative, BOHICA... same difference to me. BMW is making extra money off of buyers that simply want a basic color.

I see this manipulation manifested when Individual cars go up for sale. How many sale threads do you see when the owner tries to recoup the cost of Individual features with the usual buzz words. It's hilarious to see ad descriptions like "Rare, 1 of 1!" or "First ever ordered in US!"... as if it raises the value of the car based on anything more than false exclusivity and emotion, likely not to be reciprocated by a prospective buyer.

Perhaps when the model run is complete and can no longer be ordered with Individual features, some of the real unique combos will command higher resale prices. However, from what I've seen on this site, those truly "Individual" cars are the exception and not the norm. Plus, by then you are battling depreciation... the F8x, while a great car, is not looking to be a "classic" in the M world, and I don't think custom colors that are really not that unique will help much at resale.

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 05:41 AM   #43
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
When you think of it, anything other than white is extra $ on an M3/4.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 05:44 AM   #44
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
When you think of it, anything other than white is extra $ on an M3/4.
Thats the same with a lot of cars. The problem is its $5000 to get a decent blue or red.
Appreciate 0