R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #23
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
C6 Z06 didn't have any special aero. I think you're thinking of the C7Z which does. C7Z probably wouldn't of completed a lap without overheating though.
I may be mistaken, but I thought the lap referenced, the 7:22 with the 2011 Z06 was done with the chassis/aero package which had aero, cup tires, etc. the point still remains the same though. Even without a significant aero advantage (which I still think it has based on the above) the Z06 was still lighter, and make significantly more power and torque, so the fact that on the same tires the GTS matches it only speaks to how fast it is. I never would have thought a car with 444 hp would be running low 7:20s on the Ring. That is a time most cars need ~600 hp to hit (except for Porsche and a few other random cars).
I actually think the new Z is fantastic. Buddy of mine has one and we swap cars every so often and it's an incredible car...issues aside.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #24
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
C6 Z06 didn't have any special aero. I think you're thinking of the C7Z which does. C7Z probably wouldn't of completed a lap without overheating though.
I may be mistaken, but I thought the lap referenced, the 7:22 with the 2011 Z06 was done with the chassis/aero package which had aero, cup tires, etc. the point still remains the same though. Even without a significant aero advantage (which I still think it has based on the above) the Z06 was still lighter, and make significantly more power and torque, so the fact that on the same tires the GTS matches it only speaks to how fast it is. I never would have thought a car with 444 hp would be running low 7:20s on the Ring. That is a time most cars need ~600 hp to hit (except for Porsche and a few other random cars).
I actually think the new Z is fantastic. Buddy of mine has one and we swap cars every so often and it's an incredible car...issues aside.
Yeah the new Z is incredible, I think it's still ranked first over all in Auto Bild's list of sports cars. It's the fastest car at their Sachsenring track (except the 918).

But the 911 GTS is seriously impressive indeed. Like you said, it's only 2 seconds off the 488's time (and others with far more power and supposedly good chassis), speaks volumes for Porsche's ability to tune a rear engine car.
Appreciate 0