Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

11-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #1233
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggal76 View Post
Yes, that worried me. How do I undo that coding?

I don't know where I went wrong. I downloaded the file from post 1211 titled "FDLCodes - FLE GFHB Only.xml.pdf", removed pdf extension, put file in the correct directory. I selected Almaretto as the author when I logged on.
I selected the # for the CAFD file associated with LFE modules and only the 4 cheat codes I mentioned before came up. None for F80. Where are the codes i need?
VO code FLE to restore to factory.

Except I am not the Author of that xml.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #1234
biggal76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP, 2007 Cayman S

To fix my incorrect coding, all I have to do is go back and hit code on the FLE 43 and 44 modules, right and recode FDL, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #1235
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
To fix my incorrect coding, all I have to do is go back and hit code on the FLE 43 and 44 modules, right and recode FDL, right?
Technically, you do not have to Code both FLE 43 and 44 because you are using same NCD to load to both. Make sure you re-read after VO coding and then FDL code.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #1236
biggal76
Enlisted Member
Rep

Had codes saved in the launcher directory, not in the FDLCodes folder in the launcher directory. It's all programmed now. Just tried it out. It seems to work as it should. Pretty cool.

One question for everyone: Since they are not legal in US and probably do look strange to oncoming traffic, is there a danger of being pulled over for them? Has that ever happened to anyone?

Also, I like to code to have the auto hibeams come on (and turn off) at lower speeds. Maybe range between 8-13mph instead of 18-23 as it is stock or maybe turn off the speedlock altogether. Anyone know the programming for that? I think I can probably find it but if someone knows how to do it, that would be helpful.

Thanks very much to Almaretto for your help. It was pretty hard for me as a newbie but I got it done.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #1237
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Had codes saved in the launcher directory, not in the FDLCodes folder in the launcher directory. It's all programmed now. Just tried it out. It seems to work as it should. Pretty cool.

One question for everyone: Since they are not legal in US and probably do look strange to oncoming traffic, is there a danger of being pulled over for them? Has that ever happened to anyone?

Also, I like to code to have the auto hibeams come on (and turn off) at lower speeds. Maybe range between 8-13mph instead of 18-23 as it is stock or maybe turn off the speedlock altogether. Anyone know the programming for that? I think I can probably find it but if someone knows how to do it, that would be helpful.

Thanks very much to Almaretto for your help. It was pretty hard for me as a newbie but I got it done.

There are limitations to system and it is still driver's responsibility to toggle off if it appears to be glaring other drivers. I have not heard of anyone being pulled over.

There are two thresholds. One for HBA (on/off) and another set for NGHB (tunneling); the ladder enables at 41 mph and continues above 38 mph. I do not recommend changing them, but they can be found in Fem_body and KAFAS.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #1238
biggal76
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post

There are two thresholds. One for HBA (on/off) and another set for NGHB (tunneling); the ladder enables at 41 mph and continues above 38 mph. I do not recommend changing them, but they can be found in Fem_body and KAFAS.
I was meaning changing speed settings for auto headlights in general (not necessarily the NGHB feature of them. Enables high beams at 23mph, off at 18. I live on a long 15 mph dirt road that's totally dark. I like having my highs on and would like to change the setting so they still are on unless I'm almost stopped. I understand that I can just turn them on manually, but if auto headlight is already turned on, it would be nice if it still worked on the dirt road. Anyone know where these settings are?

As far as anti-glare on at 41 off at 38, I think maybe on at 35, off at 32 would be better as there are plenty of long 2 lane 35mph roads.
I found 2 HBA settings that can be turned off and on in FEM_BODY. One is C_HBA_ENA adn the other C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA. I assume it's the latter that should be deactivated but will wait for advice on that. I cannot find anything NGHB in FEM_BODY or KAFAS. Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #1239
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was meaning changing speed settings for auto headlights in general (not necessarily the NGHB feature of them. Enables high beams at 23mph, off at 18. I live on a long 15 mph dirt road that's totally dark. I like having my highs on and would like to change the setting so they still are on unless I'm almost stopped. I understand that I can just turn them on manually, but if auto headlight is already turned on, it would be nice if it still worked on the dirt road. Anyone know where these settings are?

As far as anti-glare on at 41 off at 38, I think maybe on at 35, off at 32 would be better as there are plenty of long 2 lane 35mph roads.
I found 2 HBA settings that can be turned off and on in FEM_BODY. One is C_HBA_ENA adn the other C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA. I assume it's the latter that should be deactivated but will wait for advice on that. I cannot find anything NGHB in FEM_BODY or KAFAS. Any other ideas?
Settings are there, they just may not be obvious(ly named). You will not find them by searching NGHB.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #1240
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
VO code FLE to restore to factory.

Except I am not the Author of that xml.
Looks like he used an old version of my cheat codes which did not have an Author tag. See attached for the corrected version. To avoid confusion with earlier posts I've added "V2" to the file name.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FDLCodes - FLE GFHB Only -V2.xml.pdf (9.3 KB, 151 views)
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #1241
biggal76
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
Looks like he used an old version of my cheat codes which did not have an Author tag. See attached for the corrected version. To avoid confusion with earlier posts I've added "V2" to the file name.
I appreciate it but I've got it sorted out using the file Almaretto posted in post #1211. What is the difference between your file and that one? I could redo it if there is an advantage but would rather not. If anyone knows for sure the coding to change HBA speeds on and off or NGHB speeds, please share. I've got a few ideas to try next time I get a chance but if someone already knows, that would be great
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #1242
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

2018 F80/F82 GFHB Coding - "How To"

First put the attached XML file in the TokenMaster FDLcodes directory on your hard disk (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher Premium\FDLCodes) and remove the .PDF extension (file should have .XML extension).

To successfully code VLD and GFHB, follow the following steps:

1. Start E-Sys Launcher and select F080 Car Series.
2. Start the car (safer for coding and will prevent car shutting down in the middle of coding). Just make sure to not touch/code your DME ECU settings while the car is running.
3. Connect to your car, selecting F020 profile (TargetSelector: Project=F020_xxxxx, without “DIRECT”).
4. Select Coding view from Expert Mode menu.
5. Read FA from car.
6. Click on Save to save FA in a file on your hard disk (name it something like “FA - Factory Settings”).
7. Click Edit; display should change to FA-Editor, with SALAPA element in bottom left pane.
8. Drill into FA in top left pane, then into FZAuftrag and Type. Right-click SALAPA-Element and select Edit from the drop-down menu. Bottom left pane should populate with your current vehicle options.
9. In the bottom-left pane, remove the US headlight restrictions, i.e. 5AP (disable variable light distribution) and 8S4 (disable GFHB), then click the Apply Changes button in the top right of that same pane.
10. Save the edited FA as a new file, i.e. click File menu, Save As... and save to your hard disk (name it something like "FA - VLD and GFHB enabled").
11. To make sure you didn't make a mistake, right-click FA in the top left pane and select Calculate FP. Correct any errors. So far, all you've done is created a new FA file on your hard disk; no changes have been written to the car.
12. Select Expert Mode and click VCM.
13. In the bottom left pane, in the Vehicle Order panel, click ... and select the new FA file you just saved on your hard disk.
14. In the top left pane, right-click FA and select Calculate FP once more.
15. In the bottom left pane, you'll see 3 tabs: File, Master and Backup. Select Master.
16. Now write the new FA to the car by clicking the Write FA FP button in the bottom left pane. You've now updated your vehicle options for your car and need to reset default values for the affected ECUs.
17. Select Expert Mode and click Coding.
18. Once again, click Read to load the FA from your car.
19. Right-click FA and select Activate FA. You can now check the SALAPA element list to make sure it no longer includes 5AP and 8S4.
20. In the bottom right pane, click the Read SVT button to load the list of ECUs from your car.
21. In the bottom left pane, scroll down to the FEM_BODY ECU and click to select it. In the bottom right pane, click the Code button to VO Code that ECU, which basically sets the CAFD values for that ECU to the default values that you downloaded in PSdZDATA. Whatever you do, DO NOT CLICK Code Default Values; doing so will mess up your ECUs and will require recoding by your BMW dealer.
22. Do the same for the FLE[43], FLE[44] and KAFAS2 ECUs (i.e. for each, select the ECU and click Code button).
23. Now it's time to set the CAFD values for the FLE modules via FDL coding. To do so, scroll back up to the FLE[43] ECU and right-click the CAFD that has a green check mark. Click Read Coding Data, which should change the CAFD entry to a folder with a + sign.
24. Expand the FLE[43] CAFD folder, right click the CAFD entry within this folder and pick FDL Code. This should open the FDL editor for the FLE CAF. Assuming you placed my cheat code XML file in the right TokenMaster directory, you should see "Enable GFHB/antidazzle high beams - Euro Settings" in the top right pane.
25. Click the check box next to the cheat code and click the Review button (bottom right) to make sure it will change the right settings (the parameters on the left side, under FDL, should match the entries under Comments on the right). Assuming this looks good, click Close to close the pop-up.
26. Click the Apply button to apply the cheat code changes to the FLE CAF values. Wait until the text in the bottom right pane changes to confirm that you've applied the selected cheat code.
27. Click the Save button (top left; or pick Save from the File menu) to save the changed CAF settings to your hard disk.
28. Click the Return button (button with left-pointing arrow at the top left) to return to the Coding window.
29. In the bottom right pane click the Code FDL button to code the new FLE settings and write them to the car.
30. Repeat steps 24 through 29 for FLE[44].
31. Disconnect the car and shut it down. You can now use the Automatic High Beam button to enable GFHB.

Looks like a lot of steps, but it really is pretty easy. If at any point you want to go back to factory settings, repeat steps 1 thru 4, read the "FA - Factory Settings" file from your hard disk (which will reinsert 5AP and 8S4 vehicle options) and then repeat steps 11 thru 22.

You can always undo whatever coding you've done to your car. To undo FDL coding for any ECU, simply select that ECU in the Coding window and click the Code button to VO Code that ECU, which will set it back to the default values as specified in the PSdZDATA folder.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FDLCodes - FLE GFHB Only -V2.xml.pdf (9.3 KB, 220 views)
Appreciate 4
      11-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #1243
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
First put the attached XML file in the TokenMaster FDLcodes directory on your hard disk (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher Premium\FDLCodes) and remove the .PDF extension (file should have .XML extension).

To successfully code VLD and GFHB, follow the following steps:
I always skip 12-16.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #1244
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate it but I've got it sorted out using the file Almaretto posted in post #1211. What is the difference between your file and that one? I could redo it if there is an advantage but would rather not. If anyone knows for sure the coding to change HBA speeds on and off or NGHB speeds, please share. I've got a few ideas to try next time I get a chance but if someone already knows, that would be great
Thanks
Check Author of post, it was not me in #1211.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #1245
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks
If you used the cheat codes with the same XML file name and were able to apply the changes to your FLE ECUs you're all set.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #1246
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think these can be set in FEM_BODY. Try changing C_HBA_ENA_V_LO (HBA=High Beam Assistant) for the low threshold (default is 3C or 60 kmph, i.e. ~37 Mph) and C_HBA_ENA_V_HI for the high (default is 46 or 70 kmph, i.e. ~43 Mph). High beams should switch on when you hit C_HNA_ENA_V_HI and should switch off when you drop below C_HNA_ENA_V_LO.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #1247
biggal76
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think these can be set in FEM_BODY. Try changing C_HBA_ENA_V_LO (HBA=High Beam Assistant) for the low threshold (default is 3C or 60 kmph, i.e. ~37 Mph) and C_HBA_ENA_V_HI for the high (default is 46 or 70 kmph, i.e. ~43 Mph). High beams should switch on when you hit C_HNA_ENA_V_HI and should switch off when you drop below C_HNA_ENA_V_LO.
HBA comes on at 23mph and off at 18 in my car but the anti-glare feature of the HBA speeds are higher, possibly on at 43, off at 37. So if I switch C_HBA_ENA_V_LO (and HI), I think that will change my HBA, not my NGHB (or vice versa). I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Also, if default value of 3C codes for 37mph, how do I figure out the codes for other speeds? Is there a table of values or a formula I can use? I want to code HBA to work at very low speeds (like on at 8mph and off at 3 or maybe just delete the speedlock altogether-would that be werte of "ff"?) and NGHB to on at around 35mph and off around 30
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #1248
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
HBA comes on at 23mph and off at 18 in my car but the anti-glare feature of the HBA speeds are higher, possibly on at 43, off at 37. So if I switch C_HBA_ENA_V_LO (and HI), I think that will change my HBA, not my NGHB (or vice versa). I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Also, if default value of 3C codes for 37mph, how do I figure out the codes for other speeds? Is there a table of values or a formula I can use? I want to code HBA to work at very low speeds (like on at 8mph and off at 3 or maybe just delete the speedlock altogether-would that be werte of "ff"?) and NGHB to on at around 35mph and off around 30
Those are for NGHB. You can use Programming Calculator to convert Hex to decimal. There is no disabling.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #1249
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The thresholds are used to switch your high beams on or off. NGHB is active whenever you're using HBA and your high beams are on. As almaretto also explained, the values are stored as hexadecimal kilometers per hour, so 3C in hex is 60 decimal, i.e. 60 km per hour, which translates to approximately 37 miles per hour.

You either use HBA and NGHB together to automagically control your high beams (via the bottom button on the control stalk) or you manually switch between high and low beams by flipping the stalk back and forth. NGHB is inactive if you switch high beams manually.

When you use HBA/NGHB, the high beams will come on when your speed exceeds C_HBA_ENA_V_HI and they'll switch off when you slow down below C_HBA_ENA_V_LO. High beam patterns when NGHB is active are further configured via the _IDX indices in group 3003 of the FLE CAFDs (e.g. Stadt_V_Idx, Blendfreies_Fernlicht_Idx and Volles_Fernlicht__Lichthupe_Idx). To understand how these work, see the spreadsheet attachment in one of my earlier posts in this forum thread. As an example, Stadt_V_Idx is the light configuration in situations where your camera detects an urban setting, e.g. when it recognizes lamp posts; the NGHB system will switch off all high beams and dims the outer driver side low beam. Similarly, Blendfreies_Fernlicht_Idx specifies driver and/or passenger light configuration when the camera detects oncoming or following traffic; the system switches off the inner high beams (and swivels the outer high beams to the outside). Driver and passenger LED light units are controlled separately, with each unit containing LEDs that make up two high beams, two low beams, one indicator light, one daytime running light and one sidemarker, each of which is configurable.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #1250
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The thresholds are used to switch your high beams on or off. NGHB is active whenever you're using HBA and your high beams are on. As almaretto also explained, the values are stored as hexadecimal kilometers per hour, so 3C in hex is 60 decimal, i.e. 60 km per hour, which translates to approximately 37 miles per hour.

You either use HBA and NGHB together to automagically control your high beams (via the bottom button on the control stalk) or you manually switch between high and low beams by flipping the stalk back and forth. NGHB is inactive if you switch high beams manually.
Yes, they are activated the same way, except there are two speed thresholds. Below 41-43, HBA (on/off) is enabled and controlled by KAFAS FDL's. Above, NGHB (tunneling) is active and thresholds configured in Fem_Body.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #1251
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, they are activated the same way, except there are two speed thresholds. Below 41-43, HBA (on/off) is enabled and controlled by KAFAS FDL's. Above, NGHB (tunneling) is active and thresholds configured in Fem_Body.
Ah, that makes sense. Looks like the low speed thresholds in KAFAS2 are controlled by SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON and SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_OFF. ON is set to 28, i.e. 40 kmph or 25 Mph, and OFF is set to 1D, i.e. 29 kmph or ~18 Mph. So at speeds below (I assume) C_HBA_ENA_V_LO in FEM_BODY, high beams come on at 25 Mph and switch off when speed drops below 18 Mph.

So I guess that when you switch HBA/NGHB on at speeds above SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON (25 Mph) the high beams first switch on when you hit C_HBA_ENA_V_HI (43 Mph), and when you switch HBA/NGHB on below SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON (25 Mph) the high beams will first come on when you exceed SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON (25 Mph). Also, after the high beams switch off when you drop below C_HBA_ENA_V_LO (37 Mph) I guess they won't come back on until either (1) you drop below SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_OFF (18 Mph) and speed back up to over SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON (25 Mph) or (2) you speed back up to over C_HBA_ENA_V_HI (43 Mph). Fun!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #1252
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense. Looks like the low speed thresholds in KAFAS2 are controlled by SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON and SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_OFF. ON is set to 28, i.e. 40 kmph or 25 Mph, and OFF is set to 1D, i.e. 29 kmph or ~18 Mph. So at speeds below (I assume) C_HBA_ENA_V_LO in FEM_BODY, high beams come on at 25 Mph and switch off when speed drops below 18 Mph.

So I guess that when you switch HBA/NGHB on at speeds above SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON (25 Mph) the high beams first switch on when you hit C_HBA_ENA_V_HI (43 Mph), and when you switch HBA/NGHB on below SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON (25 Mph) the high beams will first come on when you exceed SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON (25 Mph). Also, after the high beams switch off when you drop below C_HBA_ENA_V_LO (37 Mph) I guess they won't come back on until either (1) you drop below SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_OFF (18 Mph) and speed back up to over SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON (25 Mph) or (2) you speed back up to over C_HBA_ENA_V_HI (43 Mph). Fun!
KAFAS: Controls (full brights) just on/off at lower residential speeds. Fem_body controls on/off of tunneling at highway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #1253
biggal76
Enlisted Member
Rep

I tried messing with SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON and SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_OFF values and the whole system didn't work at all so I put it all back to default. It's not worth messing with it (as Almoretto advised me in the first place).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #1254
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I tried messing with SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_ON and SPEED_SWITCHING_HIGH_BEAMS_OFF values and the whole system didn't work at all so I put it all back to default. It's not worth messing with it (as Almoretto advised me in the first place).
It is alright to play with settings for testing purposes, but my personal opinion is that system was not meant (designed) to operate under lower speeds.
Appreciate 0