EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

11-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #23
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

How do you tighten down the 2 center screws? There appears to be quite a bit of distance between the CF hole and the plastic mounting hole once the screw is in place.

I lined up the screw as follows: CF hole through the heatshield through to the plastic screw hole. It doesn't appear to tighten down all the way. I know I lined the screw correctly since I can see it go into the plastic hole. However, it just keeps spinning as I tighten. It clicks tight but then resets to being loose again if I screw it too tight.

As far as I can tell, everything is lined up correctly. I made sure I lined up the 4-5 top mounts and carefully clicked it into place.

Ultimately, I was able to install it and it feels secure as the left and right screws are straight forward and tied down. The 2 center screws are 50/50 IMO. Not sure if I did those correctly, but it appears it's being held in place.

Did I screw up the install?
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:55 AM   #24
mdefalco25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Rest assured you didn't screw anything up. You just need to do a decent amount of pulling on the plastic mounting section to typically align everything or your screws have been potentially stripped (doubtful). For what it's worth, I didn't use them. I found when I did, my trunk would start opening by walking by the car which annoyed me. I don't know many people that had this issue, however, with just the two screws installed on the sides, I haven't had any issues and it's been about a year now. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
How do you tighten down the 2 center screws? There appears to be quite a bit of distance between the CF hole and the plastic mounting hole once the screw is in place.

I lined up the screw as follows: CF hole through the heatshield through to the plastic screw hole. It doesn't appear to tighten down all the way. I know I lined the screw correctly since I can see it go into the plastic hole. However, it just keeps spinning as I tighten. It clicks tight but then resets to being loose again if I screw it too tight.

As far as I can tell, everything is lined up correctly. I made sure I lined up the 4-5 top mounts and carefully clicked it into place.

Ultimately, I was able to install it and it feels secure as the left and right screws are straight forward and tied down. The 2 center screws are 50/50 IMO. Not sure if I did those correctly, but it appears it's being held in place.

Appreciate 1
hellokitty2895.50
      11-08-2017, 06:01 AM   #25
Stealthm4bcm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

Don't worry about it. One of my center screws actually broke off while I was tightening. Diffuser was really a PITA. I wasn't expecting it to be. As long as everything looks perfectly flush and looks like a perfect fit u good.
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2895.50
      09-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #26
THOR48
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Competition

I really liked the CF look but didn't want to loose the kick-motion trunk opener. So, I had the defuser painted gloss black. Looks very good and maintains kick-motion trunk operation.
Appreciate 0