Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

01-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
///Rival
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 - Imola

Tire Machine - Looking for Advice

There are two things that I really dislike, door dings and getting tires changed. To mitigate door dings I employ the standard BMW double park maneuver. This year I plan to end my sleepless nights leading upto tire service by purchasing a tire machine and balancer so I can do my own.

I've never serviced tires before so I seeking some insight from those who have some insight on the subject. My budget is $10k-$15k for the tire machine and balancer. I'd prefer to purchase new equipment.

I have been looking around and believe the machine for me is the Coats 70XEH3 paired with a Coats 1100 balancer. I want something that can do run flats and low profile tires.

Specific questions are air vs. electric turn table? Is the lever less option worth it? Would there be better brands to consider in this price range?

Thanks!

Last edited by ///Rival; 02-11-2016 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

What's the issue with getting tires changed? Any decent shop can do a great job within an hour
      02-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #3
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Wow, what a giant waste of money... You could replace all four wheels multiple times over for the cost of that equipment. Most shops are pretty careful with large forged wheels, take them to a reputable shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivalRacing View Post
There are two things that I really dislike, door dings and getting tires changed. To mitigate door dings I employ the standard BMW double park maneuver. This year I plan to end my sleepless nights leading upto tire service by purchasing a tire machine and balancer so I can do my own.

I've never serviced tires before so I seeking some insight from those who have some insight on the subject. My budget is $10k-$15k for the tire machine and balancer. I'd prefer to purchase new equipment.

I have been looking around and believe the machine for me is the Coats 70XEH3 paired with a Coats 1100 balancer. I want something that can do run flats and low profile tires.

Specific questions are air vs. electric turn table? Is the lever less option worth it? Would there be better brands to consider in this price range?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Wow, what a giant waste of money... You could replace all four wheels multiple times over for the cost of that equipment. Most shops are pretty careful with large forged wheels, take them to a reputable shop.
Meh. If you have the scratch, why not? OP probably has a boat load of money based on his entitled view of the world.... as he boastfully "employs the BMW double park maneuver".

I'm actually still not sure if this thread is serious or just some evening trolling. But if serious, I say buy the best! Spend all the monies!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo View Post
Meh. If you have the scratch, why not? OP probably has a boat load of money based on his entitled view of the world.... as he boastfully "employs the BMW double park maneuver".

I'm actually still not sure if this thread is serious or just some evening trolling. But if serious, I say buy the best! Spend all the monies!
He should just buy an entire brand new tire shop with machines in them
That way he has a nice working area as well
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F83 M4 Convertible 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2 questions:

1. How often are you changing tires that you can warrant spending that kind of money to diy?

2. How bad of an experience did you have that you have "sleepless nights leading up to tire service"?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
He should just buy an entire brand new tire shop with machines in them
That way he has a nice working area as well
And when he upgrades to the new iPhone 7, he can just buy all of China. Aye man, I'm not hatin'... I wouldn't mind having that kind of baller status.

Seriously though, I still suspect this thread is just trolling.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivalRacing View Post
To mitigate door dings I employ the standard BMW double park maneuver.
You lost me after this. If you mean that you take two parking spots, rethink things, please.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #9
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

is he posting from a parallel universe? standard double park? I hope so.

goto a high end tire store. they have machine that cant scratch the wheels. their workers are also more mindful of customers' expensive wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #10
Chez
Brit Abroad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Frozen Black M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.50]
In good news, he only dislikes 2 things. Keying his car isn't one of them.

(Obviously I jest. Anyone who keys someone's car should be subjected to torture that makes Guantanamo seem like a vacation)

Instagram @M4TTE_BMW

More info and photos here.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 11:15 PM   #11
///Rival
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 - Imola

Dang guys....haters gonna hate! True, the sleepless nights could also be from sleeping on an uncomfortable mountain of money I suppose???

It was a "true" ask for advice and I am seriously contemplating the purchase. I'm sure that my financial situation isn't much better than most of the other F8X owners. I've just always wanted a tire machine to call my own. Sure, there is maybe one local shop that I'd actually take my wheels to, I'd just rather not.

As for how many sets I'd change, I would intend to offset the cost by swapping tires for others as well. And yes, I would get the proper insurance coverage, and where I'm at is properly zoned, etc, etc. I've consulted with a few guys that have a similar gig with motorcycle tires.

As for the parking, I make no apologies. I park at the far end(at least 10-15 empty spots between me and the next car). I'd never do it in a crowded lot. Perhaps around BFE, Illinoize the people don't respect other people's cars as much because door dings are a gaurentee if you park in general population.

If "entitled" means that I take very good care of the things that I work for, then yes I am entitled.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 11:23 PM   #12
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Taking two spots is no bueno. Period. Don't care where it is. You're one of the problem people that give the rest of us a bad name.

Do you not care that every place you park, people drive by and mouth the words "what an ******"? You are lucky if you don't get vandalized. You certainly increase the risk.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

OP...I understand your concern about wheel damage during tire installation, but have a trusted local shop with whom you have had a good experience perform the work. Make sure they will guarantee work including wheel injury. It's likely you will be spending north of $1500, so my assumption is that they will "take special care" during the installation.

Do not double park...you are only bringing unnecessary attention to your vehicle and a possible "key" event.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread