proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

01-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
Gatchaman12
Private
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Why are there so few step lip rims for the F8X market? In 19's preferably...

This is just something that has been bothering me. The F80 scene is scarce. Coming from the E92 M3 scene where there were PLENTY of rim choices from the start such as with BBS to Works to CCW with step lip rims, they seem almost non-existent in the F8X scene.

I get it, the car is fairly new and different hub positioning but NOT that new for these companies to not be putting out their classic rims that are well sought after rims. Such as BBS LM's or CCW Classics. If I want either of these rims right now in 19" size I have to go and get them custom made which is honestly not something I am a fan of. I am not going for a stance look or anything like that, just love the style of rim.

Work VSXX came out finally but only in 20's which makes no sense to me. Why not offer 19" size along with the 20"? Give your customers sizes they need for their car not just ONE SIZE deal with it.

CCW does not make anything passed 18. BBS is only bringing out 20's in the future apparently for LM's and won't even be flush fitment. Only 9.5 rears.

Do these companies not want business?

All the aftermarket rims I have been seeing on the F8X M3/M4 are either concave garbage rims that look like copies of each other or nowhere near as good as OEM. No offense to those manufacturers but basically half the rims in this thread are depressing (http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1135811)

Vorsteiner rims...BC Forged...Velgen...whatever brand you see in there don't do it for me at all but yet they are the brands that actually have beat these bigger brand companies and brought out reasonable sizes. Good for them but personal opinion the looks department are they do not look very good on the F8X body.

Just something that has been bothering me as the rim hunt continues. Until someone brings out a step lip rim in 19" looks like I am sticking to OEM.

Last edited by Gatchaman12; 05-13-2016 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

You might want to go Custom. There plenty of wheel companies that can make 19 inch on step lip. Klassen and RSV is just a few companies that can do it. I do agreed a lot of the wheels go look the same but this is why I went 3 piece step lip reverse lip. I like it. No one else has it on the F80 yet. If you want to stand out in this market, gotta do something different.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
kkakonn
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Your best bet would probably be to order a set. Once in a while if you browse Workwheelsonline.com they may have a prebuilt set ready to go, thats what I ended up doing because I'm the same way. I hate waiting for parts, especially months. But unfortunately with 3 piece step lip wheels theres so many fitments and color combinations, for a company to build and stock inventory would be a nightmare. Theres just too many combinations of sizes and color. And they would run the risk of sitting on that inventory for a long long time.
      01-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
Gatchaman12
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
You might want to go Custom. There plenty of wheel companies that can make 19 inch on step lip. Klassen and RSV is just a few companies that can do it. I do agreed a lot of the wheels go look the same but this is why I went 3 piece step lip reverse lip. I like it. No one else has it on the F80 yet. If you want to stand out in this market, gotta do something different.
Ya I definitely realize that, I have just never dabbled in custom rims and the thought of it almost scares me. As if the reputation and quality of the rim will not be as good. Feel free to point me in the right direction of people that do this and also I am curious what rim you ended up putting on your F80. Care to share? Feel free to PM me.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
kkakonn
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatchaman12 View Post
Ya I definitely realize that, I have just never dabbled in custom rims and the thought of it almost scares me. As if the reputation and quality of the rim will not be as good. Feel free to point me in the right direction of people that do this and also I am curious what rim you ended up putting on your F80. Care to share? Feel free to PM me.
Go with a set of custom works and never look back. They are priced just perfectly for a 3 piece custom Japanese made wheels.

I ran 20's but they come in 19's as well

Check out this write up by Fatlace regarding the quality and workmanship of Work Wheels
http://fatlace.com/7-days-in-osaka-d...heels-factory/
      01-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
Gatchaman12
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkakonn View Post
Your best bet would probably be to order a set. Once in a while if you browse Workwheelsonline.com they may have a prebuilt set ready to go, thats what I ended up doing because I'm the same way. I hate waiting for parts, especially months. But unfortunately with 3 piece step lip wheels theres so many fitments and color combinations, for a company to build and stock inventory would be a nightmare. Theres just too many combinations of sizes and color. And they would run the risk of sitting on that inventory for a long long time.
The problem like I said with Work is they only offer VSXX in 20's. I am aiming for 19's. I called them and asked to see if I can have a set of VSXX or brombacher made in 19's and they refused. It is not the fitment that is the problem, it is that they straight will not do it. I guess something about 20" being more popular in the F8X market which I feel is strange...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
Gatchaman12
Private
Rep

Quote:
Go with a set of custom works and never look back. They are priced just perfectly for a 3 piece custom Japanese made wheels.

I ran 20's but they come in 19's as well

Check out this write up by Fatlace regarding the quality and workmanship of Work Wheels
http://fatlace.com/7-days-in-osaka-d...heels-factory/
Look above, they do not come in 19's for F8X
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
I use to run a lot of WORK wheels on my 370z. I love their wheels, but they have certainly changed over the years. I went custom. I went with RSV wheels. They can make your wheel in any size and offset you want. I went with 20s. 20x10 front and 20x11.5 rear. I honestly can say, these are one of the best rims i own on this car. I will see if i can upload some photos. Its all custom, you choose the paint, offsets, everything is your choice, which makes your wheel unique.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #9
kkakonn
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The problem like I said with Work is they only offer VSXX in 20's. I am aiming for 19's. I called them and asked to see if I can have a set of VSXX or brombacher made in 19's and they refused. It is not the fitment that is the problem, it is that they straight will not do it. I guess something about 20" being more popular in the F8X market which I feel is strange...
Checkout the Work Meister M1 3 piece
      01-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
Gatchaman12
Private
Rep

Quote:
Checkout the Work Meister M1 3 piece
Will do but how can I tell if they will fit on M4? Last I talked to Work they said only the VSXX were the rims that would fit the F8X.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #11
Gatchaman12
Private
Rep

Still no luck on the search. If anyone finds anything or has anymore ideas please post here or PM me.

It looks like VSXX are going to be the route I go unless I find something else. I really don't want to as they are 20's but all the 19's I have found do not match my tastes.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

How about SSR wheels? I just looked on their site and they make offsets that will fit F8x platform, but might need to be ordered.. not sure if you're willing to wait, here's MS3 for example http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/ms3_181920.asp
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #13
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatchaman12
This is just something that has been bothering me. I recently picked up an M4 and coming from the E92 M3 scene where there were PLENTY of rim choices from the start such as with BBS to Works to CCW with step lip rims, they seem almost non-existent in the F8X scene.

I get it, the car is fairly new and different hub positioning but NOT that new for these companies to not be putting out their classic rims that are well sought after rims. Such as BBS LM's or CCW Classics. If I want either of these rims right now in 19" size I have to go and get them custom made which is honestly not something I am a fan of. I am not going for a stance look or anything like that, just love the style of rim.

Work VSXX came out finally but only in 20's which makes no sense to me. Why not offer 19" size along with the 20"? Give your customers sizes they need for their car not just ONE SIZE deal with it.

CCW does not make anything passed 18. BBS is only bringing out 20's in the future apparently for LM's and won't even be flush fitment. Only 9.5 rears.

Do these companies not want business?

All the aftermarket rims I have been seeing on the F8X M3/M4 are either concave garbage rims that look like copies of each other or nowhere near as good as OEM. No offense to those manufacturers but basically half the rims in this thread are depressing (http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1135811)

Vorsteiner rims...BC Forged...Velgen...whatever brand you see in there don't do it for me at all but yet they are the brands that actually have beat these bigger brand companies and brought out reasonable sizes. Good for them but personal opinion the looks department are they do not look very good on the F8X body.

Just something that has been bothering me as the rim hunt continues. Until someone brings out a step lip rim in 19" looks like I am sticking to OEM.
I really have no clue what you are talking about ? They are all plenty of wheels available. What do you want send me a pm I'll guide you to the right person or vendor...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #14
///M Dream
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Trust me I'm in same boat. Work said 19 would not clear brakes. Waiting on BBS if they ever release a LM variant in correct offset. Struggle is real for the F80 gen wheel wise.
      01-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #15
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

We have a decently sized list of wheels that are stepped lip that you may be interested in, luckily all of them we can make for you in 19". I know you mentioned you have some hesitation to having wheels being made, but I can tell you that HRE Wheels being in business for nearly 40 years, the only wheels that we manufacture are top tier quality using the best materials, cut from the best machines.

I don't want to bombard you with photos but you can check my gallery thread of the wheels that are currently in production using this link if you like, and get in touch if there are any questions I can assist with.

HRE Performance Wheels | Current Wheel Catalog and Gallery
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #16
Gatchaman12
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Dream View Post
Trust me I'm in same boat. Work said 19 would not clear brakes. Waiting on BBS if they ever release a LM variant in correct offset. Struggle is real for the F80 gen wheel wise.
LOL BBS Is never releasing them at this point they told me October...then November...Then December...it is January now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
How about SSR wheels? I just looked on their site and they make offsets that will fit F8x platform, but might need to be ordered.. not sure if you're willing to wait, here's MS3 for example http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/ms3_181920.asp
I will look into them thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
I really have no clue what you are talking about ? They are all plenty of wheels available. What do you want send me a pm I'll guide you to the right person or vendor...
How is it hard to understand? Looking for a 19" rim that is mesh with a step lip barrel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRE_Wheels View Post
We have a decently sized list of wheels that are stepped lip that you may be interested in, luckily all of them we can make for you in 19". I know you mentioned you have some hesitation to having wheels being made, but I can tell you that HRE Wheels being in business for nearly 40 years, the only wheels that we manufacture are top tier quality using the best materials, cut from the best machines.

I don't want to bombard you with photos but you can check my gallery thread of the wheels that are currently in production using this link if you like, and get in touch if there are any questions I can assist with.

HRE Performance Wheels | Current Wheel Catalog and Gallery
PM sent!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #17
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

I was here trying to help no need for smart remark... I have 13 years of experience in the wheel and tire industry and do know a couple people in the industry that can custom make pretty much anything but Good luck on your journey...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 02:27 AM   #18
Gatchaman12
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
I was here trying to help no need for smart remark... I have 13 years of experience in the wheel and tire industry and do know a couple people in the industry that can custom make pretty much anything but Good luck on your journey...
If you think what I said to you above is a smart/bad remark I don't know what to say...literally responding to your message
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #19
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Forgeline offers step-lip wheels in 19". They have a street line (Performance Series) and a race line (Competition Series). I have a set of their ZX3R (race) and I'm getting ready to order a set of GZ3R. The ZX3Rs are > 10 years old (used on e46 and now f22) and not one single issue in ~75k miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #20
Gatchaman12
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Forgeline offers step-lip wheels in 19". They have a street line (Performance Series) and a race line (Competition Series). I have a set of their ZX3R (race) and I'm getting ready to order a set of GZ3R. The ZX3Rs are > 10 years old (used on e46 and now f22) and not one single issue in ~75k miles.
Thank you I will check into them
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #21
Rhedrick17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F82 M4

defiantly look into wheel manufactures that take your specs and custom build your set of wheels. RSV forged is a great company who I've done business with in the past, outstanding quality. I'm still trying to decide what style but they will be building my wheels for my f82 soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #22
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
I feel your frustration Gatchaman.
I've been looking for a set of 19" forged one piece monoblock style wheels with a lip.
AND keeping it under $6000.
For now I'll slap some spacers on the oems and continue the search.
As mentioned above if you're willing to spend the cash forgeline does have some really great wheels with your criteria, but it won't be cheap.