Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

05-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW SO/SO M3

Help me choose!!!

Hey all!

I have a company that is building a wheel for me but I'm trying to figure out which will be the best choice. What are your thoughts? These are 3-piece forged wheels from a company in CA so they are US-made/US-materials.

The mesh-style on top will cost me $5,200.
The second one on the bottom is completely custom at $6,400.
19inch x 9 front and 19 x 11 rear

Your thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

If I had to choose, I'd say top.

But goddamn that's a lot of money for some wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
If I had to choose, I'd say top.

But goddamn that's a lot of money for some wheels.
maybe...that's why I'm asking for everyone's help deciding! If money wasn't an issue, I would buy both and just switch them out every month when I got bored!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
GotEM4
General
Rep
Drives: EM4

bottom...overpriced though.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]

Orrrr, you could spend the money on some Volks or BBS?

Personally I would worry about the reliability of custom wheels during track use.
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleyguy View Post

Orrrr, you could spend the money on some Volks or BBS?

Personally I would worry about the reliability of custom wheels during track use.
I know I will have some great track use with this M3, but I doubt I will be putting it through the paces like a race team. I will have a full day of driving at Spa Francorchamps and the Nurburgring, but I'm sure they will stand up to the test. Besides, I thought a 3 piece build was stronger than a forged 1-piece. or is it just the fact that when you bend a rim they are easier to replace?

In fact, I actually had some flowformed wheels on my heavy butt GTR that I shipped to Europe and flogged on the 'Ring.
http://www.forgestar.com/blog/?p=1165
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer dad View Post
I know I will have some great track use with this M3, but I doubt I will be putting it through the paces like a race team. I will have a full day of driving at Spa Francorchamps and the Nurburgring, but I'm sure they will stand up to the test. Besides, I thought a 3 piece build was stronger than a forged 1-piece. or is it just the fact that when you bend a rim they are easier to replace?

In fact, I actually had some flowformed wheels on my heavy butt GTR that I shipped to Europe and flogged on the 'Ring.
http://www.forgestar.com/blog/?p=1165
On what color car are they for? I have to say this, because the inner penny pincher insists: NO! Don't do it man, Use the money on something fun, like like hmmm.. I'll get back to you as soon as I remember what is the meaning of the word.

Still, your wife is going to kill you if that invoice shows up at home. I would.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
On what color car are they for? I have to say this, because the inner penny pincher insists: NO! Don't do it man, Use the money on something fun, like like hmmm.. I'll get back to you as soon as I remember what is the meaning of the word.

Still, your wife is going to kill you if that invoice shows up at home. I would.
hahah! Yes, it is for an SO/SO color combo and I would go with a smoke grey/ slightly lighter than gun metal grey.

What are you talking about my wife is going to kill me? The invoice is going to show up at YOUR house!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer dad View Post
hahah! Yes, it is for an SO/SO color combo and I would go with a smoke grey/ slightly lighter than gun metal grey.

What are you talking about my wife is going to kill me? The invoice is going to show up at YOUR house!

Darker, always darker. and the top option, since the other looks like something that a Ford would sell. If you go with the sun roof, it's even more important to balance the SO, so go for it.

Well, I'm getting killed over my car anyway, so I'll take the fall for you also. The list of the things I may have not mentioned at home is starting to be longer than the truths shared, starting with color, invoice, MPG's, taxing in finland, "no I'm not shipping it back to Europe, I'll just sell it off", yeah, just visited the forum, I really don't post there ever, and so on. How I stay married, is a wonder even to me. I would kill him if he bought a car, and told me a month later via email, what he got.

Oh well, guess it's the light and shiny personality he likes then.
Appreciate 0