Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #243
bsskier2691
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 coupe

Thanks for the advice, F82 it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
I haven't tried the GTS varient yet. Since you tried a cayman S and owned some "real" porsches in the past i would say you should just order an F82 and do euro delivery. thats my standard prescription for anyone that has A) had a porsche previously and B) the M4 fits in your price range.
Karussell: Thanks for the reply. I know I will love both cars which makes it such a difficult decision.
I won't place an order until December or so since driving in the winter here is not advisable, at least not at this altitude.
Bsskier
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #244
justinco
btr.life
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36

Garage List
1994 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
2005 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
Excellent review and a lot of great info!

Next summer maybe
      08-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #245
Canyon_Dancer
Banned
Brazil
Rep
Drives: F82!

Reading this thread has just incited more anxiety. Thanks James!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #246
Hobbination
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Anyone else experience really squeaky breaks? particularly from the front right passenger side? noticed this in the alps on only right tuning coming DOWN from the amazing winding passes. Again it showed up this time much more frequent on the Ring. Brakes felt great in both scenarios, but just curious if the scream was me or everyone else too.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #247
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbination View Post
Anyone else experience really squeaky breaks? particularly from the front right passenger side? noticed this in the alps on only right tuning coming DOWN from the amazing winding passes. Again it showed up this time much more frequent on the Ring. Brakes felt great in both scenarios, but just curious if the scream was me or everyone else too.
I did not have that problem, do you ccbs or steels?
      08-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #248
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
probably just got some debree embedded in the pad on that side. it should wear itself out. also could have glazed the pads. easily enough fixed by bedding them in again.
      08-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #249
Hobbination
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Steel's, thanks guys, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #250
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I experienced it too in the exact same context as you, (aggressively) coming down alpine passes. I couldn't tell if it came from a particular wheel though. The squeal always occurred during brake release. The noise went away with normal driving.

I attribute this to a potentially more aggressive pad compound on the F8X cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #251
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Karussell, thanks for raising the forum's level of discourse with your insightful posts on the F8X in high-performance driving scenarios. A couple thoughts come to mind as I read through the pages.

I am thankfully one of those lucky enough to try the "dark side" with a 2013 Boxster S in the BMW stable. It's smooooth and go-karty, and a pleasure to drive when it comes on the cam over 5K saying "NOW do you believe that I can run?" Totally different, lots of fun.

It's fun to hear about F8X turbo lag when flooring it in 2nd gear. My guess is that the DST or MDM was lit up like a Christmas tree, and the "turbo lag" cured itself as the rears finally hooked up. I experienced this turbo lag in the f80 many times before recalibrating my right foot.

I agree with you that Sport+ is a linear setting, well-suited for driving the pants off the car. (Assuming the proper right-foot recalibration!) After many years of racing an E36 M3, this torque/throttle response is in more of a "big bore" league than what I was used to.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #252
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

bonus video at the end

for those that read all the pages of this review i have a gift. i am compiling some videos but this one is particularly fun. so here is the car in action at SPA. I have Sabine Schmitz riding along... naturally I have to do what I enjoy doing most with this car. dance!

the mad engineers at BMW M did their job well. in the end this car is just a joy to drive just like very M car before it and puts a huge smile on everyone's face.

08-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #253
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
for those that read all the pages of this review i have a gift. i am compiling some videos but this one is particularly fun. so here is the car in action at SPA. I have Sabine Schmitz riding along... naturally I have to do what I enjoy doing most with this car. dance!

the mad engineers at BMW M did their job well. in the end this car is just a joy to drive just like very M car before it and puts a huge smile on everyone's face.
THAT is AWESOME Thanks for posting!
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #254
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

uploaded a bunch more. videos on video page. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8#post16456078
      08-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #255
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:

Not a bad co-pilot! She never stops smiling, love it.
      08-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #256
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:

Sabine Scmitz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz

Quote: "Schmitz came to mass public attention driving one of the two BMW M5 "Ring taxi" around the 20.8 km long race track in an entertaining manner.

According to her own estimates, Schmitz has gone around the track more than 30,000 times, increasing by approximately 1200 per year. Her familiarity with the circuit earned her the nicknames "Queen of the Nürburgring" and "the fastest taxi driver in the world". She says her favourite parts of the track are Schwedenkreuz and Fuchsröhre.[3]"
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #257
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Sabine Scmitz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz

Quote: "Schmitz came to mass public attention driving one of the two BMW M5 "Ring taxi" around the 20.8 km long race track in an entertaining manner.

According to her own estimates, Schmitz has gone around the track more than 30,000 times, increasing by approximately 1200 per year. Her familiarity with the circuit earned her the nicknames "Queen of the Nürburgring" and "the fastest taxi driver in the world". She says her favourite parts of the track are Schwedenkreuz and Fuchsröhre.[3]"
She is a sweetheart until you race her on the track then you better watch out

wish i had it recorded but she was really happy with how well the new M3/4 does right out the factory.