ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-31-2017, 08:00 AM   #397
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M4_j2 View Post
That's correct. If you want FULL ADAPTIVE it is an up charge but BI-LED is standard now.
I wonder what that fundamentally means. Adaptive headlights are a standard feature with those "BI-LED" headlights (524 is shown as a standard feature). I wonder what "FULL ADAPTIVE" actually means, as we wont get the VLD and anti-dazzle in Canada. So are you paying 2 grand just for a different cosmetic headlight arrangement ?
I'm going to bet the BI LED don't turn with the steering wheel, auto level or have the cornering lamps that our cars have now. They are most likely just basic LED headlamps which would still be a big improvement over the Xenon
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 08:02 AM   #398
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
I wonder what that fundamentally means. Adaptive headlights are a standard feature with those "BI-LED" headlights (524 is shown as a standard feature). I wonder what "FULL ADAPTIVE" actually means, as we wont get the VLD and anti-dazzle in Canada. So are you paying 2 grand just for a different cosmetic headlight arrangement ?
It says Adaptive Full LED not Full Adaptive. My guess is there are still parts of the standard light that are not LED. It outlines the differences..
Agreed plus I think it's as I mentioned above, the "adaptive" part in the past has always been the ability to turn and move the lenses around
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 08:09 AM   #399
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Agreed plus I think it's as I mentioned above, the "adaptive" part in the past has always been the ability to turn and move the lenses around
Just look at the picture/description above.

Standard doesn't have the stupid LED tube going towards the middle of the grill. Turn signal is not LED on standard. I'm also guessing as you said they don't turn but no mention of that.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #400
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
Just look at the picture/description above.

Standard doesn't have the stupid LED tube going towards the middle of the grill. Turn signal is not LED on standard. I'm also guessing as you said they don't turn but no mention of that.
That would be pretty shady of BMW to charge $2,000 for that tube and the new angel eye shape HOWEVER, I wouldn't put it past them. The $2,000 option better do something for that price
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 08:34 AM   #401
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
That would be pretty shady of BMW to charge $2,000 for that tube and the new angel eye shape HOWEVER, I wouldn't put it past them. The $2,000 option better do something for that price
If its having that line vs not having it I would have saved 2k on my car
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 08:35 AM   #402
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I'm going to bet the BI LED don't turn with the steering wheel, auto level or have the cornering lamps that our cars have now. They are most likely just basic LED headlamps which would still be a big improvement over the Xenon
As I stated previously, according to the BMW Canada ordering guide and the LCI bulletin, the adaptive feature (option code 524) is standard even with the base "BI-LED" headlights, which implies they will indeed "swivel with the steering wheel".

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #403
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
As I stated previously, according to the BMW Canada ordering guide and the LCI bulletin, the adaptive feature (option code 524) is standard even with the base "BI-LED" headlights, which implies they will indeed "swivel with the steering wheel".
No.

The standard LED headlights do NOT have the adaptive feature (Adaptives Kurvenlicht aka swiveling with the steering wheel, as you call it). They are just normal, non-adaptive full bi-LED (bi-LED meaning LED for both low- and high beams) headlights. The only thing that you can buy on top of those headlights is the High Beam Assist, at least in Germany. They do have LED turn signals.

If you want the Kurvenlicht feature and all the other features, you have to buy the Adaptive LED Headlights which also come with BMW Selective Beam and whatnot.

The F32 LCI headlights are from the technical point of view the same as F30 LCI headlights.

Last edited by swagon; 01-31-2017 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #404
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
No.

The standard LED headlights do NOT have the adaptive feature (Adaptives Kurvenlicht aka swiveling with the steering wheel, as you call it). They are just normal, non-adaptive full bi-LED (bi-LED meaning LED for both low- and high beams) headlights. The only thing that you can buy on top of those headlights is the High Beam Assist, at least in Germany. They do have LED turn signals.

If you want the Kurvenlicht feature and all the other features, you have to buy the Adaptive LED Headlights which also come with BMW Selective Beam and whatnot.

The F32 LCI headlights are from the technical point of view the same as F30 LCI headlights.
That is very interresting. If that is true, that means there is a mistake in the BMW Canada Ordering/Pricing guide and LCI Product Bulletin. Both of these documents show option 524 Adaptive Headlights as a standard feature.

Note: errors like this are all too frequent

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:52 PM   #405
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
That is very interresting. If that is true, that means there is a mistake in the BMW Canada Ordering/Pricing guide and LCI Product Bulletin. Both of these documents show option 524 Adaptive Headlights as a standard feature.

Note: errors like this are all too frequent
I wish someone put CS info in the press materials, that would be a good error.

German price lists for F32 LCI are already on their website, have a look. Here is the direct link. Page 11 for standard equipment LEDs and 53 for Adaptive. Cannot copy text from the PDF.
      01-31-2017, 03:17 PM   #406
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I wish someone put CS info in the press materials, that would be a good error.

German price lists for F32 LCI are already on their website, have a look. Here is the direct link. Page 11 for standard equipment LEDs and 53 for Adaptive. Cannot copy text from the PDF.
Thanks for sharing. I could indeed not find any indication of option code 524.

And yes, I am also eagerly awaiting info about the M4CS

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #407
Foxyy
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 LCI

Hey guys,

I just checked the pricing list for MY2018 here in Germany and intrestingly it says, that full adaptive LED headlights will be standard here.
The pricing list also features a picture there of the LED frontlights which I will try to attach to this post.

Seems strange to me that this differs between Germany and Canada, doesn't it?

Best regards!

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/deuts...67377DE/376585
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-31-2017, 04:27 PM   #408
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

I like the new "black" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #409
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyy View Post
Hey guys,

I just checked the pricing list for MY2018 here in Germany and intrestingly it says, that full adaptive LED headlights will be standard here.
The pricing list also features a picture there of the LED frontlights which I will try to attach to this post.

Seems strange to me that this differs between Germany and Canada, doesn't it?

Best regards!

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/deuts...67377DE/376585
Just another way for BMW Canada to milk us

Different countries select different "options" to include in the "standard" base car depending on local markets. That has always been. For example, we get the 19" 437M as "standard" here in Canada.

What is the relative (%) price increase of the M4 in Germany since the LCI? Maybe the LCI full LED headlights are buried in an overall price increase...

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #410
Foxyy
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 LCI

Quote:
What is the relative (%) price increase of the M4 in Germany since the LCI? Maybe the LCI full LED headlights are buried in an overall price increase...
The Basic price has increased by 3000€, making no difference for those fellas who have chosen to take the "Connected Drive Package" anyway.

But I just saw, that the full LED's have been standard already in MY2017. So they probably just kept their line here.
Back-Camera is still an option here.

I hope I could help you, excuse my english please
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321113.50
      02-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #411
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Interrestingly, the BMW Canada M4 LCI product planning bulletin shows the revised LCI headlights as being a $2000 option with the standard xenon replaced by "bi-LED" headlights (whatever that means) in the traditional two ring design.
Not too surprised the top tier fully adaptive lighting is being made optional in some markets. This will likely apply to the US as well.

The good news is that the entry level lighting is quite pleasing to the eye. Recall that for the 3 Series, even post-LCI, the standard light remains a lowly Halogen option that is quite pedestrian looking. The M3 in particular really wins by sharing the 4/M4 lighting here instead.

It will be interesting to see side-by-side pics of the pre-LCI LED lights next to the post-LCI non-adaptive LED lights. They have a similar appearance, though obviously the new ones have fewer features. Still, for those who go with the non-adaptive lights and want to upgrade later to adaptive, depending on aesthetic preference, the chosen route may be the pre-LCI LED light instead of the new one.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #412
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Not too surprised the top tier fully adaptive lighting is being made optional in some markets. This will likely apply to the US as well.

The good news is that the entry level lighting is quite pleasing to the eye. Recall that for the 3 Series, even post-LCI, the standard light remains a lowly Halogen option that is quite pedestrian looking. The M3 in particular really wins by sharing the 4/M4 lighting here instead.

It will be interesting to see side-by-side pics of the pre-LCI LED lights next to the post-LCI non-adaptive LED lights. They have a similar appearance, though obviously the new ones have fewer features. Still, for those who go with the non-adaptive lights and want to upgrade later to adaptive, depending on aesthetic preference, the chosen route may be the pre-LCI LED light instead of the new one.
If you look at the screenshot from the BMW Canada M4 LCI product planning bulletin in post 393, it seems the BI-LED headlights will look very similar to the pre-LCI xenon and not to the pre-LCI LEDs. It explains why we have seen LCI mules that were wearing what seemed like the current xenon.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #413
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you look at the screenshot from the BMW Canada M4 LCI product planning bulletin in post 393, it seems the BI-LED headlights will look very similar to the pre-LCI xenon and not to the pre-LCI LEDs.
I did look at that - that's what my reply was based on.

When I say similar I mean, the halos are the traditional closed type rather than the new open ones with the bars that point toward the grill.

In other words, I agree with you, but I would add/argue that the pre-LCI Xenon and pre-LCI LED also look very similar to each other in this way too. The switch to LED lighting elements with the entry light will make them that much more similar in appearance.

Quote:
It explains why we have seen LCI mules that were wearing what seemed like the current xenon.
Indeed it does.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #414
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did look at that - that's what my reply was based on.

When I say similar I mean, the halos are the traditional closed type rather than the new open ones with the bars that point toward the grill.

In other words, I agree with you, but I would add/argue that the pre-LCI Xenon and pre-LCI LED also look very similar to each other in this way too. The switch to LED lighting elements with the entry light will make them that much more similar in appearance.
I see what you mean: the BI-LED retain the circular hallows.

However, I am still of the opinion that the LCI BI-LEDs more closely mimic the outgoing xenon in terms of overall appearance.

On the pre-LCI LEDs, the hallows were lit from the back with a tri-dimensional effect while the xenon hallows were one-dimensional and lit from the bottom. The hallows on the LCI BI-LEDs also seem to be one-dimensional and lit from the bottom just like the xenon.

Further, on the pre-LCI LEDs, all four headlights would half-illuminate on low beam and fully illuminate on high beams while the pre-LCI xenon, on either low or high beam, would fully illuminate and only use the outer headlights on each side with the inner headlight being a dud. If you look at the picture below of the LCI mule, it seems like the BI-LEDs also fully illuminate and only the outer headlights on low beams just like the outgoing xenon.

Sorry if I am argumentative here
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-01-2017 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #415
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see what you mean: the BI-LED retain the circular hallows.

However, I am still of the opinion that the LCI BI-LEDs more closely mimic the outgoing xenon in terms of overall appearance.

Sorry if I am argumentative here
No worries.

I guess my primary point is this: for those who don't like the look of the new LCI adaptive LED headlights (see numerous replies in this thread) one solution is to just go with the new entry level LED headlight instead. But, if the adaptive features are desired, one could simply install the pre-LCI LED headlight later.

I should add that, in the end, I think few will do this because while some people initially tend to react negatively to aesthetic changes like this, eventually most everyone will get used to it and like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #416
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No worries.

I guess my primary point is this: for those who don't like the look of the new LCI adaptive LED headlights (see numerous replies in this thread) one solution is to just go with the new entry level LED headlight instead. But, if the adaptive features are desired, one could simply install the pre-LCI LED headlight later.
Got it

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #417
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
These are pics of the LCI 3 series standard BI-LED headlights on a rental 3 series I have right now. They are indeed a much lesser option than the Full Adaptive. These have 4 lights just as the Better ones do however when you go to high beams the same 4 just get brighter vs. the top half lighting up like the Full Adaptive ones will. Which makes sense because they are much less brighter than my M4 with full adaptive LED. They also have a smaller Led turn signal bar. No halogen at all though. These don't turn with the wheel but They do have the newer style angel eyes though.

The pic of the mule M4 above has Xenon. That's why you see only the putter two bulbs lit up. Must be an older mule.

The nice part is that if you don't want to pay for the full adaptive the standard option is far better than the Xenons were.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #418
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
These are pics of the LCI 3 series standard BI-LED headlights on a rental 3 series I have right now. They are indeed a much lesser option than the Full Adaptive. These have 4 lights just as the Better ones do however when you go to high beams the same 4 just get brighter vs. the top half lighting up like the Full Adaptive ones will. Which makes sense because they are much less brighter than my M4 with full adaptive LED. They also have a smaller Led turn signal bar. No halogen at all though. These don't turn with the wheel but They do have the newer style angel eyes though.

The pic of the mule M4 above has Xenon. That's why you see only the putter two bulbs lit up. Must be an older mule.

The nice part is that if you don't want to pay for the full adaptive the standard option is far better than the Xenons were.
My understanding is that the 4-series BI-LEDs are different from the ones on the 3-series. Have a look at post#393, they indeed look very similar to the ones one the mule posted above.
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-01-2017 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0