proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Does the f80 M3/M4 Manual Dump Boost?

One thing I hated about the 335i manual was that it dumped boost when shifting....can anyone comment on whether the Manual Trans car dumps boost when shifting?
Any manual owners chime in?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer
One thing I hated about the 335i manual was that it dumped boost when shifting....can anyone comment on whether the Manual Trans car dumps boost when shifting?
i thought i read that it holds revs on upshifts?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Not sure on the manual, but the DCT holds like a champ.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Not sure on the manual, but the DCT holds like a champ.
No DCT for Me...I'll buy manuals as long as they still make em
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
MrCsquared
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer
i thought i read that it holds revs on upshifts?
Really good question.

I heard this as well (holding revs on upshift) but wasn't sure if that was done in an effort to 1.) smoothen the transition between gears (when one takes too long switching between gears and subsequently causes revs to fall too low for the next gear), OR, 2.) to hold the boost.

Here's to hoping its number 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
No DCT for Me...I'll buy manuals as long as they still make em
I dont understand why the auto transmission guys dont get this about people that like to drive manuals.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I would think that it would be like the 335 and dump boost. I don't see how it's possible otherwise; there needs to be a momentary cut for the shift to happen. I could be wrong though.
      06-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

I saw something about it holding revs.. I'm hoping that works differently than the current x35i(s) where it's just the rotational mass of the flywheel being heavy still spinning after pushing in the clutch.. so sometimes if you shift too fast at mid-range RPMs you get a surge. Hopefully it's got some predictive tech in there..

I'm glad to see a company though.. advancing manual transmission technology.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
I dont understand why the auto transmission guys dont get this about people that like to drive manuals.
I don't think anyone is suffering from a lack of understanding that some people just prefer a manual/think it's more fun. It's not rocket science that people will have different preferences.

The response you quoted above was me pointing out the data I saw regarding DCT and also pointing out that the same person that pulled the DCT data stated his opinion that the manual won't operate like the DCT unfortunately for those that choose the manual.

I'd also propose that this being a forum populated by enthusiasts, that most of us consider the manual the more 'fun' to drive. Most would still opt for the DCT as it gives some of the fun of the manual while being the superior performing transmission (it is a performance car afterall).

If it was a choice between a great manual and a normal auto then we'd probably see the numbers shift a bit towards the manual than they are currently but as we have it the DCT is one of the best in the world and is hard for many to pass up. It is still a lot of fun to drive even if you dont have that third pedal.

My personal take is, I think manuals are an absolute blast to drive. But for a daily driver? It's a no brainier to chose the DCT for a number of reasons because it's just so good.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Anyone have a link a publication referring to holding revs? or even better would be if an manual trans owner could chime in
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyone have a link a publication referring to holding revs? or even better would be if an manual trans owner could chime in
I will have mine either tomorrow, Saturday, or Monday. I'll be sure to update after I test.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I don't think anyone is suffering from a lack of understanding that some people just prefer a manual/think it's more fun. It's not rocket science that people will have different preferences.

The response you quoted above was me pointing out the data I saw regarding DCT and also pointing out that the same person that pulled the DCT data stated his opinion that the manual won't operate like the DCT unfortunately for those that choose the manual.

I'd also propose that this being a forum populated by enthusiasts, that most of us consider the manual the more 'fun' to drive. Most would still opt for the DCT as it gives some of the fun of the manual while being the superior performing transmission (it is a performance car afterall).

If it was a choice between a great manual and a normal auto then we'd probably see the numbers shift a bit towards the manual than they are currently but as we have it the DCT is one of the best in the world and is hard for many to pass up. It is still a lot of fun to drive even if you dont have that third pedal.

My personal take is, I think manuals are an absolute blast to drive. But for a daily driver? It's a no brainier to chose the DCT for a number of reasons because it's just so good.
+1 well said
09 E92 M3,AW/FR. MODS:Performane Kidney Grills,Side Gills,Exhaust Tips,BMW Performance Pedals,359 Satin Black GTS Wheels,275/35/19R & 255/35/19F PSS's,Dinan Stage I Suspension,Macht Schnell Spacers 12mmF,5mmR,Rear Fogs,Euphoria 6k,LCI Tails,LUX v3,OEM IND Painted Alpine White CF Performance Spoiler, Front Splitters, and Front Reflectors,Gloss Black Hood Vents,M Performance Steering Wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
For years upon years, before the invention of dual clutch transmissions, manuals were the superior performance option. Now, it is the other way around. That said, all automatics are still quirky in how they do things. As someone who owns both a dual clutch car and a manual car, the manual is FAR more enjoyable. Aside from the physical actions of using a foot clutch and shifter, the manual allows the driver to really feel the engine-transmission interface while shifting. This sensory experience is gone with an automatic.

Still, I was in a race for money, DCT would be the way to go.
      07-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I think you're talking about it holding boost, not revs, between shifts.

Taken from this page - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=923203
  • Two mono-scroll turbochargers
  • Mitsubishi mono-scroll turbochargers
  • 18.1 PSI / 1.25 BAR max peak
  • Pre-tensioned in Sport and Sport+ modes (keep spinning at a high rate of speed even after throttle lift-off, for ultra quick response - more details)
  • Impulse charging for optimized responsiveness
  • Flow-enhanced manifolds
  • Electric wastegate actuator
      07-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Can any manual owners chime in... is the "pre tensioned turbos" a ///Marketing tactic or does this thing really hold boost & power well during up shifts.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can any manual owners chime in... is the "pre tensioned turbos" a ///Marketing tactic or does this thing really hold boost & power well during up shifts.
It works. I feel no lag after shifts. And in comfort & sport mode, it even holds the RPMs for a bit so it's super smooth after shifting. I didn't even notice this until I switched to sport+ and since the revs drop so fast, you notice how harsh it is especially with the power being instantly there when you get back on the throttle after shifting.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
There is definitely something going on when the car is in sport or sport+ mode. If you get it under some load and make full boost, even if you shift at like 3500 rpm, there is a "brrraappp" out the exhaust on the shift that isn't present in the default mode. It sounds a bit similar to what the DCT cars sound like on a shift. I'm hoping that it is a big timing dump that is happening in conjunction with the wastegates moving to a much more aggressive position....both which work together to keep the turbos spooled up during the shift.

Anecdotally, I noticed NO performance degradation on the shift running down the straightaway at SPA against the DCT cars.

I eagerly await getting mine back so I can do more testing and logging. If this is actually the case, it is another huge win for the 6MT drivetrain along with better fuel econ in the US, and better reliability.
      07-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
This is Great feedback. 6 MT all the way!
Appreciate 0