BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-17-2017, 04:37 AM   #1
einscot
Banned
Rep
Drives: '17 f80 ZCP, '94 d90, '13 x5d

1014 miles - alignment check at break in?

going through the forums it seems some people have more pulling to the right issues than others. what i'd like to know is if the claim that bmw will check alignment for free at break in (before 1200 miles essentially) is correct. there are enough SAs and CAs here on the forums that ought to be able to tell me truthfully and i would appreciate it. my car's steering wheel has its natural "dead spot" slightly right, and as such i'm constantly battling right pull. if i step on the brake hard, i can literally watch the front of my car dive right. if i were in the left lane and came to a hard stop from let's say 20 mph, the car pulls so hard right that it would change lanes before it stopped. that can't be normal. noticed it this morning for the first time (at like 980 miles on the odo) when someone brake checked me about 500 feet before a traffic light and when i was going around 18 mph slowing to the light. it concerned me enough the whole way to work that i spent the 30+ miles with different braking force on different roads to see how bad it was. that's when i really noticed the "slight right" natural position of my steering wheel.

not sure if it's truly a "my car pulls right" or if the steering wheel wasn't aligned properly upon install and this is all playing with me head.

either way, my 1200 mile service is on monday and i want to insist they look at this, but i've read around here that a lot of dealers will tell you they'll only do it if it's under 1000 miles or something. (i've seen the 1200 claim and the 2000 claim, which is why i came to you all here). would like to be armed with the correct info when i walk into the shop on monday morning.

Last edited by einscot; 03-17-2017 at 04:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
***M4***
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M4 CompPack- 6 MT- yas blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by einscot View Post
going through the forums it seems some people have more pulling to the right issues than others. what i'd like to know is if the claim that bmw will check alignment for free at break in (before 1200 miles essentially) is correct. there are enough SAs and CAs here on the forums that ought to be able to tell me truthfully and i would appreciate it. my car's steering wheel has its natural "dead spot" slightly right, and as such i'm constantly battling right pull. if i step on the brake hard, i can literally watch the front of my car dive right. if i were in the left lane and came to a hard stop from let's say 20 mph, the car pulls so hard right that it would change lanes before it stopped. that can't be normal. noticed it this morning for the first time (at like 980 miles on the odo) when someone brake checked me about 500 feet before a traffic light and when i was going around 18 mph slowing to the light. it concerned me enough the whole way to work that i spent the 30+ miles with different braking force on different roads to see how bad it was. that's when i really noticed the "slight right" natural position of my steering wheel.

not sure if it's truly a "my car pulls right" or if the steering wheel wasn't aligned properly upon install and this is all playing with me head.

either way, my 1200 mile service is on monday and i want to insist they look at this, but i've read around here that a lot of dealers will tell you they'll only do it if it's under 1000 miles or something. (i've seen the 1200 claim and the 2000 claim, which is why i came to you all here). would like to be armed with the correct info when i walk into the shop on monday morning.
If it is pulling that hard when u brake it may be a brake or caliper issue
      03-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

If its under 2000 miles, the dealer will cover it. Get it done, its worth it. Mine was pulling to the right and steering wheel was off, not due to braking but alignment was off. Its not straight when it comes from the factory. No big issue, you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
einscot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoua2u View Post
If its under 2000 miles, the dealer will cover it. Get it done, its worth it. Mine was pulling to the right and steering wheel was off, not due to braking but alignment was off. Its not straight when it comes from the factory. No big issue, you should be good.
the foreman went on a test drive with the tech and they are replacing the steering knuckle - apparently they felt it/noticed it right away. on a side note, they're also fixing the tear in my leather seat near the M logo that i discovered this weekend (car has 1116 miles and is 11 days old), so i guess that's positive it's all being done at once.

fingers crossed they can do this quickly - had to leave it overnight for now
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
einscot
Banned
Rep

update - first of all, per the bmw paperwork I have, alignment check is limited to the first 2000 miles for warranty. seems like after that, it would be out of pocket.

posting the before and after specs here along with the service sheets (page 2 and 3 detail what they did).

side note - i did pay out of pocket to have the 6MT fluids changed.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw first service.pdf (327.0 KB, 117 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Glad you got it sort it out. Just to add My 17 ZCP doesn't have none of the issues described above bc I would had noticed.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 06:38 AM   #7
Tony007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Reeves in Tampa did my alignment at break in svc due to the pulling to the right issue. Now my car is tracking perfectly 100% of the time. They did an amazing job with it. They mentioned that as long as i was under 2000 mi then it would be covered. Not sure if there's any truth to that but that is what they said.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Glad you got it sorted! Hate to hear of these hiccups so soon into ownership.