EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

01-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Anyone else tired of the arguments?

I know I am.

I'm not a current or former E9X M3 owner, so according to many on here, that invalidates my opinion. However, I am a past BMW owner, past sports car owner, and the perfect target demographic for M3 (income and familial status). I am the bullseye set in BMW's scope.

And you know what? I'm sick of the pedantic arguing back and forth about the F80 and F82. Guess what...it has more power than the outgoing car, it's lighter than the outgoing car, has better gas mileage, range and room. I call that an improvement

Is it as much of a change between the E46 and E9X? Don't know, don't really care honestly. Were certain sacrifices made to get those gains above? Yes, but the positives outweigh the negatives IMO....just as they did for all of those who bought the E9X over the E46.

By no means do I think this car is perfect. I think the active sound sucks, and I'm hoping the exhaust note isn't as bad as it sounds on the video. But then again, I've looked at a lot of vehicles for my last two purchases, and this one. And you know what? They ALL have warts. Even at twice the price. Hell, a Panamera Turbo S is stupid fast, but even leaving the mortgage-payment a month pricetag aside, it's ungainly looking and a bit aloof to drive. Even the Aston Martin Rapide has no backseat and the engine is gutless down low.

So folks, instead of beating each other up over 10 seconds at the Ring (and I mean, hell, any scientifically minded person will tell you that 10 seconds in 8 minutes is well within the standard deviation of being the same damn thing) let's just revel in the facts:

BMW makes a 400 plus HP pair of cars that are practical and relative bargains in their field.

They will make BMW money, which will allow them to invest in even more specialized cars.

Sorry, I just don't get the need to turn EVERY SINGLE THREAD into an argument about the E9X vs. the F8X. I've never owned an E9X M3, but I've driven several, and it is sublime. Lovely car, and I would have owned one had the timing been right in my personal life. But it had not been, for many reasons. Now the timing is right for me to buy an M car and I can say that I'm very happy with what is being offered!

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Yes
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Every thread yes, tiring. Posts that starts with "The F8X is this amount ( adjective ) than the old car" is more difficult to keep free from these. It's something that will be with us for the next year, no way around it. The press reviews will for sure be full of it as well. Better to just ignore than in futility try to stop it if it bothers you.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Oh dont worry, soon it will be the 335i M sport and F8X M3 owners going at it...thanks BMW!!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Why argue, both are going to be nice cars for years to come and each car is special in its own place.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Deal
Why argue, both are going to be nice cars for years to come and each car is special in its own place.
My point exactly.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

It's a rigorous workout for moderators, that's for sure.

But you'll have to get used to it; this the nature of the beast. Once we have a "vs..." forum, most of these types of discussions will be moved there. So you will be able to avoid the debates when you wish and go get your fix if you need one as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

It is tiring and a waste of time to wade through pages and pages of crap just to find the tiny pieces of interesting information and discussions of the new cars. People are entitled to their opinions. But please don't add tens of pages of your E9x opinions to every single thread here on the F8x board.

Mods, what are the rules for posting off topic posts to a thread? If we report these off topic posts, would you delete them?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

+1. It seems like most of the threads degenerate into pissing contests due to a handful of folks that never seem to let anything go, no matter how small.
      01-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

It has been this way since the dawn of the internet car/bike forum. It comes with the territory.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Mods, what are the rules for posting off topic posts to a thread? If we report these off topic posts, would you delete them?
Yes, OT posts will typically be removed if reported. Sometimes it's subjective of course, we review the discussion first. And if there is value in the posts, I try to move them somewhere more appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I know I am.

I'm not a current or former E9X M3 owner, so according to many on here, that invalidates my opinion. However, I am a past BMW owner, past sports car owner, and the perfect target demographic for M3 (income and familial status). I am the bullseye set in BMW's scope.

And you know what? I'm sick of the pedantic arguing back and forth about the F80 and F82. Guess what...it has more power than the outgoing car, it's lighter than the outgoing car, has better gas mileage, range and room. I call that an improvement

Is it as much of a change between the E46 and E9X? Don't know, don't really care honestly. Were certain sacrifices made to get those gains above? Yes, but the positives outweigh the negatives IMO....just as they did for all of those who bought the E9X over the E46.

By no means do I think this car is perfect. I think the active sound sucks, and I'm hoping the exhaust note isn't as bad as it sounds on the video. But then again, I've looked at a lot of vehicles for my last two purchases, and this one. And you know what? They ALL have warts. Even at twice the price. Hell, a Panamera Turbo S is stupid fast, but even leaving the mortgage-payment a month pricetag aside, it's ungainly looking and a bit aloof to drive. Even the Aston Martin Rapide has no backseat and the engine is gutless down low.

So folks, instead of beating each other up over 10 seconds at the Ring (and I mean, hell, any scientifically minded person will tell you that 10 seconds in 8 minutes is well within the standard deviation of being the same damn thing) let's just revel in the facts:

BMW makes a 400 plus HP pair of cars that are practical and relative bargains in their field.

They will make BMW money, which will allow them to invest in even more specialized cars.

Sorry, I just don't get the need to turn EVERY SINGLE THREAD into an argument about the E9X vs. the F8X. I've never owned an E9X M3, but I've driven several, and it is sublime. Lovely car, and I would have owned one had the timing been right in my personal life. But it had not been, for many reasons. Now the timing is right for me to buy an M car and I can say that I'm very happy with what is being offered!

You said it perfectly. I bought a 2012 E92 M3 and sold it several months ago to make room for my M4. Both great cars and can't wait for delivery in June (or whenever the thing is delivered). But this back and forth non sense just detracts from the overall forum. It's one thing to state an opinion, but to keep attacking over and over again is boring.

There is another forum that I frequent (Usual Suspects Network) and everybody practices a certain code of ethics and this stuff that occurs here just doesn't fly. I love bimmerpost, but man, some stuff just keeps getting regurgitated. If someone doesn't like something, just don't buy it and buy what you like.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #13
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

If you are a current M3 owner, the biggest argument is a subjective one to yourself as to keep your baby, or set her free and move on to the M4/M3. Not to soapbox weather the redline is x, or the ring time is not much better. People who shed the expense, care and passion in owning an e9x M have only themselves to debate with about which one is better. The cars are both icons that will have beauty in the eye of the beholder
      01-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbockrd View Post
If you are a current M3 owner, the biggest argument is a subjective one to yourself as to keep your baby, or set her free and move on to the M4/M3. Not to soapbox weather the redline is x, or the ring time is not much better. People who shed the expense, care and passion in owning an e9x M have only themselves to debate with about which one is better. The cars are both icons that will have beauty in the eye of the beholder

IMO, rarely does a car come out where it completely renders the previous car obsolete and in need of replacement. It really only happens on very low end cars. Hell, even a 10 year old Accord is better than some new cars on the road today. Just has older infotainment tech.

Pretty much every generation of M3 is still considered a sweet ride in it's own right. The E36 gets short shrift in this country because of the lack of a real M engine, when the real one was available in Europe.

There's no reason for an E9X M3 owner to feel the need to upgrade, unless they just want to. That was the same thing with the E46 to E9X, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Look at all the responses in this thread:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=935237

How many people are voting for this guy to keep the 1M? You know, the one that doesn't have a real M engine, just has a warmed over N54? The one that's nothing more than a hotted up 135i. Or at least that's what many people said before the car came out.

Now look at what people think. Rightly so, too
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Look at all the responses in this thread:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=935237

How many people are voting for this guy to keep the 1M? You know, the one that doesn't have a real M engine, just has a warmed over N54? The one that's nothing more than a hotted up 135i. Or at least that's what many people said before the car came out.

Now look at what people think. Rightly so, too
I've loved that 1M since BMW gave birth to her. If I didn't already have an E92 M3 at the time, I surely would have opted for one.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #17
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

I can't wait until I start pooping on E9X M3s at the track. June can't get here soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #18
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Yes. I'm in the exact same boat as you. I was planning on buying a lightly used E90 ZCP until I saw that the new car would be lighter with more power, and with better fuel mileage. The F8X has similar power, torque, and weight to my old LS3 Corvette. As far as street performance, My Corvette was on another level compared to an E92, and all the numbers indicate the F8X will be similar. That's not to say the E92 isn't a fantastic car. The sound, the steering/handling, the high rpm power . . . based on my personal preferences and these intangibles, I'd take an E92 over my old C6 every time. But trying to justify that decision by down playing the specs of the new car is just a loosing battle.

It seems like there are a few people that show up in every thread to make excuses and make pointless comparisons about a few seconds here or engine sounds or something.

It seems sad to me. If they are so against the F8X, why are they here? Do they have nothing else to do with their time? I want info on the car I'm about to spend $75k on. I don't want to read 10 pages of this BS to get one little sliver of info.

Last edited by Racer20; 01-15-2014 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #19
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
It seems sad to me. If they are so against the F8X, why are they here? Do they have nothing else to do with their time? I want info on the car I'm about to spend $75k on. I don't want to read 10 pages of this BS to get one little sliver of info.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Soon the real owners will scare off the wannabees.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #20
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Absolutely.

BUT I guess with a bunch of petrol heads waiting on a new model....they gotta argue about something....even if it is all more than a little silly.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #21
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
All good expressions of what I've been feeling. I try to stay with posts that have some informational value and not rhetoric. Part of the problem is we're at a stage where no lay person has driven one or seen it in the flesh, so there is conjecture based on skimpy data. Hopefully this dies down as the cars become more real to people. At least arguments will have to be more factual.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #22
Bart@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F95X5M | E46M3 | E92M3 | E60M5

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread