Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
MistaVauros
///M... Nuff Said.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Are you buying an M3/M4 CS?

Just wanted to see how many people are going for the CS as their first M4 or upgrading from an existing M4 to get one. Do you feel it'll be worth taking a loss on your existing M4? Do you even care about the CS?

I'm trying to justify what points to a base price of $90k for the CS.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today" - J. Dean
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP

Same question goes to get the ZCP over the standard. If you got the money... and it makes you happier than owning the the standard or ZCP go ahead! otherwise not at all... i still think it is overpriced like the GTS
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAUROS View Post
Just wanted to see how many people are going for the CS as their first M4 or upgrading from an existing M4 to get one. Do you feel it'll be worth taking a loss on your existing M4? Do you even care about the CS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorleb View Post
Same question goes to get the ZCP over the standard. If you got the money... and it makes you happier than owning the the standard or ZCP go ahead! otherwise not at all... i still think it is overpriced like the GTS
This might give you guys a directional answer
Appreciate 2
      06-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

CS isn't a consideration for me now or when my lease is up.

I'm on the fence about CP when lease is up next year. Also on the fence about getting another F82 or trying F83. I'll need to look at one and drive one to decide if CP is worth it, as I am not entirely convinced on paper even after GG's thread.
      06-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post

I'm on the fence about CP when lease is up next year. Also on the fence about getting another F82 or trying F83. I'll need to look at one and drive one to decide if CP is worth it, as I am not entirely convinced on paper even after GG's thread.
I did a 3 hour run yesterday with about 25 classic porsches, like the james dean type. I don't know if CP woulda helped, i'm only getting it because I don't have it now and wtf the car is already ridiculous. But I gotta say, with the roof down and exposed to the elements and the sounds ... what an awesome experience.

I'm pretty sure that answered your question.
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410885.00
Ibiza3479.50
      06-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

I did a 3 hour run yesterday with about 25 classic porsches, like the james dean type. I don't know if CP woulda helped, i'm only getting it because I don't have it now and wtf the car is already ridiculous. But I gotta say, with the roof down and exposed to the elements and the sounds ... what an awesome experience.

I'm pretty sure that answered your question.
That's pretty much the way I'm thinking about it. But I've got about a year to go back and forth on it, consider at least a dozen other cars, obsess over colors and other trivial matters, and waste many hours on spreadsheets before I need to finalize a decision.
      06-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

I was #1 on my dealer's list but took my deposit back after the car was revealed as DCT only. I'd much rather have a regular M3 or M4 with a proper 6MT, tune, and money still left in my pocket.
Appreciate 4
KevinM2931.00
Elijaih17.00
seis-speed2426.00
      06-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
MistaVauros
///M... Nuff Said.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Finally test drove the M4 today and walked away from the drive feeling neutral in terms of the overall experience. Been a few years since I've driven an M3 and the M4 was stiff like a typical M car. Car had DCT and overall it felt the same as the DCT I had in my previous E92 M3. I have to admit, while driving the car I was wishing it had a manual; pulling paddles or even using the lever felt watered down. The soul I'm use to in an M car wasn't entirely present in the M4. I dunno, the CS might be the ultimate drivers M4 short of the GTS of course, but will it be fully worth the premium is the concern.

Appreciate 1
e30nicole826.00
      06-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

No, I'd get a base m3 and add full coilovers + r comps myself.
Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
Seniorleb524.50
      06-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #10
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Car had DCT and overall it felt the same as the DCT I had in my previous E92 M3.

The soul I'm use to in an M car wasn't entirely present in the M4.
On point #1 - you're one weird dude, because to me the M-DCTs between the E9x and F8x couldn't feel more different. When I first used the F8x, coming off my E9x, I thought it was broken.

On point #2 - you're the 50 millionth person to say that. Other terms used beyond "soulless" are "clinical", "digital", "staid", and "boring". It's a problem with this M4 and quite a few have moved on because of it, especially compared to the E92 which has oodles of personality and not just because of sound.

The good news is, the M4 really comes alive when you push it, but it's a pretty high bar and it's not very predictable, at least not to me, but it does grow on you.

So, for those of us that find it clinical, it can be a little like the Velveteen Rabbit: once you've used it for awhile you come to like it plenty fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 10:16 PM   #11
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I'm holding off to see the prices in the USA for the M4CS, as well as additional magazine reviews (so far reviews seem unanimously very positive). I'm also waiting to see the more reviews and prices for the F90 M5, which I suspect might be priced similar to the M4CS.

I'm tempted by the increased performance/rawness of the M4CS - but if it's going to cost about the same as an F90 M5 - I may as well consider the M5 as well (married with kids, so even though the F90 M5 may not be as track-focused or as raw as the M4CS, it is a hell of a lot more practical, and having over 600 hp is incredibly appealing...

Then again, upcoming college tuition/expenses for the kids, so saving about $20k and getting a ZCP M3 before it is discontinued in 2018 is also appealing. Guess I'm going to hold off til later in 2017 before I make my decision...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #12
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
I'm holding off to see the prices in the USA for the M4CS, as well as additional magazine reviews (so far reviews seem unanimously very positive). I'm also waiting to see the more reviews and prices for the F90 M5, which I suspect might be priced similar to the M4CS.

I'm tempted by the increased performance/rawness of the M4CS - but if it's going to cost about the same as an F90 M5 - I may as well consider the M5 as well (married with kids, so even though the F90 M5 may not be as track-focused or as raw as the M4CS, it is a hell of a lot more practical, and having over 600 hp is incredibly appealing...

Then again, upcoming college tuition/expenses for the kids, so saving about $20k and getting a ZCP M3 before it is discontinued in 2018 is also appealing. Guess I'm going to hold off til later in 2017 before I make my decision...
If ur talking dollars the new M5 will be worth 50% of MSRP in 3 years whereas the CS will be closer to 75%. If you want practical get the 18 M3 ZCP and order an individual color with CCBs.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #13
MistaVauros
///M... Nuff Said.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:

You make a good point about the M5. I feel like I should wait for the reviews of it and see how it fairs. The CS will be nice, but the M5 hitting 0-60 in 3.5/3.4 will be something to behold. I'm coming from a GTR and the M4 felt slow (to me). The M5 would give me some of that supercar feeling back plus the added utility of 4-doors. My CA said weight has been reduced by 130-150 lbs across the entire 5 range. I would have to guess that BMW found some additional weight savings for the M5; I'm hoping the car is around 3900 lbs or less.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 03:32 AM   #14
Mr.Athansios
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: F82 Atlantis Blue One of One

Quote:

In my opinion the CS is more of a collector edition and someone who wants something more of track side than daily. The car is beautiful but, I believe the CP just sits perfectly in the line, as stock the CP is way better than the standard car, even comfortableness wise (Because of the new suspension setting and tune). I wouldn't jump from my CP to the CS frankly, and I don't think it's that bad of an idea to do so if people wanted to, it's a best in it's own right!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #15
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
That's pretty much the way I'm thinking about it. But I've got about a year to go back and forth on it, consider at least a dozen other cars, obsess over colors and other trivial matters, and waste many hours on spreadsheets before I need to finalize a decision.
I've had a bunch of convertibles, but it gets ridiculously hot here in the summer. If the seats had some sort of cooling feature it would be an easier decision.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410885.00
      06-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #16
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I have a deposit down for the fist allocation at my dealer.

I am still waiting for pricing and options packaging for my final decision.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #17
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Quote:
I've had a bunch of convertibles, but it gets ridiculously hot here in the summer. If the seats had some sort of cooling feature it would be an easier decision.
Yeah, I've thought about that. Plus I live West where there are too many bugs at night to drive around with top down. So convertible would mainly be for the winter. Combined with mostly highway driving, not sure it's worth it for me. However, the are some perfect weekend days in the winter that make me wish I had one and since it's a lease I might give one a try out.
      06-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #18
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

Car had DCT and overall it felt the same as the DCT I had in my previous E92 M3.

The soul I'm use to in an M car wasn't entirely present in the M4.
On point #1 - you're one weird dude, because to me the M-DCTs between the E9x and F8x couldn't feel more different. When I first used the F8x, coming off my E9x, I thought it was broken.

On point #2 - you're the 50 millionth person to say that. Other terms used beyond "soulless" are "clinical", "digital", "staid", and "boring". It's a problem with this M4 and quite a few have moved on because of it, especially compared to the E92 which has oodles of personality and not just because of sound.

The good news is, the M4 really comes alive when you push it, but it's a pretty high bar and it's not very predictable, at least not to me, but it does grow on you.

So, for those of us that find it clinical, it can be a little like the Velveteen Rabbit: once you've used it for awhile you come to like it plenty fine.
Well said. I agree completely except I prefer the DCT in the F82 to the DCT in my departed E92.
GrussGott18113.00
      06-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #19
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
True. I had an E46 m3 convertible (along with a few 3's and z4's). Never again.....
'Cane8349.50
      06-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I've thought about that. Plus I live West where there are too many bugs at night to drive around with top down. So convertible would mainly be for the winter. Combined with mostly highway driving, not sure it's worth it for me. However, the are some perfect weekend days in the winter that make me wish I had one and since it's a lease I might give one a try out.
There are bugs everywhere in the summer. Does not matter if you live off of US One or off of the turnpike at Lake Worth Road. While there are a few select days that I miss the convertible, I really did not use the convertible top but a handful of times a year. After having 4 of them, I just stopped buying them. Last one was the E46 m3 and that was 10 years ago. I don't miss them.....
      06-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I agree. I would never pay 100k or more for a m4. At that price point, I'm thinking m5/m6/x5m/x6m.
      06-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #22
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There are bugs everywhere in the summer. Does not matter if you live off of US One or off of the turnpike at Lake Worth Road. While there are a few select days that I miss the convertible, I really did not use the convertible top but a handful of times a year. After having 4 of them, I just stopped buying them. Last one was the E46 m3 and that was 10 years ago. I don't miss them.....
Well if you exit on Lake Worth Road from the Turnpike and follow Lake Worth Road west until it ends... I'm west of that. So this is my exact concern with a convertible - how much will I actually put the top down.