Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

09-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Anyone coded anti-dazzle on a 2018 F82?

It seems some of the modules may be different on the 18's and we are having trouble getting it to work. Anyone have success?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
It seems some of the modules may be different on the 18's and we are having trouble getting it to work. Anyone have success?
Guide found here.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
See my posts in the last few pages in "DIY and Coding Discussions
Adaptive LED lighting turned on-wow." I have done a bunch of analysis around US vs ECE settings to determine the proper GFHB settings for the FLE ECUs on a 2018 M3. FDL coding for the M4 should be the same as the 2018 M3, as it has the same headlights. To make GFHB work, remove 5AP and 8S4 from you FA, VO code the FEM_BODY, KAFAS2 and both FLE ECUs, and then use my FDL coding cheat sheet to FDL Code the FLE ECUs.

Please let me know if that doesn't work. I will remove the F082 series from the cheat sheet if it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
See my posts in the last few pages in "DIY and Coding Discussions
Adaptive LED lighting turned on-wow." I have done a bunch of analysis around US vs ECE settings to determine the proper GFHB settings for the FLE ECUs on a 2018 M3. FDL coding for the M4 should be the same as the 2018 M3, as it has the same headlights. To make GFHB work, remove 5AP and 8S4 from you FA, VO code the FEM_BODY, KAFAS2 and both FLE ECUs, and then use my FDL coding cheat sheet to FDL Code the FLE ECUs.

Please let me know if that doesn't work. I will remove the F082 series from the cheat sheet if it doesn't.
Thank you and Almaretto for your efforts on this (and coding in general). In the coding you reference, will this also enable the front fog lights (aka adverse weather mode) for a MY18? I believe this is part of VLD, but I'm not sure if additional steps are required.

Also you mention coding the KAFAS2 module, will this still apply if you don't have Speed Limit Information?

Thanks again,

Tim
      09-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhatimay View Post
Thank you and Almaretto for your efforts on this (and coding in general). In the coding you reference, will this also enable the front fog lights (aka adverse weather mode) for a MY18? I believe this is part of VLD, but I'm not sure if additional steps are required.

Also you mention coding the KAFAS2 module, will this still apply if you don't have Speed Limit Information?

Thanks again,

Tim
Are you referring to cornering lights as fogs?

You must have LED headlamps with either KAFAS or FLA.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Are you referring to cornering lights as fogs?

You must have LED headlamps with either KAFAS or FLA.
Yes, I remember seeing that with the front fog light button you could utilize the cornering lights as fogs. I believe this was the same or similar to "adverse weather mode" from the BMW marketing materials.

I thought KAFAS only came with speed limit info. Would a MY18 with exec package (including icons and high beam assistant) have the KAFAS or FLA?

Thanks again,

Tim
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I remember seeing that with the front fog light button you could utilize the cornering lights as fogs. I believe this was the same or similar to "adverse weather mode" from the BMW marketing materials.

I thought KAFAS only came with speed limit info. Would a MY18 with exec package (including icons and high beam assistant) have the KAFAS or FLA?

Thanks again,

Tim
KAFAS2:

View post on imgur.com

FLA:

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks again,

Tim
Check the list of ECUs in E-Sys. You should see KAFAS2 and not FLA.

Not sure what you'd accomplish by trying to use front lights as fog lights. The light groups you have consist of two low beams, two high beams and one side marker for left and right side each. You don't have separate cornering lights. The spreadsheet I attached to one of my posts ("F80 GFHB FLE Coding - US to ECE") shows the configuration for each of the different driving conditions that can be coded, e.g. Schlechtwetter. I don't think you can change the light swiveling behavior. All low and high beam lights swivel for cornering (up to the speed specified in C_CLC_CURV_V2 and V3). In addition, the outer high beams swivel in GFHB mode (and the inner high beams switch off) to create the light tunnels for oncoming or preceding traffic. In adverse weather conditions the system switches off the high beams and dims the driver side inner low beam slightly (to 84%), which I guess reduces the light reflection in fog, rain and snow.

Last edited by pmooiweer; 09-26-2017 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Clarify
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
Check the list of ECUs in E-Sys. You should see KAFAS2 and not FLA.

Not sure what you'd accomplish by trying to use front lights as fog lights. The light groups you have consist of two low beams, two high beams and one side marker for left and right side each. You don't have separate cornering lights. The spreadsheet I attached to one of my posts ("F80 GFHB FLE Coding - US to ECE") shows the configuration for each of the different driving conditions that can be coded, e.g. Schlechtwetter. I don't think you can change the light swiveling behavior. All low and high beam lights swivel for cornering (up to the speed specified in C_CLC_CURV_V2 and V3). In addition, the outer high beams swivel in GFHB mode (and the inner high beams switch off) to create the light tunnels for oncoming or preceding traffic. In adverse weather conditions the system switches off the high beams and dims the driver side inner low beam slightly (to 84%), which I guess reduces the light reflection in fog, rain and snow.
Here is LHM coding. DIY: Using Adaptive LED Cornering Lamps as Fog lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #10
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Right, but the 2018 F80/F82 don't have the FLM modules. Instead of separate cornering lights the low/high beams swivel as you turn the wheel. Check the FLE settings in Group 3006 for all of the LMxx_Name values. None of them are set to 0A, 0B or 0C, which refer to cornering lights 1 thru 3. The light components for LM01 thru LM08 (skipping LM06, which is unused) are 04 (HB1), 02 (LB1), 01 (LB2), 0D (side marker), 05 (HB2), 07 (daytime driving lights) and 10 (indicator light).
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #11
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35is

Can anyone in NJ area help me with this, I have done other coding but just need little assistance with the LED adaptive lights. 2018 F80
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #12
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalk776 View Post
Can anyone in NJ area help me with this, I have done other coding but just need little assistance with the LED adaptive lights. 2018 F80
Coding alone isn't sufficient. There are also physical locking plugs on the headlamps as well as FSC, Functional Safety Release Checksum (FuSi), and a new pesky Geo-Fencing limitation (added via OTA).
Appreciate 2
audioMeth220.00
Almaretto2372.50
      11-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #13
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 S4 Avant, F80 M3, F31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Coding alone isn't sufficient. There are also physical locking plugs on the headlamps as well as FSC, Functional Safety Release Checksum (FuSi), and a new pesky Geo-Fencing limitation (added via OTA).

What about having a US spec car in the EU, would the geo-fence still be a thing? I read in other threads you might have found a way around these things, I am anxiously awaiting a possible solution you may have. I am assuming the physical locking plugs might be able to be defeated, but the FSC, FuSi and the geo-fence would be tall obstacles to get around.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #14
jimmydick
Boner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 AW ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalk776 View Post
I'm unfamiliar with these obstructions. Why are they not referenced in other threads? Am I missing something? I have NGHB enabled on my 2018. Maybe I am confused.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #15
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35is

1st I heard of those things but that went over my head
Appreciate 0