proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #287
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis07r View Post
Deposit placed for the QV after my test drive this morning. Great car, the reviews were spot on. Interior was nicer than expected though I believe marginally smaller back seats than the m3.
Wow, another convert! Congrats, Man! Driving IS believing.

See you over at the Giulia Forum very soon. The folks over there are a very friendly and collegial bunch of car enthusiasts. Be sure say “Hi” when you take delivery and post up a pic. What color and options does your car have?

Last edited by mcc3456; 06-02-2018 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #288
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Lol, Captain unknown dude and MCC3456 active in the same thread and both apparently off their Lithium. Love it!

That white QV looks pretty good though. First one I have seen that I kind of like.
Grown up and mature comment there, keep up the god work☺️
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #289
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
Wow, another convert! Congrats, Man! Driving IS believing.

See you over at the Giulia Forum very soon. The folks over there are a very friendly and collegial bunch of car enthusiasts. Be sure say “Hi” when you take delivery and post up a pic. What color and options does your car have?
On here is a few namecalling unsecure unmature people, just strange how they even come to think on acting in that way.
Well its Internet ☺️
God luck on the new car.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      06-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #290
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Unknown GT4 View Post
Grown up and mature comment there, keep up the god work☺️
My apologies brother. You just get excited about and enjoy your cars which is pretty dang cool the some stuff is perhaps lost in translation due to the ESL thing. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #291
nemesis07r
Rep
Drives: Car

Thanks all for the feedback and well wishes. I have posted my thoughts on both the comp pack m3 vs quadrifoglio on the giulia forum, but if any bimmer members that want me to copy and paste here let me know.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      06-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #292
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

Very much accepted! Thanks, I just try to enjoy my cars and give my personal feedback.
Alfa feels special and I am keen to get it on track to see If my positive feedback could continue. I would guess, but not sure untill i try. I guess thats the difference vs many others, I drive and try cars then give feedback instead of listen to car magazine guys.
Alla god👍🏻

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
My apologies brother. You just get excited about and enjoy your cars which is pretty dang cool the some stuff is perhaps lost in translation due to the ESL thing. My bad.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      06-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #293
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

6MT is NOT available on the Alpha. That's a deal killer for me. Save the manuals.
Appreciate 1
KevinM2935.50
      06-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #294
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
6MT is NOT available on the Alpha. That's a deal killer for me. Save the manuals.
Unfortunately for you, you’re running out of options. Progress is the way of the world. Lastly, yes, you are right, it is the Alpha in the segment.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #295
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Unfortunately for you, you’re running out of options. Progress is the way of the world.
True, but at least for now, there are options, which will only continue as long as those of us who enjoy them buy them. Of course, then there will be the used market.

As for progress, you are correct, which is why even driving cars yourself will be a thing of the past for most consumers.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 2
jninja514.50
minn1914034.50
      06-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #296
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately for you, you’re running out of options. Progress is the way of the world.
Automatic frees up your right arm so you can scratch your vagina.
Appreciate 1
jninja514.50
      06-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #297
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately for you, you're running out of options. Progress is the way of the world.
yep, that's why i got the dct. itchy vagina. should prolly get it checked out.
      06-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #298
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Well, that explains why you got one.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #299
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
True, but at least for now, there are options, which will only continue as long as those of us who enjoy them buy them. Of course, then there will be the used market.

As for progress, you are correct, which is why even driving cars yourself will be a thing of the past for most consumers.
Unfortunately, if even just a fraction of those who absolutely demand manuals actually bought one, they wouldn’t be in danger of extinction.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #300
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Unfortunately, if even just a fraction of those who absolutely demand manuals actually bought one, they wouldn’t be in danger of extinction.
Right. That's why I'm doing my part. Three BMWs, all manuals.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 2
mcc3456332.00
minn1914034.50
      06-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #301
nemesis07r
Rep

It's my daily so it would be dct or auto. When I get my Porsche it'll be manual
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      06-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #302
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Getting to the issue of the Giulia Quadrifoglio , my question is more a matter of what niche it fills. I don't doubt that it's an impressive car. I generally like the styling, and I think the interior is nice, despite the criticism to the contrary. I also believe it's probably an absolute blast to drive, even though I haven't actually experienced it.

My issues though are:

The reputed abhorrent reliability.

The lack of established dealer network.

It's a relatively rare, unknown car, at least in the US.

Now taking into consideration that it's still a four door, midsize sedan, I'm left wondering what incentive I have to want this car. Sure, it's fun to drive, but being a four door sedan, I also need it to be reliable, and be able to depend on a network of dealerships or garages knowledgeable about the car. Basically, a four door has to have some degree of practicality and reliability. If I'm looking for strictly a fun car, I then have many other options to choose from. If I compare the Giulia to other, comparable four door mid size sport sedans, it comes up short on being a car I can depend on for dd. It might be unfair to judge the car based on alpha's reputed poor reliability, but it's very difficult to ignore that too.

I'm not bashing the car, I'm just bringing up my honest opinion. Like I said, it's style and performance intrigues me, but I have a hard time seeing past the reputation. It'll be telling to hear, over the course of ownership, from those who purchased one. Maybe it's worth stopping by their forum on occasion to check how the collective experience has been over time.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #303
nemesis07r
Rep

I had the same gripes and hesitation as you did initially in regards to the reliability of Alfa which is why I didn't even consider the car until last week. But doing a little more reading and research I noticed most issues were software related and usually fixed easily and in a short amount of time, most of which was a simple restart. Secondly those issues were on early models and alfa has done some software updates to curb these gremlins. Moreover I'm getting a 2018 so hopefully even more of those gremlins are ironed out. I'm going to give alfa a chance and wish for the best.

As for dealer network, I can definitely understand that issue from your perspective. Fortunately for me, I have 2 which are relatively close so not a factor for me.

I actually kind of like that most people wont know the car. I welcome the idea of being a bit different from the more mainstream brands and having a bit of a unicorn. Maybe it's because of that, which makes the alfa pull at your heartstrings.

Like you, if I were to buy something strictly for weekend use and for fun I wouldn't be looking at the alfa, nor m3. I'd be aiming for a porsche, or maybe even McLaren, but the fact is, this will be my DD so I need 4 doors, but I also want something I can enjoy and have fun in. As stated before I'm going to give alfa a try and be optimistic. I sure hope my gamble pays off.

The reputation is definitely a hurdle you'd have to look past, but that's what I'm doing. Taking a leap and I've been looking and reading the giulia forums and for the most part people have been elated and pleased with their purchase.
Appreciate 2
mcc3456332.00
Fuller1216.50
      06-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #304
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Getting to the issue of the Giulia Quadrifoglio , my question is more a matter of what niche it fills. I don't doubt that it's an impressive car. I generally like the styling, and I think the interior is nice, despite the criticism to the contrary. I also believe it's probably an absolute blast to drive, even though I haven't actually experienced it.

My issues though are:

The reputed abhorrent reliability.

The lack of established dealer network.

It's a relatively rare, unknown car, at least in the US.

Now taking into consideration that it's still a four door, midsize sedan, I'm left wondering what incentive I have to want this car. Sure, it's fun to drive, but being a four door sedan, I also need it to be reliable, and be able to depend on a network of dealerships or garages knowledgeable about the car. Basically, a four door has to have some degree of practicality and reliability. If I'm looking for strictly a fun car, I then have many other options to choose from. If I compare the Giulia to other, comparable four door mid size sport sedans, it comes up short on being a car I can depend on for dd. It might be unfair to judge the car based on alpha's reputed poor reliability, but it's very difficult to ignore that too.

I'm not bashing the car, I'm just bringing up my honest opinion. Like I said, it's style and performance intrigues me, but I have a hard time seeing past the reputation. It'll be telling to hear, over the course of ownership, from those who purchased one. Maybe it's worth stopping by their forum on occasion to check how the collective experience has been over time.
Stop listening to the fools who keep regurgitating misinformation on this forum without having ever driven, let alone owned one. Below is newly started high mileage, high reliability thread from Giulia Forum.

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/55...-register.html

The “reliability issues” are not real “mechanical issues nor reliability issues” and are solely related to like 3-4 minor issues that happened around the US re-launch:

1.) Software was quickly updated to address Key remote starter/auto stop-start conflict, which would not allow car to restart if Remote Start Button on key was used and then Auto Stop-start engaged to shut-off engine. Only a few cars effected, simple mandatory software update. Alfa USA verbally called each owner to schedule appts and sent hand written thank you notes following service. Problem since eliminated.

2.) Rear window water leak...only on those cars that had their windows tinted. Rubber seal obviously damaged by tint installers, but was a recurring issue for those getting tint that would drip water right onto stereo amp in trunk. Since has been solve with a very minor fix, and customers warned of risks when improperly apply tint.

3.) Car will engage into limp home mode (by design) on those dopes who intentially left foot brake car at track while simultaneously accelerating when using Race Mode. Race Mode turns off all safety aids, but simultaneously left foot braking and hitting throttle initiates an Electronic Throttle Warning light. This is NOT a mechanical issue, just user error. The manual warns against it as it disrupts the proper operation of very advanced (Ferrari-derived) torque vectoring system. It is a safety feature that is intentionally programmed into the car, NOT a mechanical issue. Code is cleared with a simple restart.

4.) A few cars that sat at port or on dealer lots for a long time have experienced mice chewing on a main wiring harness that is insulated with a soy-based covering. It is a very common issue for all manufacturers, and even happens to my home central A/C system every other few years.

That is basically it, yet a tremendous amount of drama has been made of the Electronic Throttle Warning light coming on and the early remote start software conflict. Please realize that car journalists are complete morons who totally beat on test cars and rarely ever get the correct operation right in articles. How many times have you seen them misquote something on a new car during a car review video or magazine article?

Regarding dealer network, it’s variable. My local servicing dealer is also a Lamborghini, Maserati, Bentley, Rolls Royce dealer, yet the dealer I purchased my car from is an Alfa/Fiat/Kia dealer, so just cherry pick who you do business with. All manufacturers have both strong and weak dealers in their network. Just a fact of life.

So in a nutshell, your concerns are a bit overblown. My Alfa through its first 16 months has already been more reliable than my F80 M3 was...so that real life owner experience has to be considered too. Drive one for yourself and you’ll quickly understand what all the positive hub bub is about.

Last edited by mcc3456; 06-05-2018 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      06-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #305
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis07r View Post
I had the same gripes and hesitation as you did initially in regards to the reliability of Alfa which is why I didn't even consider the car until last week. But doing a little more reading and research I noticed most issues were software related and usually fixed easily and in a short amount of time, most of which was a simple restart. Secondly those issues were on early models and alfa has done some software updates to curb these gremlins. Moreover I'm getting a 2018 so hopefully even more of those gremlins are ironed out. I'm going to give alfa a chance and wish for the best.

As for dealer network, I can definitely understand that issue from your perspective. Fortunately for me, I have 2 which are relatively close so not a factor for me.

I actually kind of like that most people wont know the car. I welcome the idea of being a bit different from the more mainstream brands and having a bit of a unicorn. Maybe it's because of that, which makes the alfa pull at your heartstrings.

Like you, if I were to buy something strictly for weekend use and for fun I wouldn't be looking at the alfa, nor m3. I'd be aiming for a porsche, or maybe even McLaren, but the fact is, this will be my DD so I need 4 doors, but I also want something I can enjoy and have fun in. As stated before I'm going to give alfa a try and be optimistic. I sure hope my gamble pays off.

The reputation is definitely a hurdle you'd have to look past, but that's what I'm doing. Taking a leap and I've been looking and reading the giulia forums and for the most part people have been elated and pleased with their purchase.
I loved both my M3 and was an Alfa skeptic myself too, especially because my M3 was generally reliable and was only 24 months into my 36 month lease, but I now know I made the right decision. It has been a much more exciting car to own and drive than my M3 was...and trust me, that’s a real compliment. Both the M3 and Quadrifoglio are great cars, and there are definitely different stroke for different folks, but for those who have given the Alfa a fair chance, they are tickled pink with how it performs every single day and have not had any of the issues that are so vocally regurgitated on this Forum.
Appreciate 1
jlhymb44.00
      06-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #306
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Test drove both the Alfa QF and an M3 CP, finally picked the M. It’s my answer to an M5 without the wallet emptied. But have highly resigned myself to the Alfa QV when it hits around 2020, as the QF was what I wanted to feel again but not till a 2 door version. Nice work Alfa, welcome back!
      06-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #307
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Test drove both the Alfa QF and an M3 CP, finally picked the M. It’s my answer to an M5 without the wallet emptied. But have highly resigned myself to the Alfa QV when it hits around 2020, as the QF was what I wanted to feel again but not till a 2 door version. Nice work Alfa, welcome back!
Congrats, and thanks for trying it out. Can’t go wrong with either car. Love mine, but will be joining you when the GTV Coupe hits the ground...hopefully sooner than 2020.

Last edited by mcc3456; 06-06-2018 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #308
Manbearpigbear
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Saw one in real life. Front looked better than expected, but side view was worse than in pics. Looked very short
Appreciate 0