EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

Closed Thread

05-27-2017, 01:08 AM   #45
RPChan
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 HT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAUROS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPChan View Post
You have never owned a Porsche and you want to start with a new GT3? I just looked online and on Cars dot com there are 218 GT3's for sale in the U.S. today. So if you add in Rennlist and others there are probably 300 GT3's for sale. I go to 4-5 track events every year and there are usually four to five GT3's at every event. Not exactly rare. Cool car sure but most of them have been sold twice. Great track car but not the car you want to drive your significant other to dinner in. Nor do you want to drive it across country. They are plentiful though just go buy a used one.

Comparing these two cars makes no sense. There is nothing about them that is similar. I have driven BMW's all my life. I had a few 944 Turbos when they came out in the 80's. Fun cars. I too had never owned a 911 so I bought a Carrara 4S. Beautiful car. Comfortable car. Sounded great. Drove it on a few trips and I couldn't wait to get out of it. I actually kept it five years because I thought it would grow on me. I decided to sell it last Christmas and sold it in 4 days. The new owner loves it and I haven't missed it for a second. I will never own another 911.

Yes, I own a GTS. I also own a GT4. Again nothing similar about them. In my opinion the GT4 is the best Porsche ever made. If they ,make the GT4RS with the 4.0 engine it will be incredible. If someone gave me a GT3 I would sell it and buy a GT4 and pocket close to $100k.

I guess what I am saying is if you want a Porsche then buy a Porsche. Unless you are planning on track days I would never buy a GT3. I like the rarity of the GTS as there are only 300 in the U.S. In five years there will be only 300 in the US. The volume of GT3's continues to grow. So yes ur decision really is do you want a Porsche that you can buy virtually anytime or a GTS that isn't going to get easier to buy at some point in the future. Maybe now there are a few available but the cars here are going to go the way of the Z8. Probably a third of the US allotted Z8's have made it back to Europe as the deals are better here than there.

Good luck.
Damn. That's some harsh perspective. I'm going into the GT3 with the intention of driving it on the road 75% of the time and 25% of the time at the track. If dropping $150K on it will ultimately be a waste if I'm not tracking it often, then which car between the GT4 and the GTS would you recommend? I have to be able to enjoy the car on the road or else I won't buy it (and will probably get another GTR, lol).

I'm scheduled to test drive a GT3 tomorrow and will test drive the GTS some time next week. GT4 test drive might be a bit harder to come by unless I find one local.
You will get great perspective if you drive both cars within a week. I suspect you will like the ride of the GT3 on city streets over that of the GTS. Probably the same on the track if you could test there too. Again though it is apples to oranges. There are many variations of the GT3 available. Only one M4 GTS. Both very cool. Both built with the track in mind. Drive them both and buy what you like. You will be one of the few buyers on the planet that got to drive both of these before buying them. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #46
EB166
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 (Azzurite Black II)

If you can get an allocation for it, go 2018 gt3
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #47
kevinlpl
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

What a problem!!!

Bummer, GTS or GT3...

You gotta laugh at yourself. I do laugh at myself. What a great problem to have. Most people in this country are living where they don't want to live, driving what they don't want to drive, working where they don't want to work.

They are all great options. Whichever way you choose to go, it will be a blast!

If money doesn't matter, call a bunch of Porsche dealers until one sells you a 2018 GT3 allocation. The cheapest I found was 20k over. Then order it exactly as you want.

Otherwise buy a GTS right now for probably 5k under, save 50k, drive it and then sell it in two years for close to what you paid, and buy the '18 GT3 at its original MSRP.

You asked.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #48
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M

I'm not really sure a GTS and a GT3 are in the same exact league especially for more of an everyday car as I heard the GTS is rough and also I believe the GT3 puts up better numbers in almost every category. If price isn't an issue I think the GT3 is the way to go and your comment about the GT4 diluting porsche is just wrong. Porsche enthusiasts wanted the cayman to have more power for decades and now the gt4 is extremely competitive and is arguably one of the better track cars for the money. With some add ons the GT4 will give some serious cars a run for their money. Plus a lot of people are straight dedicated to 911's and the same with cayman's. I can't lie I'm definitely a porsche guy but also own an M3 so to me these are the 2 best brands to look into for almost anything. I would take a brand new GT4 over a GTS anyday especially for the money.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 11:29 PM   #49
smh_amg_m4gts
Faster on 2wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAUROS View Post
I hear ya. Very tough decision between a GTS and GT3. Did the GTS release during the original maintenance warranty (4yr/50K) or is it under the new one (3yr/36K)?

4/50k.

I was in the same boat, but compared to paying $200k+ for a GT3 (local dealer quote), $134k seemed more reasonable and carried the exclusivity feel.

I don't think you can go wrong either way IMO.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread