ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
CHEKM4TE
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM F82 M4 6MT

Springs V Coilovers | Linear V Progressive

The front wheel gap on my m4 is disgusting.

To be honest, i spent the last hour combing through this forum trying to find out what my best option is.

I want to lower the car but not too aggressively, and i want something that won't harm any other suspension components pre-maturely and avoid a voided warranty on those parts

I love the look of the m4 lowered on eibach springs, but then I'm reading that progressive springs are bad for the shocks.

H&Rs are linear, but tend to be bouncy as some users have mentioned.

The KW HAS are also progressive but have popping noises ??

Im really confused, do coil overs eliminate these problems ? or would eibach springs be fine and i wouldn't have any concern of bottoming out ?

Im sure there are plenty of other members on here that have similar concerns/questions

I'd appreciate someone with expertise or experience with running any of the above setups to comment and clear the air for virgin suspension modders like myself!

THANKS!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Each will have it's pros and cons.

Coilovers typically have better habits since they are designed together and usually don't have to compromise compatibility with OEM hardware beyond mounting. Depending on your needs they are customizable for your tastes.

But you'll have to fiddle with them to get them right. Setting ride height, corner balancing, finding your dampening settings that suit your needs, etc. Some Coilover setups don't play nice with certain wheel diameters and offsets. Not sure if this is a problem on the F8X as it was on the E92.

If you're just doing ride height/cosmetic as your primary motivator I'd go with springs. Something like the Spec R (if they ever get released!!!!!!) would be ideal IMO. Not too aggressive in drop, Linear, and developed to perform with OEM dampers and EDC.

I'm usually against progressive springs for BMW's. They tend to crash against the Bump Stops when they load up.

From cost/benefit I don't see the appeal of Coilover setup for a street driven car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
...Something like the Spec R (if they ever get released!!!!!!) would be ideal IMO. Not too aggressive in drop, Linear, and developed to perform with OEM dampers and EDC.
X 2!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

kw do not have popping when installed correctly. the popping is most likely from the sway bar bolt not being fully tight on the front shocks. I had to use after market nuts to get them to go fully on. they are a little stiffer than I had hoped but close enough to stock imo
Appreciate 0