Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

06-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
jaysant1
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Stock Contis on Track Day

Hey for those of you who have tracked you m4 what did you think of the stock tires? Are the good enough for a track day event or should i get something new before even thinking of tracking the car. It's more or less just a casual event but I would like to push the car a bit. Opinions appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
jeffucd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

I actually liked the stock tires before I swapped them out for a stickier set. They squeal and give up grip progressively until their limit and are predictable. The Contis will be fine for a casual day mixed in with a few hot laps here and there. If you're pushing all day then you'll start to see wear on the outside shoulders before the insides. That being said, their shoulders are harder than the PSS and will stand up to that specific punishment better. Once you do get heat into them though they will wear away quickly in the middle tread. You'll know if you did when you're driving back home and hear loud smacks as the melted rubber fling off.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

I initially perceived the stock contis to be greasy however once they get some real heat in them they do stick; they're also better suited for drifting as they chunk less than the pilot super sports.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 05:50 AM   #4
jaysant1
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like they should pretty much be fine for the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 04:25 AM   #5
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysant1 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like they should pretty much be fine for the day.
One day and that's about all you will get out of them. All the tires experienced melting and uneven wear, but the front left had no shoulder left after a track day. That was tires with on 4K miles on them and looked new before that day. I took it to one more track night after that but I didn't push it hard.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
wigaster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLATom View Post
One day and that's about all you will get out of them. All the tires experienced melting and uneven wear, but the front left had no shoulder left after a track day. That was tires with on 4K miles on them and looked new before that day. I took it to one more track night after that but I didn't push it hard.
Negative ghost rider. I got several days out of mine and was definitely over driving the tires. They were toast by the end but if you destroy them in one day you are doing something wrong
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 10:29 PM   #7
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

I've completed three track days on my stock Contis. I am starting to experience significant wear on the shoulders of the front two tires, but I should be able to get one more track weekend out of them. Everyone around here shits on the Contis but I am actually pretty happy with their performance (for all-season stock tires). And as others have said they give you plenty of feedback before they break traction which is helpful.
Appreciate 0