Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #45
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Sport plus all the time. That rev match is just terrible and doesn't belong on these kind of cars IMO.
What he said!
      03-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #46
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I only drive in Sport + the only way to drive and enjoy the M4.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #47
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Confession, in the 6 months of owning the car I have yet to ever put it in Sport+ (to be honest, I forgot about it). I've been a big fan of revmatch feature. I'd love if it were available in sport+
      03-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #48
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

I ended up liking the rev match feature more than I thought I would, so I mostly stay in Sport. I have been playing with Sport+ a little more lately though.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #49
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanLluch View Post
There's no additional power with SPORT+ compared with SPORT, it's just a different throttle mapping. Even in EFFICIENT mode above 3000 rpm you have all the available power if you push the pedal fully. How's that everybody seems to think otherwise?.
See excerpt of interview with M Engineer Poggel:

So what are the differences between the EFFICIENT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes?

In the SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, the waste gates remain closed under partial load and the mass flow is routed through the turbines, to ensure that the turbo chargers are already rotating at a higher base speed even in standby. Moreover, certain special engine control functions are brought into play that accelerate activation of the turbo chargers. This means that the car responds more closely to the accelerator in SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes.

Another important point is that we normally have to take the drive train into consideration when it comes to building up torque. As a rule, the engine is able to build up torque at a speed that is much faster than that with which the drive train can cope. You can imagine that the drive train then begins to behave like a torsion spring, which is first stretched out and then vibrates, resulting in juddering. To prevent such judders, it is necessary to dampen the engine's build up of momentum to allow a harmonic progression of its response characteristics.

The rigid drive train of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4 is, however, optimised for a fast build-up of momentum, similar to a racing car, with a carbon fibre drive shaft, rear axle rigidly bolted to the body, suitably dimensioned drive shafts, etc. This means that the rigid drive train is also an important factor of the spontaneous entrance of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4. In EFFICIENT mode, everything is more levelled out, with a high orientation towards comfort. In stark contrast is the SPORT PLUS mode, which pays absolutely no attention to any comfort factors. In SPORT PLUS, all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal – but this also requires someone behind the wheel who really knows what he is doing. In SPORT PLUS, everything is transmitted as sharply as a knife, in terms of what the engineering can do to facilitate fast lap times – whether in the engine, transmission, chassis or control systems.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25016.50
jzmundy991.00
      03-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #50
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post

In the SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, the waste gates remain closed under partial load and the mass flow is routed through the turbines, to ensure that the turbo chargers are already rotating at a higher base speed even in standby. Moreover, certain special engine control functions are brought into play that accelerate activation of the turbo chargers. This means that the car responds more closely to the accelerator in SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes.

Another important point is that we normally have to take the drive train into consideration when it comes to building up torque. As a rule, the engine is able to build up torque at a speed that is much faster than that with which the drive train can cope. You can imagine that the drive train then begins to behave like a torsion spring, which is first stretched out and then vibrates, resulting in juddering. To prevent such judders, it is necessary to dampen the engine's build up of momentum to allow a harmonic progression of its response characteristics.

The rigid drive train of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4 is, however, optimised for a fast build-up of momentum, similar to a racing car, with a carbon fibre drive shaft, rear axle rigidly bolted to the body, suitably dimensioned drive shafts, etc. This means that the rigid drive train is also an important factor of the spontaneous entrance of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4. In EFFICIENT mode, everything is more levelled out, with a high orientation towards comfort. In stark contrast is the SPORT PLUS mode, which pays absolutely no attention to any comfort factors. In SPORT PLUS, all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal – but this also requires someone behind the wheel who really knows what he is doing. In SPORT PLUS, everything is transmitted as sharply as a knife, in terms of what the engineering can do to facilitate fast lap times – whether in the engine, transmission, chassis or control systems.
Thanks for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #51
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
There's no additional power with SPORT+ compared with SPORT, it's just a different throttle mapping. Even in EFFICIENT mode above 3000 rpm you have all the available power if you push the pedal fully. How's that everybody seems to think otherwise?.
Quote:

Re Sport/Sport+, he refers to: (1) the closed wastegate routing max flow to the turbines accelerating activation of the turbos resulting in the car responding more closely to the accelerator; and (2) all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal.

All of these points to faster response time and the engine being more responsive to accelerator input. But I don't see where in this interview excerpt where Poggel said you get "additional power" in Sport+?
Appreciate 1
Pic18303.50
      03-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #52
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Re Sport/Sport+, he refers to: (1) the closed wastegate routing max flow to the turbines accelerating activation of the turbos resulting in the car responding more closely to the accelerator; and (2) all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal.

All of these points to faster response time and the engine being more responsive to accelerator input. But I don't see where in this interview excerpt where Poggel said you get "additional power" in Sport+?
Joan can't read...........and Joan reads things that weren't stated. Everybody here is talking about induction noise and response. I can't recall anybody saying anything about more power. Gotta love forum reading comprehension.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #53
Slimjim8201
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 - 6MT YMB

I use the following settings:
  • M1
    • Sport Throttle
    • Comfort Dampers
    • Sport Steering
    • DSC on
  • M2
    • Sport+ Throttle
    • Sport Dampers
    • Sport Steering
    • MDM

I find that Sport and Sport+ are much more similar to each other than Efficient and Sport. Both have similar exhaust flap functionality, and both have a LOT more turbo spool noise. I do find that Sport+ has some interesting "extras" acoustically-speaking. Lift off throttle produces more flatulence, on-throttle seams ever so slightly louder and spool is a bit more pronounced.

For daily driving, I use my M1 setting (sport throttle) 95% of the time. I'm not a fan of the lazy efficient throttle mapping and personally, I find that it delays the rate at which revs drop on upshifts. So much so that I struggle to shift smoothly unless I actively shift at say, 50% of the speed that I'd like. Efficient is for really, really lazy driving. Sport just feels "right" for normal driving.

Regarding Sport+, if I'm feeling particularly racy, I'll switch it over to M2 and this allows me to do my own, unassisted shifting (which I want when I'm shifting quickly). In this mode, I'm much more likely to be braking hard while downshifting, which much better suits heal and toeing vs. very light braking in normal driving. I don't notice any additional power in Sport+.
      03-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #54
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrsteve View Post
Confession, in the 6 months of owning the car I have yet to ever put it in Sport+ (to be honest, I forgot about it). I've been a big fan of revmatch feature. I'd love if it were available in sport+
Oh you need to try it. It really brings the car up a notch for sure!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #55
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

I use SPORT all the time, and I love the rev-matching feature. This SHOULD be the default mode for throttle response on all F8x cars. (Are you listening BMW?)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #56
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

I've only had the car for about 3 weeks, but I find myself driving in sport most of the time. However, I do appreciate the response and increased...theater...of sport+. I drove to work this morning in sport+ and there is a noticeable difference in induction and exhaust noises.
      03-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #57
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Agree on the throttle map, disagree on the steering. There is very little steering input in this car but what there is comes through on comfort mode more so than other "sportier" modes. an M instructor told me to always keep it in comfort to maximize feedback and so far I agree with him. all a matter of preference however.
I tried comfort steering, it's too "powered" and soft, when you turn the wheel at speed there's slack, to your point it's preference, but I'd rather have steering sensitivity that accurately and immediatly tracks/responds to the movement of hands (in equal ratio) vs. a delay of some kind, seems counterintuitive. As for feeling, i dunno, I feel plenty coming from the wheel with sport+, but I also have the car lowered, so that's probably adding to it somehow.

Last edited by S65V8; 03-22-2017 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #58
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I drove almost exclusively in Sport for the first 8 months but lately I have been in Sport+. The extra crackles and Braps have made the car feel new again. But I'd love the option to rev match in sport +
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #59
JoanLluch
Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 Comp M6T (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Joan can't read...........and Joan reads things that weren't stated. Everybody here is talking about induction noise and response. I can't recall anybody saying anything about more power. Gotta love forum reading comprehension.
I must have read it in another thread and then posted here for some reason. Sorry to have bothered you, specially after I have already received a proper answer. Btw, before you get to false conclusions with all that boldness around my name, you must know I am a male. My name English translation is John, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #60
JoanLluch
Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 Comp M6T (2020)

Quote:
Ok, this is a quote of what I read above in this thread

"Additionally, the Chief Engineer for BMW M did an interview that was posted on here in which he described that the full power, through boost, wastegate settings, etc., is only attained in Sport + mode."

So that's what I read. Oh, and I'm sorry that my "reading comprehension" is not apparently in line to forum required standards. Yes.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:23 PM   #61
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly6elly View Post
Hmmm ok. I definitely don't hear any difference, but I've been wrong before. Perhaps it's different if you have ZCP? I actually remember testing it out few times but I heard no difference... even if there is difference, it's so minor I wasn't able to tell.
I have the M Performance exhaust on a 2015. With that, most of the sound of Sport and Sport+ is the same except that you definitely get more backfire "BARRRAACCCKKKK!!!" sounds with Sport+

For me; I drive efficient mode when I'm cold starting in the morning and leaving my neighborhood (Sport or Sport+ are just too damn loud for 5am on a cold start).y

Lazy driving/commuting I'm in Sport

Engaged driving I heel/toe it in Sport+

Probably spend 70% of time in sport, 30% of time in sport+
That's almost me exactly as well.

The louder overruns in sport+ is from the anti-lag in that mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #62
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
For me it depends on how much braking and shifting I need to do at the same time. Sport is nice with the rev match for that. Another factor is what kind of shoes I am wearing. Kind of hard to heel toe in some AE's.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #63
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I must have read it in another thread and then posted here for some reason. Sorry to have bothered you, specially after I have already received a proper answer. Btw, before you get to false conclusions with all that boldness around my name, you must know I am a male. My name English translation is John, right?
Did I call you a female? That's right. I didn't. I just didn't type out your full username (...call me lazy!). I'm aware that Joan is John much in the same way that Joćo is John in Brazil.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #64
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

LOL. Thanks for some late afternoon amusement guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #65
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, this is a quote of what I read above in this thread

"Additionally, the Chief Engineer for BMW M did an interview that was posted on here in which he described that the full power, through boost, wastegate settings, etc., is only attained in Sport + mode."

So that's what I read. Oh, and I'm sorry that my "reading comprehension" is not apparently in line to forum required standards. Yes.
Apologies, that was me that said it and i mispoke. I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #66
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

I have gotten my best launches (as judged by the M laptimer app on my phone when connected to the car, not 100% accurate), in efficient mode, as the car doesnt respond quite so quickly and I better maintain traction. Irrespective of that fact, and my love of the rev matching feature, i drive 99% in sport + and only drop down when on a long road trip so I dont have to stop for gas every 40 miles...
Appreciate 0