BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

09-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #111
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBeamer View Post
Does anyone know if two regular sized luggage bags (checked-in size) would fit the trunk of a M4?
The best way to know if your luggage and everything you're going to take on your trip will fit is to take everything that you're going to take on your trip to your dealer and test-fit it all in an M4. The goal is for the luggage and almost everything to fit in the trunk without having to fold down the seats and making your luggage visible. You can put your carry-ons in the back seat or behind the front seats.

We did this for both of our Euro Deliveries. You don't want any surprises! For the first delivery of my wife's 2011 335is Coupe, we discovered that our two "regular" 26" TravelPro suitcases didn't fit in the trunk efficiently, side by side. We went to a local department store, bought a 24" TravelPro for a ridiculous price, went back to the dealer, and found that the 26" and the 24" fit perfectly side-by-side. (All three suitcases fit with plenty of room in my wife's previous car!) Then we took the 24" suitcase back to the department store and returned it and ordered it online for half the price. Note that the fit will be tighter when the suitcases are packed and will be even tighter on the return trip, as you will add more stuff.

We used the same suitcases for the Euro Delivery of my M4 and were surprised to find out that the fit empty was tighter in the M4, possibly due to the wider wheel wells. Everything fit fine at delivery though.
Thanks but the dealership i am buying from is on the otherside of the country. I really don't want to test it on the local dealership who have tried more than once pull a fast one on me, I don't like giving them the time of day anymore .

We plan to take one 26" and a bit if larger carry-on bag as our checked bags and two smaller carry-ons , so we should be ok.

Thanks for the suggestions and details . Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #112
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I got an email from LogInOut that I can drop the car off after 4pm by appointment for 50EUR. Since we can maximize our day , I was thinking of using that option and dropping off around 6pm. But does anyone see any risk leaving it so late? because I have am leaving at 6AM next morning, and won't be able to try to drop off again if I miss this appointment. Has anyone had any issues with these appointments?

Wanted to repost this question again in case someone had any experience with it
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #113
ejonsson90
Private First Class
Iceland
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
I got an email from LogInOut that I can drop the car off after 4pm by appointment for 50EUR. Since we can maximize our day , I was thinking of using that option and dropping off around 6pm. But does anyone see any risk leaving it so late? because I have am leaving at 6AM next morning, and won't be able to try to drop off again if I miss this appointment. Has anyone had any issues with these appointments?

Wanted to repost this question again in case someone had any experience with it
Is this a Saturday drop off, or just after hours?

I did a Sunday morning drop off and paid handsomely for it - 200 EUR if I recall correctly. There were absolutely no issues with it. The LogInOut people are very punctual, reliable, and professional. I can't think of any risk in dropping off late.
2006 S4 25th Anniversary - #116/250
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #114
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejonsson90 View Post

I did a Sunday morning drop off and paid handsomely for it - 200 EUR if I recall correctly. There were absolutely no issues with it. The LogInOut people are very punctual, reliable, and professional. I can't think of any risk in dropping off late.
Thanks for the feedback.

Mine is just after hours. Their last appointment was at 3PM on normal hours, because they are done at 3.30pm. I didn't want to rush and drive from Rothenburg early just to return the car, so I thought I will pay EUR 50 for the after hours which goes until 6.30PM. So I booked a 6PM. After 7PM you pay EUR 200.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #115
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Do people still leave that note in the car from BMW ED Wiki in German/English saying to leave the plates in the trunk and not discard?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #116
ejonsson90
Private First Class
Iceland
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Mine is just after hours. Their last appointment was at 3PM on normal hours, because they are done at 3.30pm. I didn't want to rush and drive from Rothenburg early just to return the car, so I thought I will pay EUR 50 for the after hours which goes until 6.30PM. So I booked a 6PM. After 7PM you pay EUR 200.
Yeah, should be no problems at all then.

Quote:
Do people still leave that note in the car from BMW ED Wiki in German/English saying to leave the plates in the trunk and not discard?
I didn't have to - my car arrived at the dealer with both plates still on, and I actually am still driving it around Chicago with the Euro plate on the front That being said, I'm sure it can't hurt.
2006 S4 25th Anniversary - #116/250
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #117
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't, and both plates were there when I did PCD yesterday.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #118
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
I didn't, and both plates were there when I did PCD yesterday.
Did you inform them to keep the plates?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #119
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, should be no problems at all then.

I didn't have to - my car arrived at the dealer with both plates still on, and I actually am still driving it around Chicago with the Euro plate on the front That being said, I'm sure it can't hurt.

Nice! Chicago? I am from Madison. Good to know another member nearby.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #120
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you inform them to keep the plates?
No.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #121
vugz10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BB6 Prelude, F87 M2

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time with this - I've decided to leave a note in the glove compartment and trunk.

What's your itinerary look like? When and where will you be dropping off?
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #122
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugz10 View Post
I've spent a lot of time with this - I've decided to leave a note in the glove compartment and trunk.

What's your itinerary look like? When and where will you be dropping off?
I am taking delivery on 9/22 and dropping of on 9/28 in munich. Going to be driving to Austria as part of the trip
Appreciate 1
vugz1044.00
      09-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #123
vugz10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BB6 Prelude, F87 M2

Quote:
I am taking delivery on 9/22 and dropping of on 9/28 in munich. Going to be driving to Austria as part of the trip
Nice!

I'm picking up on 9/19 and dropping off on 9/24. Plan to visit the swiss alps and italian dolomites. Also looking forward to checking out oktoberfest

Have a great trip!

Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #124
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBeamer
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Keep in mind Munich has a rush hour too. I think I did a 3:30pm drop off and I hit a decent amount of traffic driving from the Welt to the airport. I also needed to stop at the Agip at the airport to wash my car first.

It's real easy to take the train back to the city too. We bought the multi rider pass and stopped at the Englischer Garten for a few beers.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #125
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugz10 View Post
Nice!

I'm picking up on 9/19 and dropping off on 9/24. Plan to visit the swiss alps and italian dolomites. Also looking forward to checking out oktoberfest

Have a great trip!

you too!
Appreciate 1
vugz1044.00
      09-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #126
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyDC View Post
Keep in mind Munich has a rush hour too. I think I did a 3:30pm drop off and I hit a decent amount of traffic driving from the Welt to the airport. I also needed to stop at the Agip at the airport to wash my car first.

It's real easy to take the train back to the city too. We bought the multi rider pass and stopped at the Englischer Garten for a few beers.
Do you know how they handle it if you are a little late due to traffic?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #127
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I was reading this extensive checklist one member put together for ED, it says to take one key with you after you return the car? is that something BMW advice you to do during the delivery process?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 04:28 PM   #128
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I was reading this extensive checklist one member put together for ED, it says to take one key with you after you return the car? is that something BMW advice you to do during the delivery process?
Yes, and IIRC, they'll tell you that at drop off as well.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2016, 03:14 AM   #129
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hey guys, took delivery yesterday!!! Yay!

But I have a quick question that's more of a mechanical one. The parking ramp at the hotel I stayed at had a very steep drive in, and our way out today, I had to hold the clutch a bit till the doors opened, and it smelled really bad, even when I drove to welt again, 1km drive, it had a bit of smell when I got there.

My question, is the clutch on the M4 normal to smell a bit when you hold it on a hill or if you ride it a bit by mistake?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #130
DE Urlaub
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '71 Pinzgauer 710K

Quote:

I dropped off in July at Frankfurt and it appears the transfer folks have a new form for you to sign which indicates your wishes for disposition of your EU plates and any vignettes. My car showed up in USA last week and both plates (I had no vignettes) were with the car. It sounds like they are being proactive as most folks want their EU plates and this form shows everyone that handles your car from drop-off to pick-up what your desires are. Hopefully all d-o points are doing this now. Anyone else with input from other d-o points?

Last edited by DE Urlaub; 09-23-2016 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: add
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #131
DE Urlaub
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '71 Pinzgauer 710K

Quote:
Hey guys, took delivery yesterday!!! Yay!

But I have a quick question that's more of a mechanical one. The parking ramp at the hotel I stayed at had a very steep drive in, and our way out today, I had to hold the clutch a bit till the doors opened, and it smelled really bad, even when I drove to welt again, 1km drive, it had a bit of smell when I got there.

My question, is the clutch on the M4 normal to smell a bit when you hold it on a hill or if you ride it a bit by mistake?
First off, cool that you have an MT!!! I assume you are comfortable with an MT, if so you should not be smelling a "really bad" smell. Since it persisted back to the Welt I would have someone take a look at it (at the Welt if possible). Good luck and let us know.

P.S. We're gonna need to see some pix of your adventure!!!!
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #132
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you!
Appreciate 0