Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Closed Thread

11-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #23
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
Not at all, I personally love the size and looks of the M2. That was the car I wanted to buy at first before getting the M4, but then when I did a little bit of research and found out about the Dakota leather being the only option, and since my wife owned a 428i Convertible with that same leather, heck no, it's the worst leather I've seen on any car. Then the tech and options, you have very little bells and whistles. Now I know the M2 is all about driving pleasure and I'm sure it's fun, but when I'm paying north of 60K+ for a car, even though the driving pleasure is the most important, it has to have all the tech and whatnot. This isn't 2005 anymore. Just my 2 cents and as I said told you whatever makes you happy is all that matters, not my personal take on the M2. and I wished you good luck man, where's the tolliness in my post?
When you talked about a basketball? I'm not a fan of soft leather like in the M4. It's prone to wear and tear. My friend took delivery of his M4 and the day he picked it up from the dealership, he was wearing jeans with big metal button pockets on the ass and he tore up the leather. I prefer the more durable leather like in the 2's. Also, your tone was very negative as though you were shitting all over me and my "downgrade" lol but your second post, the one I'm quoting here, was way better so I've removed the troll badge from you now in my mind because I can see you're a decent person. Let me also explain about what I was thinking with this move. You see, to me, the M4 was a compromise, not the M2. I had to go and spend all this money to get a V6 turbo M car. Now, I can spend a lot less to get a V6 turbo M car, and it makes me happy. I like the raw power without all the refinement and bells and whistles of the M3/4. I was wanting the buy the M2 in 2014 but it didn't exist. After they announced it and the dealers started taking orders I felt it was time to put my name on the list. 18 months later, it's now finally my turn, and I'm very glad. I'm also shocked to see how rare the M2 is, and how insane the demand is for it. The M4 is a production car in all its forms, they're now a dime a dozen. In fact, one major upset to me was to see how fast my 2 M4s depreciated. Not with the M2. The M2 will retain its value a lot more and be a rare car, something to be desired, maybe not as much as the 1M but surely more than the M3/4 series. To give you an example of this, go to Carmax and search for an M2. At the time of typing, there is only 1 and it costs 55,998 to buy it. THAT'S INSANE!! That's the price of a new one! My new one costs 55,850 the way I dressed it up. The only thing the one from Carmax has that mine doesn't is DCT. So if you factor that in, ($3k) that means it costs about 59k MSRP brand new. Have you ever seen a car depreciate at 5% when you drove it off the lot? I haven't. You lose at least 15% when you drive it off the lot, up to 30% depending on the car. The ironic thing is that you can now get a used M4 (MSRP $80) for about 55k with under 10k miles. Talk about depreciation. I change cars often, on average about once a year. It's nice to know that when I am going to want to dump the M2 (if ever haha!) I'm not going to lose my shirt like I did with both M4s.
termigni1081.00
F831355.50
      11-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #24
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
When you talked about a basketball? I'm not a fan of soft leather like in the M4. It's prone to wear and tear. My friend took delivery of his M4 and the day he picked it up from the dealership, he was wearing jeans with big metal button pockets on the ass and he tore up the leather. I prefer the more durable leather like in the 2's. Also, your tone was very negative as though you were shitting all over me and my "downgrade" lol but your second post, the one I'm quoting here, was way better so I've removed the troll badge from you now in my mind because I can see you're a decent person. Let me also explain about what I was thinking with this move. You see, to me, the M4 was a compromise, not the M2. I had to go and spend all this money to get a V6 turbo M car. Now, I can spend a lot less to get a V6 turbo M car, and it makes me happy. I like the raw power without all the refinement and bells and whistles of the M3/4. I was wanting the buy the M2 in 2014 but it didn't exist. After they announced it and the dealers started taking orders I felt it was time to put my name on the list. 18 months later, it's now finally my turn, and I'm very glad. I'm also shocked to see how rare the M2 is, and how insane the demand is for it. The M4 is a production car in all its forms, they're now a dime a dozen. In fact, one major upset to me was to see how fast my 2 M4s depreciated. Not with the M2. The M2 will retain its value a lot more and be a rare car, something to be desired, maybe not as much as the 1M but surely more than the M3/4 series. To give you an example of this, go to Carmax and search for an M2. At the time of typing, there is only 1 and it costs 55,998 to buy it. THAT'S INSANE!! That's the price of a new one! My new one costs 55,850 the way I dressed it up. The only thing the one from Carmax has that mine doesn't is DCT. So if you factor that in, ($3k) that means it costs about 59k MSRP brand new. Have you ever seen a car depreciate at 5% when you drove it off the lot? I haven't. You lose at least 15% when you drive it off the lot, up to 30% depending on the car. The ironic thing is that you can now get a used M4 (MSRP $80) for about 55k with under 10k miles. Talk about depreciation. I change cars often, on average about once a year. It's nice to know that when I am going to want to dump the M2 (if ever haha!) I'm not going to lose my shirt like I did with both M4s.
V6? LOL
No comment 😉
Appreciate 1
IM2C2066.50
      11-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #25
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Quote:
V6? LOL
No comment 😉
Sorry I meant 6 cylinder engine...
      11-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #26
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Yeah thanks man, in no way was I meaning to belittle your change in car (I wouldn't call it a downgrade as each car has its purpose)

you're right, that dakota leather can take a lot of abuse and you wouldn't see a scratch, I remember in my wife's 428i Convertible, I would put bags, cat boxes, hard items, and the seats were like rock solid.

Additionally you're spot on about the M2 depreciating less. The thing is, where I live in Dubai, there are so many M4s for sale in the used car market it's not even funny, the cars are losing like up to 40% in the first year alone! I've never seen a car go down in value that much and so fast where as there are only 3 M2s for sale and they only went down by like 5-10% as you mention. Speaking of which,, over here in the Dubai BMW Dealership, out of all cars, the M2 is the only car which is not eligible for any corporate discount because of its rarity.

Keep us updated on your experience as I'd love to hear it.
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)

Last edited by Super Spartan; 11-20-2017 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
SteveSpy373.50
termigni1081.00
      11-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #27
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

Never really been a fan of the back end of the M2. I like a little junk in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #28
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
Never really been a fan of the back end of the M2. I like a little junk in the trunk.
Dang I prefer VS model trunk over Niki Minaj's
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #29
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
I agree. It's the only part of the car I dislike as well
      11-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #30
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Maybe you already read this but still posting incase you didn't......just my take on the M2 and how close I came to buying it just last week

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1441224

I am still interested in knowing your UNBIASED thoughts next year aboyt the M2 as compared to the M3/4

By the way, the M2 will depreciate. Just needs more time. it will likely hold its value better than the M3/4 mainly because of the lesser number produced but it will certainly go down especially when the CS comes out. And the used M2 example you gave, most including me would just buy a new M2 for that price. The reason they were being priced so high was because of limited availability and dealers pricing them over MSRP but that has been chasing really fast. Almost all M2's are available at MSRP. My dealer offered me the M2 at $750 below MSRP and has 2 available. If I do a 50 mile search around me, I have 3-4 for sale posted at MSRP. Once the supply increases the used value will fall. That's how the market works. Personally, the resale value would be far down in my list of priorities when making a decision between the M2 and M3/4. The decision would be purely on what excites me more ��

Anyways, good luck and keep us posted on what you think.

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 11-21-2017 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
SteveSpy373.50
      11-22-2017, 02:18 AM   #31
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
You lose at least 15% when you drive it off the lot, up to 30% depending on the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
By the way, the M2 will depreciate.
Spy, why on Earth would you not lease a BMW?? I can see a Porsche or Benz, which have much worse lease financing (and with Porsche you can do much better on the used market), but why even worry about depreciation given you like change cars?

Just look at it as a monthly cash flow project, lease, take advantage of BMWFS owning the risk, and if you really like one THEN buy it.

Anyway, I get it, personal choice, blah blah blah, and not trying to start a finance debate, I'm just always so curious on this ...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #32
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
You lose at least 15% when you drive it off the lot, up to 30% depending on the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
By the way, the M2 will depreciate.
Spy, why on Earth would you not lease a BMW?? I can see a Porsche or Benz, which have much worse lease financing (and with Porsche you can do much better on the used market), but why even worry about depreciation given you like change cars?

Just look at it as a monthly cash flow project, lease, take advantage of BMWFS owning the risk, and if you really like one THEN buy it.

Anyway, I get it, personal choice, blah blah blah, and not trying to start a finance debate, I'm just always so curious on this ...
@GrussGott !!!!!!!!!

I knew it was only a matter of time before your dirty avatar came to pollute my post!! How are you man!? Long time no post!! To answer your questions:

1) BMW is financing at 0% right now so I can't turn away free money.
2) I change cars much sooner than a 36 month lease will allow. A 24 month lease has stupid terms. I've been caught having to dump a car half way through the lease term and I took a big hit. I'll never do that again.
3) In all honesty I think I would keep the M2 for a really long time as a collectible maybe. It's so rare I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up makin it to cult status and the demand stays high decades onwards. You may think I'm crazy but I have a hunch.
termigni1081.00
      11-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #33
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@GrussGott !!!!!!!!!

I knew it was only a matter of time before your dirty avatar came to pollute my post!! How are you man!? Long time no post!! To answer your questions:

ah, gotcha, well hey come back and post pics of your M2, you're old school at this point
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #34
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
@GrussGott !!!!!!!!!

ah, gotcha, well hey come back and post pics of your M2, you're old school at this point
No doubt ma man... the title of this post shouldn't be that I'm leaving you guys because I lost my virginity to the F8x forum and I will never forget my roots!!!
      11-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #35
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I would be happy with an M2 if I didn't own an M4 for so long. I drove one back to back on the track with an m3 and I could definitely feel the difference in the refinement, ride quality and the interior touches. I would probably prefer the M2 as a track/race/play car, but as an all-arounder and daily driver, it is hard to beat the F8x at the price you can get one these days (my 2018 was cheaper than my 2015). I hope my tone isn't too negative... its just an opinion. In the end, the M2 is a fantastic car. I just don't think it is really the same type of car the M3/M4 is, so as a replacement, I think I would be disappointed.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18174.50
      12-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #36
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
After careful consideration, it's not an M2 but a 535i... I know I know, embarrassing to leave the world of M after all this pure pleasure but I could pass up this offer... dynamic driving package M sport (of course) and pretty much fully loaded.
Attached Images

12-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #37
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

After careful consideration, it's not an M2 but a 535i... I know I know, embarrassing to leave the world of M after all this pure pleasure but I could pass up this offer... dynamic driving package M sport (of course) and pretty much fully loaded.
Appreciate 1
IM2C2066.50
      12-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #38
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

woah, this thread turned into a complete 180!!! hope you're happy and keen on hearing your deal
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #39
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Damn, that was quick, lol.
      12-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #40
ZoomZoomZEmmy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Stripper 6M

I test drove the M2 and The M4 back to back and when I drove the M4 my legs were kinda shaking with excitement. I never felt that with the M2 so I went with the M4 and have zero regrets
Appreciate 1
Tinilp46.50
      12-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #41
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Personally the off center seating position really bothers me about the M2.
The LCI ones look great and for the price they are worth it but i would not choose it over M3/4.
M2 owner here; sorry to intrude in the real M car section. I can see the off-center seat but I swear on my families lives you never notice that when driving. I'm outta here.
Appreciate 3
IS+1239.50
D CHOI581.00
termigni1081.00
      12-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #42
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
After a week of driving the 535 I like it, it's a very boat like car though going from an M4 to this. It's nice and luxurious for sure, all kinds of nice luxury and the dynamic driving is really cool but something just doesn't fit. I'm kind of glad I didn't cancel the M2 order yet, I think I'm going to test drive it when it comes in and decide then...
      12-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #43
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
After a week of driving the 535 I like it, it's a very boat like car though going from an M4 to this. It's nice and luxurious for sure, all kinds of nice luxury and the dynamic driving is really cool but something just doesn't fit. I'm kind of glad I didn't cancel the M2 order yet, I think I'm going to test drive it when it comes in and decide then...
It's hard to go back to non-Ms, especially the way BMW is headed (perhaps even with M cars)...Based on initial reviews, the G90 M5 would be my choice if I wanted a large luxury/sport/automatic transmission car.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #44
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Quote:
It's hard to go back to non-Ms, especially the way BMW is headed (perhaps even with M cars)...Based on initial reviews, the G90 M5 would be my choice if I wanted a large luxury/sport/automatic transmission car.
What way is BMW headed? Can u elaborate?
Closed Thread